• Published 26th May 2017
  • 685 Views, 5 Comments

Yu-Gi-Oh! Friendship is Magic: The Numeric War - moviemaster8510



The members of Lamss return to Equestria right as a mysterious organization is hunting for the mysterious and powerful Numbers cards.

  • ...
15
 5
 685

PreviousChapters Next
Part 5 Epitaph - Chapter 33: Dawn of Fire

Author's Note:

This chapter's featured card: Rekindling

Normal Spell Card

Special Summon from your Graveyard as many FIRE monsters as possible with 200 DEF. During the End Phase, remove from play all monsters that were Special Summoned by this effect.

The sun rose early for 6 o’clock in the morning, but the train would leave for Canterlot at 7, so it was imperative that everyone be ready long before then. Alex decided to dress up in his old dueling attire, that is, black pants, a grey long sleeve shirt, and an open white formal vest. The day was supposed to be warm, so Alex nixed his beanie and decided to spike his hair. Sammy opted for her normal rock attire; a red tank top with a white tank top with wider straps underneath it with a short purple scarf with multicolored sequins. Eli dressed in khaki pants, his blue Iron Maiden t-shirt, and a brown flannel. Scott and Zelda dressed the same way they did for the competition. Other than that, everyone else wore simple pants and shirts, while the ponies went the way they normally do, not needing to get too dressed up seeing as how they weren’t competing, but still wanting to look acceptable by Canterlot standards.

“You ready, Rarity?” asked Eli from behind the closed bathroom door. “The train leaves in ten minutes.”

“Just a second, darling.”

“You said that 5 minutes-”

“I mean it this time.”

And, like she said, in a second she was done, her mane and tail cleaned and curled to perfection.

“Ready now?”

“As ever.”

____________________________________

By 7:56, everyone made it to the Ponyville Station to catch the 7 o’clock to Canterlot.

“Don’t worry,” said Pinkie Pie to Alex and Eli. She loved being on trains, and she was just excited that in four minutes, she would. “I know those meanies tried to pull a fast one on you last night, but you showed them. Oh my gosh, we’re going to go to Canterlot! I’m so excited! Are you excited? ‘Cause I’m excited. Why aren’t you excited?”

“Would you like some coffee and cream with that sugar?” asked Eli sarcastically.

“That’s nice of you to offer, but you should have asked me that twenty minutes ago.”

Eli failed to be surprised at this point. Once the 7 o’clock bell chimed, the train finally pulled up to the station. Once everyone was on board, the train made its destination for Equestria’s illustrious capital.

____________________________________

And how illustrious it was. Eli had not been in Canterlot since he first arrived in Equestria, but he had only seen a little of the palace where Princess Celestia and Princess Luna reside. As they walked to the Canterlot Coliseum, Eli took in its architecture. Being a drafter, he found himself amazed that ponies, even as dexterous as they were, could build something so grand as Canterlot. Alex and Orion had been in the city before, but it still didn’t stop them from being marveled. For every other human (and gardevoir for that matter), Canterlot was new to them. Like Eli, they were all hypnotized by the culture and architecture that surrounded the city. For the ponies, the trip was mutual, having been to Canterlot many times before. They were even playing I Spy to pass the time.

“I spy with my little eye…” began Twilight, “… a cake.” Twilight fixed her gaze on a large white cake leaving a bakery.

“I spy with my little eye…” said Fluttershy, “… a poodle.” A socialite mare was walking down the road with a purple poodle on a leash.

“You know,” said Eli, falling back, “I don’t think you understand the fine art of ‘I Spy.’”

“Oh really?” snooted Rainbow Dash. “And how do you play it?”

“Well, it’s simple. You find an object, describe that object in a simple form, like a color or a shape, and have someone look for my object and say what it is. This makes the game more interactive. For example, I spy, with my little eye, something red.”

“Ooh, ooh, ooh!” shouted Pinkie. “Is it that little colt’s duel disk?”

She pointed at a young cyan mare with a bright red duel disk who was dueling one of his friends out in the open.

“Yes!” confirmed Eli. “See, Pinkie Pie’s a quick learner.”

Pinkie Pie beamed.

____________________________________

After about twenty minutes of walking and I-Spying, it was about a quarter after 8, forty-five minutes until the tournament would start. They finally arrived at the Canterlot Coliseum, which looked much larger than the Cloudsdale arena that they dueled in two years ago. Upon walking in they were greeted by Derpy Hooves and Little Strongheart, who quickly ushered the competitors through the corridors while every other human and pony went to the stands to wait for the tournament to begin. “We have special rooms for you so you won’t have to deal with any of the Vegas agents.”

“Wait, they’re still in this tournament?” asked Alex.

“Yeah, even after they attacked us?” interrupted Eli.

“I know, I’d get rid of them too if I had a choice, but our systems won’t allow them to be disqualified for some reason, and the princesses don’t want to have any royal guards killed again.”

“Isn’t that their job though?” asked Eli. “To protect us?”

“Yes, but knowing their prowess of evading capture and lethal tactics, the princesses feel that they’d no more be protecting ponies than acting like pawns on a chess board. Plus, if you win this tournament, you can just wish for all the Numbers, and then they’ll be done with.”

“I see,” agreed Alex begrudgingly.

____________________________________

Eli and Alex were then put into their room. Inside was a couch with a mirror hung on the wall, placed much like a TV would be placed back in Alex or Eli’s worlds. There was also a table of fresh fruits, and a bottle of champagne on ice with two glass flutes. Alex and Eli popped the cork, filled each glass halfway, and toasted to their hopeful victory.

____________________________________

Rainbow Dash entered her room, which looked much like Alex and Eli’s.

“Hey bud!” called Gilda from inside.

“Gilda,” answered Rainbow Dash. “What are you doing here?”

“I heard about last night, so I just thought I’d meet you here when you came, and now, like, here you are.”

Gilda had already poured their champagne for them, and they both toasted the opportunity to save Equestria.

____________________________________

Diana and Chase were busy reviewing their competitors. Between them, Mark, Ryan , Flim, and Flam, they had everyone’s information on record. They began to decide studying it to make sure they’d know what to be up against when the time came.

“Who’s our first?” asked Diana. Chase scrolled through the list on his D-Pad tablet and found Orion and Helena.

“Orion,” he began. “Deck: Six Samurai. Attribute: Various. General Types: Warrior. Play Style: Swarms the field with monsters, which can then be used for synchro and xyz summoning. Helena. Deck: Photon. Attribute: LIGHT. General Types: Various. Play Style: Special summon high ATK monsters to quickly summon the deck’s ace, Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon, a crippling card for anyone who uses xyz monsters.”

“Looks like we have a bit of a challenge, don’t we?”

“What challenge?”

____________________________________

Alex reviewed the bracket. He and Eli would be up first against Sammy and Spike. Then, Orion and Helena would face Chase and Diana, followed by Rarity and Braeburn against Mark and Ryan, and then Zelda and Scott vs. Rainbow Dash and Gilda. Alex could only hope that all the experience they’ve (and he) had now would aid them in fighting their greatest enemy.

8:55. Five minutes until showtime.

“Alex, Eli,” called a tan pegasus mare with a curly orange mane and tail. She also had a pink polo shirt, glasses, and a headset with a microphone. “You two are on shortly.”

“Ready for this?” asked Alex.

“This may sound cheesy, and cliché, but it’s true: I was born ready.”

Alex slipped on his duel disk while Eli slipped on his gauntlet. Princess Celestia had given Eli a scabbard for his sword for easier transportation. Alex and Eli exited their room and walked up a small flight of stairs. At the top stood a wooden gate, which led to the arena. They could hear the crowd cheering already. Alex held a fist out, which Eli pounded.

____________________________________

Suddenly the bell tolled 9, and a blue pegasus with a grey mane and tail, a black polo, and a headset began to announce. “Fillies and gentlecolts,” he shouted. “Please rise and cheer as we welcome our beloved Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!”

The two alicorns descended from the sky with royal guards at their sides and landed on a special balcony for them to sit. They landed and waved to the crowd, eliciting cheers from them.

“Now, will you please stay quiet and remove your hats for the playing of the Equestrian national anthem!”

A fanfare of horns broke through the arena for about a minute and a half before the anthem ended.

“Now, without further to do, we shall now commence the 3rd annual Equestrian Friendship Dueling Tournament. Our first competitor is someone you may recognize. He is the winner of the first EFDC, and his partner is the titled Guardian of Equestria. Please welcome, Alex and Eli!”

Alex and Eli’s door was opened and they immediately walked out, being greeted by the thunderous crowd. Alex spotted his friends and gave them a wave.

“Next, the fiery duo returns in full form. They are Sammy and Spike!”

Sammy walked out with Spike. They met in the middle about a couple of feet away from each other. Then a four-spaced circle appeared in the sky. The spaces were marked SD (Standard Doubles), SR (Standard Relay), RD (Riding Doubles), and RR (Riding Relay).

“Let’s see how these two will face each other!”

A light appeared on the SD space. The light span around rapidly until it slowed down and stopped on the space that read SD. Standard Doubles.

“Looks like these two will compete in a standard doubles match. Good luck to both teams.”

Alex and Eli stood about thirty feet from Sammy and Spike. Once they felt comfortable, they began. Alex, Sammy, and Spike unsheathed their duel disks while Eli changed his sword into his duel disk blade. Everyone then drew five cards from their decks.

“DUEL!” they yelled.

Alex and Eli vs. Sammy and Spike

Alex’s Turn: Alex summons Dragunity Pilum (ATK: 1400 DEF: 1000). When Dragunity Pilum is summoned, Alex can special summon a Winged Beast-type Dragunity monster from his hand and equip Dragunity Pilum onto it, choosing Dragunity Militum (ATK: 1700 DEF: 1200). With Dragunity Militum’s effect, Alex can special summon a Dragon-type Dragunity monster from the spell/trap card zone, choosing Dragunity Pilum.

Alex places 2 card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-2

____________________________________

Rainbow Dash and Gilda watched the duel from their magic mirrors in their room.

"Come on, buddy," Rainbow Dash whispered.

“Right off the bat,” cheered the announcer, “Alex summons a strong set of monsters. How will Sammy combat this?”

“Just watch,” said Sammy.

____________________________________

Sammy’s Turn: Sammy activates Painful Choice, choosing 5 cards from her deck. Alex chooses one of these cards (Laval Warrior) and the rest are sent to the graveyard. Sammy special summons Laval Burner, as she has 3 different Laval monsters in her graveyard (ATK: 2100 DEF: 1000). Sammy then summons Laval Forest Sprite (ATK: 300 DEF: 200). Sammy tunes Laval Burner with Laval Forest Sprite to synchro summon Ancient Flamvell Deity (ATK: 2500 DEF: 200). Sammy then activates Battle Waltz, special summoning a Waltz token with the same type, attribute, level, ATK and DEF as a synchro monster that she controls.

Sammy places 2 cards face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-2

____________________________________

“What’s this?” asked the announcer. “Sammy could have summoned her ace monster, but she decides to hold back!”

“What in tarnation is she doing?” asked Applejack. “Why’d she leave her monsters out in the open like that? Is she crazy?”

“No,” said Rarity, who decided to watch from the stands with her friends. “She’s just formulating.”

____________________________________

Eli’s Turn: Eli activates Pot of Greed, drawing 2 cards. Next, Eli special summons Koa’ki Meiru Maximus from his hand by banishing an Iron Core of Koa’ki Meiru from his hand (ATK: 3000 DEF: 2500). Eli equips Koa’ki Meiru Maximus with Iron Core Armor. Next, Eli activates Koa’ki Meiru Maximus’ effect, destroying one card his opponent controls, choosing her Waltz token.

Eli places 1 card face down and ends his turn. During Eli’s end phase, Eli must discard an Iron Core of Koa’ki Meiru, discard a Koa’ki Meiru monster, or destroy Koa’ki Meiru Maximus. With Iron Core Armor’s effect, it can be destroyed in place of a monster equipped to it.

Status: Hand-3 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

____________________________________

“Look at this!” cried the announcer. “Despite not being able to attack this turn, Eli still manages to destroy one of Sammy’s monsters. How will they get out of this?”

“Like this!” called Spike.

____________________________________

Spike’s Turn: Sammy activates Trap Stun, preventing the activation of trap cards this turn. Spike summons Evolsaur Cerato (ATK: 1900 DEF: 1400). Spike then activates Double Summon, summoning Jurrac Brachis (ATK: 1000 DEF: 1000). Spike tunes Evolsaur Cerato with Jurrac Brachis to synchro summon Jurrac Giganoto (ATK: 2100 DEF: 1800). Spike then activates Xyz Plant, special summoning a token with the same level as a monster he controls choosing Jurrac Giganoto. Spike overlays Jurrac Giganoto, Ancient Flamvell Deity, and Xyz Plant to xyz summon Number 103: Pterosaurus Rex (ATK: 3500 DEF: 3000).

Spike activates Number 103: Pterosaurus Rex’s effect. By detaching 1 xyz material, Spike can have Number 103's effect become the effect of an opponent's monster until the end phase, choosing Koa’ki Meiru Maximus. Once per turn, with Number 103: Pterosaurus Rex’s new effect, Spike can destroy one card his opponent controls, choosing Koa’ki Meiru Maximus. Spike attacks Dragunity Pilum.

Alex and Eli’s Life Points: 8000 -> 5900

Spike places 1 card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1


“And just like that,” said the announcer, “the baby dragon Spike bares his fangs, dealing a troubling 2100 points of damage towards Alex and Eli. Now, let’s see how Alex can turn the situation around.”

“Come on, Alex,” whispered Rainbow Dash from her room.

____________________________________

Alex’s Turn: Alex summons Dragunity Partisan (ATK: 1200 DEF: 800). When Dragunity Partisan is summoned, Alex can special summon a Winged Beast-type Dragunity monster from his hand and equip Dragunity Partisan onto it, choosing Dragunity Dux (ATK: 1500 DEF: 1000). Alex special summons Dragunity Partisan from the spell and trap card zone using Dragunity Militum’s effect again. Alex tunes Dragunity Militum and Dragunity Dux with Dragunity Partisan to synchro summon Nero, the Dragon Warlord (ATK: 3200 DEF: 2800).

Alex ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-5900 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-2

____________________________________

“Ohoho!” cheered the announcer. “Looks like Alex will defend with a strong offense. Will Sammy break through Alex’s shield, or will she fail to even land a blow? Let’s find out.”

“I’m not just going to break their shield,” said Sammy. “I’m going to annihilate it.”

____________________________________

Sammy’s Turn: Sammy activates her face down Rekindling, special summoning as many FIRE monsters with 200 DEF from her graveyard as possible, summoning Ancient Flamvell Deity, Laval Forest Sprite, Flamvell Firedog (ATK: 1900 DEF: 200), and Laval Magma Cannoneer (ATK: 1700 DEF: 200). Sammy activates Searing Fire Wall, banishing a Laval monster in her graveyard to special summon a Laval token (ATK: 0 DEF: 0). Sammy tunes Laval Magma Cannoneer and the Laval token with Laval Forest Sprite to synchro summon Laval Stannon (ATK: 2700 DEF: 1800). Sammy must discard one card from her hand when Laval Stannon is summoned. Sammy overlays Laval Stannon and Ancient Flamvell Deity to xyz summon Lavell Hydra (ATK: 3000 DEF: 3000).

Lavell Hydra can be treated as both a Flamvell and a Laval monster. When Laval Forest Sprite is sent to the graveyard, all Laval monsters gain 200 ATK for each Laval monster in the graveyard until the end phase (5 x 200 = 1000, ATK: 3000 -> 4000). Sammy activates Lavell Hydra’s effect. By detaching 1 xyz material from it (Laval Stannon) (ATK: 4000 -> 4200), she can halve the ATK of a monster on the field and negate its effect, choosing Nero, the Dragon Warlord (ATK: 3200 -> 1600). Sammy attacks Nero, the Dragon Warlord with Flamvell Firedog. Eli activates Damage Diet, halving all damage they take this turn.

Alex and Eli’s Life Points: 5900 -> 5750

When Flamvell Firedog destroys a monster and sends it to the graveyard, Sammy can special summon a FIRE monster with 200 DEF from her deck, choosing Neo Flamvell Origin (ATK: 500 DEF: 200). Sammy attacks Alex and Eli directly with Lavell Hydra.

Alex and Eli’s Life Points: 5750 -> 3650

Sammy tunes Flamvell Firedog with Neo Flamvell Origin to synchro summon Flamvell Uruquizas (ATK: 2100 DEF: 400).

Sammy ends her turn. Lavell Hydra’s ATK returns to normal (ATK: 4200 -> 3000).

Status: Hand-0 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-0

____________________________________

“Unbelievable!” yelled the announcer. “Sammy and Spike have officially taken away half of Alex and Eli’s life points, while having not a taken a scratch themselves. It looks like this duel is just as good as decided. Or is it? It looks like it will all depend on their next draw.”

“What’s going on?” asked Twilight. “Alex and Eli don’t seem to be putting up much of a fight. Are they okay?”

“Don’t underestimate those two,” said Lucas. “They may seem like a slow pair right now, but once the momentum starts, there is no stopping them. Just watch.”

____________________________________

Eli’s Turn: Eli activates Graceful Charity, drawing 3 cards and discarding 2. Next, he activates Double Spell, discarding a spell card from his hand to use a spell card from his opponent’s graveyard as his own, choosing Painful Choice. Eli chooses 5 cards and Sammy picks one of them (Morphing Jar) and the others are sent to the graveyard. Eli then special summons Elemental Guardian Celutera from his hand, as he has at least 1 WIND, EARTH, FIRE, and WATER monster in his graveyard (ATK: 3500 DEF: 3500). With Elemental Guardian Celutera’s effect, if Eli were to xyz summon a monster, Elemental Guardian Celutera can be used for the entire xyz summon. Eli overlays Elemental Guardian Celutera to xyz summon Number 200: Adligo – Dragon of Harmony (ATK: 4500 DEF: 4500).

Eli then activates the effect of Elemental Guardian Celutera. By detaching it as xyz material, Eli can attach 1 WIND, 1 FIRE, 1 WATER, and 1 EARTH monster from his graveyard onto an xyz monster as xyz materials, choosing Koa’ki Meiru Maximus (WIND), Koa’ki Meiru Valafar (FIRE), Koa’ki Meiru Rooklord (EARTH), and Koa’ki Meiru Ice (WATER). Eli activates Number 200: Adligo – Dragon of Harmony’s effect. By detaching 1 xyz material (Koa’ki Meiru Valafar), Eli can inflict damage equal to the ATK of the xyz material detached (3000).

Sammy and Spike’s Life Points: 8000 -> 5000

Eli then attacks Flamvell Uruquizas with Number 200: Adligo – Dragon of Harmony, but Spike activates Battle Simulation, choosing two monsters in battle and halving their attack during the battle (ATK: 4500 -> 2250, ATK: 2100 -> 1050). With Battle Simulation’s effect, none of the monsters are destroyed by battle.

Sammy and Spike’s Life Points: 5000 -> 3800

Every monster’s ATK returns to normal (ATK: 2250 -> 4500, ATK: 1050 -> 2100). Eli summons 1 monster face down.

Eli places 1 card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-3650 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-1

____________________________________

“I don’t believe- I said, I don’t believe this!” yelled the announcer. “The newcomer, Eli, has just summoned Number 200, the legendary card that Alex wielded two years ago. It seems that it has come to assist them once more. Now how are Sammy and Spike going to act?”

Spike was worried. Not so much that he was standing in front of one of the most powerful and legendary card in existence, but that he wouldn’t be able to defeat Alex and Eli in spite of it. Spike knew he could do something that could win the duel for them, but he needed a card to help ensure victory, and he needed to draw it right now.

____________________________________

Spike’s Turn: Spike activates Mystical Space Typhoon, destroying Alex’s face down card. Next, he activates Number 103: Pterosaurus Rex’s effect, detaching an xyz material to have Number 103's effect become the effect of an opponent's monster until the end phase, choosing Number 200: Adligo – Dragon of Harmony. Spike detaches 1 xyz material to inflict damage equal to the detached xyz material’s ATK (Jurrac Giganoto, ATK: 2100), but Eli activates Barrel Behind the Door. When he would take effect damage from an opponent’s card, he can inflict the damage onto his opponent instead.

Sammy and Spike’s Life Points: 3800 -> 1700

Spike then equips Number 103: Pterosaurus Rex with Big Bang Shot, increasing Number 103: Pterosaurus Rex’s ATK by 400 and giving it the effect of piercing damage (ATK: 3500 -> 3900). Spike attacks Eli’s face down monster, which is a Morphing Jar (ATK: 700 DEF: 600).

Alex and Eli’s Life Points: 3650 -> 350

When Morphing Jar is flip summoned, both players discard their entire hands and draw cards until they have 5 in their hands.

Spike places 2 cards face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-1700 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-2

____________________________________

“Looks like Eli was able to temporarily save himself and his partner from defeat,” said the announcer. “But they cling to less than 500 life points. This could very well be Alex’s final turn, and this match is dependent on his next draw!”

____________________________________

Alex’s Turn: Alex then special summons Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit, as he controls no monsters (ATK: 2100 DEF: 1400). Alex then tributes Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit to special summon Hieratic Dragon of Su from his hand (ATK: 2200 DEF: 1000). Alex activates Monster Reborn, special summoning Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit from his graveyard. Alex overlays Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit and Hieratic Dragon of Su to xyz summon Number 132: Platinum Scales Wyvern (ATK: 2400 DEF: 2000). Alex then equips Number 132: Platinum Scales Wyvern with Megamorph, doubling his monster’s ATK (ATK: 2400 -> 4800). Alex attacks Lavell Hydra with Number 132: Platinum Scales Wyvern.

Sammy and Spike’s Life Points: 1700 -> 0

Alex and Eli win.


“What an upset!” called the announcer, almost being drowned out by the audience’s cheering. “It turns out that Alex’s Number was able to win the day for his team. You just can never tell what will happen in the course of a duel!”

Spike sat on the ground feeling dejected. Sammy picked the dragon up and hugged him.

“You were awesome,” assured Sammy genuinely.

Spike was still a little upset, but not so much that he smiled a little and hugged her back. Alex and Eli walked up to Sammy and Eli to shake their opponents’ hands.

“You have learned well,” said Sammy shaking Eli’s hand.

“Who are you, my teacher?” Sammy stared blankly at him. “Yeah, yeah, I know.”

Alex and Eli finished shaking hands with Sammy and Spike, and they went back to their rooms. Sammy and Spike went up to the stands to watch with her other friends. Alex and Eli walked back down the stairs and saw Orion and Helena waiting at the bottom.

“Good luck,” said Alex, pounding fists with Orion.

Helena looked Orion, who returned her gaze with his, and they both walked up the stage together to face their next opponent.

PreviousChapters Next