• Published 13th Jan 2020
  • 1,050 Views, 1,404 Comments

6 Universal Nights - The Blue EM2



Journey to a place of magic... just not the magic the builders intended.

  • ...
5
 1,404
 1,050

PreviousChapters Next
Night 3: The Perfect Pear

As seemed to be the pattern for the 3rd night in Universal Studios (and not that the pattern was that they were all in Universal Studios Islands of Adventure), John had headed off mainly on his own. Most if his friends had gone off to the left, as the attractions they had especially picked out were all in that direction. Weird, eh? Anyhoozle, John hat (had) turned off to the right to access the wubbulous world of Dr Seuss.

Wait a minute, that was a TV show. He had set his sights on travelling to Seuss Landing.

In the field of absurdist writing and children's stories, there are few writers who had as much of an impact as Theodore Seuss Geisel, better known by his pen name of Dr Seuss. Originally a military artist and documentary filmmaker, he later graduated to writing children's stories, producing classics such as The Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who!, Green Eggs and Ham, and Oh! The Places you'll Go! (the last of which is often given as a graduation gift). Dr Seuss' birthday has been adopted as America's national reading day, and his works have been adapted into many television shows, stage plays, and five films (including that dreadful live action take on The Cat in the Hat. Bleugh.). Somewhat more succesful was the decision to incorporate the works of Dr Seuss into Islands of Adventure as a place for both the young and young at heart, featuring all the usuals as well as One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, which has subsequently become an internet meme.

However, John was not interested in flying fish, as fascinating as the concept is. Instead, he was more interested in the resident dark ride there, based on a certain feline character. Whilst he walked through the area, he was briefly confused by the design of the place, and suddenly decided to go extremely British.

"I say!" he said, with a monocle and a top hat suddenly appearing out of nowhere. "One cannot see a single straight line anywhere! That must have been quite the engineering challenge! But," he added, "it does continue the spirit of the books, I dare say."

Once he was done speaking, the monocle and top hat vanished, and he proceeded onwards towards where he was going. Above him, The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride rolled along, giving younger visitors a nice aerial view of the park, whilst guests on One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish were blasted with water, unable to figure out the clever rhyme that allowed them to escape from the spitting fish. John took a slight curve to avoid a crowd that had assembled to meet a frankly horrifying rendition of the Cat in the Hat, he set himself forth to join the queue for The Cat in the Hat Ride, which took him through a recreation of the environment that opened the original book; it was a cold, wet, day, so the protagonists had nothing to do with themselves. The line wound through a garden with cartoon hedges, and eventually went into a house with even more crooked lines. The entire thing felt like an acid trip to John, and he stopped at the loading point ready to board... whatever the ride vehicles were called. Seussmobiles? It was as good a name as any, he thought. Anyways, as he was waiting, the ride operator glanced over to him.

"Nice hat," he said. "Do remember to remove your hat when the ride starts, or else it may get blown off!"

John was suddenly aware that it was very dark there, and removed said hat to look at it. It was an old stetson, with a U shaped curve set into the front (people, always remember to wear your stetson and other cowboy headgear correctly. It may save your life). He had dressed as usual that day, in a T shirt and a pair of fairly normal slacks, so was a little surprised to see his T shirt was suddenly now white.

"Of all the places," he said. "Hopefully I'll be in the dark before anything else happens."

As the ride vehicle commenced loading, John's shirt was suddenly complemented by a red jacket with brown labels, into which were set emblems of cut open apples with the cores clearly exposed. He sat down and boarded, raising his arms as the lap bars came down, and they were soon on their way. Good timing too, as his shoes changed into a pair of brown work boots, and it felt as though something was crawling along his legs and rear as his slacks morphed into denim. He was now clad in jeans.

As the ride finally got underway, John found that the entire thing felt even more like an acid trip than before. He could only infer something weird had been in the tea he'd had earlier (P.S. it was terrible. Americans should not be allowed to brew tea, period, just as British people should not be make coffee). As the ride went on and things got even more zany and weird, including juggling, mad things painting on walls, and strange things on screens (where the least weird thing was a cat doing a balancing act), John's other parts set about adjusting to his clothing choices. The lap bar suddenly felt oddly tight as he gained about six inches of height, and his skin turned yellow, soon joined by a pair of light green eyes that seemed to glow in the dark (but didn't, as that would be silly, and we don't tolerate silly around here). His short hair stayed short, but turned red, a crimson red, and not a nice aqua red. Otherwise, his physical build remained more or less unchanged, and as the madness came to an end at the other end, he got off and staggered into the sunlight.

"Well, that were a fever dream," he sighed, before stopping. "Wait a second, that voice don't sound familiar." He wandered over to a puddle that had formed a few minutes earlier. "Yellow skin and red hair. But not Apple Bloom-"

He then made the connection back. "Bright Mac." His face then drained of colour. "Pear! Where did Ah leave her?" Without a second thought, he headed back toward other sections of the park.


It was in Marvel Super Hero Island that Bright found her. He stopped in front of Storm Force Accelatron to see her stagger off the ride, looking very dizzy. "Howdy, sugarcube."

As a man offscreen complemented him for his marital choices, Pear walked over to her husband. "Hey Bright. How was Seuss Landin'."

"Pretty surreal," Bright replied. "Ah don't think Ma or Big Mac would have reacted ta it well."

"If that's the case," Pear answered, now smiling quite happily now her vision was no longer swimming, "should we look for Autumn? She's outside Men in Black, apparently."

"Year wish is mah command, sweetheart," Bright grinned, and the pair set off into the park, helping out a rather confused pink girl on the way as to how she could dry off.

"There they are!" Autumn called from a distance. "How are you two?"

"We had a bit of a weird ride experience," Bright admitted.

"An' don't bother with Storm Force Acellatron," Pear added. "It ain't worth the queue."

"But Spider man was, so, like worth it," Moonlight protested.

And so the debate was settled for another day.

Author's Note:

Now to round out the duo.

Writing about this ride was seriously difficult, as the Cat in the Hat gave me nightmares as a kid. I think it was his appearance and the fact he suddenly invaded their home.

Seriously. Imagine seeing that at night in your home. Terrifying stuff.

PreviousChapters Next