• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 808 Views, 14 Comments

Sincerely, Ragamuffin - Homage



A sad tale about growing up and losing innocence and happiness, told by a filly who lives on a farm.

  • ...
3
 14
 808

Letter 8

Dear Princess Celestia,
It has been three months since the last letter. It has been eight months since Pear passed. My family is getting worse. Pear was the glue holding us together. The gaping wound left in her absence has not healed, in fact, I think it has started to fester. We are all being slowly torn apart; our family ties are stretching more and more taut. A large cleaver hangs overhead, waiting to chop down and cut the cords. I look up at the handle of the sharp utensil, and I see it is engraved with three small cacti, each with a burning flower. Dad has become totally absorbed in his work. He works the entire day without saying a word, chopping cactus like an automaton, just going through the motions. Even attempts to talk to him result in nothing more than a shrug or a single “eyup” or “nope.” I want my old Daddy back, the one who comforted me when I bumped into a cactus and held me when I was crying. But I don't do those things anymore. I have lost the ability to cry. Mom doesn't cry either. But she has been getting mean. She always had a fondness for tequila, but since Pear died, she has been drinking it every day. She usually grabs the bottle immediately after coming back from the fields and passes out several hours later, with the bottle still clutched between her hooves. Sometimes, she falls asleep on her back. I used to flip her on her side, but I don't really have the energy anymore. And when she wakes up, nopony wants to be around her. She starts screaming her head off and smacking anything that moves. She still manages to get up and go to work in the fields. But I think Jackfruit is doing the worst. He no longer shows interest in anything, even cooking. He only makes plain cactus soup for every single meal. On top of that, I think he might be hurting himself. I sometimes see him at breakfast with fresh-looking cuts on the inside of his forelegs. If he sees me even just glance at them, he stares daggers at me. The first time, I tried to ask him what happened, and he said nothing until after we were finished eating. Afterwards, I asked him if Mom did it, and he said “No, just drop it.” I continued to press him, and he finally said, “I haven't felt a thing since Prickly Pear died. I do this because feeling something, anything, even pain, is better than being numb.” I don't bother him about it anymore. I could have tried to convince him to stop, but I'm not the same mare I was eight months ago. I don't care anymore. My life consists of loading wheelbarrows and planting. We have to work on Sundays, too, because without Prickly Pear we have to work more to get enough food. The bandits rarely come to try to steal our cactus, and when they do, we just shoot them on sight. And the drought has stopped. It rained all of last week. It was like a rain of all the tears that were never shed for Pear. You might think that our lives have improved. But our depression overshadows our sudden luck. We are no longer a family, just coworkers. Coworkers who can't stand each other. Without my family, all I have left is the cactus fields. Congratulations, you spiky maned monster. You got me.

Sincerely,
Ragamuffin

Comments ( 13 )
Comment posted by enamis deleted Nov 10th, 2015

"And remember kidds; sad tragic cynical endings make you DEEP AND MEANINGFUL, unlike those optimistic losers around you!"

Fail Whale. Fail-o-matic. Epic Fail.

...when you're an adolescent, you tend to think you have finally gotten to the bottom of things. For years you had been living a lie, but now this -- all these negative things, all these clouds behind silver linings -- this is the reality behind the facade. A mature, observant person (like you) is therefore someone who can see the negative (or "realistic") side of everything. Someone who sees positive things is clearly behind you, at the innocent child stage.
But life doesn't stop there. As you grow into an adult, you find out it's not a simple two-step process of positive illusion then negative reality
.... The person who stops at stage 2, decides they've figured out "the real story" and stops looking has their curiosity stunted at adolescence.
People pride themselves on being cynical because they think it makes them street-smart and sharp-eyed, able to see the truth behind everyone's bullshit.
...[but] Being proud that you are able to jump to a negative answer quickly -- that's just something most people figure out by turning 14.

Read more: The 7 Stupidest Things That Make People Proud | Cracked.com

936273 not sure if being mean or joking or being meaningful or trolling or being cynical or not caring.
img2.ranker.com/list_img/54365/339540/full/the-very-best-of-the-futurama-fry-meme.jpg?version=1340710218000

You made me sad, I commend you for doing that, sir or m'am, I commend you.

Dear Raggamuffin,

i've read all the letters you send so far and I absolutly don't give a fuck. :trollestia:


sincerly,
Princess Celestia


Nah, nice fic. My hoof of approval :eeyup:

Finally, a sad story that actually ends up sad.

936185 Well it's in letter format, so it's acceptable. And for once, I feel rather melancholy because of this story.

936939 true, but its stilll a bit bulky

936427 artisticMINK, you hit that nail right on the head, even if sarcastically. Even though Celestia never actually received any of the letters, her unwillingness to help was clear by the fact that she had been choosing to ignore all the poverty and desperation in Coltistan.

937535 i still wanna say its a frigen' awesome story:heart:

How depressing. Kinda makes me want to play fallout. hmm.

Login or register to comment