• Published 7th Sep 2017
  • 2,367 Views, 12 Comments

Matchmaker Rarity - TheCrimsonDM



What happens when Rarity finds out that two of her best friends are lonely and looking for love?

  • ...
3
 12
 2,367

Matchmaking

Matchmaker Rarity
Written by TheCrimsonDM

Rarity had always had a fondness for Fluttershy’s little cottage house. Despite the fact that it always smelled like pine cleaner, and animal hair stuck to the couch which in turn transferred to her fur and mane. The cottage held a cozy little feeling that just screamed family in Rarity’s mind. So usually having Tea with Fluttershy was a nice little event. However, it was different today, as Fluttershy seemed preoccupied with something.

While Fluttershy stirred the tea with her spoon Rarity tried to politely draw her back to the conversation to find out what was the matter. “Darling, how are you doing?”

Fluttershy shrugged.

“Is something the matter?”

Fluttershy let out a quiet sigh. “I don’t know.”

“Oh, Fluttershy, you know you can trust me. Please tell me what’s bothering you.”

With her eyes still stuck on the cup of tea Fluttershy explained, “I just… have been feeling lonely. That’s all.”

“Shall we fix that?” Rarity said with a smile. “Get some of our friends together for a girls night? It could be fun.”

“Not… Not that I don’t like to do that, because I really do, and maybe I’d like to spend the night with a mare but not… um… never mind. I’m just not feeling that kind of lonely.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Then what kind of lonely do you mean?”

Fluttershy finally met Rarity’s eyes, and the pain was clear as sapphires in an open field. “I don’t want to be alone anymore. I want… a special somepony.”

It took a moment for Rarity to find her words as they were lost somewhere between her lungs and her stomach. “A special somepony? You, want a special somepony? As in romance?”

Fluttershy looked away and focused on her tea again. “I know it sounds dumb.”

“No, darling,” Rarity said gently. “It sounds like the exact kind of thing I can help you with. I can find you a wonderful stallion, of that I’m sure. He will be amazing in all things. A perfect prince to-“

“N-no,” Fluttershy interrupted. Her cheeks were pink and she still couldn’t meet Rarity’s gaze.

“What do you mean, ‘no’? Don’t you want a special somepony?”

“I don’t want a… stallion.”

Rarity thought about this for a moment. It took longer than it should have, but she finally came to a realization, and with it a battle plan. “Then I shall find you a beautiful princess. A mare to make all of your dreams come true. How about we try Rainbow Dash?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “Rainbow’s too… mean. She’s my friend, but I don’t have… not like that, not anymore.”

Rarity nodded. “Okay, then what about Pi-“

“Absolutely not!” Fluttershy’s tiny voice was raised just enough to create a small echo in the living room.

Rarity was stunned to say the least. Still she’d take that under advisement when looking for a mate for Fluttershy. Very few prospects lined up right away but perhaps given time she could find the right mare.

“I’m so sorry,” Fluttershy said as she covered her mouth with a hoof. “I didn’t mean to yell. I just, never with Pinkie.”

Rarity nodded. “I understand. You two seem to have somewhat of a rocky relationship sometimes. She does seem to think you’re old.”

The frown Fluttershy gave Rarity confirmed her suspicions. “I am only a year older than her.”

Rarity smiled. “Don’t you worry, I will find you the perfect mare to call your own. Just give me some time and you won’t be lonely anymore.”

Much to Rarity’s pleasure that promise had made Fluttershy smile. “Thank you.”

“After I’m done at the castle today I’ll start my search in earnest,” Rarity promised.

***

The castle’s library was a mess. Much more so than usual, and it made Rarity feel a bit nervous. Twilight never let the library get messy, except for when she was reorganizing. Books piled on the floor in seemingly random patterns, a table with stale day old food sitting on it, and a mass of crumpled up paper all went to make Rarity feel more like she was walking into the domain of a madmare than that of a princess of Equestria.

Twilight was slumped over a table with her head cradled in her legs and fast asleep. Several books lay open in front of her along with notes. Rarity took a closer look at the books. They ranged from books on how to find romance, to choosing the perfect life partner. The notes were all on how to go about courting somepony. They were not entirely accurate either.

“Twilight,” Rarity said as she prodded Twilight’s side with a hoof.

Twilight shot up right. “I didn’t fall asleep during the exam!”

Rarity stifled a giggle. “Darling, what in Celestia’s good name are you doing up here, all by yourself?”

“Alone, that sounds about right,” Twilight replied bitterly. She scowled at the mess of work in front of her. Her eyes narrowed and she threw a leg up and swept it all onto the floor making the mess even larger. “GAH! These books are useless. How am I supposed to be able to read all that much body language, to know when it’s okay to ask things, to say things, to ugh!”

Rarity gently patted Twilight’s shoulder. “There, there. Tell me what’s the matter.”

“I want a special somepony.”

Rarity blinked. “But… why?”

“Because I’m lonely, it’s quiet in here, and I think I’m losing my mind.”

Rarity nodded. “Yes, and?”

“And a special somepony would let me not be so lonely at night...”

A sly smile grew over Rarity’s lips. “Lonely? That sounds like a familiar problem. What if I could set you up with a wonderful mare?”

Twilight shot her a dirty look. “Who?”

“I can’t tell you, but trust me, you’ll like them.”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed on her, making Rarity flinch. “When?”

“I’m glad you’re interested,” Rarity said calmly. She didn’t realize Twilight was so very obsessed with this, yet that could work out in her benefit. This plan was going to work.

***

It was later that evening. In the boutique. The interior had been completely remade, with a little help from a friendly pink pony, to create an atmosphere of wonder and romance. A table with a red silk table cloth, two chairs, and candles scented like roses sitting in the middle. Better yet, Fluttershy was already sitting on one of the chairs and trying her hardest not to squirm. Rarity was proud of her work.

“It’s okay, darling,” Rarity tried to comfort her friend.

“W-what if she doesn’t like me?” Fluttershy asked. “D-do I look pretty enough? Oh no, maybe she’ll think I’m fat.”

“She will like you just fine. And you look stunning,” Rarity said. She had personally done Fluttershy’s makeup, which wasn’t much, just enough to accent her already beautiful features. Fluttershy had the kind of natural beauty that most mares would kill for.

There was a knock at the door. Rarity jumped for joy and Fluttershy let out a squeak. Unable to wait any longer Rarity opened up the front door and allowed Fluttershy’s blind date in. Twilight Sparkle was wearing a stunning blue dress that sparkled with a wonderful star pattern. She wasn’t wearing much makeup either, yet what she have on made her features stand out and made her seem much more elegant than she usually was.

The door shut behind Twilight before she noticed Fluttershy at the table. Twilight’s smile seemed to brighten up the room. “Rarity, you wouldn’t happen to be trying to set me and Fluttershy up, would you?”

Rarity couldn’t contain her excitement. “Oh you two are going to be so cute together. Go on, sit.”

Twilight followed orders and sat down. Fluttershy’s eyes were transfixed on Twilight, unable to leave. She didn’t look scared anymore, she looked curious, interested. This was going better than Rarity could have imagined.

“So,” Twilight began, “You’re my date.”

Fluttershy nodded.

“I’d ask what kinds of things you’re interested in but I already know…” Twilight’s horn lit up and several sheets of glowing paper appeared out of thin air. “Hmm… uh… no.” her eyes scanned each page with increasing speed. “So what do you think about the weather?”

Rarity took a look at the papers, they were all of Twilight’s notes. She nearly facehoofed at the situation. Twilight was literally trying to use books to go on a date with Fluttershy. There was no book that could cover either of these two mares.

Fluttershy looked down at the table. “It’s nice… I think.”

“Uh… what do you… um,” Twilight looked a little more lost than she should have.

Rarity needed to fix this and stat. Her horn lit up and the plates of delightfully prepared steamed vegetables appeared on the table before the two awkward ponies. Twilight looked at the table and then glanced at Rarity and then back at Fluttershy. Twilight’s horn lit up and a carrot lifted up off the plate and she ate it.

Twilight chewed for a minute before her eyes widened and with a mouth full of carrot she said, “Thths delithus.”

This time Rarity did facehoof. She retreated into the kitchen and poked her head out to continue watching what was quickly leading up to be a fiasco. Of course she knew what would happen, she’d seen the way Twilight eats.

Fluttershy was nibbling on her food gingerly. “It is good.”

Twilight was already stuffing her face full of food. In between bites she spoke. “I can’t believe Rarity can cook this good.”

Fluttershy seemed a little tense. “I… um… d-do your cook?”

Twilight paused and looked at her notes. It took a moment but she wiped her face on a napkin and replied. “I don’t really cook very much. Spike does most of the cooking. Do you?”

Fluttershy nodded. “I cook a lot. My animals require special diets and so I’ve gotten really good at making all sorts of dishes.”

Twilight nodded. “That makes sense. I remember you inviting us to dinner once, and how Discord ruined it.”

Fluttershy’s face fell. “I… I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault he’s kinda a jerk.” Twilight said with a dismissive wave of her hoof.

Rarity pulled her head back and slammed it into the wall as hard as she could. The pain from the wall was only mildly greater then the pain from watching this disaster she had created. If it kept up this way both Fluttershy and Twilight would be lonely forever and she’d be a failure of a friend.

Fluttershy wasn’t even looking at the table anymore, just at her own hooves with this disappointed look which should have been reserved for Rarity herself. Twilight on the other hoof was looking at her and studying her friend.

At length Twilight said, “I’m sorry. That was rude of me. I know he’s your friend. He’s just been mean to me a lot.”

Fluttershy barely moved. “It’s my fault. I’m sure I haven’t done good enough in talking to him about kindness.”

Twilight looked away. “No, it’s not yours, and it’s not really mine persey. I found out that one of my past lives, name Baast, used to date Discord. I think he holds that against me for some reason.”

Booth Rarity and Fluttershy stared at Twilight. Fluttershy was the only one who could speak. “You used to date Discord?”

“No,” Twilight explained. “My past life did. I don’t know why, but it’s true.”

Fluttershy shook herself. “T-that… wait, did you say your past life was named Baast?”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, why?”

Fluttershy’s lips curled up into a smile. “I met her once, she hated me.”

Twilight giggled. “Oh no, I’m sorry. I guess I can be a little jealous sometimes, no matter what life I’m in.”

They both shared a laugh. Twilight looked around and let out a sigh. “I know I’m no good at this dating thing. I’m really trying… because I really like you.”

Fluttershy’s eyes watered up. “Y-you do?” upon Twilight nodding Fluttershy replied, “I like you too.”

Twilight’s cheeks went pink and she looked away at the floor. “Um… what do you like about me?”

“Um… you…” Fluttershy swallowed hard. Her eyes were wide and watery. “You’re nice to me. Always, even when I make mistakes your nice to me. You always help when I have a problem. That means a lot to me.”

Twilight’s notes vanished from thin air. “Of course I’m nice to you. You’re my friend.”

“But Rainbow Dash plays awful prank on me. Discord has hurt my feelings. Pinkie’s called me old. Applejack has said mean things to my animals. You have never hurt me, not on purpose.”

Twilight leaned forward. “You’re so kind to everypony, even when they are mean to you, you still try to be nice to them. That’s admirable.”

“M-maybe I could be… n-nicer, t-to you?” Fluttershy stammered. She hid half her face behind that wonderful pink mane.

Twilight leaned forward. One of her wings reached out and the tip gently stroked Fluttershy’s cheek drawing her head up. Their eyes met. “Fluttershy. I’m sick of being lonely. I don’t want to be alone tonight. Will you… will you help me not be lonely?”

Fluttershy gulped. “I’m lonely too… I um, I’d l-l-like to help.”

Rarity could already see where this was going. She levitated the key to the second guest bedroom, the one between her room and Sweeties. Luckily for her Sweetie was out at Applebloom’s for a sleep over, which is exactly where Rarity was about to head as well. The key dropped on the table.

“You two be safe now, don’t break anything, and please be a dear and clean up afterwards,” Rarity said as she walked to the front door. She paused just long enough to look back and realize that neither of them had even heard her.

“Well, at least I did my job.” Rarity said proudly as she walked out into the brisk night air content with whatever chaos she was going to be dealing with in the morning.

The End

Comments ( 12 )

Felt slightly rushed, but overall i enjoyed it, have a like :twilightsmile:

I am comfused about this whole past life thing though.

8413346
thank you. XD

the past life thing is a reference to one of the comics featuring Discord traveling through time with the CMC.

Felt a little rushed, but overall, this was a cute and enjoyable read! And Baast....is that a reference to the goddess?

8413505
Thank you, and yes it is a reference to the cat goddess from the comics where Discord travels through time with the CMC.

"click noise" noice

Omg, I literally cheered out loud once I saw that this was a TwiShy fic!!!! Utterly adorable, great job with the setup for this & the adorable moments mixed with the comedy heh

This makes Spike's date with Diamond Tiara look liked a paradise.

Rarity's just gonna let them fuck in her house?

8419881
She's a good friend. :duck:

The castle’s library was a mess. Much more so than usual, and it made Rarity feel a bit nervous. Twilight never let the library get messy, except for when she was reorganizing. Books piled on the floor in seemingly random patterns, a table with stale day old food sitting on it, and a mass of crumpled up paper all went to make Rarity feel more like she was walking into the domain of a madmare than that of a princess of Equestria.

like there is a difference between the two

Login or register to comment