• Published 8th May 2019
  • 587 Views, 13 Comments

Fear of A Child - Bluecatcinema



A waking nightmare is on the horizon...

  • ...
4
 13
 587

Nightmare's End

The clock struck two. It has been a long night for everypony at the Canterlot Castle, having come face to face with Nightmare Moon for the third time in their lifetime (fourth if one were to count that one incident with Rarity, but that’s just details).

But alas, the night was not quite over yet, as Nightmare Moon, or rather Nyx, was seated in a study, having returned to her filly form just recently. Seated across a desk from her was none other than Luna, who had been eying the filly ever since she first came in and sat down across from her, having joined Nyx shortly after she had arrived in the study.

Yet, Luna hadn’t said a word to her, her gaze unreadable. It made Nyx feel anxious, not knowing whether or not the older mare was contemplating ways to erase her entire existence. Just the mere thought almost scared her more than anything Secret did to her…

“Um…” Nyx spoke up, hoping to break the silence (and dispel her anxiety), “...Do you know where papa is? I… I didn’t see him when I was escorted back inside…”

“He’s in the infirmary.” Luna told her.

“...Is he…?” Nyx felt wetness in her eyes.

“He is fine.” Luna declared, “All you did was reopen a fresh wound. Your ‘papa’ is a lot tougher than he lets on.”

“Oh… as long as he is okay…” Nyx hugged her hooves to herself.

“What about you, Nyx?” Luna asked, “Are you okay?”

“...No, not really.” Nyx admitted, “...I’m really, really sorry for everything that happened. I didn’t mean for anypony to get hurt…”

“It wasn’t your fault, Nyx.” Luna said firmly, “You and your… ‘power’, were taken advantage of by a very awful pony. You may have been the one that killed them, but the fault for their murders lies with Secret.”

“What about that pony in the park, or that angry pony at the warehouse?” Nyx murmured.

“...They were accidents.” Luna declared, “Nothing more. From what I understand, both have threatened your safety, and you lashed out in a way you couldn’t control.”

"But it was still me." Nyx pointed out, still feeling guilt-ridden. "I did that to them..."

"It’s alright." Luna assured her. "We all make mistakes during stressful moments."

Nyx bowed her head, unconvinced.

“...But there is something I want to know.” Luna began, “...How long?”

“How long what?” Nyx frowned.

“How long did you know that you were Nightmare Moon?” Luna clarified, “...I saw how you looked at me when we first met… and I did hear you mention Sombra back on the bridge… not many ponies are privy to how Nightmare Moon truly came to be… you knew who I was, even before we actually met, didn’t you?”

“...Yes… yes, I did.” Nyx admitted, “I knew from the very beginning… Papa didn’t make it any secret that I was Nightmare Moon. One of the first things he taught me was how it was I came to be, and that I came from a ‘very important’ pony. But even before then, I have had… glimpses of what I think was my previous lives…”

“Previous lives?” Luna frowned.

“Yeah… they come and go, but I remember being in what seemed like a big hall and there was some party. Then I remember a ruined castle, and six ponies floating in mid air with these weird trinkets on them… and lastly, me and you were in some cave in a mountain somewhere and there was this lunar eclipse…” Nyx listed off, before noting the look in Luna’s eyes, “Did those things actually happen?”

“...Yes. Yes they have.” Luna nodded, “...But why the change in name?”

“It was Papa’s idea.” Nyx bowed her head, “He felt that I would fit in better if I didn’t share a name with somepony who almost brought everlasting night… I know she… or rather… I am not a very well-liked pony…”

“...Well, you would be right.” Luna bluntly agreed, “After all, it’s not every day you look upon what is essentially your own dark side… in a body of a little filly.”

“Yeah, I know…” Nyx rubbed one of her shoulders, “...Do you hate me?”

“...I honestly don’t know.” Luna admitted with a sigh, “I mean, it has taken me years to leave that part of myself behind, the part of myself that got me trapped in the moon for a thousand year, separated me from everypony, including my sister. But then that very part comes walking into the castle….”

“I know…” Nyx nodded glumly, “...Does that mean you’re going to…” She gulped, “...G-get rid of me?”

“...No.” Luna declared.

“...What?” Nyx lit up in shock, “...But why?”

“Look, you may be Nightmare Moon. That much I am certain.” Luna admitted, “But at the same time, you’re not. The Nightmare Moon I knew back then was a mare hellbent on bringing everlasting night, woe betide anypony who stood in her way. But you… you don’t seem to share any of her dark inclinations. In fact, from what I’ve seen of you, maniacal rage aside, you are a gentle-hearted filly who wishes no harm on any pony. It’s clear to see that you are your own filly… and despite my own grievances with Nightmare Moon, I believe you deserve to live your own life.”

“I… I don’t know what to say…” Nyx whispered, before smiling warmly, “...Thank you.”

“...However, there will be a discussion as to what is going to be done with you.” Luna added firmly.

“...Oh.” Nyx’s smile faded.

"Don't worry." Luna placed a hof on her shoulder. "I'm sure things will turn out okay for you."

"And my papa?" Nyx asked hopefully.

"Hmm." Luna mused. "That's a little more complicated..."

Meanwhile, Nabudis was in the infirmary, his knife wound properly stitched up and healing... while he was getting chewed out by Gothic.

“Really, Som?” Gothic scowled, “Really?! I haven’t seen you in Gusty-knows-how-many years, and when I do see you again, you try to kidnap a filly and turned out to be a Forefather-”

“Ex-Forefather.” Nabudis corrected, cringingly taking Gothic's vitriol.

“Whatever!” Gothic snapped, “And then I find out that the filly you were kidnapping turned out to be Nightmare Moon of all ponies, and that she was a part of yet another world domination plot. What’s worse, turns out Sacred, the world’s most charitable pony, was in on it, and so was his son! All three of you were in on it!”

“Wait a minute, Secret was the one who made it about world domination.” Nabudis glared, “Sacred and I never wanted that.”

“Whether you wanted it or not, your ‘project’ has caused so much trouble.” Gothic snarled, “Lots of property damage, numerous innocent lives lost, and, this one is my personal favorite, putting my family in danger!” Gothic let out another snarl, “Faust dammit, if you weren’t my friend, I would have you rotting in the deepest hole for the rest of your life!”

“...And you would be right to do so.” Nabudis sighed, “...I’m sorry, Gothic… I have done some terrible things in the name of the Forefathers, but I never meant for you or your family to get involved.”

“How did you even end up running with those monsters, anyhow?” Gothic asked, “You never once struck me as one to associate himself with terrorists.”

“...It was Sacred.” Nabudis revealed, “Sacred recruited me.”

“Sacred? But why would he-” Gothic sputtered.

“Look, it’s complicated… Sacred didn’t agree with most of the ideologies, but he believed the Forefathers could help him in helping everyone in the world.” Nabudis sighed, “But back to the topic, he found me in a bar one day all those years ago. I hadn’t seen him since we were kids way back when, but when we got to talking… it was like we picked up where we left off. As we talked, Sacred told me about this organization that he joined up with, an organization that was out to change the world. And how he wanted to recruit me.”

“And you just went with it?” Gothic gaped.

“Hell no.” Nabudis scoffed, “I loved Sacred, but I didn’t trust this organization. I didn’t want to ostracize myself anymore than I already was… but somehow, Sacred anticipated that… and he showed me something.”

“What?” Gothic asked.

“A piece of Nightmare Moon’s armor.” Nabudis explained, “I had one myself. He told me one of the reasons he sought me out was that with the Forefathers’ help, there might be a chance I could bring Nightmare Moon back. If I were to throw in my lot with them, he swore he would work to help me bring her back, no matter what… and well, that kinda did it for me.”

"So it was all about bringing back Nightmare Moon." Gothic summarized. "I always knew you admired her, even putting her above Luna, but still..."

“...I won’t lie, I did go in with less than virtuous intent.” Nabudis admitted, guilt-ridden, “I only wanted to bring Nightmare Moon back, all to try and prove some silly point about how Nightmare Moon wasn’t all that bad. Or rather, that I wasn’t some misguided freak. I didn’t care what happened or what could come of bringing her back… but when Nyx came to me, as a little bundle of black fur… it became no longer about proving that Nightmare Moon wasn’t evil… it was about giving her a chance at a life where she is loved and cared for, a better life than what I was given…”

“Som…” Gothic frowned.

“Look, I don’t expect your forgiveness. Hell, I wouldn’t blame you if you hate me.” Nabudis shook his head.

“I don’t hate you, Nabudis.” Gothic told him, “...You’re my best friend, always have been, always will be. I think what you did was bat-crap insane… but at the same time, you were only trying to help a poor little filly. Somepony who’d do that can’t be all that bad.”

“...You’re a good friend, Gothic.” Nabudis smiled weakly, “I really don’t deserve someone like you.”

“I wouldn’t be so quick to say that.” Gothic sighed, “You know what’s going to happen to you right? Despite your best intentions, you were affiliated with terrorists. And after what happened to Brightdale, I don’t expect them to give you any leniency or mercy. And I don’t think Luna or I can help you…”

“And I don’t expect you to.” Nabudis shook his head, “I’ve done this to myself. Whatever punishment they wish to dole upon me, I’ll accept it.”

“Somnus, I…” Gothic began.

The door to the infirmary suddenly opened, as none other than Elite Everest came in. The two instantly took notice, as Nabudis’ eyes narrowed.

“Hello, your highness.” Elite nodded respectfully, “Hope I’m not interrupting.”

“What the- Director Everest?” Gothic gaped, “What are you doing here?”

“The captain called me.” Elite revealed, “He caught me up on all that had occurred over this past week, and when I heard a member of the Forefathers’ elite has turned himself in, I had to come in and see for myself.”

“...Well, here I am.” Nabudis said tersely.

“Prince, could I have some time alone with the doctor here? I have some private matters that need discussion. RDL matters.”

"...I suppose." Gothic reluctantly agreed, “I need to check up on Luna anyways…”

Gothic left the room, and Elite took a seat. Nabudis lay on the bed, silent.

"So." Elite cleared his throat. "Things really escalated, didn't they, ‘Doc’? Made quite a mess of things."

“Yeah, I guess they have.” Nabudis grunted, “...But let’s not beat around the bush here, you’re here to take me in and throw away the keys, right?”

“...Well, I don’t want to.” Elite shrugged, “Look, I know all about what you were trying to do. How you were trying to help Nyx, and how you abandoned the Forefathers even… but that doesn’t change the fact you committed some serious offenses. Something about doing ‘whatever it takes’ to get armor pieces?”

"All I wanted was to bring Nightmare Moon back." Nabudis scowled, nettled by Elite's claim. "True, I did a few illegal things to get the remnants of her being, but I had no nefarious plan for her. Neither did Sacred… but that didn’t matter to you, did it? Why else would he have gotten fatally injured in a scrap with one of your men, who if I am correct, was Black Knight Paladin!”

“Trust me, I am well aware of what transpired that night.” Elite said firmly, “It wasn’t our preferred outcome, but Sacred chose to stay behind so your lackeys could get away with the armor pieces, and he chose to resist when Black confronted him. It was self-defense.”

“Oh, and that gave Black the right to drop a ceiling on him?!” Nabudis snarled.

“All Black did was shoot his hoof.” Elite glared, “The recoil of having his hoof shot caused him to aim at the ceiling which then dropped on him. It was an accident.”

“It doesn’t matter how it happened!” Nabudis roared, “...The ceiling didn’t kill Sacred outright, you know. He was still alive when we had some of our agents fished him out of the rubble while you guys weren’t looking. But he had nearly every bone in his body broken, half of his organs punctured, and half of his nerves severed. To even say he was alive was pushing it!”

Elite’s eyes widen in shock.

“He was completely and utterly crippled, and I cannot begin to describe the immense pain he was in.” Nabudis clenched his hooves, wetness in his eyes, “Surely you know how the Forefathers operate, don’t you? They dispose of ponies who are no use to them anymore. They have to put him down, Faust dammit! I had to sit back and let them mercifully snuff out a pony I loved so damn much! All Sacred was trying to do was help me, and you-Black-the RDL… you all just...”

Nabudis turned away, stifling a sob, his body shaking. Elite was taken aback by the anger and grief that the former Forefather had just let out…

The old director took a moment to think about his next words…

“...I had no idea, Mr. Nabudis.” Elite said somberly, “We were not aware of what had befallen Mr. Dysley. We assumed he had perished in the rubble.” He rubbed his head, letting out a sigh, “You know, in this line of work, you don’t tend to think about the pony you are fighting with. If you try to equinize them, it’d make your job a lot harder… I know this is years too late… but we’re sorry for your loss, and we wish things could have been resolved differently.”

Nabudis’s shaking slowed to a stop…

“However… and I do not want you to think this justifies anything, because it doesn’t, but you have to look at things from our perspective.” Elite continued, adopting a firm glance, “What proof did we have that suggests you or Sacred weren’t going to use Nightmare Moon for evil? Especially with the Forefathers’ very long track record? It’s not like we could have just asked what you had planned or anything.”

Nabudis remained silent.

“The bottom line is… if not you and Sacred, somepony else would probably and gladly make use of a certain alicorn’s potentially dangerous dark side… I mean, just look at what Secret tried to pull. We had to respond accordingly.” Elite admitted, “Do you understand?”

“...I do…” Nabudis shook his head, “But it really doesn’t matter… not anymore. Sacred is dead. Secret is probably long gone by now. I don’t even know what’s going to happen to Nyx… and I’ll be heading to prison for the rest of my life, meaning everything I have done has been for nothing.”

"Not necessarily." Elite smiled enigmatically.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nabudis asked suspiciously.

"Simple." Elite replied. "If you were to give me some information that could help us regarding the Forefathers, then perhaps we could work out a deal… you could avoid a prison cell… but since Secret is still out there, and who knows who else, you will have to go into hiding for an indefinite amount of time.”

Nabudis snorted indifferently.

"Oh, please. Even if I wanted to help, there's nothing I have that would help you." He declared.

"Surely you must know something, being an Ouroboros and all..." Elite reasoned.

"Oh, really?" Nabudis scoffed. "Did Sterling have anything to tell you when he joined?"

"Not really." Elite conceded. "All Sterling told us was the stuff about Bad Dreams, and the serum. But still, maybe you know what the Forefathers have in the pipeline. Any sort of poisons, or something in your medical field?"

"One, I haven't been back at Infinity for months." Nabudis pointed out. "Two, bio-warfare was Gridlock and Harlhooves' department."

"Okay..." Elite pressed onwards, undaunted. "Then you should at least know where Infinity is."

"I don't know either." Nabudis shook his head. "Nopony in the Forefathers does except Father himself. Surely, Sterling told you this already."

"Come on, Nabudis." Elite continued on. "I want to help you. Think real hard. We can finally stop the Forefathers and prevent them from hurting other ponies. So that no more ponies will die, like Sacred."

“I would thank you for leaving him out of this.” Nabudis glared… which immediately softened, as he sighed in exasperation, “...Although, I think I might have something for you… but I highly doubt you’ll find it as useful.”

“I’ll be the judge of that.” Elite said, interested, “Go on…”

"Well, have you ever wondered how the Forefathers get supplies into Infinity?" Nabudis asked.

"Well, I'd assume by unmarked cargo airships." Elite shrugged.

"You're not wrong." Nabudis admitted. "But you have to consider that Infinity and the mountains around it are constantly covered in a perpetual blizzard. It makes for very dangerous flying conditions. We even lost a few over the years… because of that, there is actually another way. You're familiar with portals, right?"

"Yes, like the one they had in the Crystal Empire that leads to that one world with those two-legged creatures." Elite nodded.

"Well, yes and no." Nabudis said cryptically. "You see, the techs at Infinity, with the help of Father himself, had created these circular structures that serve as ‘gateways’, which they installed at the very bottom of Infinity. I heard them being coined as ‘supply tunnels’. By simply using a 'key', these gateways would turn on, and a portal would open, allowing one to go through to another gateway of their choosing."

"I see, delivery via portal." Elite mused.

"Correct." Nabudis nodded. "This process made moving supplies to Infinity a breeze. It also makes making a clean getaway should things go awry much easier."

"Well, this is certainly something we can use." Elite grinned, getting a bit giddy. "If we could find one of these portals, we could finally-"

"You're a fool if you think that it'd be that easy." Nabudis said bluntly.

"Huh?" Elite frowned.

“To start off, the number of these ‘supply tunnels’ that are situated outside of Infinity is very small and scattered to the far corners of the world.” Nabudis explained, “And before you ask, I can’t even begin to tell you where to find even one of them. Knowledge of the supply tunnels is strictly classified, even to an Ouroboros. Only a certain few knows their locations... and even if you were to find one, it'd be of no use to you without a working key."

"A working key?" Elite repeated.

"You should know. Those pendants we agents keep on ourselves?" Nabudis reminded him.

"Oh, those?" Elite caught on.

"Yes." Nabudis smiled. "They're not just for proof of membership. They are blessed with Father's magic, and it is with a blessed pendant that a supply tunnel is activated. Not sure how it works, but the magic is what turns the portal on."

"So we need a pendant." Elite summarized. "That's no problem, we literally have boxes of them at this point-"

"Again, you're a fool." Nabudis interrupted, earning another frown from Elite. "Father has planned contingencies for every possible scenario that could potentially lead to the discovery of Infinity. These pendants are blessed with his magic but they only work if the owner of said pendant has not been compromised."

"Compromised? You mean if the owner defects?" Elite asked.

"If he defects. If he is captured. If he is killed. If he is robbed." Nabudis listed. "If he utters even a hint of a Forefather to an uninitiated creature, the pendant will lose the blessing and it becomes nothing more than a gaudy collectible."

"...So essentially, these supply tunnels are near impossible to find, and near impossible to use?" Elite frowned.

"I'm sorry." Nabudis sighed. "But that is all I know that you didn't already."

"I think that will be sufficient enough." Elite smiled. "Still something more than we had before."

“Seriously? Has anyone told you are too overly optimistic?” Nabudis scoffed.

“Heh, some could call it my best quality.” Elite shrugged, “Besides, if we can find a ‘supply tunnel’ and find a way to activate it, we could finally find the Forefathers’ base and put an end to Father’s machinations once and for all.”

“I see… and what exactly is your plan regarding Father?” Nabudis frowned.

“...What do you mean?” Elite raised a brow.

“Look, I don’t know what your beef is with him or with the Forefathers, aside the obvious, but I can’t help but be concerned.” Nabudis admitted.

“Well, you shouldn’t be.” Elite declared, “I am not afraid of either of them.”

“And therein lies the problem.” Nabudis crossed his front hooves, “Take it from a former doctor who knows a thing about psychology, Father is not some deranged lunatic who stumbled his way into power by accident. He believes whole-heartedly that what he has planned is for the greater good of Equestria, and he will not be deterred by anypony. And while I haven’t seen it firsthoof… I do know he is capable of things beyond normal comprehension…”

“...And your point being?” Elite tilted his head.

“I am just warning you.” Nabudis frowned, “I already got enough ponies killed in this lifetime… I just want to make sure I’m not sending any more to their deaths by helping them fight a pony that probably shouldn’t be messed with.”

“...Well, I do appreciate your concerns, but we will not back down.” Elite said firmly, “We will stop Father, and put an end to the Forefathers. On my title as Director, I swear it.”

“...Then it can’t be helped, I guess.” Nabudis sighed, “...So, what happens to me now?”

“As I said earlier, in exchange for your information regarding the supply tunnels, we will be taking you into hiding.” Elite clarified, “At first, we will have to keep you in safehouses till the whole mess with Brightdale blows over and once you have recovered. Once things settle down, we will see about getting you set up with a place of your own. Then, you will be free to do as you please, given it’s within the law. The RDL will keep you under observation and do check-in at intervals, but this way, you will have your freedom, and we will have our peace of mind.”

Nabudis was quiet for a moment, as he processed the information.

"...I'm never going to see Nyx again... am I?" He asked glumly.

“I’m afraid that’s just the way it has to be.” Elite said solemnly, “For her safety and yours, it’d be best if you two are kept apart for a long time… I’m sorry.”

“...No, it’s probably for the best.” Nabudis sighed, “...When do I have to go?”

“Well, I’m going to see the doctor about getting you discharged right away. The sooner we get you into hiding, the better.” Elite declared, “I’ll leave you alone for a bit.”

“Take your time…” Nabudis groaned, “Not like I’m going anywhere.”

Elite looked at him glumly as he turned to leave. He walked out of the infirmary, and immediately, he saw Black (in his Dreadnaught armor), waiting by the door.

“Black?” Elite’s eyes widened, “What are you doing here?”

“I was looking for you.” Black explained. “Thought you might in Canterlot to handle damage control...Then I heard you and ‘Doc’ talking about what happened to Sacred…”

“Oh, Black, you shouldn’t have been listening.” Elite grimaced.

“...But he’s right.” Black said bluntly, guilt in his voice, “I was the one who couldn’t rein it in when Sacred brought up my situation and Reinadh. I’m the one who shot his hoof that ended with that ceiling collapsing on him… Sacred was put down because of me. I took away one stallion’s lover… and another stallion’s father…”

“Hey, listen to me.” Elite glared, “What you did, you did in self-defense. Don’t forget, Sacred was the one firing at you with a dark magic staff. You had no idea about Sacred’s life. You couldn’t have known.”

“But if I had known, maybe I could have done things differently.” Black rebutted, “If I’ve aimed at his shoulder or at the staff, or anywhere else, Sacred wouldn’t have died, Nabudis wouldn’t have lost the pony he loved, and maybe Secretariat wouldn’t have gone off the deep end and ordered that massacre and…”

“Black, please…” Elite soothed, putting his normal hoof on his shoulder, “You’re going to drive yourself crazy going over the ‘what ifs’. Yes, maybe all of this could have been avoided, but what’s done is done. All you have to remember is that you did the right thing in trying to stop Project: Bad Dreams. Sacred chose his path when he tried to stop you, and he paid for it with his life. Secret chose his path when he tried to use Nyx for his own selfish gains and killed all those ponies. Whatever happened to them is on them and them alone… just remember that, regardless of how things went, you did everything you could to ensure the safety of Equestria, and you shouldn’t be ashamed of that…”

"You make it sound so simple." Black sighed.

"Because it is." Elite nodded. "At the end of the day, the bottom line is that you are a good stallion, Black. You've done so many noble deeds for those in need. You may have been required to go to certain extremes to do so, but you always had the safety of the many in mind. That makes you a better stallion than most... and one I'm proud to call an ally, and a friend."

“...Thanks, Elite.” Black nodded gratefully.

“Anytime.” Elite said humbly. "Now, you should get back and reconvene with Sterling and Fury. I'm going to speak to a doctor about getting Nabudis discharged so we can get him out of here and we can go home."

“Okay, see you in a bit.” Black declared, as he walked off.

Meanwhile, Constell was waiting outside the room where Luna was talking with Nyx. Luxury, Caboose, Fletcher, and Survival were also there, as well as the rest of the royals.

“Geez, mom's been talking to her for a while now.” Constell rubbed her hooves anxiously, “Faust, I hope she’s not outraged with her or something.”

“No, I don’t think so.” Blueblood shook his head, “Trust me, we would know if Luna was angry. You know, Royal Canterlot Voice and all.”

“Yeah, but she could be the type that gets quiet when she’s really angry.” Dusty frowned.

“Oh goodness…” Miracle murmured, “I hope Nyx will be alright.”

"Why?" Vito scoffed. "She nearly wrecked the castle! I knew she couldn't be trusted..."

"Knock it, off, V." Pureblood glared. "She was hurt, and scared."

"Whatever." Vito shook his head.

"What a mess this turned out to be..." Survival sighed. "I can't help that worry that things will only get even messier..."

"Relax, Mr. Horror." Gothic declared. "The worst is behind us, I assure you."

"If only..." Survival muttered.

“Eesh, this has been one crazy night, huh?” Caboose declared.

"That would be an understatement, Caboose." Fletcher noted.

"Things would have been a lot crazier if you guys hadn't been there." Luxury smiled. "I can see why you're the best of the Royal Guards."

"Just doing our job, sir." Fletcher smiled.

“But I have to ask, what were you two doing tonight?” Blueblood asked, “I thought you two were just consultants. How in Faust’s name did you end up being dragged by Nightmare Moon?”

“Trust me, Blue, it’s a long fourteen chapters.” Caboose groaned. “Longer considering the release date between some of the chapters. All you need to know is everypony is okay!”

“Wait.” Constell suddenly lit up, as she turned to the two, “Oh no, I totally forgot!”

“Forgot what, Constell?” Dusty frowned.

“When I was back at the warehouse watching Dysley and Nabudis, there was this other stallion there as well.” Constell fretted, “He had tan fur with a leather jacket with blue eyes. I didn’t catch his name, but he seems like he was trying to help Nabudis and Nyx… but then that Silas jerk bludgeoned him and then Dysley forced Nyx to gas him! He might need help!”

“Don’t you worry, your highness.” Fletcher said quickly, soothing her, “Who you saw was probably one of the RDL agents. We have already found him before we arrived at the warehouse and he is completely healthy.”

“Oh, that’s good.” Constell sighed in relief, “...But who was he, though? He seemed to know who Dysley and Nabudis were, as well as what was going on with Nyx and this ‘project’. In fact, even though I can’t remember the name, I know it sounded familiar…”

Fletcher and Caboose shared uncertain looks as they tried to change the subject, but before they could, Gothic walked over and joined them.

“Hey, guys.” Gothic greeted.

“Your highness, how is Nabudis doing?” Survival asked.

"He's going to be fine. He’s talking with the director right now." Gothic assured him. "Where is Luna?"

"She's still in there, with Nyx." Constell answered, "But she's been in there for a-"

Barely a moment later, Luna exited the room, with Nyx by her side.

“Luna! How’s everything?” Gothic quickly asked, as he glanced at Nyx, “Is everything alright?”

"Everything is fine, Gothic." Luna nodded.

"Hi, Nyx." Constell smiled at the filly.

"Hi." Nyx smiled shyly.

"So... what now?" Luxury asked.

"Where... where is my Papa?" Nyx asked. "I want to make sure he's okay."

"He is fine, little one." Fletcher declared soothingly, "He's in the infirmary right now."

"Well, can I go see him?" Nyx asked.

"I think we can save you the walk." Caboose pointed out, as none other than Nabudis was coming down the corridor, being helped by a guard, Elite alongside him.

"PAPA!" Nyx rushed up and hugged him. "I'm so sorry about before. I was just so angry. I-"

"It's alright, sweetheart." Nabudis smiled, wincing a bit in pain, but not caring one bit as he returned the hug. "I know you didn't mean anything by it."

"Somnus?" Gothic frowned, "What are you doing? You should be back in bed."

"And when did the director get here?" Luna glanced at Elite.

"Not too long ago actually." Elite declared, "The Captain summoned me not long after what happened with little Nyx here. Had a little chat with Mr. Nabudis here about what's going to happen next."

"Huh? What is he talking about, papa?" Nyx turned to Nabudis, only to notice his smile had faded, replaced with a pained look of grief, "Papa, what's wrong?"

"...Nyx, I'm so sorry..." Nabudis confessed, closing his eyes, "...I can't be your papa anymore."

"...W-What?" She whispered.

"Hold on, what are you going on about?" Constell gaped.

"Nabudis and I were able to work out a deal." Elite explained. "In exchange for some vital information regarding the Forefathers, Nabudis will not have to go to prison for his part in all this mess..." He then sighed. "Unfortunately, to ensure Nyx's safety as well as his, he will have to go into hiding for his own safety."

"Hiding? For how long?" Gothic asked, shocked.

"Who can say?" Elite shrugged solemnly, "With Secret still out there and the Forefathers probably out to get him, it'll probably be for a long while. But we have to get him to a safehouse as soon as possible. The doctor has given him the go-ahead on the grounds that he receives more treatment at the safehouse, and a carriage is currently waiting for him right now."

"...I-I see..." Gothic frowned, downcast.

"There are worse fates." Luna admitted sadly.

"I'm so sorry for all the trouble I've caused." Nabudis sighed. He turned to Nyx. "And I'm most sorry to you, Nyx. I don't want to leave you again, but you'll be safer if I'm not around. Do you understand?"

Nyx nodded in silent understanding, but as she did, tears began brimming, as a whimper began to manifest.

"Oh no, no, Nyx, please don't cry..." Nabudis grimaced, "Because if you start crying, then I'll start crying..." Despite this, tears were falling down Nabudis' cheeks, "And if I start crying, then you'll start crying more, and it creates this endless cycle, and it's going to make leaving so much... much..."

Nabudis couldn't hold it in anymore as he hugged Nyx tight to her, letting out barely audible sobs, as the father and daughter cried together.

Everypony else was affected by this heartbreaking scene.

Fletcher stood firm, yet was stoically sad, while Caboose had an almost comical amount of tears welling up in his suddenly-larger-than-average eyes.

Survival was unable to even look at the scene, turning away to silently weep.

Miracle was in tears, Dusty comforting her, while Pureblood and Blueblood wore an overwhelmingly sad expression. Even Vito was affected; his bottom lip quivered, to his surprise and reluctance.

Constell was buried in Luxury's hooves, shaking in his embrace, while Luna was leaning against a sorrowful Gothic's neck, shedding a single tear.

"Nabudis... it's time." Elite said solemnly.

Nabudis stifled his sobs, as Constell instinctively stepped forth and took Nyx into her hooves. Nyx kept crying, sobbing into Constell's hooves, the older mare holding her tightly.

"Promise me..." Nabudis rasped, trying (but failing miserably) to get his emotions in check, "Promise me that she's going to be taken care of... that she will be loved... please..."

"She will." Constell nodded, blinking through her tears. "I promise..."

"No... we promise..." Gothic stepped forth, a hoof on Constell's shoulder, putting on a strong face, "...You take care, Som... once this is all over, we will see each other again, you understand?"

"...Yeah." Nabudis nodded weakly, as the guard helped him back up to his hooves, "...I understand."

"Please come with me, Nabudis." Elite declared, as the guard began leading him away, "Caboose, Fletcher would you please join us?"

"Of course, sir." Fletcher nodded.

"Right behind ya." Caboose smiled.

"...Oh, and bring Doctor Horror too." Elite added.

"Huh?" Survival perked at the mention of his name, "Me? Um, sure..."

As the five stallions departed, Nyx continued to whimper.

"What's going to happen to me now?" She asked fretfully, "Papa was all I had... I have nowhere else to go..."

"There is no need to worry, little one." Luna declared, shaking off her sadness, "I've already decided what is to be done with you..."

"Mom, wait!" Constell spoke up. "Before you decide, you need to listen! I know Nyx, and-"

"Calm down, dear." Luna told her.

"Not until you hear what I have to say!" Constell demanded.

"Look, Nyx is-" Luna began.

"I want to adopt her!" Constell suddenly blurted out.

The others were surprised, to say the least.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, are you sure that's a good idea?" Blueblood asked nervously.

"Constell, I know you wanna help the filly, but isn't that a little sudden?" Dusty frowned.

"Why? Constell would make a great mom." Miracle declared.

"It's not Constell we should be worried about." Vito growled, his distrust returning.

"Oh, for Pete's sake, Vito." Pureblood muttered.

"Honey, maybe we shouldn't rush headfirst into this." Luxury stepped in, "Taking in a foal is one thing, but this is not Little Annie. Are we even equipped to deal with Nightmare Moon?"

"I don't care!" Constell said adamantly, "Look, I know Nightmare Moon is not everypony's favorite pony, but Nyx needs somepony to be there for her. And I'm that pony, without a doubt." She turned to Luna, "Mom, please... let me do this, let me adopt Nyx."

"...I am proud that you are willing to step up, my daughter." Luna declared stoically, "But I cannot allow that."

"Why not?!" Constell gasped, outraged.

"...Because Gothic and I already agreed to adopt Nyx an hour ago." Luna revealed.

"...What?" Constell gaped.

"What?" Nyx lifted her head from Constell's hoof.

"What?!" Blueblood, Dusty and Luxury gaped.

"What the what?!" Vito shouted.

"Are you serious, aunt Luna?" Miracle asked, stupefied.

"She is... we both are." Gothic stepped forth, "After we had Nyx escorted to the study and Nabudis sent to the infirmary, Luna and I had discussed at lengths what to do about Nyx."

"With the Forefathers still out there and Nabudis' inevitable incarceration, we had decided that Nyx should be cared for by those who had experience in dealing with Nightmare Moon." Luna declared, "And considering how we both fit that criteria, we can ensure that Nyx will be protected should Secret or anypony from the Forefathers seek her out again. And I can see to it that Nyx's 'power' is never used to hurt anypony ever again."

"...Really?" Nyx gaped, slipping out of Constell's hooves, "...Y-You really want to adopt me? Even after..."

"I cannot change what you are, Nyx." Luna admitted, "Nor can I forget what you have done in your past lives... but it does not change the fact that you are just a sweet little filly who needs a family."

"And I know we cannot replace your 'papa'." Gothic declared, "But if you would have us, we can provide you with as much love and warmth that Somnus provided. We would be happy to have you as a part of our family..."

"...I...I don't know what to say..." Nyx whispered, as she turned to Constell, "Constell?"

"...Well, I won't lie, this isn't really what I had in mind." Constell frowned... before a warm smile grew on her face, "...But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be any less happy to call you my sister..."

Nyx was once again tearing up, but this time her eyes were leaking tears of joy. Instantly, she ran up and hugged Luna, much to the latter's surprise.

"...Thank you..." She murmured through the tears, "Thank you so much..."

The surprise subsided, as the princess of the night returned the hug, letting out a content sigh.

"Welcome home, Nyx." She whispered.

"Oh, this is wonderful, aunt Luna!" Miracle grinned, elated.

"Well, I can't think of anypony better for the job." Luxury smirked, his body internally letting out a huge sigh of relief.

"Oh, this is so wonderful." Dusty wiped a tear from her eyes.

"Yeah, another member for our big, happy family." Pureblood smiled.

"Yeah..." Blueblood agreed, though with a forced grin, his eyes registering panic, "Another nightmare-inducing, everlasting night-bringing, psycho-crazy member living with our big, happy family..."

"This is crazy..." Vito shook his head in disbelief, "This is crazy, this is freaking crazy..."

"Crazy good, you mean." Pureblood smirked.

"This is all like some amazing dream." Nyx admitted, still holding onto Luna.

"As the guardian of dreams, I can assure you that this is very real." Luna grinned.

"You're part of the family now, Nyx." Gothic added.

"That makes us cousins!" Miracle beamed. "How great is that?"

"Really great." Nyx smiled.

"Group hug!" Constell cheered.

Gothic, Constell, and Miracle joined Luna and Nyx's hug. Despite the loss of her papa, Nyx couldn't help but feel warm and content in their embrace.

Outside, Nabudis was being escorted to a carriage, with Black and co.'s carriage right behind it. Black (still in his armor), Sterling, and Fury were waiting by their carriage.

"We'll be taking you to one of our safehouses in the south." Elite explained to Nabudis. "Our operatives will make sure you're comfortable while you recover."

"Thank you." Nabudis said gratefully. "It's more than I deserve..." He bowed his head sadly.

Sterling approached.

"Hey." Sterling greeted, "So, I guess this is goodbye, 'Doc'..."

"Sterling, please, there's no need for honorifics." Nabudis shook his head, "Somnus is just fine."

"...You know, I want to know." Sterling frowned, "Why did you always wear a mask and use those voice modulators for the whole time we knew each other?"

"Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that myself." Caboose added, "I always felt it was just super-fluid."

"The word you're looking for is 'superfluous'." Nabudis rolled his eyes, "...But you already know the answer, Sterling. It's as Sacred said all those years ago, I liked to keep my two lives separate. I mean, sure, you, Gridlock, and Harlhooves got by just fine without all the gear, but I just didn't want to take the chance..."

"...Well, I guess that makes sense." Sterling admitted, as another thought came to mind, "...Actually, I have another-"

"No need to ask. I already know what it is." Nabudis nodded, "...You want to know if Loveless is okay."

"...Yeah." Sterling sighed, "...I realized you had left the Forefathers a while ago but..."

"No, I understand... you loved him like Nyx loved me..." Nabudis mused wistfully, "But sadly, all I can say for sure is Loveless misses you terribly..."

"...I know." Sterling bowed his head in sadness... before glaring with determination, "But I will see him again. And when I do, I'm going to save him, just like we saved you..."

"...I know you will." Nabudis give a small smile.

"Farewell, Somnus." Survival sighed heavily as he approached Nabudis, as Sterling stepped back, "In spite of everything that happened this week... I'll really gonna miss you..."

"And I you, Fievel." Nabudis gave a sad smile, "Being your teacher and friend has been one of the greatest honors of my life. I just know you will go on to do great things in the world."

"Thank you, sir." Survival returned the smile.

The two shared one last hoofshake, and Nabudis made his way to the designated carriage with the help of the guard. As the guard helped him in, Nabudis paused.

"Oh!" Nabudis turned around, and looked at Fletcher and Caboose, "Captain... Caboose... I know this doesn't mean much coming from me... but thank you, for helping to protect Nyx... even if it was me."

"You're welcome." Fletcher smiled.

"Yeah. And as far as doctors goes, you're no Hawkeye, but you're leagues above Izzy Stevens." Caboose smiled.

"Thank you..." Nabudis nodded, as he turned back around, grimacing a bit in confusion, "...I think."

With that, the former Forefather doctor entered the carriage, and soon departed. The guard gave Elite a salute as he made his way back inside the castle.

Sterling watched as Somnus' carriage grew smaller and smaller in the distance, then he turned to Elite.

"...Do you think Somnus is really going to be okay?" Sterling asked.

"Maybe in time." Elite mused. "We'll have to wait and see... but in the meantime..." He gave a smile to Sterling, Fury, and Black, "Sterling, Fury, Dreadnaught. You all did great on this assignment. Another project was thwarted and we are one step closer to stopping the Forefathers. You three head back to base for some well-deserved rest. We'd do debriefing later."

"Just doing our jobs." Black smiled.

"I am gonna sleep for hours..." Fury yawned.

"Later, guys." Sterling told Fletcher and Caboose as he, Black and Fury got into their carriage.

"Goodbye for now." Fletcher nodded.

"See ya soon!" Caboose waved.

With the trio's carriage now gone, Elite turned to Fletcher and Caboose.

"As for you two, you can take an extra week off for all your hard work." He smiled, "You really went above and beyond on this one."

"Just doing our job, sir." Fletcher said humbly.

"I guess this is so long for real, Fiev." Caboose said to Survival, "We'll be seeing ya around."

"Wait, before you go..." Survival held up a hoof, "I think I should finally tell you what my favorite horror movie is."

"Oh, finally!" Caboose grinned in anticipation. "What is it?"

"...Night of the Crops." Survival said bluntly.

"Huh?" Caboose gaped.

"My favorite horror movie." Survival shrugged. "It's Night of the Crops."

"...Okay, I'm waiting for the punchline." Caboose deadpanned.

"...What punchline?" Survival frowned, "It's not a joke."

"You're serious?" Caboose gaped, "You hated every horror and thriller classic mentioned in this story... but the one horror movie you like... is that dumpster fire?"

"What?" Survival said defensively. "Sure, it has it's problems, but as classical horror films go, it's very well-structured."

"I just... I can't..." Caboose spluttered, flabbergasted, "That movie is pure schlock! Sure, it has its funny moments, but still-"

"Come on, Caboose Time to go." Fletcher dragged him away, as Caboose continued his rant. "Farewell, Survival. May our next meeting be under better circumstances."

"Here's hoping." Survival smiled.

After the duo's departure, it was just Elite and Survival, alone.

"...Huh, you're still here?" Survival suddenly noticed Elite, "I figured you'd be heading back with Sterling and the others."

"Oh, no, my friend and second-in-command is going to come pick me up in a bit." Elite brushed off, "I actually wanted to personally thank you. If it wasn't for you, this night could have ended badly for evereypony."

"Ah, it was nothing." Survival said humbly. "I'm just glad everything turned out alright."

"Indeed... although I have to ask, what are you going to do now, Doctor Horror?" Elite asked.

“...I really don’t know.” Survival drooped, “Everypony at my workplace is dead, and I don’t know if I can really go back to working for Brightdale after what Dysley did. I’m pretty much out of a job at this point.”

“Hmm, well, I think I might have a solution for that.” Elite smiled suddenly.

“Huh?” Survival raised a brow in confusion.

“You see, Doctor Horror. The ponies that helped you, Fletcher, Caboose, Sterling, Fury, and Dreadnaught, are part of a team that I’ve started putting together months ago, the Alpha Force Squad. A team that operates differently from your typical government sanctioned groups.”

“Oh, like black ops or something?” Survival asked.

“You could say that.” Elite shrugged, “The team was put together with the goal of protecting Equestria and combating the Forefathers… and if you are willing, I would like to have you onboard.”

“Wait, you want me to join?” Survival pointed to himself.

"I don't see why not." Elite smiled. "The others told me about your highly leveled grasp on psychology and your background as a son of preppers. Sterling even told me that you are quite good with a knife.”

“Well, it’s nothing too special.” Survival rubbed his head, “Nothing that I think would be a good fit for a military outfit.”

“Not yet maybe.” Elite smirked, “But with the help of a good doctor, and a few lessons in combat, I’d say you would make for a great medic.”

“Hmm, well, it would be something to do.” Survival pondered, as his interest grew, “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get a thrill when we were rushing to save Nabudis. And it would be nice for all those years spent in a bunker to be put to some good use for once…”

“There’s plenty of time to think.” Elite declared, “In fact, if you have any questions regarding the team, I’m more than willing to oblige.”

“...Well, I do have one…” Survival admitted, as Elite listened expectedly, “...Why is Black Knight Paladin, the terrorist and war monger who almost took over Equestria during the ‘Crystal Sun’ incident, posing under the guise of ‘Dreadnaught’ and working for the RDL?”

Elite’s eyes widened.

“...And I guess on a more important note, how is he alive? Didn’t he get shot in the heart?” Survival frowned.

“Whoa, whoa… how do you…” Elite was trying to reel in his shock.

“Sterling kinda said his name by accident back at the warehouse district.” Survival grimaced, “It was a long shot, but there’s only one or two ponies that stick out with that name, and seeing how secretive Fletcher and the others were being, I kinda put the pieces together. Your reaction of course cemented all that.”

“I… I see.” Elite cringed.

“Look, I’m not going to blow the whistle or anything.” Survival assured, “Clearly there must be something going on if Black is working with you guys, but before I make my decision, I would like to know what is the deal with all that…”

Elite let out a sigh, and gave a minor shrug.

“...Well, Ballista is going to be a while before he comes by with the carriage, but I’ll try and tell you everything I can… all I ask that you keep everything between us...” Elite urged.

Meanwhile, Caboose arrived back home, still stupefied and nettled about Survival's favorite movie.

“Unbelievable.” Caboose muttered, “Oh, sure, crap on the Candystallion, but nothing’s wrong with a bunch of Faust damn slug zombies…”

"No!" He heard Michael's voice from upstairs.

"Honey, you need to try and sleep..." Daring's voice, tired and desperate, begged.

"Don't wanna!" Michael screeched.

“Oh, right!” Caboose realized, “I still have this plot point to wrap up! Now where did I put that-” Caboose saw the bag he bought the other day on the table, “Bingo!”

He grabbed out the tiny nightshirt from the bag, and sprinted up the stairs.

Inside Michael's room, Daring was struggling to get Michael into bed, with Michael resisting despite his own tiredness.

"Come on, baby." Daring pleaded. "Just try and sleep for mommy..."

"No nightmares! No nightmares!" Michael wept.

There was a knock on the doorframe as Caboose came in.

“Hey there.” Caboose smiled.

“Caboose?” Daring turned to him in surprise, “When did you get here?”

“Just in time, it seems.” Caboose stepped forth, as he held out his hooves, “Here, allow me.”

Daring, confused, but willing to try anything at this point, passed the whimpering colt over to Caboose.

“Hey, buddy.” Caboose smiled, as he swayed his hooves a bit, “Did ya miss me?”

"Hi, daddy." Michael sniffed.

“Still not wantin’ to sleep?” Caboose asked.

“Don’t wanna. I’m scared…” Michael whimpered.

“Aww, I’ve been there, Mikey.” Caboose soothed, “Nightmares are no joke. Well, unless the nightmare is a clown or a terrible comedian…” Michael winced, as he quickly backpedaled, “But that doesn’t matter, because I got just the thing that will keep you safe from all the scary things you can dream of.”

Caboose adjusted Michael into one hoof, and with a swipe of his other, he slid the small nightshirt onto Michael. The little whimpering colt offered no resistance, rubbing the new shirt, amused by it.

"Do ya like it?" Caboose asked.

"...Yes." Michael nodded. "Soft..."

“Good. Your grandpa gave me a nightshirt just like this when I was your age.” Caboose grinned, “When you go to sleep now, this nightshirt will allow you to fly away, away from every scary thing in the world… all you will feel is the freest, most wonderful feeling in the world… think you can give it a try, buddy?”

“...Hmm…” Michael murmured, as he began to doze off, “S-sleepy…”

To Daring's utter shock, Michael drifted off into a sound sleep.

“Oh my Faust…” Daring whispered, glancing at Caboose, “...You did it. He’s sleeping.”

“Had a feeling it would.” Caboose smirked, as he kissed the tyke on the head. He turned to Daring, “Everything should be A-OK now.”

“What about you? You looked terrible.” Daring frowned, noting the bruises on his body, “Hurricane told me that something happened at the charity event earlier.”

“Oh, it’s nothing.” Caboose shrugged, wincing a bit from the pain, “Just got beat up by a doctor, a hallucinating friend, and a few buildings. You know, just your typical everyday assignment. How about you?”

“Um, normal, but…” Daring blanched, taken aback by Caboose’s nonchalance, “Vinny called not too long ago.”

"Oh, yeah?" Caboose mused. "What about?"

“Apparently, he and Berry were doing some late-night drinking on the rooftop when they saw you and Fletcher being dragged by what he called ‘some crazy she-witch that looked a lot like Nightmare Moon’.” Daring recounted, “...Did that fit somewhere within you getting beat up?”

“Ugh, that’s a long story. Would love to tell you but…” Caboose let out a big yawn, “But I’m dead tired and-”

"Just answer with a simple 'yes' or 'no'." Daring urged. "Surely you're not too tired for-"

Before she could finish, she realized Caboose had immediately dozed off, sitting in place with Michael still in his hooves, snoring peacefully. What more, for some reason, he had managed to slip on an old, stained nightshirt of his own.

Daring was about to question this… but just shook her head.

“Sweet dreams, you two.” Daring smiled warmly.

Elsewhere in Canterlot, Fletcher arrived at his own home.

"I'm back!" He called, entering the living room.

"Hello, darling." Dove smiled, sitting on the couch.

“Honey, what are you still doing awake?” Fletcher asked.

“Oh, it’s the little one. They kept kicking me awake.” Dove shrugged, rubbing her belly, “I figured we would just wait for you to get home.”

“Everything is alright, though?” Fletcher frowned, “No complications?”

"I'm not far along, you know." Dove chuckled. "It's only been two months."

"And still nine months to go." Fletcher declared. "I just don't want anything to happen to our soon-to-be bundle of joy."

"Well, now." Dove smiled. "What brought on this sudden surge of paternal instinct?"

“Hmm, let’s just say these last two days have given me some time to reflect on what being a parent truly means.” Fletcher admitted, “This mission me and Caboose were on had us dealing with a stallion who went the distance to try and protect his little girl… someone he loved very much.”

“Really now?” Dove frowned, “Does this stallion have anything to do with why Daring called me earlier, saying that you and Caboose were being dragged by somepony that looked like Nightmare Moon?”

“Oh, a little bit.” Fletcher winced, “But while I did not agree with the stallion’s method, I can understand why he did it. Faust knows I would do everything in my power to make sure you and our foal were safe.”

“I already know that, mon chéri.” Dove kissed him deeply, “And I am proud of you every day for it.”

“Thank you, duen min.” Fletcher smiled in his native tongue, “You want to head back up to bed?”

“No… I think we rather lay here with you.” Dove cuddled with her husband.

“...That suits me just fine.” Fletcher sighed in content, wrapping his hooves around her.

The two laid there, Dove nuzzling against the soldier stallion, as they continue to happily anticipate their new life as parents.

The two cuddled on the couch, happily anticipating their new lives as parents.

At the same time, Black and the others were riding home in the steam carriage.

"Some crazy mission, huh?" Black mused. "Almost made me miss the yetis from the last one."

“You said it.” Sterling groaned, “Still, I’m glad that Doc-I mean, Somnus, was able to get out of that life.”

“Yeah… still, it makes me wonder how guys like him and Sacred get mixed up with assholes like Gridlock and Solomon.” Fury grumbled, “Or better yet, why they put up with their awful plans.”

“Well, when you want to make a difference, I guess you learn to put up with all the crazies and bad ponies along the way.” Sterling shrugged, “How do you think I was able to put up with Nalik of all ponies for so long?”

“It does bring into question just what goes through this ‘Father’s’ head.” Black frowned, “If he is out to make Equestria better, why does he recruit such despicable ponies along with those with good intentions?”

“I’ve been asking myself that question for way too long.” Sterling shook his head, “And sadly, I still don’t have an answer.”

“Well, I have another question: what the flap are you wearing?” Fury glanced at Sterling.

Sterling was dressed up in his silver nightshirt that Caboose got him.

"Just a little something Caboose got me." Sterling smiled. "He said it should nip my bad dreams in the bud.”

“Seriously? Are you really that desperate that you’re taking advice from Caboose?” Fury grimaced.

“I’m not desperate.” Sterling said firmly, “I’ve been letting my guilt get to me, wallowing in my regret over getting Crystal killed. That led to these nightmares, which gave that miasma leverage over me. On top of me going in alone like an idiot, I almost botched the whole mission.”

“I wouldn’t say so.” Black declared, “Sure, you getting hit by that miasma didn’t help, but if you hadn’t gone off on your own when you did, we might have never caught up with Dysley. Nabudis would have died and Nyx would have been gone. Take it from a guy who made his fair share of mistakes, I think you made the right call tonight.”

“Thanks, Black.” Sterling gave a small smile, “But regardless, I have to face Crystal one last time if I’m ever gonna move on. And if Caboose says this nightshirt will help me, I’m willing to try it.”

“But, that’s so stupid.” Fury said bluntly, “How can a nightshirt ward off nightmares? It makes no sense!”

"Lay off, Fury." Black scowled. "It's not like he has anything to lose not doing it."

“My thoughts exactly.” Sterling huffed, “Now, if you would both kindly keep it down, I’m gonna try and get some sleep.”

"Of course." Black nodded.

"Yeah, yeah..." Fury scoffed.

The two fell into silence, allowing Sterling to curl up and drift off to sleep. And with sleep came dreams...

And once more, Sterling found himself inside the same church as before, and once again, Crystal was there waiting, this time standing outside his coffin.

“So you return, Sterling.” Crystal snarled, “Come to face the facts? You killed me. Your own brother. Only the worst kind of monster does that. You're nothing but a murdering piece of filth, an indelible stain on our family name... and don’t get me started on Echo and Sun-” He paused, “What the hell are you wearing?”

Dream Sterling was wearing his nightshirt.

"It's my ass-kicking outfit, bitch!" He boasted.

Quick as lightning, Sterling bucked Crystal, sending him flying back against the altar.

"Ugh!" Crystal grunted. As he dropped back down onto his hooves, he had a mystified look on his face.

“Wait, this can’t be ri-” He began, before Sterling punched him the face. "No, wait-" Sterling headbutted him. "You can't-" Sterling gave him a jab, then a right hook. "At least let me finish my sen-"

Sterling delivered an uppercut that left the dream Crystal sprawled on his back.

“No. You’re done, Crystal.” Sterling glared, “I will concede, my actions did lead to your eventual demise, and despite what others may tell me, I bear part of the blame and I will have to live with it… but I’m not going to let you hold it over my head any longer. I spent my whole childhood being bullied by you in life, being afraid of you… but now, even in this silly little nightshirt, I can see that you are not so scary after all… in fact, you’re kinda sad.”

“What?!” Crystal snarled, getting back up on his hooves.

“It’s just like I told you back at the well when you were still alive.” Sterling declared, “You have no power over me. You can kill me all you like, but it’s not going to change that I’m alive and you’re not. I will wake up, and go out there and protect the innocent, while you will remain here, in my dreams…”

Crystal was fuming, trembling with fury.

“You… you…” Crystal hissed.

“Now if you excuse me, I must go now…” Sterling crouched, “My ponies need me.”

With a leap, Sterling took off into the air like a superhero, smashing through the roof, and leaving a flabbergasted Crystal behind.

"...What the f-" Crystal gaped.

Sterling flew through the night sky, the winds billowing in his nightshirt as the stallion let out a hearty laugh.

"Ah-hah-hah!" Sterling laughed as he flew through the sky. "That was more simple than I thought it'd be! Damn, this feels so good!”

“I know, right?!”

Sterling perked up as suddenly, Caboose, in his nightshirt, pulled up aside him. And right next to him, holding onto his hoof, was little Michael.

“Caboose?!” Sterling gaped.

“Hey, Sterling!” Caboose smiled, elated, “You put on the nightshirt!”

“Uh, yeah, I’m sorry I ever doubted you.” Sterling declared, “...But what are you doing here?”

“Same thing as you, flying in our nightshirts. Taking Mikey here on his first flight!” Caboose smiled, as he pulled up Michael, “Say hi to Uncle Sterling!”

“Hi, Unca Stairly...” Michael waved meekly.

“Uh, hi.” Sterling waved awkwardly, “...Wait, am I talking to the actual Caboose right now?”

Caboose looked himself over.

“Well, I think I’m the actual Caboose.” Caboose shrugged, “Don’t know why I would not be one.”

“...But that makes no sense.” Sterling grimaced, “You’re not Luna. You can’t be actually you. In fact, I don’t know how your son is here, since I never even met him. But you mentioned me putting on the nightshirt-”

“Sterling, Sterling!” Caboose interrupted his rambling, “You’re gonna ruin the good feeling questioning these very good questions. Just roll with it. Trust me, you’ll be a lot happier. Now if you excuse us…”

Caboose sped ahead, Michael in tow as they did a loop-de-loop.

“Wee!” Michael squealed.

“...Eh, buck it. Better this than Crystal.” Sterling shrugged with a grin.

Sterling flew off into the night sky, soaring among the stars, finally at peace with himself.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Nabudis sat in his carriage, ignorant of the two RDL agents who were accompanying him, keeping a firm watch. The doctor glanced out the back window, watching as the Canterlot Castle grew smaller and smaller, further away from the filly he raised from nothing…

"Ohhh..." He sighed morosely, “Nyx…”

Hoping to put the dreadful night behind him, Nabudis began drifting off to sleep…

When he opened up his eyes, he found himself standing in a moonlit meadow, blue flowers glowing in its light.

He could hear the familiar giggling of a filly, as he saw Nyx, frolicking and prancing around, having the time of her life.

“Nyx…” Nabudis almost wanted to smile… but he couldn’t. He knew for a fact that he was dreaming, and the happy Nyx he was seeing was just that. A dream.

“Come on, Som, don’t be so glum.” Another voice spoke up, “You know Nyx doesn’t like it when you’re sad.”

Nabudis’s eyes widened as he turned right next to him, as a middle-aged greyish-blue Pegasus stallion sat in the grass. It was none other than Sacred Dysley, bereft of his spiffy suit.

“Sacred…” Nabudis sat down, “You’re here.”

“Hello, Somnus.” Sacred smiled, “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“Too long.” Nabudis sighed sadly, tears brimming once more, “Faust… I miss you so much.”

“Please, Somnus, don’t cry.” Sacred wrapped a hoof around him, “It’s going to be okay…”

“No… no it’s not.” Nabudis gulped, blinking away the tears, “I just have to leave my daughter again, I nearly got my friends killed, and your son… he… he...” He sobbed.

“Hey, hey.” Sacred nuzzled him, “Look, you couldn’t control what happened to my son. It’s tragic what he has become, but he let his own bitterness and anger control him. You stood by him when I couldn’t. There’s nothing more you could have done.”

“But this all happened because of me.” Nabudis whimpered, “I couldn’t protect Nyx, just like I couldn’t protect you. If you hadn’t helped me, you wouldn’t have died. You could have had a long fulfilling life.”

“But then you would have been all alone.” Sacred pointed out, “Things happen for a reason, while we may not like them, it is what it is.”

"It doesn't have to be." Nabudis said, still doubtful. "I could have done more..."

"You did the best you could." Sacred smiled. "You managed to raise Nyx well, defying her origins."

"And I abandoned her." Nabudis shook his head, guiltridden. "Again."

“She’s going to be okay.” Sacred declared, “And so are you. Nyx is surrounded by ponies who will love her, and you are one of the strongest ponies I know. That’s one of the many things I always loved about you.”

"And I always loved you for always encouraging me." Nabudis managed a smile. "For seeing more in me than I could ever see in myself. I will never stop missing you..."

"Neither will I." Sacred beamed. "One day, we will be together again, but at least we have this moment."

"Yes." Nabudis nodded. "We do."

The two stallions kissed, nuzzling against one another.

“...Thank you, Sacred.” Nabudis whispered, “...I love you…”

“...I know…” Sacred smiled warmly.

“Come play with me, papa! Daddy!” Dream Nyx called to them.

“What do you say, Somnus? How about a little family fun before the sunrise?” Sacred smirked.

“...I think I’d like that very much.” Nabudis smiled back…

As Nabudis went on to join the dream Nyx and Sacred to play together in the meadow, Nabudis felt, for the first time in years, content. That everything was right with the world. While he knew deep down that it wouldn’t last, the old stallion was more than willing to ignore that unfortunate reality for that brief moment of brevity.

A few days later…

Nyx stirred as she awoke in her new bed, sunlight pouring in through the windows of her new room, safe in Constell's hooves.

“Good morning, sis.” Constell grinned.

“Morning.” Nyx smiled.

“Did you sleep well?” Constell asked.

“Yeah, I think so.” Nyx nodded, “What about you? I didn’t give you any nightmares, did I?”

“Of course you didn’t.” Constell soothed, “Like you hadn’t the last couple of nights.”

“I know… I just worry, you know?” Nyx bowed her head.

“It’s alright.” Constell smiled, “But you really don’t have to worry anymore. Mom casted that enchantment that sealed your miasma within you. You can get as mad as you like, and nothing will come out.”

“Well, it’s a good thing I have no reason to be mad.” Nyx smiled back, “I never thought I'd end up here of all places when I left Brightdale. Hard to believe any of this is real.”

“Well, it is real.” Constell nuzzled her, “And I couldn’t be happier.”

“Thanks, Connie.” Nyx returned the affection, “Hey, do you think I can go see Miracle and the others?”

“Of course. You don’t have to ask, though.” Constell nodded, releasing Nyx from her sisterly embrace, “You’re free to do as you like… just try not to be late for breakfast, you hear?”

"I won't." Nyx declared, running out of the room.

Nyx happily trotted down the corridors, almost unable to believe that the castle was now her home. It didn't take long for her to find the others, who were talking in the study.

"Hi, guys!" She smiled.

"Hey, Nyx." Pureblood smiled.

"Yeah." Vito said flatly. "Hey."

“Hello, Nyx.” Miracle hugged her new cousin, “Happy one-week anniversary of becoming a part of our family.”

"Thanks." Nyx returned the hug. "This is so amazing. Almost like I'm still dreaming."

"Well, it's no dream." Pureblood chuckled. "And it's definitely not a nightmare."

"Uh-huh..." Vito growled.

"Guess who's back!" A voice sang.

Hurricane came flying in, landing with a flourish.

"Hurricane!" Miracle smiled.

"Great to see ya!" Pureblood smirked

“...Where have you been?” Vito frowned, “We hadn’t seen you around.”

“Oh, I’ve been hanging out with my dad!” Hurricane brushed off, “I do have a life outside you guys, you know.”

“Of course you do.” Miracle nodded, “What’s been up with you?”

“Oh, just hanging out with the fam. Mikey’s officially nightmare-free now.” Hurricane listed off, “Turns out nightshirts are very effective nightmare repellants!”

"Nightshirt?" Vito blanched.

“But enough about me! What about you?!” Hurricane turned to Nyx, excited, “I heard everything from cousin Dusty! I can’t believe I missed out on all the action! The first chance at being relevant in a story in a long time and I missed it!”

“Trust me, Hurri, it wasn’t all that it cracked up to be.” Pureblood cringed.

“Yeah, more like it was terrifying.” Vito growled, casting a stink-eye at Nyx.

“Oh, come off it, V.” Hurricane glared back at him, as she turned back to Nyx, “I’m really glad you are okay, Nyx.”

“Really? Even if I’m Nightmare Moon?” Nyx frowned.

“Oh, of course. Stuff like that doesn’t matter to me.” Hurricane shrugged with a wave, “In fact, you being Nightmare Moon makes you by far the most interesting pony I know. Right next to that Goldsmith guy from the beer commercial.”

“Well… that’s really good to hear.” Nyx smiled awkwardly, still not used to the filly’s odd zaniness.

“Yeah, nice to know some ponies accept you for who you are.” Miracle declared, casting a glare at Vito, who scoffed in return.

"Yeah, yeah..." Vito scowled.

"Ah, give him time." Pureblood shrugged. "He'll come around... eventually."

"And you'll have all the time in the world." Miracle told Nyx. "Because this is your home."

"The best home I could ask for." Nyx grinned.

"Aww..." Hurricane cooed. "This calls for a cliche sappy sitcom hug!"

Hurricane pulled them all into one big group hug.

Nyx smiled happily. Though she still missed her papa, she was still glad to be among friends, and a new family…

At the same time, the board of directors for Brightdale Pharmaceuticals were having a meeting. The head, the middle-aged Unicorn, was reading the papers, which headlined ‘Magic defense drill goes awry at Canterlot Castle’. There was also a smaller byline stating ‘a mysterious filly sighted at the castle’.

“An official spokespony from the royal made a public announcement that the recent damages were the result of misplaced storm clouds, and that the ‘screaming mare’ flying over Canterlot was a magical construct conjured by a student from the School for Gifted Unicorns that had gone awry. When asked about the rumors that Nightmare Moon had somehow returned, Princess Luna debunked them as nightmares suffered by overly tired ponies." The stallion read, “Pah, Nightmare Moon… can you believe such nonsense...”

Right next to him, the balding Pegasus stallion held a mirror to his ear, waiting expectedly for something… only to hang up in anger.

“Dammit! No answer again!” The stallion snarled.

“Still no luck reaching him?” The gangly pegasus with the buck-teeth frowned.

“And then some.” The balding stallion growled, “I swear, that boy picked a fine time to suddenly go on a vacation. He left us high and dry at that conference!”

“Oh, come now. I’m sure he had his reasons.” The grey-maned Earth Pony mare reasoned, “Maybe something came up. A family emergency perhaps?”

“That would be a negative there.” The younger Unicorn mare shook her head, “I spoke with Mrs. Dysley the other day. She hadn’t seen Secret lately either.”

“Then what could have happened?” The middle-aged Unicorn asked.

“Well, I don’t want to spread misinformation, but the guys in accounting have been talking.” The gangly pegasus grimaced, “Apparently, Secret was last seen leaving that charity event they had at the castle a week ago. From what I heard, he had a little black filly with her.”

“Oh, no…” The young Unicorn mare gaped in disgust.

“Hey now, I’m sure there’s a logical explanation.” The grey-maned Earth Pony mare pointed out.

“What about what shipping told me then?” The gangly pegasus continued, “They told me there was a sting operation that went down in the warehouse district. A bunch of them Forefather agents got arrested… and according to them, Secret was down there with them.”

“You don’t actually think Secret would consort himself with those monsters, do you?” The balding Pegasus scoffed.

“Well, I also heard about this spat that went down between Secret and Som-” The gangly Pegasus spoke up… only to get pelted with a newspaper, “Hey!”

“Would you knock it off with the gossip?!” The middle-aged Unicorn stallion snapped, “The bottom line is, our CEO is M.I.A., Brightdale Hospital has been massacred, lawsuits are lining up, our stocks are freefalling, and our public image is dying!” He placed his face in his hooves, “Faust damn, this is a disaster! This couldn’t possibly get any worse!”

Suddenly, the intercom on the table crackled to life.

“Um, excuse me sirs and ma’ams, there’s a group of ponies here to see you.” A secretary announced.

“Tell them to come back later.” The balding Pegasus snarled, pushing the button, “We’re in the middle of a crisis here!”

“I can tell.”

The directors looked up, as none other than Z. Brickette Wall, the zebra senator and Secretary of defense, and Elite’s superior, came walking in, flanked by a slew of agents.

“What the- who are you?!” The young Unicorn mare demanded.

“Wait, I know you… you’re Senator Wall!” The middle-aged Unicorn stallion pointed out, “What are you doing here?!”

"Official government business." Wall answered. She turned to the agents, "Turn this room upside down. Leave no stone unturned.”

“What are you talking about?! What is the meaning of this?!” The balding Pegasus roared as the agents began surveying and looking around the room.

“This here is a search warrant.” Wall slid a piece of paper down to the directors, “We are here to search not only this headquarters but all other places affiliated with Brightdale Pharmaceuticals.”

“Search warrant?!” The middle aged Unicorn picked up the piece of paper, “But on what grounds?!”

“Yeah, what right have you to come barging into our place of business?!” The grey-maned Earth Pony mare demanded.

“I would tell you to ask your CEO… but he isn’t really around, now is he?” Wall sneered.

“Wait, is this about Secret?” The Unicorn mare asked.

“What the hell did he do?!” The balding Pegasus gasped.

“I’ll tell you what he did.” Wall explained, “Secretariat Dysley is a terrorist, associated with the Forefathers.”

“The Forefathers? Oh no…” The middle-aged Unicorn moaned.

“Oh yes.” Wall grunted, “He is wanted for several crimes, including use of a magical bio-weapon to kill ponies in their sleep, attempting criminal anarchy, illegal experimentation on a minor, and you all might get a kick out of this: orchestration of a massacre committed at Brightdale Hospital.”

The board members gasped in shock.

“This has to be some sort of a mistake!” The balding Pegasus yelled, pale, “Secret is not a perfect pony, but he’s not some psycho!”

“Well, we have plenty of evidence to the contrary. So I will have to respectfully disagree.” Wall scoffed.

“But that doesn’t explain why you are tearing up our headquarters!” The young Unicorn snarled, “We didn’t do anything!”

“So you say.” Wall frowned in suspicion, “But we have reason to believe that Mr. Dysley has been siphoning funds from this corporation to fund the Forefathers’ for quite some time.”

“I should have known…” The gangly Pegasus shook his head in disbelief, “All those ‘line items’ in the budget…”

“Wait, so you knew there was something going on?!” The balding pegasus accused.

"Of course I didn't!" The gangly Pegasus gulped.

"So you're just an idiot?" The young Unicorn sneered.

"No more than you!" The middle-aged Unicorn pointed.

"Says the guy who was constantly kissing up to the boss!" The bald Unicorn spat.

“Enough!” Wall slammed the table, silencing them all, “Here’s how it’s going to be: the EBI and I will be conducting a thorough investigation of all the happenings that’s been going on in this company from the very beginning. Investors, suppliers, accounts, trade routes, clients, the works. And make no mistake, if any of you are found to be involved, I promise you, there will be swift justice.”

The board went into an uproar.

"You can't do that!"

"I'm innocent!"

"Somepony get my lawyer!"

“We need to get Mrs. Dysley on the mirror right away!” The balding Pegasus demanded.

“Do you think she knows what her son’s been up to?” The Unicorn mare frowned.

"I doubt it." The Earth Pony mare declared. "Rosetta's such a nice mare."

“Look, calm down, everypony. Let’s just try and cooperate with them.” The middle-aged Unicorn urged, “Let’s not make things worse they’re already going to be…”

"Good call." Wall smirked. "Just cooperate, and this will all go so much smoother..."

Several hours later...

Wall activated her mirror. On the other side was Elite.

"Wall. What a pleasant surprise." He remarked, walking through RDL HQ.

"Just calling to say that my operatives have arrived at Dysley Pharm, and we're currently ransacking the place." Wall announced.

"Ah." Elite nodded. "No need to thank my team for piecing everything together for you."

"Don't be so smug." Wall glared. "As usual, your team caused a lot of trouble, and more collateral damage. All the Bits to repair that have to come from somewhere, you know."

"What is a few Bits, compared to the price of freedom?" Elite declared.

"There's that idealism again." Wall shook her head.

"At the end of the day, the Forefathers have lost two more of their operatives, and another project of theirs has been shut down." Elite countered. "That's a win in my book."

"A small win, in the grand scheme of things." Wall glared. "The Forefathers are still out there, and your team is no closer to bring them down then they were before."

"It's not for lack of trying." Elite frowned. "And as long as Equestria is kept safe, my team are doing their job."

"Well then, let's just hope it'll be enough." Wall sighed. "Once my operatives have done their job, I'll be giving you another update."

"Until then, I suppose." Elite sighed.

"Until then." Wall switched off her mirror.

Mere seconds later, Elite's mirror received another call. Letting out a sigh, Elite answered it, as Fletcher and Caboose’s faces appeared on it.

“Oh, hey, guys.” He smiled, “You two enjoying your time off?”

"Very much so." Fletcher declared, “We’re just having a drink at the local tavern right now.”

"Yeah, just thought we'd check in." Caboose added. "See how things are going."

"For starters, has there been any word regarding Secret Dysley?" Fletcher asked.

"I'm afraid not." Elite shook his head. "Dysley is in the wind right now, but Ms. Wall told me that the EBI is now investigating Brightdale. With the company now under watch and government scrutiny, the Forefathers can't access their funds anymore. All in all, not a complete loss."

"Better than nothing." Caboose shrugged.

"Anything else to report?" Fletcher inquired.

"Actually, yes." Elite grinned. "I have some good news for you. I was going to wait until you got back, but since you called..." He walked into his office, where a familiar face was waiting. "I would like to introduce you to your new teammate within the Alpha Force Squad... Survival Horror."

"Hey, guys!" Survival waved.

"Hey, pal!" Caboose grinned.

"A most unexpected, yet welcome surprise." Fletcher smiled. "But how exactly did this come to pass?"

“Me and Doctor Horror here got to talking, and after some thought, I figured he’d make an excellent addition to the team…” Elite explained. “He’s already been brought up to speed on everything that has happened thus far.”

"Glad to be aboard, guys." Survival beamed. "I'm excited to give this my all, for Hamm, and all the others who suffered from the Forefathers' machinations."

"Well, I’ll be looking forward to working with you." Fletcher nodded. "See you all soon!"

"Just wait until movie night!" Caboose waved, before the two vanished from the glass.

"I'd say you're going to fit in just fine around here." Elite told Survival.

"Here's hoping." Survival nodded.

At that point, Master Mind entered the room.

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything." He inquired.

"Not at all." Elite replied. "Just told Fletcher and Caboose the good news about Survival. And if I am assuming right, Survival, you finished filling out the paperwork?"

“All done, sir.” Survival patted a stack of papers.

“That’s swell because I need to take Doctor Horror here to see Triage for medical training.” Master Mind declared.

“Well, I better not keep you. We’ll talk about living arrangements later, Survival.” Elite declared.

"Oh, okay." Survival nodded as he made to follow Master Mind. "Lead the way."

Soon after, Triage was in his office, working away, when Survival came in with Master Mind.

"Morning, Triage." Master Mind smiled. "This is our new recruit, Survival Horror. Survival, this is our resident medic, Triage… but I guess you both already knew that, having met a week earlier."

"Nice to meet you." Survival held out a hoof.

"Charmed, I'm sure." Triage shook his hoof halfheartedly.

“Survival here will be assisting you in providing medical assistance to the team.” Master Mind announced.

"'Assisting'?" Triage scoffed. "Surely you mean 'replacing'?"

"Of course not." Master Mind denied it, “Survival will just be a second medic for the team, not to mention he will be more focused in helping Black and the others.” He grimaced, “Come on, Triage, we talked about this.”

“I know, but this is how it starts, you know.” Triage sighed, “A young upstart comes into my place of work, starting out as an assistant to an old relic like me. But as time goes on, that role of assistant begins to expand, to a point that it consumes my position, and sends me into retirement.”

“Oh, Triage…” Master Mind murmured.

“If I may, um, Mr. Mind.” Survival stepped in, “I think I know what’s going on. The way Dr. Triage stands up straight and at attention, and the slight shaking in his hooves, he is a disciplined and tough stallion, with a military background no doubt, who’s been worried about his age and the thought of potentially becoming obsolete. The hooves shaking is him trying to show no weakness, fearing that it would facilitate his retirement.”

“...Huh, I thought you were here to replace me, not Master Mind.” Triage deadpanned, “That was some first year psych student bull right there.”

“Triage.” Master Mind grunted.

“I’m here to replace no one, sir.” Survival nodded respectfully, “I understand you are worried, but I have no intent to upstage you or anyone here. My only hope is to learn everything that I can about being an actual medical doctor, and being able to help my friends. And who better to teach me than an obvious expert such as yourself?"

“Flattery will get you nowhere.” Triage frowned… which soon faded to a small smirk, “...But I do appreciate the sentiment…” He turned to Master Mind, “Could you please excuse us, Master? I have some work to do with Dr. Horror here.”

“Of course, Triage.” Master Mind smiled, a bit relieved, “Happy teaching.”

Master Mind departed. As soon as he did, Triage’s horn lit up as he pulled up a chair. He sat in it and let out a small groan, rubbing his sore hooves.

“I have to say, that was quite a trick you pulled off.” Triage conceded, “Are you some kind of mind reader? A mentalist perhaps?”

“No, just really good at reading folks.” Survival shrugged.

“Just not that it seems.” Triage declared, “I read your file… you were a son of preppers, right?”

"Guilty." Survival raised his hoof.

“I see… which disaster?” Triage asked.

“Well, at first, it was all magical devices going haywire, sending the world into a societal collapse.” Survival shrugged, “...Then it was for when the caribous come and take our mares.”

“Ah, the old ‘Fall of Equestria’ scare. Caused some hassle for some of my caribou buddies back in the day.” Triage mused, “But I know being raised a prepper has its advantages. Take it from an old war horse, things can get pretty bad ‘round here.”

“Well, I’m not scared.” Survival said determinedly, “So don’t spare the gory details. I can take whatever you throw at me…”

“...I have a feeling I’m going to like having you around.” Triage grinned.

Elsewhere in the headquarters, the trio that had ambushed Black and Fury on the Isle of Wheat were getting released by Ballista and Titan.

“Well, this is goodbye.” Ballista declared, “I hope you fellas learned your lesson.”

"Yeah, right." The first stallion scoffed. "Don't get into a fight with a Griffon and a tin man"

“Really? I thought it would be to not take jobs from ponies who don’t show themselves in alleys.” the second snarled.

“Hey, you didn’t have to say 'yes'.” The first pony glared.

"You're the one who wanted the money!" The second pony retorted.

"Was not!" The first pony spat.

“Come on, guys, let’s just go!” The third (and wimpy) pony pleaded, “We’re free. Let’s not botch it, please!”

“Fine.” The two ponies grumbled.

“Glad to see you see reason.” Ballista smirked, “Now, how about we get you out of here?”

The three ponies made to leave… then Titan grabbed the wimpy pony by the shoulder.

“Except you, wise guy.” Ballista glared.

“Huh?” The first pony gaped.

“Hey, what’s the big idea?” The second pony snarled, “Why are you holding him?”

“You see, you two, this wimpy friend of yours isn’t who he says he is.” Ballista declared, “I did some checking around… turns out he’s been faking his credentials. He’s not a construction worker.”

“What?!” The first pony gaped, “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying everything about him is phony.” Ballista crossed his hooves, “I did some further checking, and found out who he really is: a failed actor who’s wanted for fraud… who just so happened to be suspected of engaging in activities with the Forefathers.”

“Are you serious?” The second pony growled.

“Ruh-huh.” Titan nodded.

“Yes. I think it’s safe to say we now know how Dysley found out about the transport.” Ballista said smugly, “Am I right, mate?”

“...Well, it was fun while it lasted.” The wimpy pony sighed, speaking in a deeping more confident voice. The two hired thugs gaped in shock, "Had you all fooled for a while, didn’t I though?”

“Unbelievable.” The second stallion shook his head, “You played saxophone at my sister’s wedding, man!”

“Tough luck, I bucked her too.” The criminal actor taunted.

“Why you son of a-” The second stallion roared, as he attempted to slug him… only to be pushed back by Titan.

“Get those two out of here.” Ballista told Titan, as he grabbed the actor firmly, “I get this arse reacquainted with his pals down in the Pipeline.”

Ballista dragged the aloof actor away, while Titan carried the irate stallion and the dumbfounded stallion out…

For the moment, peace had returned to the lives of these unusual, noble ponies. Happiness was once again shared by many, and all the loose ends from this latest caper had been tied up. Except for one...

Meanwhile…

Deep within the Infinity, Father and his Ouroboros, which now only consisted of Loveless, Ricochet, and Secretariat, were sitting in their chairs in the Coils.

Dysley was wincing as doctors tried to gauze his heavily scarred face.

“Ow… ow…” Secret whimpered.

"Please, sir, stop complaining." The doctor told him. "It's making it very difficult to concentrate."

"You know what really makes it difficult to concentrate? Getting half your face burnt off!" Secret said indignantly.

"Don't be such a baby." Loveless scoffed. "I didn't whine half as much when I lost my legs, for crying out loud!"

"Yeah, ya wuss." Ricochet said coldly.

"Who asked either of you?" Dysley snarled as the doctor struggled with the last of the gauze.

"That should do." The doctor declared.

"Good." Father nodded. "You are excused."

The doctor bowed, and departed from the room.

“Now that you are all patched up, Dysley, I have a request.” Father said calmly. "Would you explain what exactly has transpired over the last week?"

"It's not what you think, sir." Dysley tried to defend himself. "I'm afraid Doc has taken the path of Sterling and gone rogue. He tried to take Nyx away, impeding the project. And though I had everything in hoof, Silas chose this time to go rogue too. He mutinied against me, tried to pervert the project to serve his own goals. It was because of him, Doc, and those RDL stooges that everything ended up ruined."

“Is that so?” Father began, sounding not the least bit happy, “That’s… unfortunate.”

“Sir, I am so sorry.” Dysley apologized, “I swear, I will do everything in my power to make it up to you, your most noble, visionary, wise-”

“Silence.” Father cut him off.

“Um, sir?” Dysley grimaced.

“If there’s anything you should be sorry for, it’s for thinking you can lie to me.” Father said coldly, “I know what has truly transpired this week… beginning with how you attempted to take full control of Doc’s project, intent on using the subject for a darker purpose, to the point of physical abuse. And when Doc found out about the abuse, he tried to take her away. And in your ever so blustering attempt to get her back, first three ponies were killed in one night, then an entire hospital was needlessly massacred. And what of the events that transpired in the warehouse district?"

“N-now, that wasn’t my fault.” Dysley tried to defend, “I was caught off-guard by Doc’s ability to use his shadow, and then Luna’s daughter came in and tried to take Nyx away and then Silas and… it was a huge clusterbuck, sir! So much disarray! And then, all because of Silas, Nyx’s powers went out of control-”

“Enough!” Father scowled, “The ponies involved matter little. What is to be taken from this is because of you and your inability to maintain control of the situation, we have suffered yet another tremendous blow to our operations, and lost so many faithful agents…”

“Come on, I’m sure it’s not that bad-” Dysley stammered.

“Twenty four agents!”

Dysley jumped, as everypony glanced at Ricochet, who was fuming with rage.

“Ex-excuse me?” Dysley gaped.

“Twenty. Four. Agents.” Ricochet snarled, “That is how many ponies we lost that night. Roadblock. Peats. Briar… they’re all in jail now, because of you…”

“Ricochet, please calm-” Loveless tried to sooth him.

"Don't 'Ricochet' me, Wheels!" Ricochet yelled. He turned to Dysley. "The other guys who came back talked to me! They told me everything that went down in that warehouse. They told me all about how after you got the subject back, that instead of getting the hell outta dodge, you decided to stick around and hide out in a warehouse, so you could go on and on about how you hate Doc!"

"Well, I do hate him!" Dysley spat. "It was because of him that my father was killed! He needed to pay for what he has done to him and to me!"

“Oh, cry me a river!” Ricochet shut him down, “Doc was a great stallion! He loved your father, and you! He looked out for all of us all these years! But you didn’t care about that. You just couldn’t get over what happened to your daddy. And now, because of your daddy issues and that fact that you’re a buckin’ asshole…”

Ricochet suddenly pulled out and slammed something down… it was a mask of some sorts… Somnus’ mask.

“Doc is now gone. I lost another friend. And not even a couple of months after Sterling left!” Ricochet felt tears in his eyes, as he was overcome with rage, “So now, it’s just me, Wheels, and you!” He was clenching his hooves, moments away from climbing out of his seat, “I swear to Faust, I should take you out back and have you look at flowers or some crap, so I can blow your f-”

"Ricochet." Father said calmly, yet firmly.

Ricochet stopped instantly, looking at Father… he closed his eyes, sniffing a little.

"Boss... can I please be excused?" He requested, pain in his voice.

“Of course, Ricochet.” Father nodded, sympathy in his voice.

Ricochet slowly got out of his chair, and briskly walked out. He cast a very vicious death glare as he passed Dysley. Loveless looked on in sadness... before glaring at Dysley.

"...Lauren buckin' Faust, the hell was his problem?" Dysley gasped, outraged.

“Ricochet is right, you know.” Loveless said calmly.

"...What?" Dysley said flatly.

"Because of your overblown ego and vindictive grudge, Doc is gone, his subject is out of our reach, and a good number of agents have been arrested." Loveless said disdainfully. "To put simply, you really screwed the pooch.”

"I told you, it wasn't my fault!" Dysley shot back angrily. "I had everything under control until Silas took the remote from me!"

"Well, it sounds to me like Silas was doing the smart thing for once." Loveless said coldly. "You see, the agents also talked to me. They told me about how you were hesitating because the subject had been taken by Princess Constell and wasn’t being compliant."

"Loveless makes a good point." Father acknowledged. "Now why would you hesitate at such a vital moment."

"I... I didn't want to hurt Constell." Dysley weakly tried to defend himself. "She's my friend's wife… I couldn’t do that to Luxury!"

“So, what you’re admitting to is that you let your personal feelings get in the way of the mission.” Loveless growled, “Surely we have taught you about forming attachments, Secret.”

“You’re one to talk.” Dysley shot back defiantly, “The guy who disappeared all month, crying over that turncoat son-of-a-bitch Sterling? Here’s a hint: he has no legs.”

"You leave Sterling out of this." Loveless said coldly.

“Why? Because if you ask me, I think we should be concerned about you-” Dysley began.

“That’s enough.” Father cut in, “...You should know that I am very disappointed in you, Secretariat Dysley. I had hoped that in taking you in, the Forefathers would have a chance at finishing what your father began, and bring Project: Bad Dreams to fruition alongside Doc. But you let your anger and hatred blind you to reason. You perverted the project, and now the Forefathers' name is more tarnished than ever. And worst of all another one of my sons has left, never to return."

Father had not raised his voice by a single decibel, but Dysley was left trembling by his speech.

"S-sir, please, I-I can still fix this." He pledged. "I can find a way to get Nyx and dispose of Doc. Then we can-"

"No." Father cut him off. "Your efforts have caused enough trouble. I forbid any attempts at reclaiming the subject."

"But-!" Dysley spluttered.

"This 'Nyx' is best left free." father declared. "She is of no use to the organization now. As for Doc... or as we should call him now, Somnus... he is of no threat to us."

"If I could just-" Dysley continued to protest this.

"Silence." Father said firmly, shutting him up. "Your failure has cost us greatly. And if I was being completely honest, I have half a mind to strip you of your rank, or even expel you from the Forefathers altogether..."

Still cowed into silence, Dysley had a look of horror on his face.

“...But I won’t.” Father announced.

Both Loveless and Dysley were shocked by this statement.

“Sir?” Loveless gaped.

“While you have failed me today, Dysley, I still believe you could be of use to me.” Father explained his decision, “You still possess those off-shore accounts from Caymare, correct?”

Dysley nodded quickly.

“And there are still those labs that Brightdale are not aware of that you own, right?”

Dysley nodded once more.

“Then you have some value to this organization.” Father declared, “And I do believe in second chances… but be forewarned. I will be observing you very closely from here on. Should you ever do something this idiotic ever again, I will not hesitate to deal with you as I dealt with Solomon. " He glared coldly at Dysley. "Do I make myself clear?"

Dysley, utterly broken, bowed his head.

"Yes." He said, in the most defeated tone possible.

“Good.” Father said, grim satisfaction in his voice. "Now, let us put this all behind us…” He then noticed Loveless’ silence, “...Is everything alright, Loveless? You seem troubled.”

“...Sir, if I could be honest.” Loveless began, “I-”

"AAAAAAHHHHH!" A loud scream emanated from the outside.

"What was-?" Loveless started.

The doors slammed open as Ricochet flew in, screaming his head off.

"Ahhhh!" Ricochet screamed, as he flew behind Father’s chair, "Hide me!"

“What is the meaning of this, Ricochet?” Father asked.

“There’s a very scary monster coming right this way!” Ricochet quivered, “And it’s gonna kill us all!”

“What is that moron screaming about?” Dysley clutched his ears, “What monst-”

Before Dysley could finish, a purple mist began to filter into the room, turning the whole room foggy. The scarred stallion immediately felt a sense of dread, recognizing the wisps…

“Is this… miasma?” Dysley gaped.

“What is going on here?” Loveless looked around, concerned.

Suddenly, some of the ‘miasma’ began spiraling over a chair, one that once seated Nabudis. The form of a tall, blackish purple stallion emerged, lounging in the chair as if it was it’s own. His eyes were pure white… and his face… looked familiar.

Ricochet peeked out from behind Father's chair, frightened at what had appeared in the Coils… only to be struck by that same familiarity.

“...Hold on… is that…” Ricochet frowned.

"What the-" Loveless gaped.

"No... no, it can't be..." Dysley trembled.

Father remained stoic, as he too recognized the being that sat before him, looking back at him with his cold white eyes…

“Silas Necross.” Father said, undaunted.

"Silas" grinned wickedly at all of them.

"I'm baaaack..."

The End... For Now.

Comments ( 3 )

Is there a read order? This sounds like a sequel from the description

10615221
It is. Check my blog post "My Next Gen Story Chronology" for that.

Well, I’m happy that Nyx got a new family.

Login or register to comment