• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 808 Views, 14 Comments

Sincerely, Ragamuffin - Homage



A sad tale about growing up and losing innocence and happiness, told by a filly who lives on a farm.

  • ...
3
 14
 808

Letter 3

Dear Princess Celestia,
I am now eight years old! My birthday was today. Jackfruit made me a special cactus cake with yellow cactus flowers on it. Everypony sang a song for me, and then we ate the cake. Birthdays are special because nopony works, we just have fun together. We played pin the tail on the pony, sang, and danced to the Pony Pokey. The Pony Pokey is my favorite song. It always cheers me up when I am feeling sad. It even made Jackfruit smile! I had forgotten what his smile looks like, because he doesn't let me help in the kitchen anymore. He told me that I am no good at cooking because I burn everything. I liked when I got to spend time with him in the kitchen, because it was the only time I get to see him happy. I like seeing my family smile, but I don't get to most of the time. I used to try to cheer them up by drawing pictures and singing songs for them, but it never worked. And I have started to feel unhappy, too. The bandit ponies haven't come back since my last letter, but I had some bad dreams where they did. I dreamed that the bandits came and took away Mommy, Daddy, Jackfruit, and Prickly Pear, and I was all alone. In one dream, the meanies used guns to shoot them, in another one they used knives, and in one dream there was a whole crowd of bandits and my family disappeared into it. I always woke up crying, and Mommy or Daddy came in to tell me that it was OK. But I think that Mommy and Daddy are just telling me that so that I will feel better. I'm sure they know that it is not OK because we are so scared and sad all the time. Mommy said there is more to life than being happy, and I told her that if I can't be happy, then I don't want to live anymore. That is the only time I have ever seen Mommy cry. Princess, I now see why Mommy made up your story to tell me. At this point, I have accepted that you and Equestria do not exist, and these letters are really only being written as a diary to an imaginary pen-pony. But these letters, along with your story, have given me a look into what a better life could be like, if only in my imagination. Anywhooves, I have to finish up this letter, because it is getting late and I have to wake up early to start working on the farm tomorrow. Mommy said that I have to start working now that I am eight years old, even though I don't have my cutie mark. Pear and Jackfruit both had theirs by my age, so I guess it is only fair. Maybe working on the farm will turn out to be my special talent and will lead to my cutie mark. A filly can dream, can't she?

Yours truly,
Ragamuffin