• Published 8th May 2019
  • 586 Views, 13 Comments

Fear of A Child - Bluecatcinema



A waking nightmare is on the horizon...

  • ...
4
 13
 586

A Troubled Past

After their latest search turned up nothing, Survival and Nabudis reconvened with the Taskforce members at one of Canterlot's parks, which was mere distances from the Skytower Stable where they agreed to reconvene. The non-triumphant expressions on the faces of all concerned were a clear indication that none of them had been successful.

"I'm guessing you guys got a big, fat nothing too?" Sterling scowled.

"I wouldn't put it quite so crudely." Nabudis frowned. "But yes, still no sign of the patient."

"We haven't had any luck either." Fletcher admitted. "We’d tried some of the toy stores, but we got nothing… although Caboose insisted on getting this ‘fidget spinner’.”

"Whoo!" Caboose spun the fidget spinner on his hoof. "Look at it go!"

"We tried some of the candy stores, but there was no sign of her." Survival announced.

"Very vexing, I must say." Nabudis scowled.

"Heh-heh, it's still goin'!" Caboose chuckled, as the fidget spinner continued spinning. "Spin, spin, spin!"

Sterling snatched the fidget spinner out of Caboose's hoof.

"That's enough of that for one day, pal." He said bluntly.

"Aww..." Caboose pouted, disappointed.

“I just don’t get it. Where else could the patient be hiding?” Fletcher pondered.

“Maybe someplace so unlikely, none of us would ever think of it?" Caboose suggested. "That'd be a good spot to hide!"

“But there lies the problem. How do we find someone in a place that we would, by definition, never think of looking there?” Fletcher mused.

"...By not thinking, of course!" Caboose grinned.

“...You know, sometimes I wonder how you ever got anything done with him as your lieutenant.” Sterling glanced at Fletcher.

“Not going to lie. It was not without tremendous difficulty.” Fletcher deadpanned.

"Not unlike our current situation." Survival cut in. "We are running out of specific locations to search. At this rate, it won't be long before we're reduced to going door to door, asking if anypony has seen the patient."

"Call me crazy, but I don't think that'll work." Caboose said, missing the sarcasm.

As they discussed the matter, Sterling noticed Nabudis edging away from the others.

"And where are you going?" Sterling frowned.

“I’m going to ask around the park.” Nabudis revealed, “It’s a long shot, but I’m hoping one of them might have seen her.”

“Should I go with you, sir?” Survival asked.

“No, you wait here with the others and take a moment to rest.” Nabudis declared, “I’ll only be a few minutes.

“Oh, okay, I guess.” Survival frowned.

“Do be careful, doctor.” Fletcher declared.

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Nabudis rolled his eyes, as he walked away. Sterling looked on, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

“Well, for all his flaws, you can’t deny that he has quite the determination.” Fletcher admitted, “I just hope that it will pay off though.”

“Either way, we get to hang out in the park.” Caboose smirked, “It’s a win-win!”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Survival nodded… before noting the others were staring at him, “...What?”

“...Aren’t you going to tell us?” Fletcher asked.

Survival glanced at him in confusion.

“About Nabudis. What’s he hiding.” Sterling added.

“Yeah, like what we discussed last chapter.” Caboose frowned.

“Oh! Oh, right!” Survival lit up… before drooping, “...Right.”

“What? What is it?” Sterling questioned, “Did you strike out?”

“No, nothing like that.” Survival shook his head, “Me and Somnus talked a bit and…”

"What about?" Caboose asked.

"Well..." Survival said hesitantly.

"Don't hold out on us now." Sterling urged.

"You're not hiding something, are you?" Fletcher asked concerned.

"Not exactly..." Survival mused, losing himself in thought.

Several minutes earlier…

Nabudis and Survival were en route to the nearby park, where they were going to meet Fletcher and the others. Both weren’t particularly in high spirits, having no luck in finding the wayward patient.

"All this effort, and we still have no idea where she is!" Nabudis vented.

"We'll find her, sir." Survival consoled him. "We can't give up. You never know, maybe the others got lucky-"

Nabudis suddenly lift up a hoof, blocking Survival.

“Som?” Survival frowned.

“Look, before we see them, there’s something I must ask of you.” Nabudis declared, “It is highly important that you do not tell them the truth behind Nyx or of my… ‘falling out’ with Mr. Dysley.”

“Wait, what?!” Survival gaped, “But sir, what you told me could absolve you. If they know just how much Nyx means to you, they’ll know for certain that you are not the bad pony they think you are!”

“That may be.” Nabudis grimaced, a grim look on his face, “...But what to say, if and when we do find Nyx, that they won’t take her away as well?”

“What do you mean? Why would they?” Survival gaped.

“Take a moment to think, Fievel.” Nabudis urged, “Even though my intentions were pure, what I did was highly illegal. I had you and Hamm smuggled a patient out of Brightdale, and through this action, Hamm and those pullers were killed by the Forefathers.”

“But that wasn’t your fault!” Survival defended.

“You think they’ll see it that way?” Nabudis rebutted, “Although it wasn’t intentional, it was my fault that you all were in that predicament to begin with. Do you honestly believe that they would allow Nyx to be put back under my care as her doctor, let alone father, if they were to learn of all this?”

“Well, better you than Dysley.” Survival glared, “After all, you wouldn’t have done any of this if Dysley hadn’t tried to take Nyx away from you.”

“After I had an unauthorized facility built under his hospital, using their funds, to raise a child I never officially adopted.” Nabudis pointed out, “As much as it pains me to admit, in legal sense, Dysley was more in his right to do all that. And if the RDL were to find out about both Nyx and how I was fired, they will most likely be obligated to remand Nyx to Dysley and his company’s custody, making all my efforts to this point all for naught.”

“But… but they told me that Dysley is a pony of interest in both the attack on me and on Brightdale.” Survival murmured, “Surely if the RDL can do their thing-”

“That is a very big if.” Nabudis said glumly, “Secretariat is an affluential pony… and I’m just a former doctor who everyone sees as a lowly outcast. Put us next to each other, and it’s no contest to who anypony would side with.”

"But the RDL could help us." Survival pointed out. "They wouldn’t care about reputation, just doing what's right. I'm sure we can trust them."

“Well, the choice is yours...” Nabudis shook his head, “I can’t make you lie nor will I force you. But before you speak, I want you to consider the ramifications…”

As the two continued onwards, Survival pondered Nabudis’ words…

'Consider the ramifications...' He thought.

The present...

Survival was snapped out of his recollection by Caboose prodding him in his temple.

"Hello?" Caboose tapped. "Anypony home?"

“...He said nothing.” Survival said firmly.

“...Nothing?” Fletcher frowned disapprovingly. “Doctor Horror…”

“Nothing... incriminating.” Survival added tersely, “Look, I talked with him, and there was nothing he said that suggests that he had anything to do with Brightdale or otherwise.”

"Well, I guess that was sort of a long shot," Sterling said grudgingly.

"Another lead that probably panned out to nothing." Fletcher sighed.

Survival was silently relieved.

"Oh, well." Caboose shrugged. "At least it made for a supenseful narrative tangeant."

"I know know Doctor Nabudis can seem somewhat... standoffish, but he really is a decent pony underneath it all." Survival insisted.

“...So, what exactly do you see in him?” Sterling asked.

“Excuse me?” Survival frowned.

“I mean, I get that he's your mentor, and your friend… but why are you so adamant that he’s not a bad guy?” Sterling questioned, “Especially with how he’s been acting lately?”

“I thought I’ve already told you guys this. He’s not always like this!” Survival growled in frustration.

“Yeah, that he’s caring, compassionable, and Amy-able, yada yada.” Caboose scoffed, “Not really seeing it though.”

“Indeed, as you recall our conversation from earlier, he seems to have… should I say… obsessive tendencies?” Fletcher grimaced, “Not somepony I would consider good company.”

“Well, of course you wouldn’t. You guys don’t know him like I do.” Survival glared.

“So you say… care to elaborate for us?” Sterling challenged.

"It's not exactly a grand tale." Survival said humbly. "I first met Nabudis when my friend, Hamm..." He paused in remembrance. "...Got my an interview. And I was super late, because , well... let's just say there was a very big flight delay. Even though I was way best the appointment time, Nabudis still gave me an interview."

"That was quite courteous of him." Fletcher noted.

"What happened next?" Caboose asked, eating from a box of popcorn he had gotten from out of nowhere.

"Well, Nabudis was impressed by all my psychological knowledge and medical know-how, so he took me under his wing, showing me everything there was to being a doctor." Survival declared.

“Wow… that’s actually pretty touching.” Caboose admitted.

“You bet your flanks it is.” Survival grinned, “You might not know it, but Nabudis was one of the most important ponies in Brightdale. Day after day, he had lots of appointments, meetings, and all sorts of research projects…”

“Projects, you say?” Fletcher mused, “What kind?

“Mostly involving medical research.” Survival explained, “Almost every week, Nabudis would get called out to all sorts of places, other doctors and researchers seeking his wisdom and expertise. Heck, one time, I spent a whole week trying to get a hold of him when he was out in Yokestadt, overseeing the mining operations in these caves for special minerals…”

“Yokestadt?” Sterling frowned, ’...Wait… I think I know what caves he’s talking about… wasn’t that the place where-’

“Then I find out that the caves are rather infamous for fudging with magic-related devices, especially mirrors.” Survival gave a small chuckle, “Boy, I felt dumb that day…”

’...That’s funny…’ Sterling grimaced, ’...Surely he can’t be talking about those caves me and… Dysley…’

Memories flooded in his mind of that day. It was at those caves that he had officially met Sacred Dysley for the first time (and sadly only time), both him and the mysterious Doc. He was sent there to check on them, and almost ended up in a cave-in when they were trying to retrieve a fragment of Nightmare Moon… but surely if he had seen Nabudis there, he would had easily recognized him when they met yesterday… unless he was wearing a...

’...No, that can’t be right.’ Sterling shook his head, ’Maybe there was some other caves that Nabudis visited… not like there isn’t a whole network of them out there...’

“Me and Nabudis had a good laugh for a while.” Survival continued, “Although there were times that I was actually worried for him. There was this one time he went to Alpacia of all places...”

Sterling’s eyes narrowed, it was another place he was well familiar with.

“Alpacia? As in that country of loonies?” Caboose gaped, “Whoa, talk about well-traveled." Caboose noted. "His travel agent must be rich..."

"I don't think that's how it works, Caboose." Fletcher deadpanned.

“Well, Nabudis was lucky to get out of there with his life.” Survival shuddered, “He told me how he ran afoul of this militia, and how they had sic this monster on him… what was it called… it was like a mix of a fish and a dog-”

“A Titanbeast?” Sterling spoke up, his eyes widening.

“Yeah, that’s it!” Survival smirked, “When he got back, Nabudis swore to me that he’d never go there again.”

Sterling felt a bout of uneasiness. He still remembered that rescue mission to save that mysterious stallion Epoch, and how they nearly met their end when the leader of that militant group, a mental stout stallion named Stature, had a Titanbeast that gave them the business… but Titanbeasts are a very rare species… and Nabudis and he couldn’t have seen the same beast… unless he was there… wearing a…

’No, that’s not possible. Knowing those loons, they probably have multiple Titanbeasts throughout Alpacia. Nabudis could have easily ran afoul of another miltant organization… that’s it, it has to be.’ Sterling tried to convince himself.

“I won’t lie, he certainly does get around a lot.” Fletcher admitted, “Never realized there was so much to research in the medical field.”

“Well, he isn’t good for only research and tending to the mentally unwell.” Survival boasted, “Being such an accomplished physician, he's often had to be called upon to perform life-saving surgery."

"Ooh, like what?" Caboose asked.

"Well, I'm not really at liberty to divulge sensitive medical records." Survival replied. "But off the record, I do remember that during a trip to Neigh Orleans to study some medicinal plants, he was sought out to perform an emergency operation..."

’...No…’ Sterling was stupefied. There was no way...

"...What kind of 'emergency operation'?" Sterling suddenly asked.

“Oh, it was awful. Nabudis had to staple an entire hoof back onto this poor stallion’s leg.” Survival shook his head.

"Ouch." Fletcher cringed.

"That must've been some accident." Caboose gaped.

"Oh, it was no accident." Survival shook his head. "From what I heard, some maniac mare with a chainsaw lopped the hoof right off. It was touch and go for a while, but Somnus was able to reattach it, and after getting him to a proper hospital, the patient enjoyed a miraculous recovery.”

This was getting freaky for Sterling. He too was in Neigh Orleans, retrieving formulas for what would become the Super Soldier Serum for Gridlock and Harlhooves, when Erlenmeyer Flask, the mare who created the formula, had gone mad (from testing said formulas on herself) and came at him with a chainsaw, and just like that stallion in Survival’s story… he got his hoof cut off too.

And had it not been for one stallion, who just so happened to have been forced to come along that fateful day, who reattached that hoof (which would then be fixed up by that same formula he was out there to collect) he might have lost that hoof for good, along with his life. It was all thanks to Doc… who was wearing a...

'It...it can't be...' He thought, rubbing his "strong" hoof. ’This all have to be some freaky coincidence…’

"That is quite impressive." Fletcher declared. "Not that many physicians can reattach a severed limb like that..."

"Yeah, sounds like he's some kinda super-doc." Caboose grinned.

“Nabudis would be embarrassed if you called him that.” Survival smirked, “He was humble that way. He told me how he owed his success to many ponies he have met over the years… but there was only one pony that pushed him to be the very best he was, a pony he cherished above all else… his name was Sacred Dysley.”

Sterling froze up. Nabudis and Sacred knew each other?

'Dysley?' He thought.

"Sacred Dysley?" Fletcher asked, his eyes wary, “As in Secretariat’s father? The ‘former’ Forefathers member?”

"I know what you're thinking." Survival said quickly. "But it's not what you suspect. Dysley and Somnus went back. Way back. All the way to elementary school. They were childhood friends. The moment he became CEO, he gave Somnus a job at Brightdale, and the two had been together at the hip onwards. Sacred absolutely respected and valued Nabudis, and Nabudis never had a bad thing to say about him… they were practically inseparable."

"Aw, sounds like they were the best of pals." Caboose grinned.

"Maybe." Survival replied. "Maybe more..."

"What does that mean?" Fletcher inquired.

"Well, it was mostly rumors, but there were reasons to believe that Somnus and Sacred… were… well, an item." Survival confessed, “That they really like each other.”

“No kidding?” Caboose gaped, “Nabudis is… I would had never guessed.”

“You and me both.” Fletcher frowned, “...But hold on, wasn’t Sacred married? Hence the son? If Nabudis and him were an item…”

“Ooh, it just got ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ up in here.” Caboose cooed.

“Like I said, they were only rumors.” Survival corrected, “...Although it would have explained all the times Nabudis and Dysley had gone away together on those research projects…” Survival’s face fell, “And just how much it destroyed Nabudis when Sacred died…”

“When Sacred died?” Sterling repeated.

“Yeah… when I saw Somnus the day after that airship accident that killed Dysley, you could have sworn that he had died that day too.” Survival sighed, “He was so lost in despair… he wouldn’t eat, he halted all his research… hell, he stopped coming into work for a long while.”

“...Did he now?” Sterling questioned, his eyes taking on a gleam.

“That’s right. Hamm told me it was a sabbatical… but I knew better.” Survival said glumly, “Nabudis needed time to grieve… and I guess now, after what happened to Brightdale and all my colleagues and friends, I can begin to understand just how much he was hurting.”

“I can relate. My family went through something like that when my oldest brother died." Caboose admitted. "It's not the easiest thing to get over."

“No kidding.” Survival bowed his head, “...Fortunately, he did eventually come back, for better or worse. While he still had those days, he only threw himself harder into his work, going one step and beyond to help other ponies. He told me himself that is what Sacred would have wanted.”

Fletcher and Caboose were both moved by this statement. Fletcher held his hoof to his chest in awe, while Caboose struggled to keep himself from crying.

"That is quite inspiring." Fletcher admitted. "Wouldn't you agree, Sterling?"

"...What?" Sterling snapped out of his grim reverie. "Uh, yeah, sure."

"That's why I respect Somnus so much." Survival smiled. "And why I believe he could not be responsible for any of these events. Even after everything he's been through, he is still dedicated to helping others. Not hurting them."

"Now that's the kind of life story that would make a great movie of the week." Caboose beamed.

"Indeed." Fletcher nodded. "Perhaps there truly is more to Nabudis than I first imagined.

"Glad you're finally coming round." Survival smirked. "Trust me, by the time this is all over, that perspective will only get better..."

As the others continued talking, Sterling tuned them out, as he came to a shocking realization. It was unbelievable. Unlikely. Crazy… but at the same time… it all seem to line up. The caves and Yokestadt. The chainsaw-wielding mare and Neigh Orleans. The Titanbeast and Alpacia. And then there was Sacred…

While he did not know Sacred long, he knew how close Doc was to him. Doc flat out threatened to throttle him when he almost got him killed in that cave-in. A response like that was certainly saying that they were more than just partners, even if Doc wouldn’t had said it aloud. And like Nabudis, Doc himself had disappeared following his death.

The similarities were damning...

’But that makes no sense.’ Sterling grimaced, ’If Nabudis is Doc… does that mean this patient of his… is she really a part of Project: Bad Dreams? But if that is the case, then why is he here with us then? Wouldn’t he be better off helping the Fore...’

Suddenly, however, he recalled the words Secretariat spoke to him yesterday.

’Doc has been acting suspicious. He hasn’t been down to the Coils in forever. He has pretty much locked out all but a few ponies out of his lab, and his ‘subject’... I hesitate to say this… but I think Doc is planning something. Something awful.’

’Suspicious… what if I had this all wrong?’ Sterling thought to himself, dread building in his stomach, ’What if Dysley really doesn’t know anything, and all this death and carnage was some part of this big scheme Doc is…’ Sterling shook his head in disgust, ’No, you’re being stupid, Sterling. Doc had his flaws, but he’s not some monster. He wouldn’t do something this horrible… he wouldn’t… would he?’

"Uh... Sterling?" Caboose interrupted his inner monologue.

"What?" Sterling started.

"Looked like you were off in Sterling land." Caboose noted. "What is it with everypony zoning out today?"

I was just processing all the new info." Sterling attempted to brush it off.

"I suppose it was a lot to take in." Fletcher shrugged.

At that point, Nabudis returned.

“Somnus, you’re back.” Survival smiled.

“Any luck?” Fletcher frowned.

“Not really.” Nabudis grimaced, “At this point, it seems I have greatly underestimated the difficulty of finding a black filly.”

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Doc." Caboose consoled him. "Speaking as a father, I know how much trouble kids can be to rein in sometimes."

"I'm sure we're getting closer to finding her." Fletcher added.

"If you say so." Nabudis shrugged. "But first, we must discuss our next plan of action."

"Do you have any ideas, Som?" Survival asked.

"As a matter of fact, I do." Nabudis nodded. "The best way to maximize our chances of finding our target is by ensuring we search as many different areas as possible."

"Do I see the words 'Let's split up, gang' on the horizon?" Caboose deadpanned.

"Of course." Nabudis said flatly. "Survival, you and I will investigate the South-West, while our compatriots will look into the South-East."

"Yes, sir." Survival nodded.

“Actually, if it’s all the same, doctor… I would like to join you and Survival in your search.” Sterling suddenly spoke up.

"Huh?" Caboose frowned, confused.

"Pardon?" Fletcher asked.

"Really?" Survival gaped.

“And may I ask why?” Nabudis challenged.

“Safety reasons.” Sterling said simply, “After what had happened last night, I think someone should accompany you two to make sure you're protected.”

“Yet you weren’t concerned this morning?” Nabudis raised a brow.

"What can I say?" Sterling shrugged. "Guess you've grown on me since then."

Nabudis stared at Sterling, who stared back at him, gazes locked.

“...Very well. But don’t even think of slowing us down.” Nabudis glared.

“Wouldn’t dream of it… doctor.” Sterling said tersely.

“Then it’s settled, I guess.” Fletcher nodded, a bit bemused, “Once more, into the fray”

"This would be easier if we had some Scooby Snacks..." Caboose muttered.

The search party split up once more, leaving the park through two different paths

Soon after they departed… there was a rustling in the bushes, as a pony in a trenchcoat and hat emerged from it, his eyes following Nabudis, Survival, and Sterling...

"Isn't this interesting..." The pony said quietly.

A short distance away, Fletcher and Caboose were moving to their designated search area.

"...What was that all about?" Fletcher asked.

"Sorry?" Caboose frowned.

"Why did Sterling decide to go with Survival and Nabudis?" Fletcher inquired.

"Beats me." Caboose shrugged. "He was kinda quiet right before, though. Almost like he had a very shocking revelation..." He shrugged again. "Eh, it’s probably nothing."

"I just hope Sterling knows what he’s doing." Fletcher said worriedly.

Several streets away, Survival and Nabudis were marching forward with determination, while Sterling was hanging in the back.

"Keep an eye out for any places that could be used as cover by a foal." Nabudis urged. "Anywhere low to the ground, and well-concealed."

"Will do, Som." Survival nodded. "I even have a few ideas in that regard..."

From his vantage point in the back, Sterling kept glancing at Nabudis, trying to see anything in his posture or characteristics that supported the idea that he was Doc.

’Just what is going on here?’ Sterling mused. ’Is Nabudis really Doc? If he is, then what is he up to? Why does Secretariat believe he’s planning something awful, behind the Forefathers’ back? And on that note, why would Doc betray the Forefathers? And why now?” Sterling shook his head in frustration as he glanced warily at Nabudis, who was still talking to Survival, ’I have to get to the bottom of this… Not just because it's a possible lead, but to my own mind at ease.’

Back at the castle, Nyx was still playing with her friends. They were currently playing badminton, Pureblood going up against Hurricane. The filly's greater speed and agility gave her a distinct advantage, but Pureblood's strategy was proving an effective enough counter to give her a run for her money.

"That's one more for me." Hurricane smirked, after hitting the shuttlecock over the net. "You're slippin', PB."

"We'll see about that." Pureblood scowled.

"Show 'er how it's done, bro!" Vito cheered.

"You can do it, Hurri!" Miracle whooped.

"Can I play next?" Nyx asked. "I've never even heard of this game before today."

"You haven't?" Miracle frowned. "Where have you been?"

"Yeah, where?" Vito narrowed.

"Oh, just... out in the countryside." Nyx said hastily. "Never really went too far from home. There's a lot of things I only just learned about when I came here."

"Well, we're all happy to teach you as much as possible." Miracle smiled.

"I'd like that." Nyx nodded, as she returned her focus to the game.

It was just now occurring to her how much she had been missing out on during her short, sheltered life. Now she had the chance to learn more about the world, and she intended to take it. If nothing else, it would take her mind off the loss of her father...

At the same time, Black and Fury finally arrived at the Isle of Wheat.

"Okay." Black declared as they disembarked from the boat. "We're here at last."

"'Bout time." Fury stretched his wings. "I hate travelling by boat."

“Hey, at least you didn’t have to sleep inside this tin can.” Black scoffed, trying to stretch, “Armory might've made this thing to take nukes, but it’s hell on the back.”

"I've slept in cold, craggy caves." Fury retorted. "Felt like I was sleepin' on a bed of broken glass..."

"I was once thrown out a window, and passed out on the glass shards." Black replied. "Imagine waking up to that."

"Okay, you win." Fury rolled his eyes. "Now, where to?

"Now, if I'm reading this right, the hospital should be a little ways to the East from here." Black glanced at the manifest they recovered from the damaged carriage. "Let's get moving."

"Sure." Fury growled. "Sooner we get there, the sooner we can get back on that lousy boat..."

The two made their way through the island, driving the carriage they brought along on the ferry.

“So… any idea what we’re going to say to the guys at the hospital?” Fury frowned, “Because I don’t know if they’re going to be in a talkative mood, what with Brightdale and all.”

“Hadn’t given it much thought.” Black grimaced, undoing his helm and visor, “But we gotta at least try and figure out what’s going on with this patient.”

“You’re right about… by the way, did you hear how Fletch and the others are doing on their end?” Fury asked, “I’m guessing they’re still looking?”

“Afraid so. Elite suggested that once we finish up here, we should head over to Canterlot to assist with the search if the target hasn’t been spotted by then.” Black declared.

“Probably a good idea.” Fury admitted, “Patient or not, I hate to see this kid get pulled into some awful stuff by the Forefathers.”

“More the reason to get this visit over with so we can find her.” Black said firmly, “Speaking of which, I think we are…” His gaze turned to confusion, “Here? What the…”

The carriage came to a stop, as Black and Fury stepped out of the carriage… but rather than being parked in front of a hospital…

They were standing before a construction site.

“This can’t be right.” Black glanced around.

"No flappin' joke." Fury scratched his head. "Why would they say there's a hospital here when there is no flappin' hospital?" He looked at Black, “Are you sure we’re at the right place?”

“We should be. I’ve followed the manifest to the letter.” Black grimaced, as he then noticed something, “Look at this.”

Close by was a large sign. It said

The new Brightdale hospital, coming soon.

“Coming soon?” Fury blanched, “What the hell is going on ‘round here?”

“I don’t know. But it doesn’t look like this place is ready to accept our wayward patient… let alone anypony.” Black mused, as he gestures back to the carriage, “Come on, let’s go in and take a look around. Something isn’t right.”

The two returned to the carriage, and drove it onto the site. as they drove around the lot, they took in the sight. There was a lot of framework set in place, and door frames, but there was still so much to do.

The carriage stopped once again as Black and Fury got out and surveyed their surroundings.

“This is weird…” Black frowned.

“Which part?” Fury deadpanned, “That the hospital our patient was supposed to go to doesn’t exist yet, or the fact that there’s nopony here?”

“Both I guess.” Black mused, “There’s no construction equipment around. I’m guessing the crew must have halted their work. It might have to do with what happened over at the other Brightdale hospital.”

"Yeah, maybe..." Fury mused.

Unbeknownst to the two of them, they were being watched from the shadows.

“Well, it’s about damn time.” One voice growled.

“Tell me about it. You said they’d be here days ago.” Another voice snarled.

“Hey, I was just going off what the other guy told me.” The first voice rebutted, “Take it up with him.”

“Oh, jeez, those guys look rather scary.” A nervous third voice began, “And what’s up with their carriage? There’s no pullers.”

“...You know, he has a point.” The second voice realized, “Didn’t your source say that there’d be pullers on the carriage?”

“Well, maybe they changed up carriages. And maybe that’s why they were late.” The first voice supposed.

“But an automated carriage? Aren’t those reserved for like the military or something?” The second voice frowned.

“Dude, they’re from one of the biggest companies in Equestria. I’m sure they have access to the top of the line stuff everywhere…” The first voice scoffed, “But enough talk. Let’s get ‘em…”

“Um, I don’t know about this…” The third voice murmured.

“Come on, you pansy…” The second voice grumbled.

Black and Fury made their way deeper into the heart of the area, glancing around for anything suspicious. Suddenly, Fury’s wings twitched.

“Black… I feel something.” Fury said grimly, “Someone’s watching us.”

"You sure?" Black frowned.

"These twitchy wings of mine are never wrong." Fury remarked.

"Okay." Black nodded.

"Any ideas?" Fury inquired.

"Let's keep moving." Black declared. "Let them, whoever they are, make the first move."

Fury nodded silently.

As they continued onward, they neared a line of shacks, possibly used for holding building supplies, and casting shadows over the surrounding area.

As they drew nearer, a voice spoke out.

"That's far enough."

Coming out of the shadows were three ponies, donning ski masks, with crossbows holstered at their hips.

“Yup, what did I tell you?” Fury smirked.

“Can we help you, gents?” Black asked the head of the group.

“Oh, I bet you can.” The head masked pony sneered, “You kept us waiting.”

“Waiting? You hear that, ‘Naught?” Fury turned to Black haughtily, using his codename, “They were waiting for us.”

“Indeed. But waiting for what?” Black narrowed his eyes, “What is it do you want?”

“Well, for starters, we want the little pony you got up in your decked out carriage.” The head pony pointed to the carriage.

“What? What are you talking about?” Fury grimaced, glancing back at the carriage, “It’s just us.”

“Okay, you don’t need to play dumb. It’s obvious you guys changed up carriages so you can keep your little V.I.P. safe. But you ain’t foolin’ us.” The head pony scoffed.

“V.I….” Black grimaced, “Okay, I think you are mistaking us for somepony else-”

“Enough of the chit-chat, bub.” The pony on the head pony’s right, notably the owner of the second voice, “We’re taking your ‘cargo’ and your carriage, end of story.”

“Y-yeah.” The other pony, the one with the third’s voice, “I-if you know what's good for ya, you'll beat it... or else!"

“Oh, please. If you guys really knew what was good for you, you wouldn’t be making threats.” Fury smirked.

“Yes. I don’t know who you think we are, but I can tell you now you’re making a big mistake.” Black warned.

"Okay, wanna play hero? Fine by us." The first pony shook his head. "But you brought this on yourselves!"

The first pony tackled Black… only for him to crumble, as he clutched his head. Hitting Black’s armored body was like hitting a brick wall.

“Oh…” The head pony groaned.

“...Okay, not the best start.” Black admitted.

“Tell me about-” Fury grimaced, but then, the other two cronies jumped Fury at once, trying to pin him down.

"Big... mistake!" Fury flared his wings, breaking free and sending his attackers flying.

The two ponies landed roughly.

"Arrgh!" The second voice groaned.

"Was that really necessary?" The third voice whined.

"Oh, yeah." Fury seethed, advancing on them. "And there's more necessities to come."

The head pony renewed his attack Black, and threw a punch. The result: He hurt his hoof on Black's armor.

"Aah!" He yelped.

"That wasn't smart." Black shook his head.

"Shut up!" The head pony lashed out again, hurting his other hoof. "Yeow!"

"My turn." Black smiled. He struck the head pony with a series of rapid-fire blows, each one inflicting heavy damage.

"Uhh!" The head ponyfell backwards, in agony. "That's it, now I'm mad!" He got back up for more.

At the same time, Fury was effortlessly pummeling his two opponents. He was making sure not to break any bones, but still dealing out a hefty dose of pain for both of them.

"Chew on these, boys!" He struck him both with a punch, knocking them back.

"I think I lost a tooth!" The third pony yelped.

"If you need any more dental work done, feel free to ask." Fury taunted.

"Rarrgh!" The second pony suddenly kicked him in the beak.

"Ouch." Fury said flatly. "Let me show you how it's supposed to be done.

Quick as lightning, Fury swung a kick from one of his lion legs at his opponent, catching him in the chest and sending him flying.

"Oof!" The second pony wheezed as he landed on his front, the air forced out of his body.

Before Fury could continue, the third pony jumped his from behind, trying to put him in a full Nelson.

"Give up, please." The third pony urged, a distinctive waver in his voice. "Don't force me to escalate!"

"I'll show you 'escalate'!" Fury snarled.

Fury easily broke out of the hold, grabbed the pony by the hooves, and slammed them sideways into the ground.

“Oo-oh-oh!” The third pony wailed, clutching his bruised shoulder.

“Lauren, whoever hired you pansies are so not getting their money’s worth.” Fury shook his head.

“Oh yeah?! I'll give you 'money's worth'!" The second pony charged angrily at Fury.

Unimpressed, Fury grabbed the pony mid-charge and flung him across the clearing, resulting in a very undignified crash into the dirt.

"Don't suppose you've got change." Fury mocked him.

Black on the other hoof, stood firm as his foe attacked him, but due to his armor, the poor pony was only hurting his hooves each time he punched his armor.

“Gah… what the frick is this thing made of?!” The head pony groaned, clutching his bruised hooves.

“I don’t really know.” Black admitted, “But by the way this fight is going, you’re better off giving up.”

“I’ll show you!” The head pony snarled, as he pulled out his crossbow… and begin swinging it, hitting Black on the head.

“Huh?!” Black stumbled back a bit. It didn’t hurt, but it caught him by surprise, “Why are you swinging a weapon you can shoot?”

"N-none of your business, that's why!" The first pony snarled defensively, swinging the crossbow once more, as Black stepped back, “Besides, bolts would be wasted on you!”

“True…” Black conceded. The enemy swung again… only for Black to catch it with one hoof, “But perhaps I could make better use of it!”

Without any effort, Black pulled the weapon out of his opponent’s hooves, and aimed it back at him..

“Whoa now, let’s not do anything crazy.” The first pony held up his hooves in horror.

“Well, it’s a little late for that now, isn’t it?” Black scoffed, “Let me show you how to really use a cross-”

Something caught Black’s eyes as he glanced down at the crossbow. Something was missing…

“Hold on…” He glanced at the terrified head pony, then quickly turned to his comrade, “Fury, wait!”

Back on the other side, Fury was holding one pony overhead, the one with the third voice, about to perform a backbreaker, with the second voiced pony struggling to get up nearby.

"What?!" He gaped, both surprised and annoyed at being told to stop.

“AUUUGH!” The third voiced pony screamed in his grasp.

"These guys are not who they seem!" Black announced.

"Whattaya mean?" Fury frowned, still holding the pony aloft, who was still screaming.

"Check the other two's crossbows." Black instructed, “You’ll see.”

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Fury dropped the screaming pony, making sure he missed his knee. After waiting for him to cowardly clamber to his hooves, he faced both him and the remaining assailant, who just got back up.

"You heard the stallion." He glared. "Fork 'em over. And no funny business."

The two complied, the second voiced reluctantly, while the third one just about threw it at him, not wanting to go near him. Once in his talons, Fury glanced at booth crossbows… and was understandably surprised.

“What the- they’re not loaded!” Fury gaped.

“Exactly.” Black nodded, “Neither was this guy’s.” He pointed to his foe.

“Okay, what the flap is going on here?” Fury demanded, “Forget how crappy of a fight you gave us, why the hell would you ambush two highly-trained agents with unloaded crossbows?!”

“Highly-trained… wait…” The first pony lit up in shock, “So… you guys… aren’t security guards?”

"What? No!" Black frowned. "We're RDL agents!"

"RDL?!" The second gaped. "Ah, frick!" He said angrily, followed by a glare at the first pony. "I told you that carriage looked too fancy to have the patient!"

"Patient?" Fury repeated. "You mean the one coming from Brightdale? You guys were waiting for them?"

"Nice going, numbskull." The first pony glared at the second one.

"L-look, sir. This is all a big misunderstanding." The third pony trembled. "We didn't know you were RDL! We wouldn't have attacked you if you were."

"But you were more than ready to attack an actual medical transport." Black pointed out.

"Well, y-you see..." The third pony, realizing how that sounded, started to panic.

"We weren't looking to kill or anything." The first pony insisted. "See our crossbows? We were just told to wait here and ambush a carriage carrying this patient, while roughing up the detail! And then we’d take the patient away!"

"Oh, Faust, you're making it worse!" The second pony cringed.

“And who exactly put you up to this? The Forefathers?!” Fury demanded.

"What?!" The third pony gulped. "W-we're not- we're just construction workers trying to make a quick buck!"

"Oh great!" The second pony groaned. He rounded on the first. "They think we're the terrorists from the news!"

"And whose fault is that?" The first pony growled.

"Yours!" The second pony yelled. "You're the one who came to us, asking us to help you with a ‘job’, promising a big payday!”

“Hey, I was told to expect this skinny doctor and this fat-ass security officer.” The head pony defended himself. “Not two buckin’ military officers!”

"Excuses, excuses." The second sneered. "Why can't you just admit you messed up?"

"Why can't you just shut up?" The first pony yelled.

"You shut up!" The second fired back.

"You!" The first retorted.

"I never wanted to be part of this in the first place!" The third pony wept. "Now we're all gonna rot in jail!"

Fury and Black glanced at each other, utterly befuddled by the situation.

“Well, this just went from shady to just plain weird.” Fury deadpanned.

“You got that right.” Black grimaced, as he then stepped forth, “Okay, listen up you three.” The three ponies went silence, “We just came here to get information. The patient and the carriage you were actually waiting for were attacked days earlier.” The three ponies gasped in surprise, “We came here because the manifest said this place was it’s destination… but why would they be bringing a patient to an unfinished hospital? Is there anything you three could clear up as to what’s going on around here?”

“Well, I-” The third pony began.

"Look, we ain't saying another word until we hear from our lawyer." The second pony shook his head.

“Okay, be that way.” Black grunted, “Fury?”

“Way ahead of you.” Fury’s eyes wisped, as spears materialized, pointing at the three, “If you three ain’t gonna talk, we’ll just have to haul your sorry flanks back to Quanticolt. Once there, you'll get to talk to your precious lawyer all you want. You’re gonna need one for attacking two RDL agents and conspiracy to kidnap a pony!"

"Oh, I knew it!" The third pony groaned. "Jail!"

"Oh, shut up." The first pony admonished his comrade. "It's federal custody. Totally different thing."

"Like that's so much better." The second scoffed.

"Knock it off." Black groaned. "We've got better things to do than listen to you three argue."

"Yeah, like save Equestria." Fury added.

The two lead their assailants over to the carriage, hoping that they could get information from them, thus ensuring their trip wouldn't turn out to be a complete dead end.

Back in Canterlot, the badminton games had been finished, and Nyx was now following her friends to Miracle's room, for a new game.

"You did pretty good for a first try, Nyx." Hurricane admitted.

"Big deal." Vito scoffed. "You hit a feathery thing with a bat. It's not exactly ancient magic..."

"Still, quite impressive." Pureblood noted.

"Thanks, guys." Nyx grinned.

"Let's see if you can catch on to our next game just as fast." Miracle declared.

"I sure hope so." Nyx nodded.

The group zig-zagged through the castle corridors, taking many turns and corners. Nyx was so focused on following her friends. that she didn't notice where she was going, and as a consequence, she bumped into a Pegasus servant, knocking the scroll he was carrying out of his wing.

"Oops!" Nyx cringed. "Sorry! Let me get that for you..."

Using her magic, Nyx lifted the scroll off the ground, and back into the servant's wing.

"Thank you, young filly." The servant nodded, an odd look in his eyes.

"Again, I'm sorry I bumped into you." Nyx apologised.

"Think nothing of it." The servant smiled kindly.

"Come on, Nyx!" Hurricane called. "Fun waits for no pony!"

"Coming!" Nyx smiled, following her friends.

Once Nyx disappeared from sight, the servant dropped his smile. After making sure there was nopony watching, he sidled into a storeroom, and extracted a mirror from his pocket. Following a quick double-check that he was alone, he activated the mirror…

Meanwhile, in his office, located in the headquarters of the company he inherited, Dysley was sifting through note cards, reading out a speech to the family of the victims of Brightdale.

"'Ladies and gentlestallions, I come to you today with a heavy heart, and many tears in my eyes'..." He read aloud. "...Okay, that 'tears' part seems like a bit much..." He kept reading. "'Our employees are like family to us, so this tragedy hurts me as much as it does me'... Piling on the mush a little there..."

At that point, the mirror on his desk started buzzing.

"Oh, what now?" He groaned.

He picked up and activated it… revealing the face of the pony from the park. "This had better be good. I’m in the middle of writing a speech."

“Well, it depends, sir.” The stallion answered, “I was doing what you told me to and keeping tabs on our enemies’s search for the subject… and well, I found Doc.”

"You don't say." Dysley crooned, as his scowl gave way to a smirk.

“Yes. To be honest, I didn’t believe it when you mentioned that the Doc himself has gone rogue… but here he was, working with those RDL goons to find the patient. That one guy that Briar and the others failed to kill was there too.”

“Figures. No doubt the Doc is working them all to the bone to find the subject.” Dysley huffed.

“Well, either way, it looks like Doc, that other doctor, and the traitor had split up away from those two RDL yutzs.” The trench-coated pony mused. He held up a crossbow, “Shall I take care of them?”

“I don’t think that would be a wise course of action.” Dysley shook his head.

“But sir, two of them are traitors, and one of them is-” The trench coat pony protested.

“And what exactly can you do to them?” Dysley challenged, “The two doctors I cannot speak for, but Sterling is one of the best agents the Forefathers had. I’m sure you’ve heard about what transpired on that Alpacian island not too long ago?”

"Well, yes." The trenchcoat pony nodded. "But I must stress the severity of the situation. It's just too risky to let them roam free-"

The mirror to shake again.

“Dammit. I’m gonna have to call you back. There’s another pony on the line.” Dysley growled as he tapped the mirror, revealing the servant Nyx has bumped into. “What is it?”

“Pinion reporting, sir.” The servant announced, “You called me earlier about wanting to check on something out of the ordinary around the castle?”

“Yes, I recall.” Dysley frowned, “What of it? You got something for me or did you seriously waste my time just to remind me?”

“Quite the opposite actually. It seems you were right, sir.” Pinion declared, “There’s a filly with a jet black coat, purple mane, and teal eyes… doesn’t that match the description of the filly you have others looking for?”

“Indeed it does.” Dysley sighed, his fears confirmed, “So she’s at the castle, right now?”

“That is correct. From what I understand, she was brought here yesterday by the royal children.” Pinion explained.

“...So they brought a random filly from right off the streets… into their home.” Dysley deadpanned.

“...Yeah, hearing that aloud, that sounds like a stupid thing for anypony to do.” Pinion admitted, “But it seems like she’s getting on well with the others.”

“Well, how long you reckon that will last?” Dysley frowned.

“What do you mean, is she a threat?” Pinion questioned.

“Potentially.” Dysley declared. “But that is all I can say on the matter.”

“Well, if that is the case, perhaps I should extract her now and bring her to you?” Pinion asked.

“No, no, that won’t be necessary. Besides, if you grab her now, you’ll risk blowing your cover.” Dysley shook his head, “You are no doubt aware of the party the royals are throwing?"

"Am I ever." Pinion groaned. "Myself and the others have been preparing for it all week."

"Well, it just so happens that I have been invited to that very party." Dysley revealed. "I'll use that as a cover to take the filly myself. I can go in, apprehend her, and depart, all without raising any suspicions. Brilliant, no?"

"Brilliant, yes, sir." Pinion nodded, “...But what about the RDL? What if they come here before then?”

“You let me worry about that.” Dysley instructed, “In the meantime, keep an eye on that filly. Do not confront her at all unless she tries to slip away again. Do I make myself clear?”

"Yes, sir." Pinion said obediently. "Pinion out, sir."

Seconds after Pinion's image vanished from the mirror, Dysley returned to the trenchcoat pony.

“Is everything alright, sir?” The trenchcoat pony asked.

“Actually, they are.” Dysley said firmly, “And it looks like I might actually need you to do something after all.”

“Oh? And what is that?” The pony asked.

“Well, I’ll explain in a bit… but let’s just say that come the end of tonight, my subject will be back where she belongs, and I will finally rid myself of the good Doc once and for all.” Dysley said grimly.