• Published 13th Jan 2020
  • 1,050 Views, 1,404 Comments

6 Universal Nights - The Blue EM2



Journey to a place of magic... just not the magic the builders intended.

  • ...
5
 1,404
 1,050

PreviousChapters Next
Night 3: Mist on the River

As fate would have it for some bizarre reason, several members of our intrepid team were in Islands of Adventure that day. Misty was one of them, and she was on her way to something a bit different to what the others were riding. What the others were wearing was irrelevant given that the items of clothing they wore would inevitably give way to completely different ones, but let's not get bogged down in specifics here. Whilst not having a problem with big thrill rides per se, Katrina did sometimes fancy something a little lighter and cheerfuller (which is now a word, apparently, as is Twilighting), and where she was headed today would fit that bill quite nicely, she so thought to herself. Strolling past Tom suddenly whizzing past her and flying through the air, crashing into something, she figured that something was now amiss for him.

"I wonder who he'll be today?" she asked, having become so blase about this the fact odd things were occuring to her and her friends never really bothered her anymore. The rain had at least gone, and the sun was out, for we are no longer in a sad scene and are now in a happy scene. Having just left Marvel Super Heor Island, she had arrived at her destination. And her destination was Toon Lagoon, a section of the park given over to classic cartoon characters like Woody Woodpecker and Dudley Do-Right. The latter of the two was her current target, although apparently Dudley mainly appealed to Canadians rather than Americans (which made the film's casting even more odd; a Canadian character played by an American was an interesting reversal from the usual convention of Canadians playing every nationality under the sun). Anyways, the cartoon had led to a ride that was a log flume, based on a 'lost' cartoon, but it was time to start queuing. As she walked to join the queue, Ink sped by in a hurry (but not pretending to be like Gordon).

"Sorry!" he called. "I can't stop and chat! I need to catch a pteranodon!" And he vanished into the distance before Misty could reply.

Misty laughed. "Well, that was weird."

(Note to readers: every time a character in this story says that phrase, take a drink.)

She walked over to join the queue line, and then stopped as she felt something a little off.

(Take a drink for that as well.)

It was soon clear to her that something, as usual, was wrong. She stopped to check if anything had changed.

Not a thing had.

"Well, that's handy!" she said, and then went onwards. "False alarm! Though I'll probably get quite wet on this one."


She, on her great adventure of queueing, passed through multiple themed areas, such as a mysterious hideout, and a room that pastiched old Universal films in the style of old silent comedies. As she strolled along, long, long, she strolled along, strolled along, long, long, she strolled along, she was suddenly aware of a pulling sensation in her hair.

"Hey!" she yelled. "Who touched me?"

"Nobody did," said a voice behind her. "But that hair of yours is suddenly a ponytail, that wasn't before."

And the voice was indeed right. Once more, Katrina was to bid goodbye to her usual appearance. A cursory examination of her hair with the assistance of her hands revealed a pair of side swept bangs running along the top of her forehead (but no finger and thumb in the shape of an L). In addition, a reflective object nearby revealed a blue pigment spreading through the usually brown pigment sat atop her scalp.

"OK, I have no idea who this is."

Her eyes shifted to blue, the only colour for a really useful engine I mean, the circumstances! Anyhoozle, that seemed to be it for bodily changes of any description, as there was no change to her eyesight (an interesting variation on the usual formula), and this led to her not noticing the line moving. Although her skin turned pink.

"Ah! Need to go!" she exclaimed, her voice still exactly the same. Onwards into the queue she went, into another room with a talking bear and a talking beaver talking about Canadian things like maple syrup (as apparently Canadians eat nothing else). Katrina's clothes, on the other hand, had not been content to merely sit idle and watch on at this metamorphosis, and got in on the fun. Her shirt was replaced with a purple T shirt, with a dark blue denim jacket sat upon that, and her jeans split into a pair of black leggings and a magenta skirt with an emblem of a pink and blue heart with a gold cross sat upon the top (an X or the other type? I have no idea). Her shoes, also keen on having some fun in that regard, morphed into a pair of high top boots that sparkled despite there being no obvious light source.

Katrina looked at her getup, still having no clue who this was. "Just the worst attire for a water ride," she sighed, and joined the access pen for the log flume.


After taking her seat in the front row, the log was closed off, and it rolled forward, past another pair of beavers and up past a scene of two people talking. One, a woman, was demanding to be let go, whilst an evil sounding man (no doubt twirling his moustache as he spoke) was essentially saying escape was futile. The boat rounded a bend, and with blaring of trumpets and orchestras, who should appear on horseback but...

Dudley Do-Right, riding on his steed (backwards). The boat dropped down a small drop, but then the lights came up on an evil looking man carrying a woman, who had presumably not agreed to being carried. The whole thing looked so tacky as to be laughable, not what you'd expect of a high tier theme park, and the boat then executed a small drop and rounded a bend, with Dudley being nearly pushed off a nearby waterfall. Moments later, the moustached man was there again, with a boulder. As they rolled forward, the boat entered the Wontyabe Mine (Katrina groaned at the awful pun). After going past another nonsensical show scene, they were outdoors again, and saw the evil man tying the woman up. The boat then rounbed another bend, and went into the inconspicuously labelled 'Hideout'.

Passing a tied up Mountie, they were suddenly hurled into the path of an oncoming train! Luckily, the boat dropped into a steep drop and they were saved, although they got a bit wet. They sailed around a bit, and into a sawmill (cause what else; stereotypical Canada!), and passed under spinning blades before falling through another drop and getting even wetter. They floated around a flat section with some vaguely heroic music playing, before turning a bend and going up a slope. And getting wet again.

Suddenly, they were in a room filled with explosives! The boat stopped moments before the drop. And suddenly, they flew down and were soaked.

"That was just like Splash Mountain!" Katrina replied, before realising her vision was misty (her glasses had vanished into oblivion). Wait a second...

"Hey, maybe I'm my OC!"


And with that, the ride was over. Misty exited and stood outside, trying to dry out. "Why did I wear artificial fibres today?" she asked. "Getting this lot cleaned and dried will be a nightmare!"

"Hey, ya need some help?" asked an American sounding voice. Misty looked over to see a couple she knew fairly well standing there.

"Yup, 'cause there's some machine dryers over there," Bright Mac told her. "An' you look like ya could do with a dryin' out."

"Thanks Mister MacIntosh!" Misty replied, and headed off on her way.

Bright looked at his wife. "How did she know mah name?"

"Beats me," Pear replied. "Perhaps she's a pegasister." Suddenly, her phone beeped. "It's from... Autumn?"

She played the voicemail, and she was promptly barraged with singing.

Bright laughed. "Well, that give a whole new meanin' ta 'singin' telegram'!"

Author's Note:

If anybody can spot the song reference in the title, expect a cookie.

I would recommend this ride as it is pretty amusing, not to mention a great way to cool down on a hot Florida day.

PreviousChapters Next