• Published 22nd Dec 2017
  • 6,652 Views, 59 Comments

I'll Always Love You, My Little Hatchling. - RoyalBardofCanterlot



Spike faces consequences for lying after Owl's Well that Ends Well

  • ...
38
 59
 6,652

Chapter 1

Twilight tread on the cobblestone road leading to the thick trunk of her tree library which had become her home. The moon shone down on the street. The only sounds were her hooves clopping on the stone, the farming community having almost entirely closed up for the night. The lights of Sugarcube Corner's top room, where Pinkie lived, was still on and the rhythmic beat of pop music sang by the resident baker floated on the night air.

Twilight paused to listen for a few moments before continuing her trek towards her home. The ancient oak towered above the little town, its trunk thick enough for a Pony and her dragon to comfortably live in as well as having enough space for rows and rows of bookshelves. Its branches intertwined and twisted outward, each one covered in a beard of vibrantly green leaves. A night wind rustled through them, shook each branch.

She tread up to her door, pushed it open, stepped onto the hardwood floor. Owlowiscious had straightened everything up and organized all the books. Spike sat up straighter from his place on her back, lifting his face from her mane. He rubbed at his bleary eyes before resting his head back onto his favorite pillow.

"Tired, number one assistant?" There was a slight giggle in Twilight's voice.

Spike responded by yawning. "I had a rough day."

He was taken up in Twilight's glowing, violet aura and nuzzled. "See? You're just a baby dragon. You get sleepy."

"I know, I know."

She deposited him onto the ground. The owl soared by, perched on the top of a bookcase, hid his head under his wing and went to sleep.

"Are you hungry, Spike?"

Spike nodded.

"Alright. I'll make us something. Then, it's bath time."

She didn't mention what was to come after bath time. Spike followed after her into the kitchen area where she opened up a cabinet and stared in confusion at the contents which filled it. It was mostly bags of hay, a few bags of fresh cut daisies, a bag of bread, a bowl of gemstones, flour.

Spike hopped up on the counter. "I can make us supper."

Twilight levitated a bag of daisies. "I can do it. Go sit at the table and take a break. A daisy sandwich for me and...you know what? I was about to just assume what you wanted. We have really got to work on our communication." She placed down the bag of daisies. "Spike, what would you like for supper?"

Spike's lips twitched. "That bowl of gem salad. I've been letting it ripen for days now." What else could he have wanted?

She pulled out the bowl and placed it on the table. Spike pulled out a chair and hopped onto it, then waited for Twilight to prepare her own supper. Twilight opened the bag while pulling out a plate. She placed the simple, white plate on the counter, placed the bread on the plate, then opened the refrigerator door, her magic seeking and finding a jar of mayonnaise which she brought over.

Using a butter knife, she smeared the bread with the mayonnaise before placing six daisies on each slice of bread. She flipped on the tap, rinsed the knife in the gentle stream of water and then returned it to the drawer. Spike watched as she handled all of this in her magic. It took a great deal of her concentration. Normally, Twilight would walk over to the refrigerator and levitate the jar, not open it while her back was turned.

She put the mayonnaise back, closed the refrigerator door. Spike sneaked a glance at the ruby which crowned his gem salad. It was delectable. He could actually smell it, the delightful, tangy scent tickling his nostrils. Would it be rude to take it before Twilight sat down? It wasn't like he could get in more trouble.

Or maybe he could. There was no reason to test it. Twilight finished making her sandwich and sat down. She took a big bite out of it. Spike grabbed his ruby and popped it into his mouth. It was crunchy, bursting with flavor. It was not really possible to describe the taste of a gem. Only that it was delicious, or at least it was to him. He followed the ruby with a sapphire, the flavors a delightful contrast, like how the sweetness of shrimp complimented with spicy barbecue sauce.

That was the only way he could ever describe it when Ponies asked.

"Spike?"

The young dragon swallowed the last of the ruby. "Yes, Twilight?"

Twilight kept her gaze on her sandwich. "You weren't the only one who did something wrong today."

Spike's ears perked up. "What do you mean?"

"I should have known you were getting jealous. I didn't pay enough attention to your feelings and I'm sorry."

Spike nibbled on an opal. Its smooth texture was comforting to him. "It's not like I said, 'Yo, Twilight, I'm feeling left out.'"

Twilight snorted at his imitation of a Zebra rapper. "No, but I'm your...I'm the one who's supposed to take care of you." She took a bite out of the sandwich. "I should know these things."

Spike raised an eyebrow. "You once told me that it's okay to make mistakes. Everypony does at times."

Her ears wilted. "Even so, I drove you away. Forgive me?"

Spike shrugged. "There's nothing to forgive, Twilight."

Twilight smiled, took another bite out of the sandwich. The rest of the meal went by quickly. Twilight leaned back in her chair when the last bit of her sandwich was gone. Spike popped the last ruby into his mouth. This was a fire ruby, a spicier version of a regular ruby. Twilight hopped up. "Alright, bath time."

Spike obediently left his chair and trailed after Twilight. She stopped outside the brown, bathroom door. "Um, I know you're a big hatchling, but do you mind if I give you a bath? Like when you were little? Littler?"

Spike considered that. "Yeah, that'd be alright." He bumped the door open. "So, after the bath..."

The Unicorn picked him up in her warm field. Spike relaxed. Her familiar field always made him relax. "Yes?"

He tapped his claws together. Twilight hadn't even seemed a little mad, only depressed. "Am I getting a spanking?"

She turned on the faucet. The water flowed into the wide, ceramic basin of the tub, steam floating upward in little wisps. It was heavenly against his scales when he was deposited into them. The waters rocked against him. Twilight hummed a little tune as she lathered soap into his skin and poured in pink bubble bath. "You know the rules."

"I really am sorry."

"I know. Do you think you deserve a spanking?"

"Kind of. I lied to you, I worried everypony. Like you said, you can't love me if I do that."

Twilight gaped. "Spike, that's not what I meant! I meant...oh, damn-" She sighed, put a bit of soap in her mouth, spat it out. "I have really not been on top of my game today. Look, I was in a hurry to get to the hay board meeting. That's not an excuse. Otherwise I'd have talked to you, and yes, you'd have gotten a spanking. Oh, Spike." She drew him into a hug, felt his arms encircle her waist. "I love you so, so much and if you grow up to be the biggest, most ferocious dragon that ever lived, I'll still love you. Understand?"

He nodded against her fur.

"When I said that, I meant you weren't being your best self. That you're better than someone who lies and is mean to others." She rubbed the soap into the scales on his shoulders. "Spike, I promise, I'm going to be a lot more careful with my words from now on. Starting to think I should be the one getting her bottom smacked."

Spike closed his eyes as her hooves ran over his spines, rubbing the special kind of shampoo (just for dragons) into them. "It wasn't your fault, Twilight."

"I'm your caretaker. I have to take some responsibility." She gathered up water in her aura and splashed it over him. "I made a mistake and you did to. We both have to take responsibility."

The waters washed over him, the soap running into the water, turning it white and frothy. Spike watched the bubbles float into the air, reached out and popped some. "Alright. Do ya have to spank me though?"

"Yes. It's a good consequence. A warm rump helps you to remember to behave. I remember getting them myself."

"I remember too." He hid his mouth with his claw, trying not to grin at the memories of his young companion across her mother's or teacher's or even on one occasion, her big brother's knee.

She poked him. "Not so funny when it's happening to you. I have to discipline you for this, no matter how little I want to. You didn't tell me about accidentally burning the book-which wouldn't have gotten you into trouble if you hadn't lied. You tried to frame Owloiscious. You need a firm reminder about honesty."

Spike scuffled a foot. "Er, would a post-it note do?"

She just gave him the look.

"Shutting up now."

Twilight sighed. "I don't want to do it, Spike. But, I need to be able to trust you."

She ushered him out of the tub and wrapped a white towel around him, drying off his head, scrubbing the scales of his back and neck, wiping the water off his tail, patting dry his legs and his feet.

Spike dragged his feet as he was ushered out of the bathroom. Twilight trotted quickly towards their bedroom, Spike's gait was a crawl, falling far behind Twilight's. She was at the door to the bedroom while he was halfway behind her. He yawned. "Boy, I am so sleepy! Maybe I can hit the hay and we can do it in the morning?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Don't do this Spike. I just want to get this whole day over with and then we can get some sleep."

Spike remained where he was, exaggeratedly stretching. "But, I'm for real Twilight! I'm too sleepy for a spanking! Not too sleepy for a glass of warm milk though."

Twilight let out a groan, lit up her horn. "I didn't want to do this!"

Her magic yanked the baby dragon straight into the air where he flailed, kicking his arms and legs. His bottom lips trembled. He protested while she dragged him along.

She turned around. "C'mon Spike, this is hard for me too."

Spike felt tears brimming in his eyes, he kept trying to break free. Then, he saw Twilight's face and the fight went out of him. Unshed tears were shining in her own eyes. He went limp, allowing her to pull him along over to her. She levitated him next to her and slid into the room.

Placing him down, she levitated up a brown, wooden, oval-shaped hairbrush from the night stand. She tugged him along again by his ear fin, applying enough pressure to pull him along, but not enough to seriously hurt him. She would never really cause him harm. Spike knew that and that thought reassured him.

Twilight pulled a chair out from its place under her (sometimes their) study desk and sat down on it, pulling him over her knee, so his rump was positioned out for the coming chastisement. She rubbed his back. "Spike, I hope you understand why I'm doing this. I know we had that discussion in the bathroom, but please remember to be honest with me in the future."

The first whack of the hairbrush fell down upon his upturned backside. Spike squealed and yelped. A second whack came just as fast, striking the same target. He squirmed as several more whacks fell against his rear. "I will!"

She paused the spanking to continue the lecture. "If you have a problem, come to me!"

Each word was punctuated by a hard spank against the very center of his bottom. The spanks were firm, yet gentle. No unneeded force, nothing excessive. He kicked his legs while the hairbrush landed again and again on his bottom. Twilight, experienced as she was with this task, peppered his posterior with the spanks, focusing the hairbrush on the lower part of his rump before moving again towards the center of his backside.

Spike cried out, tears falling down his cheeks. The hairbrush built up heat in his bottom which was slowly growing pink beneath the blows from the brush. The brush bounced against first the right part of his chubby rear before bouncing against the left part. Twilight maintained an even pace with the spanks, the brush swatting every part of his rump.

Twilight pulled back the hairbrush and let it fall several more times against the drake's now almost entirely pink tushy. Spike didn't try to escape the punishing swats, knowing deep inside that he full well deserved a punishment for the way he'd acted. He still kicked though when a firm smack landed on his tenderized rear.

Ten more spanks landed in rapid succession, popping on his butt and leaving a lasting sting. Spike would be surprised if he could sit down tomorrow! He wept across her knee, pain and guilt roiling in his soul until she placed aside the brush, setting it on the desk, and pulled him into a warm embrace.

He smiled through his tears, which she wiped away with a brush of her hoof. She caressed his back, running strokes through his spines. Her chest felt so warm against his face, so soft. She clutched him tight, an embrace which he returned so they were both holding each other.

Two specks of moisture fell on his head. He looked up to find that she was crying. He reached up his claw and brushed away the tears. "Twilight? What's wrong?"

She squeezed him tight, almost too tight, but he didn't try to get away. "Spike, y-you're my little foal...my little scaled foal, but you're my foal...you're my son...I remember when you were a real baby and refused to even leave my side. It was so scary when I didn't know where you'd gone." She choked back a sob. "The last thing I'd ever said to you would have been a scolding. Please don't ever doubt I love you, ever again."

He found words even though he was nearly about to start crying again himself. "I'm sorry, Mommy." He hadn't called her that except when awoken from slumber, hadn't regularly called her that since he realized he was a dragon and she was a unicorn.

She kissed his forehead. "I forgive you, you're forgiven."

She stood up, placing him on her back where he could snuggle into her mane and then crawled into bed, turning over so she was hugging him.

He nestled against her. She turned off the lights and darkness crept into the room.

Within her embrace, he felt safe and he felt loved. Soon, both were asleep.

Author's Note:

Something I wrote to get my creative juices flowing from a spell of writer's block. Also, a scene I imagine happening after the episode.

Ah, sweet slice-of-life. Epic adventures are fun, but this is my bread-and-butter.

Comments ( 59 )

What episode is the cover art from?

This was a good palate cleansing to all the recent spike x twilight that has been popping up.

This story is a very good story. I feel like the interaction between Spike and Twilight is done nicely.

Two questions
1. Was this a sequel of something? It seems like this was the last part of a bigger story based on the conversation taking place in.

2. Is this an age regression story/story placed in the early seasons of FiM? It seems kinda like an ageplay story without any actual age play.

That aside, while spanking stories aren't really my thing, you certainly did a good job capturing emotions in this story.


8623316
Twispike is pure. :moustache::twilightblush:

8623365
This is the follow up to the episode "Owl's Well That Ends Well." Check it out, it's a great episode.

Yea... one spank maybe but she must have spanked him like 20 times. seriously? . not sure what your fasination with Spanking fics is but if you continue I hope at least you don't treat Twi as an abuser, if Spike can't sit comfortably the next day she went WAY too hard.

8623720
How is this abusive in any way possible? 20 swats is no where near abusive and more importantly why do you care how many swats it is. This is the problem with this day an age where everything is now seen as abuse when it isnt, Spike was punished, however Twilight explained why as well as give him the much needed that he needed once it was done. This story is great.

This tale makes you really consider physical discipline's true ability to be honestly beneficial. Particularly if you consider the mixed messages that can be sent given the situation presented in the story along with the timing.

Most correctional activity seems to be effective through utilizing Applied Behavioral techniques. Though there are still many who feel physical discipline, like spanking, is effective. It's truly a slippery slope and, again, timing and nature of overall effectiveness of such punishment is crucial.

I went for Seeing Eye Dog training and now have a seeing eye dog. They taught us to 'correct' the dog through physical punishment utilizing a specific method with the leash in conjunction with their choke chain. It's effective but I always wonder if it leaves my dog feeling like he's learned something or if he learns to fear me as a result of how sudden and quick the correction needs to be administered if it need be done.

This leads into timing. The correction with physical punishment is supposed to be done immediately in order for the guide dog to understand what they are doing wrong. Otherwise they may feel they are just being punished to be punished. This is where the guide dog and this story relevance comes into play. Twilight showed a lot of love and affection towards Spike and the punishment came well after the undesired behavior occurred. So does it make it effective?

There isn't really a right, or wrong, answer here. It just makes me more thoughtful on physical punishment being a source of true discipline.

I don't get it. The story goes out of its way to point out how Twilight was just as much to blame in that episode (which I agree with wholeheartedly) but somehow Spike is the only one to get punished?

Off the top of my head, I can only think of 4 times during the entire series where Spike has behaved badly (here, in "OWtEW", "Secret of my Excess", "Just for Sidekicks" and "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" when he burned up Shining's comic) and of those 4 times, this is the one that he least deserved getting punished because of the extenuating circumstances surrounding Twilight.

And in all of these instances, spanking seems like the least effective way to discipline him for it. :unsuresweetie:

MJP

you are so late to the party everyone is is now hungover

My fault, I accidentally put this story in the season 2 folder when I should have put it in the season 1 folder.

I'd like to point some aspects out about this:

1. Twilight is MAINLY to blame for what happened in that episode, With the incident with the BOOK, it's pretty clear she put's too much into material possessions instead of the love of SPIKE himself.

2. When Twilight introduced that Owl to her FRIENDS, how they were just awe impressed with that bird when they didn't even showed squat of that when SPIKE first came to Ponyville, that's good indication that they're no better than Twilight & practically WORSE.

3. The way how Twilight brought that Owl in without even considering SPIKE's feelings about this first hand show's to me just how SELFISH she really is and that she doesn't much care about what he thinks. The only she cares about is just her studies & any ways of making her life easier so that way she doesn't have to. If I didn't know better, she practically WORSE than Nightmare Moon & Discord PUT TOGETHER.

8624255
I thought the same thing, but who would punish her?

She could spank herself I suppose...hmm...

8624558
I disagree. Spike lied and lying to cover up a misdeed is a serious matter and always deserves punishment. In my household it wasn't a spanking, but about a week of extra chores-at the end of which I just wish Ma had spanked me instead!

The image you got for the title page. Is that from the actual show, or is it a piece of artwork?

8624559
I definitely agree that twilight is partly to blame, so if spike gets spanked, well...

What episode is this baced on?

8624255
I think Spike MOST deserved punishment for his behavior in Owls Well. He told a lie and tried to frame someone. Those other episodes were simply him being a bit mischievous or giving into Draconic instincts he has little control over, being a child and all.

8624179
Could make it more effective. She waited till she was relatively calm and could explain why he was being punished.

8624566
I can't argue with you there, but what about my other reasons?

8624912
I still can't agree with that. Perhaps if the audience didn't know Spike's frame-of-mind throughout the episode and only saw him as acting out for unknown reasons, it might be easier to punish him. But we knew exactly how put out he was feeling and it even culminated near the end by revealing he thought Twilight had stopped caring about him and didn't want him around anymore. This frame of mind is especially difficult for Spike since he's a dragon living among ponies - he's already at a disadvantage by being an outsider. Couple that with Twilight essentially ignoring his strange behavior until he ran away still leads me to the same conclusion: It doesn't make sense for him to be put through any more than he already was.

As for the other incidents, he lied in all three of them as well and even though he couldn't control his growth he still destroyed a good part of Ponyville. At the very least he would need to go from building to building, apologize to each resident, and help fix things up. As for the last example, he even tried to cover up the fact that he burned up Shining's comic and that seemed just as bad as trying to frame Owlowiscious.

I guess I feel that because Twilight bore half the blame with ignoring Spike's feelings, the other incidents are worse because in the end he's solely responsible for them, even if some of them happened because ponies didn't know anything about dragons.

Also I guess I forgot about what he did near the end of "Princess Spike" in my last comment. But I so disliked how the delegates were behaving I really didn't care about Spike throwing Twilight's weight around to get free massages and meals by then.

That's a good point. Striking out with physical punishment out of rage accomplishes nothing. However making it known what consequences come given particular behaviors while explaining the reasoning of administering such discipline in a calm mind does make it far more effective.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic with me. It's nice to get different insights into such matters. That's why I made sure to 'Favorite' this story along with give it a 'Thumbs Up'. Such content is not my norm but you present it in a way that provides more thought than focus on the discipline. :)

8624916
Thank You so much :twilightsmile:

8625473
Did you get that the bath scene and Twilight giving Spike a break on making dinner was Twilight's attempt to make it up to Spike? I feel like that didn't come through like I wanted it to.

8627226
I got that impression from the dinner but the bath scene seemed like something for the characters to do while they had their conversation about the day's events.

Did he have a bath before his spanking to make the spanking sting more?

8630481
No, it was Twilight showing her love for him.

8624255
Actually Secret of My Excess would be the one where he least deserved punishment. In that he literally couldn't control himself due to a mental problem born out of his dragon greed. Blaming Spike for what happened in Secret of My Excess is like blaming someone when they are mind controlled.
Here Spike knew what he was doing was wrong, and while blame does fall on Twilight for ignoring Spike feelings, blame also falls on Spike for doing things he knew where wrong and for not simply trying to talk to or simply yell at Twilight about how he felt.

8632894
Except Spike knew he was doing something wrong in "SoME" as well - as seen when he tried to cover up his transgressions by lying to Twilight. He played it like he was innocent and told her he was going to return all the stuff he took, then turned around as soon as she was out of earshot and went right back at it with even more fervor.

I suppose it is interesting to have a conversation about nature ends vs. nurture; however, by saying it's all instinctual and he had no control over himself is a bit too far a bridge to cross for me. If instead of being greedy, his dragon instincts suddenly told him to burn everything that wasn't made of rock or crystal to the ground, would that also excuse his actions? The lot living in Ponyville might be a forgiving bunch, but even they would - at best - have him banished from town, and at worst ask Celestia to lock him up in Tartarus.

Plus, there is evidence from a conversation Spike has in an upcoming episode which hints that uncontrolled greed growth is not a normal thing - even in traditional dragon culture. Dragons may be greedy by nature, but clearly Spike let his own greed get out of control and that's the reason had to learn a lesson. Apologizing and fixing up the town is still the most suitable punishment for him, and I still feel is more deserved than in "OWtEW" after Twilight failed to live up top being his proper caretaker.

8634060
There are other cases where he was blamed for things I don't think he was responsible for; like in Princess Spike where I don't really see what other choice he had. He did get carried away but the decisions he made were the best ones he could have made with the information he had.

Another example is the pets episode where they keep saying he is greedy. However I don't get why. Wanting to do chores and asking for compensation is not something I see as wrong. He was wrong though because he wasn't really thinking about what he was taking on. But that doesn't mean he's greedy, just irresponsible.

Spike raised an eyebrow. "You once told me that it's okay to make mistakes. Everypony does at times."

Would Spike really be so mature? I would more imagine he would still be slightly upset at Twilight or still somewhat insecure.

8750588
Interesting point. In show, Spike's maturity vascilates from "toddler" to "young adult" though.

8750591
But the thing is if he's this mature a spanking isn't really needed.

Question:
Can you name 3 things you did well in this fic and 3 things you could have done better?

8751560
I'm too close to the subject to be objective. What do you think are three things I did well and three I could have done better?

8752058
No, no. I don't want to inforce my interpretation on you. I first want to know what parts you think were done well and not so well. Improvement starts with yourself so where do you think you can improve it?

8752137
1. Maybe I should have emphasized Twilight was doing this out of love more? (That's what the bath scene was for!)

2. Could have been longer.

8861411
1. No, that part was very clear. I think one thing you could emphasize more is why Spike needs it. He acts so well behaved that it doesn't seem needed.

8861455
I was thinking Twilight's such a stickler for rules that she's going to impose a penalty for a serious violation of the rules (Lying in this case) regardless of how guilty Spike feels about it. And Spike acknowledged he needed a spanking.

8861522
In that case Twilight doesn't seem angry during the beginning of the story.

8861601
Right. She's not angry, she's doing this out of duty.

8862453
She is not Celestia. Twilight would show her disappointment somewhat more.

8862461
I don't know why, but I have never have the parent/caretaker yell at the spankee or even act visibly angry. Seriously, look at all my stories. I think it happens once and it's minor. It's inexplicable.

8862470
You should try it or maybe have Twilight stumble over her words as she doesn't know what to feel. Maybe have her seclude herself to make sure she doesn't scream. Just some signs she is uncomfortable as right now the spanking sort of comes out of nowhere.

Spike scuffled a foot. "Er, would a post-it note do?"

Pffft

8864452
Well in that type of situation it won't but in others, it would.

Login or register to comment