• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 2,354 Views, 166 Comments

We're in this Together - FlutterDash979797



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy discover balance, old-feelings, and the comfort of each other.

  • ...
2
 166
 2,354

I Care About You

No amount of preparation could prepare Rainbow Dash for the sight before her. She couldn’t train, couldn’t use her natural skills, couldn’t fly her way out of it. She readied her mental sword at the greatest challenge of her young life; why was she using her friend as a pillow and why was Fluttershy allowing it?

Tiny, innocent breaths strangled Rainbow’s ears before digging their way into her mind. Mountains of toughness, rough and tough attitude, and a love for all things athletic began to avalanche at the sight before her.

Fluttershy was adorable. Soft and cuddly. Tiny embers roasted inside her delicate figure. Cyan forelegs had gathered a great deal of Fluttershy’s warmth, allowing Dash to bear-hug the sleeping beauty.

Wait... Rainbow Dash spit out the sentiment. Snuggling? Really? This... is … so... not me!

Dash’s grip was loosened at a snail’s pace. Her first hoof gently scuffed the opposite side of the cloud bed, effectively freeing half her grip.

The athlete’s final challenge was nesting the the comfort of Fluttershy’s wing. Occasionally a breeze would ruffle the yellow feathers, tickling every nerve of Dash’s leg.

When the going gets tough, she triumphantly thought, the tough get going. Dash navigated her hoof through the forest of feathers. Every bit of her massive willpower was utilized to ignore the massive tickle sensations that sent thrills down her spine. A silent cheer was made as the tip of her hoof crossed the feathery finish line.

A yellow hoof swiped weakly at the escaping mare, not wanting to relinquish the warm body that had been pressed up the timid mare. A second hoof struck out, hooking Dash, forcing her into a brief struggle.

As the cyan mare slunk away, grateful for no further assaults upon her ego, she heard a soft cry. A glimpse displayed a heartbroken Fluttershy wrapping her hooves around her pillow as if caught in the hope that it would offer the same warmth that the retreating Rainbow Dash did.

“Sorry Flutters,” Dash whispered. “That’s just not me.”

Her wingspan awoke soon afterwards. The wings tingled with joy as fresh blood rushed through their muscles. Dash had always enjoyed mornings, particularly in the fact that it offered an opportunity to be ahead of everypony else. Her hooves fumbled through the small pantry in hopes of finding a suitable breakfast.

Two glasses were placed on the small table, followed by another pair of plates.She quickly dumped ice in the glasses and threw silverware next to the plates. Dash finished by pouring the glasses with water and placing several items on the table.

“Hey ‘Shy... time to get up...”

“Rainbow..? Dashie?-

Fluttershy scurried about, flailing her hooves like a wildpony.

“Rise and shine! I got breakfast ready!”

“What... what... what happened? Dashie?” Fluttershy struggled to find her consciousness.

“Come on! Let’s chow down on and get ready!”

“Okay Dash... what-” Fluttershy yawned. “What happened?”

“You are just a sleepyhead! Come on, we’re burning daylight!” Dash rested the kitchen table waiting for Fluttershy.

“Okay,” Fluttershy whispered.

She joined Dash at the table and reached for a glass of water. She shot water down her throat, eliminating all of the morning taste.

Both pegasus avoided the elephant in the room. They focused solely on their meals, occasionally letting loose a brief yawn.

“Okay...” Dash broke the silence. “We should get going.”

“Sounds good Dash...”

Dash opened the door and led her friend outside. Fluttershy moved slowly but surely, acting as a sort of shadow to Rainbow Dash.

They sped down the stairs at increasingly contrasted paces. There was more to the situation then both let on, however, neither had the strength to deal with it. The feelings of last night had become extinct.
“Hey... you okay?”

The question hit Fluttershy hard. She had wished Rainbow had put everything behind her.

“Yeah... same old Fluttershy. Don’t worry about me... I’m... I’m here for you Rainbow Dash.”

“Fluttershy I know that. You are forgetting something though,” Dash replied.

“What’s that Rainbow Dash?”

“I’m here for you too.”

A slow smile spread across the shy mares face. Of course she is.

“‘Shy? You there?”

“Well um...” Come on, just tell her. You can do it.

“Oh my gosh, look at that! Rainbow Dash!”

“Well if it isn’t Rainbow Dash and her little marefriend?”

Fluttershy cowered at the sight of a long-lost enemy. Dash stood proud over her friend, protecting her almost in a motherly manner.

The stallion began to close the distance between them. “You here to watch the Wonderbolt tryouts? Well, you’ll see me there. Glad you got company with you. It’s going to be rough watching me break all those records.”

“Lightning Flicker, I wished I would never see you again. It’s a shame I was wrong.” Rainbow Dash firmly scuffed her hooves against the ground in a threatening pose.

“And how is Fluttercry? You with Dashie now? Huh?”

“None of your business! Why don’t we settle this... Wonderbolt to colt?” Puffs of rage puffed out Rainbow’s nostrils.

“As much as I’d like to, I have plans. And I wouldn’t want to show up late. See you later girls.” The stallion pushed his way through the pair and climbed up the steps.

“Are you okay Fluttershy? I’d never thought we’d see that jerk again.” Dash lifted Fluttershy from her cowering position.

“Yeah. I’m okay. Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah Fluttershy?”

“I don’t want you to... I don’t think... please don’t get into a fight. I worry about you... I care about you.” Fluttershy cheeks rushed with blood.

“Thanks Fluttershy. I always want to make sure you are cool too. If he would ever be mean to you-” Her speech was cut by a raged hoof kicked the ground.

Fluttershy’s frowned at her futile attempt. Dash was either oblivious or apathetic to Fluttershy’s hints. She didn’t know which was worse. “Thank you Rainbow Dash. Just don’t fight him. You are a better pony than that.”

“Okay Fluttershy. I promise. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

“Thank you Rainbow Dash.”

“Now,” Dash said. “Let’s get to those tricks!”


“Double barrel roll! Triple twist! Check this one out!”

Dash repeated her same trick over and over again, never ceasing to amaze Fluttershy. Each trick required a massive amount of coordination between every feather on her wings. The aerial artist used her body as a paint brush; leaving a beautiful rainbow trail through sky blue.

“And another one! Check this out!”

Fluttershy’s cheers was soft; even for herself. Rainbow Dash was too into the moment to properly understand the extent of her friend’s issues. However Fluttershy let her worries drop away in the presence of her crush, content to watch and enjoy.

The artistic chaos of Rainbow’s tricks suddenly gained a new angle. Brilliant streaks of orange contrasted the rainbow in both intensity and skill. It was beautiful.

“Spitfire?”

“Looking pretty good Rainbow Dash. I’m impressed.”

“Spitfire?” Dash halted mid air.

“Yep. I was just out for a morning flight. Kind of hard to miss you, that’s for sure. You really have these down.”

“Really? Ohmygosh! Wait, I mean, of course! I’ve been practicing so much! I’m totally going to blow everpony’s mind! It’s going to be intense!” Rainbow boasted.

“I’m sure of it. Hey Fluttershy! How you doing?”

“I’m... I’m good. Hi Spitfire,” Fluttershy meekly replied.

“Why don’t you show me another Rainbow Dash? I’ll rate your tricks after you are down,” Spitfire suggested.

“It’s on! Check this out!” Dash proceeded to repeat a loop of various tricks. Spitfire landed right next to Fluttershy.

“So, how are you doing?” Spitfire said.

“I’m fine,” Fluttershy lied.

“And Rainbow Dash?”

“You know...” Fluttershy’s eyes glazed over as her attention focused upon the pony of her heart's desires who continued to gracefully flip in the sky.

“Know what?” Spitfire prompted.

The wonderbolt followed Fluttershy’s gaze.

“You haven’t asked her yet have you?” Spitfire asked.

“Oh no. I couldn’t... I-I mean... I couldn't bare it if she said no.”

“You can’t let that hold you back. I love Soarin’, but oh boy, did I have to work with him during our first dates. Boy, he likes pie...” Spitfire realized that she was trailing off. “Anyway, you have to take risks.”

“Spitfire, I don’t mean to be rude, but why are you helping me?”

“I guess I see a lot of myself in you. And I want to help. Helping feels good, you know?”

“Yes. Helping does feel good.” Fluttershy smiled. Perhaps Spitfire was somewhat similar to her.

“I think Rainbow needs to worry less about those tricks. She’s perfectly fine. I think you two should just have some relaxing time. Just chill, you know? Maybe talk things over?”

“I don’t want to interrupt her tricks. This is what she’s here for. I... I wouldn’t want to interrupt.” Fluttershy timidly replied.

“Hey... don’t worry. Remember who you are talking too. I have the final say in the tryouts, and trust me Fluttershy, Rainbow is ready.”

Fluttershy giggled softly. “You know Dash. Once she get’s going, she rarely stops.”

“Just like before, remember who you are talking to,” Spitfire laughed.

The Wonderbolt took off towards Rainbow’s direction, leaving Fluttershy to eagerly await the results.

“Wasn’t that perfect Sptifire? Awesome? Super-awesome? Double-awesome? Come on, you gotta tell me!” Rainbow hovered next to Spitfire.

“I’m impressed Rainbow. I’d give it a ten out of ten.”

“No way! Awesome! Super awesome!”

“Hey, you know what though? I think you should take a little break. I’ve had some tryouts where the ponies work themselves too hard during practice, and don’t do so well for the tryouts. I know that you are ready, so maybe a break is best?”

Dash saluted her idol. “Of course! Right away!”

Spitfire bro-hoofed Dash before saying her final goodbyes. Dash landed next to Fluttershy and thanked Spitfire numerous times before the Wonderbolt was out of sight.

“Relax. Well, you know, I think I agree with her Dash. We should just relax for a little bit. Just take some time off.” Fluttershy meekly suggested.

“Yeah, Spitfire has the right idea for sure! What do you wanna do ‘Shy?”

Fluttershy paused for a brief second, sorting options through her head. “Well, we could go for a walk again? We really haven’t done much touring while we’ve been here.”

Rainbow trotted forward. “You know, that does sound good. Lead the way pal.”

“I’m not much of a leader,” Fluttershy frowned.

“I got good news for you pal. It’s never too late to learn. Lead on!”

Comments ( 21 )

MOAR MOAR MOAR

MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR!!!!

I couldn't help but laugh at the begining paragraph. It was just something where I could see RD have a horribly confused and funny look on her face.

I think I saw a couple of spelling/grammer mistakes, though I'm too lazy to find them.

And remember to be a :raritystarry:STAR!:raritystarry:

Another great chapter! <3 It was really amusing to see Rainbow's reaction when she woke up. Priceless. :3

Oh, Rainbow. XD Don't deny it. You know you love Flutter cuddles. >83

XD This was good in progressing the story some more! :pinkiehappy:

Rainbow, don't let your ego get in the way of the truth! You liked the cuddle! You know you did.

No, it's just not me. :rainbowderp:

Then why are you blushing and why are you smiling and..................... encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUBw43xuv9g-51M96v4l_GIdK8gm9omsdcwpgnogPRx-yFjwLy

encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyn58GJm5Z6ZEM4k06S9C4USOe83av6eSS6pWZOTY6cbcTqtJB

nono it's not what you think! :rainbowderp:

encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmo5VLW6cyjNGu3wfc4np7SZKSzaDCXFgMM5_c9Evf7MaYmXs7

LISTEN TO ME! IT'S NOT.....

You like Fluttershy, don't you Rainbow Dash?

.........................:rainbowkiss:

For Chapter 8 - I Care About You
MOAR please?
I can't wait... but I will have to. But at least I can read your other stories.

Anyways, these are the mistakes I found:
1288903 I have already got you covered! :pinkiehappy:

...followed by another pair of plates.She quickly dumped ice in the...

If you look closely at "...plates.She..." you will notice that you left a space in there.

bare ---> bear - Yes it seems weird. Like the animal called "bear". But it has a different meaning as well.

And one question. What is:

Both pegasus avoided the elephant in the room.

???
It may be just referring to a fat pegasi or something. But what/who was it actually? (No offense.)

MOAR please?

1334779
Elephant in the room is an expression. Basically it means avoiding something obvious... like an elephant in a tiny room.

Thanks for your help!

I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING SO I'LL PUT IT HERE!

(If this doesn't appear as a video, someone tell me how to do this. If it does, than ignore this part).

“I guess I see a lot of myself in you

Spitfire repeats this a lot. It kinda loses meaning after a whiledl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Spitfire_sad.png

Both pegasus avoided

That should be "pegasi":facehoof:

1384033
I will fix all of your concerns. I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. Thanks for commenting!

1394268
Thank you!

Anyways, I took your recommendation and right now, I am currently rewriting "Living in the Present, Hoping for the Future." I will get to this story after I am done with it. So don't worry, I haven't updated this in a while. But thanks so much! I will clean those up based on your advice!

I couldn't help it! This instantly came to mind!
static1.fjcdn.com/comments/4041229+_d4dd8afd9104ea0df40afaa50d0f53d6.jpg

Anyway, MORE UPDATES!!!

Have a nice day!:pinkiecrazy:

yay! I got around to reading this chapter! :yay: And it was awesome :pinkiehappy:. I like the lead with a bully, and it was a clever move to have the bully make fun of them for being together, it gives Dash another hesitation to going through with it and going out with Fluttershy. The wake up scene was great:rainbowlaugh: getting Fluttershy more worried and Rainbow more curious, perfect!

I don't think I found any spelling/grammar errors this time! As for thoughts on improvement though, here's what I got.

Puffs of rage puffed out Rainbow’s nostrils.

A little bit of word redundancy. I guess to make it sound more natural, I would say something like "puffs of rage shot out Rainbow's nostrils," or some other word to replace the second "puff"

“Spitfire, I don’t mean to be rude, but why are you helping me?”

“I guess I see a lot of myself in you. And I want to help. Helping feels good, you know?”

I'm getting a serious case of De ja vu here. Didn't we just explain this in the last chapter? Perhaps this could be taken out or changed a bit so that it wasn't as much of a restatement.

I’ve had some tryouts where the ponies work themselves too hard during practice, and don’t do so well for the tryouts.

More word redundancy. This isn't as bad, but it could be better and a bit smoother to say something like "I've had some tryout where the ponies work themselves too hard during practice, and then cant fly once they get to the judges!" Just changing the repeat of that word can really spice up the sentence and add a bit more emotion.

Lastly, I just had a thought about how Spitfire's role in the story works. Now, you've done an excellent job at having her nudge the story along, but I had an idea while I was reading, and I though I would share it with you. I was thinking maybe it could be interesting to have her be a bit more subtle in her approach, and act sort of as a matchmaker. Instead of telling Fluttershy to go walk with Rainbow when she's done with her tricks, maybe have Spitfire lightly suggest to Fluttershy that if Dash has some spare time Fluttershy should suggest that she and Dash go on a walk, and the have Spitfire fly up to Dash and lightly suggest to Dash that maybe she can give the tricks a break because she is ready. That way, RD and Shy are both acting more on their own. So to summarize (because I feel like I became a bit unclear in here), instead of having Spitfire tell them what to do , have her just set them up in a position where they can figure out what to do on their own. Again, this was just a thought that came to me while I was reading that I found interesting, It is by no means any sort of error, the way you have it now is fine.

I noticed about the Living in the Present, Hoping for the Future, and I think that's fantastic:pinkiehappy: Your writing gets better every day, and I always love it when i get the chance to read the latest chapter of yours:twilightsmile: That said, I'm looking forward to a tour of Cloudsdale! Lead on, Fluttershy:yay:

Oh and 1334779, "the elephant in the room" is just a phrase people use to describe an awkward situation. In this case, the "elephant" would be the fact that they snuggled, its a big awkward thing like an elephant, and they are both just ignoring it. So yeah, it's not meant to be taken literally.

1424634
Thank you for your comments! I will work on this when I have time. Right now, I am going to finish my rewrites of my other fic so I have time for this.

Keep commenting. You are awesome. Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying!

If you could, take a look at "Living in the Present, Hoping for the Future." That is, if you have time.

Thanks again.

I need to read the following chapters
just love it up till now

please add the next chapter soon

keep it up this is great! :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment