• Published 8th May 2019
  • 586 Views, 13 Comments

Fear of A Child - Bluecatcinema



A waking nightmare is on the horizon...

  • ...
4
 13
 586

Dead And Buried

The search party had moved on from the playground, and heading to the outskirts of Canterlot (having hung back a bit while Fletcher spoke with a coroner who took the body).

“So, Nabudis…” Sterling began, “Since the playground was a bust, do you have any more ideas as to where to start looking? Canterlot is a pretty big city, you know. Lots of nooks and crannies to hide in. Even with Fletch’s search patterns, we’re going to be looking for days, maybe weeks.”

“Well, we’d be further along if we didn’t have to wait on the captain when he spoke to that coroner that arrived to pick up that filth’s corpse.” Nabudis glared at Fletcher, “Remind me again the point of that waste of time?”

“Look, Silver here had some concerns regarding the circumstances of the pony’s demise.” Fletcher explained simply, “Regardless of his nefarious background, it’d make us no better to just ignore a potential murder of a pony.”

“That’s all well and good, but you already tasked with helping us find the patient.” Nabudis grumbled, “Besides, you and that coroner were talking for a good bit. Care to explain what you were discussing?”

“I was just informing him to contact one of our fellow staff at the RDL Headquarters. A doctor of our own.” Fletcher said firmly, not liking his attitude, “With his additional examination, if we’re lucky, it’ll turn out to be nothing and we’ll deal with it after we find the patient.”

“Very well.” Nabudis huffed, “Let’s just hope this little diversion of yours didn’t give Fievel’s attackers more of a head start.”

“Eesh, it’s rush, rush, rush with you.” Caboose grimaced, “Haven’t anypony ever told you that a rushed plot is forever bad?”

“...I don’t think anyone ever said that.” Survival grimaced.

“Well, my point still stands.” Caboose pouted.

“Look, can we just go?” Nabudis said gruffly, “Knowing our patient, she will most likely stick to the alleyways and back streets. So we should start the captain’s ‘search pattern’ or whatever you called it there. Come on, Fievel.”

“Um, yes, sir.” Survival nodded as he went after Nabudis as they went ahead.

“Are you sure it will be nothing, Sterling?” Caboose turned to Sterling, unsure.

“I don’t like our chances, but I like to be optimistic…” Sterling grimaced.

“Well, the coroner and Triage’s examinations should tell us in due time.” Fletcher nodded, “In the meantime, we should focus on finding the girl.”

"Sounds like a plan." Caboose nodded. "Let's hope Black and Fury are doing just as well as us. Hint, hint..."

Elsewhere, Black and Fury were making their way to the Brightdale mental hospital in the automated carriage, in hopes of finding some leads regarding the wayward patient and the attack on the carriage.

"Hope you're not afraid of hospitals, pal." Fury joked.

"Not a chance." Black smirked. "Let's just hope the doctors here are more like Triage."

"Something tells me we might not be so lucky." Fury said skeptically. "Not in a place like this..."

“...So, you mentioned Brightdale being some big pharma company.” Black mused. “Any idea about who runs the place?”

“Well, if memory serves, the CEO of the company is a stallion by the name of Dysley.” Fury recalled.

“...Wait, did you say Dysley?” Black paused, his eyes alight with shock, “That can’t be right. He’s dead. I’m the guy who made it happen!”

“Easy there, Black.” Fury rolled his eyes, “You’re thinking of Sacred Dysley. The guy who owned the place before you dropped a ceiling on him.”

“More like I shot his hoof who then fired the ceiling with that staff thing.” Black corrected, a bit bitter over the events.

“Yeah, well, the company as of now is being ran by Secretariat Dysley, his son.” Fury explained.

"What...Dysley had a son?" Black murmured.

“That’s right.” Fury nodded, "Born not long before... y'know."

“...Oh, buck.” Black grimaced, face alight with guilt, “Dysley was a piece of work… but I didn’t think he actually had a kid… and that kid had to grow up without a father because-”

“Come on, don’t start that woeful crap.” Fury countered firmly, “The kid seems to have done just fine without daddy in his life. He's this big time pharmaceutical giant, with a whole bunch of companies and hospitals under his belt. He got it good.”

“Yeah, I guess…” Black murmured, before his eyes narrow, “You don’t think he might have followed in his dad’s footsteps and became a Forefather?”

“Well, I heard nothing to say he is or not.” Fury shrugged, “Then again, no one really knew that Gridlock and the others were involved with the Forefathers besides us.”

“And with how affluent he is, I doubt we can just ask him.” Black deadpanned, “Still, with the fact that our patient was from one of his hospitals, we might have to consider that he’s involved somehow.”

“Good thing we already heading there then.” Fury chuckled, “If those medical dramas taught me anything, hospitals are always abuzz with gossip and rumors.”

“You watch medical dramas?” Black snorted.

"Oh, yeah." Fury nodded. "You'd be surprised how well-written those things are."

"Maybe I'll check one out sometime." Sterling mused.

"You'd be welcome to join me me in the lounge next time St. Elsewhen's on." Fury smiled.

"Thanks." Black grinned. "Just one more reason to end this as quickly as possible..."

Over in Canterlot, Nyx found herself being led through the streets by her new friends.

The five young ponies walked up Restaurant Row, stopping at The Tasty Treat. As they entered, Nyx picked up the scent of the food on the air.

"This smells... different." She declared. "I don't think I've ever had food like this before."

"Trust me, you're in for a real treat." Pureblood smiled.

"Just like the sign promised." Hurricane grinned.

A middle-aged mare approached him, possessed of an orange coat and purple mane (with a few gray hairs).

"Hello, I'm Saffron Masala." The mare smiled. "Welcome to The Tasty Treat. What would you like?"

"We'll have the mild curry and rice dish, vegetable simosas, and a round of milk, thank you." Miracle declared, passing the necessary amounts of Bits to Saffron.

"An excellent choice." Saffron smiled.

As Saffron made her way to the kitchen, the kids were led by one of the waiters to a free table.

"Mmm, I can't wait for those samosas." Hurricane smiled.

"Are they really that good?" Nyx asked.

"They sure are." Miracle nodded.

"What kind of food are you used to eating?" Pureblood asked.

"Oh... nothing fancy." Nyx shrugged. "Just normal, bland stuff. Kind of like hospital food..."

“Hospital food?” Vito frowned, “How oddly specific.”

"Lay off, V." Pureblood scolded his brother. "Not everypony can afford the best food in Equestria, you know."

"Yeah, yeah..." Vito scowled.

Soon, the food arrived. While the others dug in heartily, Nyx eyed it apprehensively.

"Come on, Nyx, try some." Miracle urged. "It's good."

Nyx's stomach growled once again.

"Okay, I'll try a little bite." She picked up a samosa, and took a bite. After a couple of chews, she found that it was quite tasty. "Hey, this is pretty good!"

"Told ya." Miracle grinned.

After finishing the samosa, Nyx tried some of the curry. While mild, it was still more flavorful than anything she'd eaten over the last few days (and certainly tastier than the scraps she'd scavenged).

"Mmm..." She smiled. "This is fantastic! I can't believe I've gone my whole life without trying some before!"

"Yeah, that's how I felt the first time I ate here." Pureblood declared. "Right, V?"

"Uh-huh." Vito shrugged, still wary of Nyx.

"Wait 'til you try the curried oatcake." Hurricane grinned. "It's a little spicy, but really tasty. Like samba music."

"Maybe I'll try that next time." Nyx mused. "Not really used to spicy food. I'd hate to ruin a good meal.."

"Good thinking." Miracle nodded. "Work your way up to the hotter stuff. For now, we can all enjoy what we have right here."

"I'll drink to that!" Hurricane drank her milk.

The five eagerly dug into the rest of their food, but none more so than Nyx, who was grateful to finally have a chance to silence the rumbling in her stomach.

Meanwhile, Fletcher and Caboose's group were looking through one of Canterlot's alleyways (namely the one Nyx was in earlier).

"No trace of her so far." Nabudis noted.

"We should keep looking." Survival urged. "Our target would have to be pretty hungry as such a busy day. And without money, she'd have no choice but to scavenge for food."

"A solid hypothesis." Fletcher nodded. "Unfortunately, not one that has born success so far."

"Sifting through garbage wasn't really how I saw my day progressing..." Sterling frowned.

Suddenly, a dumpster opened up, revealing Caboose.

“Well, she ain’t in here.” Caboose climbing out.

“We got nothing either.” Fletcher sighed.

“Us too.” Survival frowned, as he came back with Nabudis.

“How many alleyways does that make?” Sterling asked.

"Nine." Nabudis scowled, a clear element of frustration in his voice.

“Maybe it would help if we knew the patient’s name.” Sterling frowned, “It’s kinda weird trying to find someone when we don’t know whose name to call.”

“I’m afraid that’s one thing I won’t share.” Nabudis huffed, “I already shared enough. Even then, if we go around calling her name, ponies will hear, and before we know it, everypony in Canterlot will be looking for her. Like I said for the umpteenth time: no one is to know about her!”

“Relax, Nabudis.” Survival soothed, “They’re just trying to help us.”

"So far, their 'help' has amounted to very little." Nabudis said bluntly.

"We can hear you, you know." Sterling scowled.

"Yes, I know." Nabudis said haughtily.

"Let's not descend into petty bickering." Sterling sighed. "We really should just continue onwards."

Suddenly, a mirror in Sterling’s pocket began to buzz.

“Ugh, what now?” Nabudis growled.

“It’s a call from HQ.” Sterling pulled out the mirror, “Me and the guys have to take this. How about you and Survival go on ahead. We’ll be with you in a bit.”

"Gladly." Nabudis walked off, annoyed at another interruption.

"Right behind you." Survival joined him. "Wherever you're going…" He added, suspicion in his voice.

Soon as they were out of earshot, Sterling shared glances with Fletcher and Caboose.

“It seems Triage might have some news regarding the dead child abuser.” Fletcher noted.

“Or maybe he just wants to say ‘hi’.” Caboose suggested.

“Somehow, I doubt that.” Sterling frowned, tapping the mirror, revealing the face of Triage.

“Ah, hello there...” Triage smirked for a moment… before frowning, “...you…”

“Sterling.” Sterling added.

“Right, Sterling!” Triage sheepishly rubbed his head, “Sorry. I guess we hadn’t really talked much since you first joined.”

“Considering you weren’t in the last story at all, I’m surprised you know any of us.” Caboose pondered.

“Huh, Master Mind wasn’t kidding. You really do not make sense at times.” Triage deadpanned.

“Let’s get back on topic.” Fletcher announced, “I take it you have finished your examination of the park’s body already?”

“Oh, yes.” Triage grimaced, “The stallion's name was Wily Weasel. He had a record of theft, assault, and many other indiscretions I’d say what happened to him was far too good a fate.”

“What did happen to him?” Caboose asked, “For a dead body, he looked perfectly fine.”

“Well, there’s the kicker.” Triage declared, “I looked over the report, and it says that there were no signs of physical wounds, least of all any fatal ones. No internal injuries or trauma. And no traces of any known poisons were detected.”

“So it was natural causes?” Fletcher suggested.

“That would be the next logical conclusion.” Triage mused, “But no. I looked over Weasel's medical history. Despite having less than stellar dietary habits, and a little dabble in some diamond dust, he was fine healthwise… which doesn’t make sense considering the neurological examination...”

“Neuro-what now?” Caboose raised a brow.

“Examination of the brain, Caboose.” Triage explained, “From what I can tell, death was caused by some kind of massive stress-related aneurysm in his brain, which lead to a cardiac arrest, and an immediate cease of all vital functions… but that’s not the strangest part…”

“Oh?” Sterling frowned.

“According to the charts… Weasel was ‘asleep’ when all of that occurred.” Triage revealed.

“Asleep? In the middle of the day?” Caboose blanched.

“Yes. And from the way the body was found, he wasn’t napping.” Triage mused, “From the way his brain activity wavers, he was put to sleep by something, right before the aneurysm and cardiac arrest occurred. Personally speaking, from the look in his eyes, it seems like he died in the midst of a really bad dream…”

Triage glanced at Sterling, noting the dread in his eyes.

“But something tells me you already knew that.” Triage declared.

“Sterling?” Fletcher turned to him, “What is it?”

“It’s… it’s something I remember when I first saw the body…” Sterling began, “A few months ago, back before Titanfall happened, back at Infinity… I was reading the papers when I came across this odd story...There was this pony, Cirrus, a mailroom assistant from a medical insurance company, who died in his sleep. He was young, had no medical problems, and there were no signs of foul play… all he had was this of terror on his face. Like he was scared to death…”

“Oh, yeah, I think I recall that story.” Triage mused, “Ballista and I were talking about it. It was rather tragic, for someone to suddenly die like that…”

“...Wait… are you pertaining to those ‘mysterious deaths’ that have been occurring over the past few months?” Fletcher gasped.

“The very same.” Sterling nodded glumly.

“‘Mysterious deaths’? Whatcha talking about?” Caboose frowned in confusion.

“Over the last few months, there have been scattered reports of creatures suddenly dying in their sleep.” Sterling explained, “The stories were almost the same: they were all healthy. No physical damages. And all of them had looks of horror.”

“That’s right.” Fletcher grimaced, “Last one that happened was to a treasurer of a nearby pharmaceutical company. That was about three weeks ago.”

“Bringing the count up to seven.” Sterling added.

“That’s sad and all… but what exactly does that have to do with what we’re doing right now?” Caboose raised a brow.

“I’m actually curious, myself.” Fletcher frowned, “Why now are you bringing this up?”

“Well… what if it was the patient who did this to the scumbag?” Sterling suggested.

“...Are you saying we might be going after Michael Briers?” Caboose gasped.

“Caboose, that’s not what he’s saying… is it?” Fletcher glanced at Sterling.

“Think about it.” Sterling crossed his hooves, “Nabudis did say that the patient’s powers could be fatal if we upset her. And she would had been a prime target for our dead scumbag. Maybe he tried to pull something… and it got him killed.”

“Sterling, this is a child.” Fletcher frowned, “You don’t actually believe that someone so young would kill another pony, just like that, do you?”

“Why else would Nabudis be so gung-ho about keeping her a secret?” Sterling questioned.

"Maybe she's really his long-lost niece?" Caboose suggested.

"That's... One possibility." Triage replied, bewildered.

“Look… you should have seen the look on Nabudis’s face when we saw the body.” Sterling shook his head, “He looked mortified… but in a way like he might have seen it before… and perhaps he had… with the other seven.”

“Let me stop you there.” Fletcher said firmly, “We don’t know what truly happened to Weasel. Or any of the others. Even if the patient was responsible for that stallion’s death somehow, she was in a mental hospital for the other seven when they died.”

“So they say.” Sterling frowned in suspicion, “You’ve seen how tight-lipped Nabudis have been about the patient. There’s no telling what else he might be hiding…”

“...I won’t lie, Sterling, you might have a point there.” Fletcher admitted, “...But even then, all it is is speculation, and until we can prove otherwise, there’s not much we can do at this point.”

“Well, maybe not you guys, but if you give me some more time, I can look further into these cases.” Triage declared, “Maybe there’s something they might have missed.”

“Very well. Keep us posted of any further developments.” Fletcher declared.

"Will do." Triage nodded, his face disappearing from the mirror.

"Well, this just gets stranger and stranger." Sterling mused.

"Yeah." Caboose agreed. "All this talk about creatures dying in their bad dreams... Is that filly related to Freddy Kanter, or something?"

’...Dreams… bad dreams…’ Sterling mused silently, before lighting up, ’Wait… Project: Bad Dreams. That was Dysley and Doc’s project… Dysley may be gone… but his son is not. Maybe he can give me some answers…”

"We'd better catch up with Nabudis and Survival.” Fletcher began, “Regardless of who the patient might be, we need to find her before the Forefathers do.”

"Hopefully, without dying an 80s horror movie death in the process." Caboose added.

"You guys do that." Sterling said suddenly. "I just thought of a possible lead for this little situation."

"Really? Who?" Caboose asked.

"Nopony you guys know." Sterling replied. "Besides, it might just be nothing. Hate to say the name, then get embarrassed if it turns out to be nothing."

"Very well, then." Fletcher nodded, recognizing the nostalgic look on Sterling's face. "You see who you need to see, and we'll reconvene later."

"Sounds like a plan." Sterling smiled. "See you guys soon."

"Bye!" Caboose waved as Sterling departed, “Who you think he’s going to talk to?”

“I don’t know… but I can only hope it help us find this wayward subject.” Fletcher frowned

"Well, I'm pretty good at playing hide and seek with kids." Caboose noted. "So I'm feeling pretty confident about this myself."

"That makes one of us, I suppose..." Fletcher smiled.

Meanwhile, Nabudis and Survival were sharing a discussion.

"This is getting us nowhere." Nabudis scowled. "While they chat, our patient is surely getting further and further out of our grasp."

"I just thought of something." Survival declared, concern in his voice. "How's it’s going to look when Brightdale find out we lost the patient on my watch. Not to mention everypony on that assignment but me is now dead..."

"Calm yourself, old friend." Nabudis told him. "I'm sure that things will be fine, at least in that respect."

"You really think so?" Survival asked hopefully.

"Of course." Nabudis nodded. "You couldn't help being attacked by those malcontents. And while it's natural to feel survivor's guilt, you have to accept that there was nothing you could have done to save the others."

"That doesn't make it right that I managed to survive, and they didn't." Survival sighed. "I feel like I owe them..."

"Then we must find the patient, and keep her from those who tried to take her." Nabudis urged. "That is the best way to honor their memories."

"...Thanks, Nabudis." Survival smiled. "I needed that."

"Anytime." Nabudis smiled.

At that point, Fletcher and Caboose joined back up with them.

"Thank you for waiting." Fletcher said curtly.

"We're ready to tag back in." Caboose added.

"Great." Survival smiled. "Let's get going."

"Wait." Nabudis frowned. "What happened to that ‘Silver’ fellow?"

"He discovered a new lead to follow up." Fletcher announced. "He'll catch up with us later."

"Until then, we're back to being a pair of pairs." Caboose grinned. "Just like a good hoof in poker."

"Then let's not waste any more time." Nabudis urged. "Back to the search..."

As the group departed, Fievel's thoughts fell upon his colleagues at the hospital.

'I hope they're not too worried about us.' He thought. If luck is on our side, we'll see them soon...'

Elsewhere, Black and Fury, after a long drive, had finally arrived at the Brightdale mental hospital, the place from which the patient had originated from. It was an old, foreboding-looking building, situated outside of a forest, overlooking a cliff. A flash of lightning would complete the setting, one would say.

"...Nice place.” Black deadpanned, as they got out of the carriage, “Looks like the perfect place for patients to recuperate."

"I've seen worse." Fury shrugged. "Let's hope the staff aren't as bad as the place looks..."

The two approached the front gate, and saw that it was shut.

“Well, at least they have security.” Black snarked.

“Oh, yes. A big iron gate.” Fury scoffed, as he glanced around, “Say… shouldn’t there be a security guy or something manning this thing?”

“Well, I don’t see anypony.” Black peeked through the gates, seeing nothing but a spacious courtyard, “...In fact, I don’t see anything. Shouldn’t there be carriages going in and out this place?”

“Yeah, you’re right.” Fury frowned, as he then noticed an intercom system, “Hey, maybe someone can let us in.”

“We’ll see.” Black declared, as he hit the button, “Hello? This is RDL agents Dreadnaught and Fury Xaldin. We are here on RDL business. Could you let us in?”

“Dreadnaught? Where did that name come from?” Fury grimaced, as Black let go of the button.

“It’s the armor.” Black gestured his armor, “The others suggested that I give myself a codename when I’m out so ponies have something to call me rather than that ‘guy in the armor’."

"Seriously?" Fury snorted. "What, do they think we're in a comic book, or somethin'?"

"As long as it works, I'm not complaining." Black shrugged.

After a few moments, they realized that the gates were still shut.

"What's with the hold-up?" Fury scowled, a bit annoyed. He banged on the gates with a curled talon. "Open up, already!"

As Fury barked at the intercom, Black glanced at the hospital. As he looked over the dreary place, his eyes caught a glimpse of one of the windows…

“What the…” Black squinted his eyes. Narrowing on the windows, he began to notice something was on it. His eyesight did not compare to that of Fury, but he could have sworn that it was some spatter of-

“Hey! Are you deaf?!” Fury snarled, getting irritated with the silent speaker, “Don’t make me come in-”

“Fury, something isn’t right here.” Black cut him off, dread in ihs voice, “We gotta get in there.”

"Done and done." Fury spread his wings. "No more being polite..."

Fury flew over the gate in one easy arc, while Black climbed over the nearby wall. Once they were both on the other side, they approached the main doors.

As Black cracked one of the doors open, they were beset by an awful scent.

"Ugh…” Black winced, as he sniffed it, “Buck, it’s blood.” He glanced at Fury, “You got my back?"

"I got your everything.” Fury materialized a spear, “Let’s go."

The two pulled both doors open and charged in… only to be greeted by a horrifying sight: the lobby was a complete bloodbath, with dead bodies scattered all over, crossbow bolts and knife wounds in many of them

"Holy hooves..." Black gaped.

"What the flap..." Fury whispered. "What happened here?"

“I… I don’t know.” Black’s eyes darted back and forth, unable to look away, “...Spread out. There might be survivors.”

“...Right.” Fury nodded weakly.

The two of them investigated the rest of the hospital, and found that things looked no better: there were dead bodies everywhere. All manner of staff members, from the doctors to nurses, and even janitors, were scattered all over, in varying states of mutilation.

As Black glanced inside some of the patients’ rooms, he came to realize they weren’t spared either, as they'd suffered the same crossbow and knife wounds as the others. Some of them were still in their beds, a single bolt lodged in their head.

Black, who was no stranger to the horrors of war, found himself struggling to keep it together - and keep his lunch.

"Keep it together, Black." He whispered to himself. "There still might be survivors. Don't give up hope yet..."

As he kept searching, Black found an elevator.

"Here we go." He smiled. "Maybe somepony hid in there."

Black pried open the doors, hoping to find survivors. But when he looked in… all he saw was a munch of mangled bodies, both doctor and patient alike, shot to shreds by bolts. The sight was so awful that Black couldn’t bear to look any longer.

"Oh, Faust…” Black cringed, as he felt his stomach churned, “Oh, Faust…”

Spotting a nearby trash can, he ran over to it, and tapped the side of his helm. The visor and helm just barely got out of the way in time, as Black vomited into the can.

"Hurrgh!” Black hurled, coughing as the bile left his mouth. He gripped the can to keep himself steady, “Ugh… Faust… how… how can they…"

Fury made his way through another part of the hospital, faring no better than Black, as all he saw were more dead bodies. The griffon only looked on in sadness, only feeling a twinge in his stomach.

"Dammit… these poor ponies…” Fury whispered, “All they wanted to do was help ponies get better… and all they got was a killing squad…"

Shaking his head, Fury soon came across a place of interest: a records room, with the door torn off its’ hinges

Holding his spear tightly, Fury peeked in, glancing around. There were maimed corpses as with everywhere else, but there were a plethora of filing cabinets, all of them been opened (some forcefully), with paper strewn across the floor. It was as if they were looking for something.

He gingerly stepped around the bodies, and reached into one of the cabinets, glancing at the files...

"Looks like murder wasn't the only thing on the agenda." Fury whispered.

Soon after, the two reconvened down in the lobby. Fury noted the ashened look on Black’s face as they met up.

“It was that bad, huh?” Fury asked.

“Yeah…” Black shook his head, “Not a living soul anywhere.”

“Same here…” Fury nodded sadly, “But I did find the records room. The file cabinets were all a big mess. I couldn’t make heads or tails, but either they were ransacking to cover their tracks… or they took a file or something.”

“Then why did they…” Black frowned.

“The old ‘scorched earth’ routine.” Fury said grimly, glancing around, “I’d say somecreature wanted them all to keep quiet.”

“But I don’t think any of them even knew about the patient.” Black shook his head.

“You think that matters to them?” Fury huffed.

“Faust damn… Elite told me about the Forefathers had done things to keep their deeds and themselves hidden…” Black murmured, as he looked at the body of a particularly young doctor, “But I didn’t actually think they would do something so awful.”

“Just makes me wonder just who this patient is.” Fury growled, “What is so special about them that they would go to this much effort to keep her hidden.”

“I don’t know… I just want to get out of here.” Black grimaced.

“Same here.” Fury declared, “The sooner we get away from this house of death, the better.”

“Right… and whoever did this will pay for this.” Black said fiercely, as they departed the dead place, the only thing keeping their spirits up being the thought of preventing further bloodshed.

Back in Canterlot, the five youths departed from the restaurant. Nyx was deeply satisfied, her stomach full for the first time in days.

"That was amazing." Nyx smiled. "Thank you all for bringing me here."

"Don't mention it." Miracle smiled. "That's what friends are for."

"And your tour of Canterlot is just getting started." Pureblood grinned.

"We're gonna show you all our favorite places." Hurricane promised. "Aren't we, V?"

"Sure we are." Vito rolled his eyes. "In fact, let's save mine for last."

"You're gonna have a great day, Nyx." Miracle declared. "I promise."

"I'm sure I will." Nyx beamed.

The group left Restaurant Row and went down a side street. Moments later, Fletcher's group appeared from the opposite direction, completely missing the kids.

"Ooh, there's Restaurant Row." Caboose smiled. "Can we stop and get some food?"

"As tempting as that sounds, we do still have a job to do." Fletcher refused politely.

"Besides which, I highly doubt our quarry will be sitting in a restaurant." Nabudis scoffed.

"I have to agree." Survival declared. "As something of a survivalist myself, I'd say it's much more likely for the patient to not be openly walking the streets, among other ponies, but hiding in the city's dark belly, alone and afraid."

"Which is why we need to find her before fear makes her harm anypony else." Fletcher added.

"Can't I least get something to go?" Caboose offered. "I can get something for all of us. My treat!"

"Okay, but make it quick." Fletcher nodded. "Can't search on an empty stomach, after all..."

"Sweet!" Caboose made a beeline for the nearest restaurant.

"Our quarry is here, somewhere." Nabudis said grimly. "We must locate her before she has a chance to slip away."

"And after we find here, maybe we can focus on who it was that killed our colleagues in an attempt to get to her." Survival added. "And whoever it was who sent them."

"Of course, Survival." Nabudis nodded. "But let focus on the most important aspect first. Whoever sent those fiends after her will pay for their crimes, wherever they are..."

Meanwhile, back at the Silver Stable, Dysley, Secretariat Dysley to be exact, was finishing up his lunch date with Luxury and Constell.

"I'm so glad we could see each other again so soon." Constell smiled.

"Me too." Luxury declared. "It's been nice catching up."

"I know." Dysley grinned. "I'd almost forgotten how great it is for us to spend time together. And getting to know your lovely wife is a wonderful bonus."

"Oh, you." Constell chuckled. "You know, Luxury and I are in charge of this year's charity dinner for the Royal Animal Preservation Society. Think you can make it?"

“Of course, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Dysley chuckled.

“Hey, we still have some free time before we have to get to the theatre. Maybe we can hang out some more, grab a drink down at Blue Blazes-” Luxury offered.

“‘Fraid I have to pass.” Dysley cut him off, “I have several appointments I can’t afford to push back today. But next time for sure.”

“Of course. See ya at the party.” Luxury smiled.

"I look forward to it." Dysley declared.

Luxury and Constell left the restaurant.

"That Secretariat is such a great guy." Constell noted. "I can see why you two are such good friends."

"Well, there's a little more to it then that." Luxury shrugged.

"Meaning?" Constell asked.

"Growing up as one of the richest kids in Canterlot isn't always easy." Luxury declared. "First, you have the false friends, who just want to hang out with you for the status, or to get you to buy them things. Then there were the resented; the ones who shun or even bully you for being so well off."

"That sounds awful." Constell cringed.

"I didn't have to worry about any of that with Secretariat." Luxury smiled. "He accepted me for who I was. He was always honest with me. And he always had my back, helped me stand up to the bullies and the haters. I couldn't have asked for a better friend."

"Wow." Constell beamed. "The more I hear about Secretariat, the more I like him."

"Yeah, he's a great guy." Luxury declared. "Anypony would be lucky to know him..."

As Dysley watched them leave, a waiter approached.

“Will there be anything else, sir?” The waiter asked.

“No thank you. I would like the bill, if you please.” Dysley shrugged.

"Right away, sir." The waiter nodded.

As the waiter departed to get the bill, Dysley simply sat at his table, sipping from his wine, taking in the background noise… suddenly, he heard someone taking a seat at the table beside his.

Dysley lifted his head up, giving a small smirk.

“...Ah, Sterling Cross.” Dysley remarked nonchalantly, “I was wondering when we’d be seeing each other again…”

Sterling was indeed sitting at the opposite table, still in his disguise.

“It has been a while, hasn’t it?” Sterling said curtly.

“I’m curious as to how you knew I’d be here.” Dylsey mused.

“Lucky guess.” Sterling deadpanned, “Reading some of the tabloids also helped.”

“Heh, didn’t think you were into those.” Dysley chuckled lightly, “You looked more like a comic book guy… minus all the weight, and the neckbeard.”

"Very funny." Sterling sneered. "So, how have you been?"

"Quite well, thank you." Dysley answered curtly. "Though I'm afraid life in the Forefathers has been quite hectic as of late. We lost Nalik, Gridlock, Harlhooves, Solomon… and of course you."

"The Forefathers didn't 'lose' me." Sterling sneered. "I left of my own accord."

"You betrayed us all." Dysley scowled. "You lowdown, backstabbing scum."

"You can talk." Sterling retorted. "All the dirty deeds you've been involved in. Wonder what your adoring public would think of all that."

"Like you would tell anypony what I've been up to, Mr. Fugitive." Dysley retorted. "I doubt I'd be seeing you if I was going to be arrested or something."

"No. There'll be time for that later." Sterling shook his head.

"I'm sure." Dysley gestured to the bottle. "Wine?"

"No thanks." Sterling said bluntly.

“Suit yourself.” Dysley shrugged as he poured himself another glass, “...So… do your new 'comrades' know you're here speaking with me?"

"They're aware for the most part." Sterling shrugged.

"Well, that says a lot about the level of trust between you all." Dysley sneered.

"It's better than what the Forefathers insist upon." Sterling retorted.

“I’m sure Loveless and Ricochet would love to hear that from you.” Dysley snarked.

“Leave them out of this. Only warning.” Sterling glared.

“Ooh, touchy, touchy.” Dysley grimaced, “I guess there’s some loyalty under all that doublecrossing after all.”

“Maybe. Just not to you.” Sterling scoffed.

“Charming.” Dysley deadpanned, “Since this obviously not a social visit, why don’t we cut to the chase, and tell me why you’re here?”

“Well, me and my comrades had recently caught wind of some Forefathers attacking a carriage transporting somepony. A medical carriage from one of your hospitals, no less.”

“What? You think I would send some guys to attack a transport under one of my subsidiaries and with my employees?” Dysley scoffed, “Why would I go to such troubles?”

“Doesn’t really matter what I think.” Sterling huffed, “What matters is three ponies, your ‘employees’ no less, are now dead. And a mental patient is on the loose.”

“Well, I suppose that’s whoever orchestrated that attack gets for picking agents out of the lower ranks.” Dysley sneered.

“Gonna play ignorant, huh?” Sterling sneered back, “That’s fine by me.”

“You still didn’t say why you’re here though.” Dysley frowned, “I doubt you came in here just to talk about some random attack.”

“Well, call it a trip down memory lane.” Sterling answered, “When I heard about this mental patient and how these ‘attackers’ were after her, it got me thinking. Thinking about all the projects the Forefathers were working on back in the day… one always stuck out to me.”

Dysley’s frown deepened.

“Project: Bad Dreams.” Sterling mused, as he glanced over at Dysley, “You know what that is, don’t you?”

“Of course… it was my father’s project.” Dysley murmured. His eyes showed great sadness, “Something he dedicated his life to… until those self-righteous scumbags dropped a ceiling on him. You know, the guys you’re now bud-buds with.”

“Trust me, I remember.” Sterling sighed, no more happy than he was.

“Thanks for bringing that up, by the by.” Dysley glared, “That project ruined my childhood. Robbed me of my father..."

“Yet here you are, picking up where your dad left off.” Sterling scoffed, “I know that Father had you take his place in heading Project: Bad Dreams.”

“Yes, out of respect for him and my own father. Not by choice.” Dysley scoffed, “Why are you bringing it up anyhow?”

“Well, surely you heard about those odd deaths in the papers over the past few months.” Sterling declared, “You know, those who died in their beds, ‘scared’ to death?”

“Ah, yes.” Dysley murmured, “Some of the victims were actually ponies I knew. Very tragic. Not to mention kinda scary. It’s like they died of fright from a very-”

“Bad dream?” Sterling finished knowingly, “...Well, that’s why I’m here…”

“...Sterling, you don’t really think I had anything to do with those deaths, do you?” Dysley grimaced.

“Well, you tell me. Your dad never really specify what his project was all about.” Sterling shook his head, “All I know was that it had something to do with those pieces that had Nightmare Moon’s essence… and that subject.”

“Subject?” Dysley raised a brow.

“Come on, like you don’t know.” Sterling scoffed, “For years, I kept hearing about this ‘subject’, a girl of some kind, keeping kept in the labs. Not once have I, let alone anypony else, have ever seen her. And considering Nightmare Moon was involved in this project, I have a sinking suspicion that maybe this ‘subject’ is responsible for those deaths.”

“Well, I wouldn’t know.” Dysley shook his head.

“And you expect me to believe that?” Sterling sneered.

“For your information, I kept my involvement to a minimum with the project.” Dysley huffed, “You think I’d be so foolish to go down the same road that cost my father his life, my mother a husband, and me a parent? Well, you’re wrong.”

“Well, forgive me if I have trouble believing that.” Sterling said skeptically.

“Then believe this: I don't know anything about those odd deaths." Dysley insisted.

“Then what about the patient three ponies got killed over?” Sterling pressed onwards, “What is so special about her? I heard she has powers that can kill a pony. Is she related to Project: Bad Dreams somehow?”

“I’m afraid I’m not privy to private matters within my companies, let alone some ‘special’ patient...” Dysley crossed his hooves… before pondering, “In fact, what makes you think she’s related at all?”

“Call it a hunch.” Sterling clenched his hooves, feeling frustrated.

“Well, I call it reaching.” Dysley declared, “If you ask me, you’re barking up the wrong tree.”

“Okay then, then how about Doc?” Sterling suggested.

Dysley went silent.

“I know that your father and Doc were real close.” Sterling frowned, “And I know that he felt awful about you growing up without a father. Loveless once told me that he has been looking out for you growing up. If you’re not going to talk, maybe you can direct me to him.”

“First off, why the hell would I help you? You betrayed this entire organization.” Dysley snarled, “Secondly, Doc and I aren't as close as you think we are. I barely even see him these days."

"Once again, I have trouble believing that." Sterling scoffed.

"It's the truth." Dysley insisted. "To be perfectly honest, Doc and I haven’t really been on speaking terms as of late. In fact… he’s been acting… off.”

“Off?” Sterling raised a brow, “Off how?”

“Well, he’s been distant. Aloof.” Dysley explained, “Secretive.”

“...That’s really not any different from how I remember him.” Sterling said dismissively.

"Oh, really?" Dysley narrowed his eyes. "And how close were you back then?"

"Close enough." Sterling said brusquely.

"Is that so?" Dysley smirked. "Now I'm the one who's having trouble believing."

"Sure you are." Sterling retorted.

"Speaking as somepony who's actually seen Doc in the recent months since your desertion...” Dysley declared as Sterling let out a huff, “Doc has been acting suspicious. He hasn’t been down to the Coils in forever. He has pretty much locked out all but a few ponies out of his lab, and his ‘subject’...” He grimaced, “I hesitate to say this… but I think Doc is planning something. Something awful.”

"Oh, sure, and you're totally innocent in all this." Sterling said skeptically.

“I am! I may be a Forefather, but I do care about the betterment of Equestria.” Dysley glared, “Which is more than can be said for Doc.”

“Horseapples.” Sterling snapped, “Doc is a lot of things. A loner, a weirdo, and a bit of a jerk, but he’s not some solo schemer, working behind the other Forefathers' backs. And believe it or not, he was one of the few guys I could rely on in the organization."

"You really think that, don't you?" Dysley snorted.

"I've known Doc a lot longer than you have, kid." Sterling reminded him.

"Did you even know Doc at all?" Dysley said suddenly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sterling frowned.

"Exactly what I said. I mean, for Faust's sake, have you even seen his face?" Dysley asked. "Know his name?"

Sterling paused for a moment, recognizing the truth in Dysley's words.

“Well, that isn’t important.” Sterling shook his head, “What is important is what he’s been up to. Maybe he could tell me what the hell is going on around here.”

"Ah, yes, the big question." Dysley mused. "Of which I do not know the answer. I wonder if anypony truly knows what's hidden behind that mask of his?"

“Look, I’m not going to play guessing games with you.” Sterling growled, “If you’re so worried about Doc, tell me where to find him, or at least give me a way to reach him.”

“And why pray tell would I do that?” Dysley grunted, “You forget, you’re one of the enemies now. I pretty much risking my neck here just talking to you.”

“Well, if you help us, we might be able to help you.” Sterling suggested, “I’m sure with enough convincing, they might take it easy on you, especially if you manage to help us put an end to whatever Project: Bad Dreams is.”

“...Tempting, but I think I’ll pass.” Dysley snorted, “I stand by what I said that I don’t know anything about Project: Bad Dreams, and I don’t know what the deal is with the patient, but if the Forefathers wants her, I would be wise to stay out of their way…”

“...Okay, be that way.” Sterling huffed, as he stood up, “Don’t say I didn’t give you an out.”

"Speaking of out, how about you depart this fine establishment, before you ruin its charming mystique?" Dysley snarked.

“Don’t think this is over.” Sterling casted a sideways glare, “We’ll be watching you, Dysley. I still believe you have a part in all this, and whatever it is, me and the others will stop you, and you’re going to wish you sang like a canary.”

Sterling made his way for the exit.

"By the way, he misses you." Dysley spoke up.

"Who?" Sterling stopped, glancing back at Dysley with curiosity.

"Loveless." Dysley said simply. "You really were like the son he never had… too bad you abandoned him..."

Sterling’s eyes narrowed, and his hooves clenched.

"...That is none of your business." He said bluntly.

With that, Sterling stomped out of the restaurant.

"Methinks I got under his skin just a tiny bit..." Dysley smirked, taking a triumphant sip from his glass… before the smirk faded, “...Still, this is going to complicate things even further…”

Outside, Sterling seethed over Dysley's words.

"Little punk." He muttered. "Got no right to even mention Loveless's name..." His scowl split into a cold sneer. "We'll see how long that smug attitude lasts. He's up to something. And I'm going to find out what..."