• Published 13th Jan 2020
  • 1,050 Views, 1,404 Comments

6 Universal Nights - The Blue EM2



Journey to a place of magic... just not the magic the builders intended.

  • ...
5
 1,404
 1,050

PreviousChapters Next
Night 5: Don't Mine at Night

It was late at night, and Tom was somewhat restless in his sleep. He was struggling to doze off, even at midnight, which was unlike him as he could usually just drop off to sleep with minimal effort. However, his mind was full of scorpions and other such problems, and he wrestled with them all that day.

You will probably have picked up, of course, that he had now returned to normal. Whether this had any effect is a mystery, but that's not our concern right now. What happened next caused him to awaken.

"Are you awake?" asked a voice. Tom suddenly sat up.

"Who's there?" he asked. He reached for the bedside light and turned it on.

Standing next to the window was a woman with pale skin and waving hair of cobalt, turquoise, light blue, and pink. She wore a white lowcut dress with exposed sleeves, and the widest skirt that Tom had ever seen. It must have been at least six feet in diameter. The dress itself had golden lining and trim, and the dome of the skirt seemed to part at the front, revealing the second layer below (Tom, not being an expert on these garments, had no idea how many layers of underskirts this woman was wearing). She wore a golden necklace with a purple gem set into it, and a golden crown with another purple gem.

Tom clicked who it was. "Princess Celestia?" he asked.

The woman nodded. "I can see that you are troubled. May I speak with you?"

"Well, I'll admit your highness-"

"Please, just Celestia. You have no idea how tiresome it can get with 'your highness' this, 'your highness' that."

"Yes, it would be nice to have somebody to talk to." Tom nodded, and turned in his bed so Celestia could sit down. He initially wondered if she'd struggle to move in that gown, but the ease with which she stepped over, spread her skirts, and then sat down indicated she was used to these sorts of situations.

Celestia indicated for Tom to sit next to her, so he did. "Is it your ability that troubles you?"

"Yes," Tom sighed, noticing how informal he had become in his speech. "I've been... afflicted with this for about a year now, and it shows no sign of stopping. Jimmy's been through it for years, and I have no idea how or when it works or is set off. His consistently occurs on monday's, but Katrina and I... we experience it in bursts, then it stops, then starts up again without warning."

"Is that Jimmy Hook you're talking about?" Celestia asked.

"Yes, actually."

"Luna has been in correspondance with him for a while, and visits him occasionally."

Tom facepalmed. "So he wasn't being weird when he said he was talking to Luna. God, I'm such an idiot! I've probably badly hurt him with what I said."

Celestia put her arm around him, and drew him into a hug. Her manner was not that of a monarch, or a conqueror. It was the manner of a loving mother comforting her son. "It's OK for friends and family to fight," she said, calmly and in a soothing voice. "Luna and I don't always get along. But as long as you make up for your mistakes, it will all turn out fine in the end." She then paused. "After all, I have watched you for longer than you know, and all from your world. But you and your friends are blessed."

"How?" Tom asked.

"Because you know we are real. So many dismiss us as figments of fiction, or of sad man in basements, but you know the truth of Equestria's existence. And you are a noble, brave, and upright soul. One who would fight for his friends to the bitter end, and as such you are always welcome in Equestria."

Tom sighed, as Celestia released him. "Thank you, Celestia. I needed that. I need to reconcile with Jimmy."

Celestia smiled, and nodded as she got up and stepped toward the window. "I must return to Equestria now," she explained. "But I shall leave a journal by which we can communicate. Luna has already offered to swap with Jimmy every now and then, and I would be happy to do the same with you, or maybe visit every now and then. But until then, goodbye." In that instant, she began to glow, and faded from sight.

Tom fell back into his bed, exhausted. "Celestia... knows me?" he said quietly. "I wonder what that was all about."


Later in the morning, Tom awoke from his slumber and wandered over to the mirror, yawning. It was just like the shift in clocks that happened every year that annoyed him. His brain felt like it was partially jetlagged. He usually took it well, given he was used to it, having flown back and forth across the Atlantique (train joke) many times, he still felt oddly tired. So onwards he wandered, as his eyes darted back and forth, looking for something.

"Boy did I have a weird dream last night," he grumbled. "Being visited by one of the princesses? That's just absurd. It'd never happen."

Then he saw something that caught his attention. The journal he'd seen mentioned was there, as well as a small pendant with the emblem of the sun on it.

"So it was true," Tom said to himself. "I know what I must do now." After showering and getting dressed, he went outside his room, over to Jimmy's door, and knocked on it.

"Honestly, it's 7 in the morning, it's way too early!" Jimmy replied, as loud footsteps approached the door. The door swung open after the bolt disengaged, and there was Jimmy, looking like he had been dragged through a bush backwards. "It's not breakfast yet, and-"

"Sorry about what I said yesterday," Tom said abruptly.

"What?" Jimmy asked. "Sorry about what?"

Tom held up the sun journal and the pendant. "Celestia left me this. If Luna's coming to see you, Celestia must have been aware of our scuffle yesterday and chose to visit to help us fix the problem."

"Hey, we're friends. Of course I forgive you." There was another moment of silence. "Let me get showered and cleaned, and then I'll join you and the others in the lobby."

"Are you sure you don't need a haircut?" Tom asked.

"Men can have long hair too, you know!"

"Just a little less knotted up, I imagine," Tom replied as the door closed. "Heaven knows how he doesn't get it caught in anything." He headed off downstairs.


Today saw Tom avoiding a damaged jaw. Today saw a motion simulator combined with (you guessed it) screens. However, this was actually a good ride with screens. Somebody once told him the world was going to roll him, as he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But he had his friends, which mattered most to him. Tom was going to ride on Shrek 4-D. This attraction was based on the film that took the film scene, audiences, and the internet by storm with its parodies of fantasy films and memworthy content (as well a provision to hastily vacate boggy areas). However, it had replaced a much loved attraction, the only one that had worked on opening day in 1987, Alfred Hitchcock: the Art of Making Movies.

As Tom joined the queue, he could've sworn he heard very aggressive playing of stringed instruments in discordant octaves and notes. But he dismissed it as interference on the speakers, as they got hearded into the pre-show room. He remembered this from when he wore a younger man's clothes, and that it was seriously funny.

As the Magic Mirror began to speak and tell the story of Shrek to those very few that had never seen the film, Tom soon felt off, and glanced about to try and ascertain the cause of his troubles. "Oh, not again! In a preshow of all places!"

His height began to decrease quite noticably, and as he lost height, something that had never been observed before started. His clothing changed with it. His blue shirt shrank onto his body, staying in roughly the same design, but changed colour to cream, followed by a brown hoodie appearing on top of that said shirt with something blocky in the pocket. The hood was, of course, in the down position, so he could see where he was going, but he felt at his face as he felt it begin to shift. Though, oddly, it didn't seem to be moving into a feminine shape. It was younger, yes, but most certainly male.

His brown eyes turned an orangey tone, whilst his brown hair turned alternating shades of chocolate brown (thus, a noticably brighter shade). Not that he could see this of course, but he could feel the fact it was decidedly NOT growing longer, firmly locked in a boy's haircut. His body finished decreasing in size, and his pants changed to blue, otherwise not changing at all. To round off, his now tiny shoes changed to a pair of red and white sneakers, held in place with white laces.

The lights came up, and Tom glanced in the mirror, to see he now had greyish skin in addition to everything else. Then a critical clue as to who he was appeared on his head. A beanie cap in alternating shades of red, yellow, and orange, and a perpetually spinning propellor despite a lack of wind or power source.

"WAIT, WHAT?"


The ride was just as amusing as he (you know what, let's call him Button from now on) recalled it. The basic story concerned Shrek trying to save Fiona from the ghost of Lord Ffarquhar, who had died at the end of the first film, and the various shenanigans he went through on the way. The plot was thin, but the special effects more than made up for it. Though the spiders could have been cut quite easily. Air jets are weird.

Once it was over, Button strolled outdoors and looked about. "So, I'm still male, which is a relief. I've still got that. Wouldn't want to steal Jimmy's thunder, after all. Just what's the bet this curse will try to ship me with Kat again?" He sighed as he produced his JoyBoy from his pocket and began to play.

After a few minutes, he decided to walk elsewhere. He found himself strolling for the edge of the park, when suddenly, a familiar voice attracted his attention. "Button! Over here!"

Button's head snapped over, to see-

"Sweetie Belle!"

There she was, the love of his life, sitting there with an ice cream and a massive grin on her face. "Come on! Don't you wanna chat?"

"Just a second, let me get an ice cream!" Button replied, buying a chocolate one with the coins that had magically materialised in his pocket. His ice cream procured, he went and sat down with his girlfriend. "So, how's it going?"

"It's been awesome!" Sweetie Belle replied, her voice cracking a fair bit. "I was in Islands of Adventure, and amongst other things I went to the stunt show! It was great!"

"You aren't referring to the Eighth Voyage of Sinbad, are you?" Button asked, confused, licking his ice cream. "AHHHHH! Brain freeze!"

"Stick your tongue on the roof of your mouth." Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes. "Anyways, I am. Why?"

"That closed last year."

Sweetie Belle just looked confused. "Then... what did I go on? Is this the Twilight Zone?"

"Hello there!" said Twilight, sitting down next to them.

Button facepalmed. "This day is very confusing."

Author's Note:

Love him or loathe him, Button Mash is one of the fandom's most significant characters, and the subject of its greatest legal battle (which we sadly lost). But even if there will be no more Button videos, we can still write fanfiction.

And yes, Tom is still TFing into male characters. It adds variety (yes, Jimmy, I'm talking to you). But Tom is not the only person to have ended up as Button.

TMessing with Your Buttons
A secretive brony gamer gets to fulfill his life-long dream!
Thunderous · 26k words  ·  19  5 · 750 views

Whilst reading this, why not enjoy All Star as you've never heard it before?

Psycho is briefly referenced in this chapter. One of the most significant horror films ever made, in many regards it is the first slasher despite the low body count.

PreviousChapters Next