• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 2,349 Views, 166 Comments

We're in this Together - FlutterDash979797



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy discover balance, old-feelings, and the comfort of each other.

  • ...
2
 166
 2,349

Do It For Yourself

“Hey Fluttershy!”

Fluttershy felt like suffocating. A group of fillies surrounded her, killing her immense need for personal space.

“Yes...”

“So, are you alone this Hearts and Hooves day again?”

“Yes...”

“Figures. You aren’t exactly the real looker, are you? Or much of anything really...”

The fillies received a response, though it wasn’t vocal. This was all the better to them; it was easier to ignore misery without words.

“No colts at all? So what are you going to do? Spend your night alone again?”

Watery eyes bobbed up and down.

“You should go! Maybe we can find you a nice mare!”

“We might need somepony a little more in her league...” a filly trailed off.

“Hmm... let’s see. We’ll start looking... a mare who can’t fly... has the guts of a guppy... and can’t even talk to people! Wow, what a combination! I’m sure Fluttershy will tons of options!”

“What do you say Fluttershy? Why don’t we go get you a marefriend? We’ll make sure she’s in your league. We wouldn’t want to embarrass anypony by pairing them with you.”

“I don’t want to go... I’m fine being alone...”

“Why not? Even losers need love!” Several of them give off cruel laughs, enjoying the torment they are inflicting upon the sacred filly in front of them.

The bullies, apparently full from their meal of emotions, broke their circle and let Fluttershy out. The filly ran for her sanity.

“See you at the dance, FlutterCry!”


“Eeep!”

The jump from dreams to reality hit her like a lightning bolt. Her cheeks were wet, body sore from pain, and brain exhausted from confusion. Her shakes were enough to rattle the bed.

Rainbow Dash had many of the same symptoms. Her cheeks were wet, though not to the extent of Fluttershy’s. Her tummy inhaled and exhaled deeply, and despite being in perfect slumber, Fluttershy could sense a hint of worry in her friend.

Fluttershy splashed a glass of water over her sorrowed face. The fresh water mixed with the salty tears and slowly dripped off her yellow cheeks to the sink. Her hooves gently massaged her fatigued cheeks.

A pair of bloodshot eyes was all that the mirror offered Fluttershy. Her eyelids quickly shut at the sight of themselves; an interesting paradox indeed. She rubbed them several times, giving only a few seconds of relief before increasing the swelling.

“You did this,” she whispered to herself. “Ruining your own vacation? That’s one thing. Ruining Rainbow Dash’s over your own problems? That’s horrible and selfish. Grow up... Fluttercry.”

In Fluttershy’s world, “Fluttercry” was logical. It allowed her to insult herself; to channel all of her anger inside. To find meaning in all of life’s ups and downs, as if her actions were the cause of them. It was an efficient solution to her problem. Fluttershy didn’t realize, however, that it wasn’t the right solution.

A few irregular taps kicked the floor. She fought for control of her left hind leg. Every inch of willpower inside of her battled to keep it straight and steady.

“Act normal!” Her hoof apparently didn’t respond to her begs. “What is wrong with-”

She had forgotten about Rainbow Dash. The mare was still soundly asleep, however, Fluttershy wasn’t going to take any chances.

Take your problems with you. Dashie has already been through enough.

She found great comfort in bossing herself around. It was yet another mental-game she could play to place the blame on herself. The order it imposed upon herself was yet another positive factor.

Leave the hotel and figure yourself out! You can get back to Rainbow Dash all happy and ready to cheer her on. You can put all of this behind you. It’s your fault, and you have to fix it.


Fluttershy flew off feeling as if there were a storm cloud hanging over her. Bright yellow wings carried the mare through the early night sky as she battled with herself. The evening was pleasant enough; Luna’s craft illuminated the sky, giving the weary pegasi’s heart a much needed boost.

She landed on a cloud, dumping her tired from down upon it with a sigh. Her flight acted as a sort of therapy; her physical symptoms were slowly dying. Her mental symptoms were all but immortal however, and it would take much time before they retracted into her mind,ready to strike at any moment.

Her tired figure snuggled against the puffy whites. The moonlight was just strong enough to illuminate the yellow on her coat. Crying was beyond her now, instead, every thought and emotion was channeled into her extreme disappointment. Her disappointment in herself.

Rainbow Dash. Her best friend. Her secret love. Fluttershy wanted nothing more than the embrace of her friend. To be love her and to be loved. Now, she knew she had ruined everything, every chance for her love. Even worse, she had destroyed any chance for Rainbow Dash to have a successful weekend.

“Fluttershy?”

An unexpected pony arrived, interrupting her wallowing like a breath of fresh air. Realizing that hiding was not an option, Fluttershy lifted her shaking body from the cloud and attempted to make herself look presentable.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

Fluttershy hung her head, ashamed of herself in the presence of the wonderbolts captain.“Hi Spitfire...”

Spitfire gently lands next to her and throws a hoof on her shoulder. “Come on. What’s going on?”

“Nothing...”

“Is something wrong with Rainbow Dash?” Spitfire suggested. “It’s okay. I’m just trying to help.”

“Rainbow Dash... she’s fine... I just... it’s me... I’m not feeling so great.”

“Well, that’s a big shame. What is Rainbow Dash going to do without her friends?”

“She’ll... she’ll be fine...”

“You wanna know something Fluttershy?” Spitfire lifted Fluttershy off the cloud.

Fluttershy refused to meet the Wonderbolts gaze, inducing a painful silence as her only reply.

“When I was trying out... hay... that was a long time ago...” The wonderbolt began her story with a sincere tone.”I was... well... I didn’t have anypony with me...”

“Really?” Fluttershy said in disbelief.

“I was alone. And... well... let’s just say it’s easier with ponies that care about you around. I was nervous... and nopony was there to help me out. Wanna know something Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy was beginning to grow comfortable with Spitfire. “What is that?”

“I almost failed my first time. I was so nervous... I barely managed to get by. I didn’t have any reason to perform. Some ponies say you can do everything for yourself... but I’m not sure about that. I felt like I didn’t have any reason to try my best. And now I’m the Captain of the team. You know why?”

Fluttershy eagerly awaited a reply.

“I met Soarin’. He was... he is great. I love him. He gives me a reason to do my best. I can’t imagine what I would do without him. You know what? I think Rainbow Dash needs a little support too.”

“Huh?” Fluttershy felt a jolt of uncertainty.

“Nothing. I’m just seeing a little bit of myself in you. I’ll admit, I don’t know you well enough to know your problems, but I do know that Rainbow Dash needs you. She wouldn’t bring you here if she didn’t. You need to be right there with her.”

She’s right! Fluttershy thought. Go up there and be by her side. Do it for Rainbow Dash! Do it for yourself!

“Fluttershy? You there?”

“Oh... I’m sorry,” Fluttershy apologized. “I was just thinking... Spitfire, you are right. Thank you so much... why are you doing this for me?”

Spitfire giggled. “Like I said, I saw a little bit of you in myself. And I don’t know, but I think you like Rainbow Dash. And I can’t speak for her, but I’m sure Rainbow Dash would love to be with you.”

”How... what?”

“Oh come on... I’ve only met you twice, and I can tell that you guys are meant to be together. I’ll see Rainbow Dash and you tomorrow.”

Spitfire triumphantly took off the cloud and dove into Luna’s night. A few minutes passed as Fluttershy gathered her thoughts. To her amazement, most were positive.

Her wings confidently spread and carried her back to the hotel. After her little talk the night seemed far more Fluttershy’s anxiety was still very much alive, she was now capable of fighting it. Only one thought could properly combat it however. Rainbow Dash.

She opened the door to several loud, irregular snores. Rainbow Dash was tossing and turning on the large bed, apparently dreaming of her flight routines.

Do it... for Rainbow Dash.

Taking a deep breath the shy mare approached her friend, yellow hooves daintily stepping over the clouds as if they were a minefield. Her hooves gently placed a pillow a few inches away from Rainbow Dash, and she tried to make herself comfortable.

“Eeep!”

She had never planned on becoming a pillow, but after several cyan hooves snuggled her body, Fluttershy accepted her new position. Still asleep, Rainbow Dash snored right into her new pillow. This was okay for Fluttershy. She didn’t need to sleep; her dreams had come true.