• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 2,349 Views, 166 Comments

We're in this Together - FlutterDash979797



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy discover balance, old-feelings, and the comfort of each other.

  • ...
2
 166
 2,349

Best When We're Together

“Good afternoon Dash! How was your nap?”

“Ugh... How long was I out?” Dash wiped her eyes.

“Two hours! And you looked so happy during your nap; I wasn’t going to wake you up.” Fluttershy trotted over to Rainbow Dash.

“Oh boy, I never take naps for this long,” Dash climbed off the couch. “What time is it anyway?”

“About 6 o’clock,” Fluttershy went in for a soft hug. “Feeling better?”

“I don’t know how I’m going to go to bed at a normal time tonight! Naps usually do that for me,” Dash stretched the muscles of her wings. “Ah hay, night-flying is the best flying there is.”

“It’s been a while since I flew in the night for a long time. I mean, since I had the intention of flying during the night.”

“I try to do it once per week. Good time for thinking, you know?”

“What’s on your mind when you’re up there?” Fluttershy asked.

Rainbow held no secrets. “Sometimes I worry about myself, and sometimes I worry about others. Element of Loyalty and all, right? I guess I worry about a bunch of things; it just depends on the moment. Life can be full of surprises; some pretty awesome... Others... Not so much.”

“I can understand that. Oh, you know me... Afraid of my own shadow and all... I worry about everything it seems like. And guess where it gets me? Nowhere. But I can’t stop... Or at least anytime soon,” Fluttershy opened the front door of her cottage, leading Rainbow outside. “So sometimes I go out here and sing. It gets my mind off things, you know?”

“I appreciate the thought but I’m no singer ‘Shy.”

“That’s what you have your night-flights for silly! You answered your own question!” Fluttershy laughed.

“Well, that is true, still... I guess another hobby wouldn’t kill me. Something that keeps me grounded, you know?” Rainbow opened her wings. “Something that gives these guys some rest.”

“That isn’t up to me Rainbow Dash. That’s up to you.”

Rainbow chuckled. “You know me though; I have to do something competitive. Otherwise it’s lame.”

“How about you try to beat yourself?” Fluttershy suggested.

“Huh?”

“You know, find something you are good at; non-athletic of course, and try to beat your own score. I always try to get the best note out of my singing.”

“You know I love setting records!”

“The point here is that you don’t go crazy over this. Just use it as a therapy.”

Dash sifted her hoof through the grass. “Yeah.”

Fluttershy closed the distance between her friend. “You know how tomorrow is your last day before you leave. Are you doing anything special?"

“Pinkie told me she wanted to throw a party but I wanted it to wait. Wait until I get home, you know? I was planning on just chilling tomorrow. That simple stuff.”

“"Trying to not make a big deal out of it? I can understand that!”

Dash giggled. “Of course you can Fluttershy! When have you ever brought attention to yourself?”

“Why don’t you show me a routine?” Fluttershy asked. “I really should work on my cheering!”

“Get ready to get ready! It’s going to get awesome pretty quick!” Dash quickly took to flight and followed her agility routine. The cyan mare’s talent was truly something to behold. Her speed did not hinder her agility or style.

“Woo hoo!”

The daredevil ended the flight with a calculated flip, allowing her to land several feet in front of Fluttershy. “Impressed or what?”

“Impressed? No, I’m amazed! That was awesome!”

“Why don’t you try it?”

Fluttershy retracted her excitement. “No... I’d rather... well you know... watch you.”

“You know I won’t care what you do! Just go out there and have fun!”

She doesn’t care whether I fly perfectly or not... she just wants to have fun. What’s there to lose? Fluttershy accelerated upward. “Okay Miss Wonderbolt, you show me how it’s done!”

“Let’s work on a barrel roll. It’s really simple,” Dash neared the clouds as she gained height. “Start flying downward and twist your wing’s direction.”

Fluttershy hovered next to her friend and awaited a demonstration.

“Ready ‘Shy? Check this out!” Several Rainbow patterns littered the sky as she rolled downward. It appeared almost effortless for the athlete- Fluttershy guessed it was a combination of tireless practice and natural talent that allowed her friend to fly above the rest.

The timid pegasus adjusted her aim towards the ground, facing the now grounded Rainbow Dash. “Okay Rainbow Dash... here I go!” Fluttershy gusted her wings as fast as they would beat, reaching speeds that approached Dash’s.

“You gotta twirl your wings! Throw your body weight to the side!” Dash attempted to break the poor auditory conditions of flight.

“Woo!” Fluttershy delighted. Three solid barrel rolls complimented the impressive speed of the normally-weak flier. “Rainbow Dash! This is awesome!”

“Keep going!”

“Oh my! Rainbow Dash! Look out!” Fluttershy’s speed refused to give; even at the sight of hard ground. The animal-caretaker kicked up several mounds of ground as she attempted to land.

“Fluttershy? Are you alright? I’m coming!” Dash scurried to the crash site. “Speak to me! Are you okay?”

“That was-” Fluttershy whispered.

“Was what? I’m worried sick here!”

“TOTALLY AWESOME!” The yellow mare’s cheers were elevated to a normal level. Dash quickly grabbed her friend and engaged in a series of hugs and giggles.

“You goof! You gotta land, not explode on the ground!” Dash knocked ‘Shy’s hoof. “I can’t even call that a crash!”

“Woo hoo!” Fluttershy still held onto her victory. “I mean, the crash kinda hurt, but it was so worth it!”

“Just hurt? Man, you must be one tough mare! That was rough filly!”

“I don’t care! I did a few barrel rolls! I’ve never done anything like that before!”

Dash dusted dirt of her friend. “That’s what you get for hanging out with me.”

“Best friends forever?” Fluttershy offered a hoof to Rainbow Dash.

“Hay yeah!” Dash cheered. “Pals for life!”


“Walking? I never thought you have talked me into it,” Rainbow Dash walked alongside her friend amongst Luna’s dark art. “I used to think... what’s the point? Why walk when you can fly? But I was wrong. This is actually pretty relaxing.”

“So is the ground cool enough for Rainbow Dash; the coolest and most awesome flier in all of Equestria?” Fluttershy teased.

“You know the ground the best ‘Shy! What’s the coolest part of this walk?”

“The stars are really pretty; just like they always are. The temperature is just perfect; it’s not too cold or too hot. But you know what the best part is?”

Dash puzzled at the thought. “What’s that?”

“The company,” Fluttershy thanked Luna’s void for shadowing her blush. “Friendship, well, sometimes it can be magical.”

“Which is why I totally can’t wait for you guys to be there for me during the trials!” Dash was oblivious to Fluttershy’s appreciation. “I need all the friendship I can get!”

“That’s not a problem Dash! We all got your back,” Fluttershy attempted to bring attention to Dash’s anxiety. “I know we already talked about this... but something tells me that... well, it might help if you talk about it some more. And I’m right here for you.”

“D’awww! You always know how to make a pony feel happy,” Dash joked before switching the topic to more serious matters. “But I’m fine. I think.”

“You think? Dash I really hope you don’t think; I hope you know. I want you to know. There’s no hiding it; you’re awesome!”

“Thanks,” Rainbow paused for a second. “ But we all have our doubts, you know?”

Fluttershy offered a hoof as a sign of reassurance. “It’s me Dash. Your best friend. I know you will be fine regardless of what comes your way.”

“Tomorrow is such a big change; how can anypony look at a day that changes their life and shrug it off? I haven’t been able to get my mind off it. I guess I’m fine with the changes; how could I not be? I just... I’m not sure what will happen... it’s too much and too fast. Awesome can only go so far, huh?”

Fluttershy gifts her friend a comforting wing. “You’ve handled bigger challenges than this. Remember when we took on Discord? You stuck to it and it paid off. You’re pretty special Dash. I don’t know many other ponies who have accomplished so much in so little of time.”

“I didn’t do it alone. I had my best friends by my side. Always there for me; cheering me on or fighting for Equestria. Boy, that sounded kinda silly, didn’t it? But it’s true.”

"I'm glad we got to talking about this...” Fluttershy paused for a prolonged second. “I really like spending time with you Dash. I really like flying with you, laughing with you, walking with you. What I’m trying to say is...”

“What is it ‘Shy?”

“Well... I guess what I’m trying to say...” The pair’s eyes met. Fluttershy’s resolve melted under the gaze of the rainbow maned mare. “I-I don’t want you to leave us. I’m really going to miss you. Like, really really miss you.”

“I’m going to miss you too,” Dash hugged her friend tightly. “I’m going to miss everypony.”

It’s just not worth it. Dash doesn’t see me that way.

“Are you okay Fluttershy?”

“Yes... I’m fine. Just a lot on my mind. Just like you,” Fluttershy lifted herself up. “It’s getting late. Why don’t we head home?”

“Sure. I’ll walk you home.”

“Thank you Rainbow Dash.”

“Oh come on, you know you don’t have to thank me.”

I gotta ask her. It’s the right thing to do.

The timid mare gathered her strength. “Rainbow Dash... are... are you sure you wanna go practice by yourself?”

“You know I’ll be fine. I’ll manage until you guys get there.”

“Maybe I could come with... I mean, if you want me to,” Fluttershy hoped for a positive response. “I don’t have to come, but I want to... I mean if you want me to.”

“Sure! That would be awesome!” Dash jolted with a burst of energy. “If you’re okay with that. It’s a big favor.”

Huh? Fluttershy smiled heavily. “Of course, why wouldn’t I be? I’m not doing anything these next few days. It would be my pleasure to help you out.”

“Then it’s settled. I’ll swing by your cottage tomorrow and we’ll head out,” Dash gathered her thoughts. “I guess you might be a little confused on the details, huh?”

“I know it’s in Cloudsdale, I just need to know the specifics.”

“I already know the hotel I’m staying in. We can just stay there. I gotta practice the whole time, so you can cheer me on and spend some time exploring Cloudsdale. Thanks again! I can’t believe you would do this for me!”

“I’m your best friend! I learned a thing or two from you; never leave a friend. Always be loyal. And I’m going to stick with it.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow morning. I can go over a few more things then,” Dash opened the door to Fluttershy’s cottage.

“Sounds great Dash. I had a wonderful night. Sleep tight!” Fluttershy hugged the athlete goodbye. The yellow pegasus slowly made her way up the stairs in an attempt to keep quiet for her animal friend's sake. That went well! I can’t wait to cheer her on! Her hooves met the fluff of her bed. I’m proud of you, ‘Shy. Way to be assertive!

Fluttershy’s last thoughts of confidence ensured a smile on her sleeping face.