• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,534 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,534

PreviousChapters Next
An Ever After Tale 07: Ashes and Cinders

Book after book after book and still Sunset wasn’t even close to understand what was going on. Already a substantial tower of printed pages were taking control of the free space of the table, one that was reducing in size with the amount of books and reference that Sunset had taken with her. She was in her element and was enjoying every second, but in the end, even something like that could be a slightly tiring.

Rubbing her eyes a little bit, Sunset went back to read about the book with information about the different magical species living on Ever After. It was fascinating to read about similar plants and creatures that could be used as spell ingredients or with alchemy and potions, fascinating. From simple belladonna and mint leaves, to more powerful ingredients like troll’s tears and salamander scales -the one that was always on fire apparently- and according to the very recent book, even now powerful warlocks and witches continued finding new uses for material and new ways to brew potions and elixirs.

So far, Sunset had read about the natural magic on Ever After, one that came straight from Wonderland, the magical land that so often recreated the story of young Alice. Apparently it had been quarantine after a magic curse casted by none other than Raven Queen’s mother, The Evil Queen, all capital letters since she apparently deserved the title. No wonder Raven didn’t want to be like her mom, she sounded like quite the case.

Since all roads to Wonderland had been closed, the students that had been rescued were transferred to Ever After -that must have been quite the culture shock- and the adults relocated to the village not too far away from the school. Sadly the magic that usually radiated from Wonderland into the Fairy Tale Kingdoms was slightly dwindling without the open borders and no one knew exactly what would happen if it stopped flowing. It was something to keep in mind for the future, but it was not what she was looking for, still, nice to know.

Sunset’s research had so far revealed to her that there were so many different types of magic with different rules governing them. There was the most common in the kingdom known simply as Fairy Tale magic. Basic things like being able to talk with animals, random bursts of songs and dancing -that made Sunset feel nostalgia of the times it happened on Equestria- and other miscellaneous things. Basically? Mundane, everyday stuff being easier to do and normal stuff from fairy tales. Next came witch’s magic, witch apparently had many different uses like curses or battle spells (yes, I made a pun there). Others like fairy magic and wonderland magic were rather bizarre and usually only people that were from Wonderland or the Fairy lands could use those powers.

Besides those there was unicorn’s magic -nothing to do with Equestria apparently-, genie’s magic, dark magic, light magic, god’s magic and other minor examples of power that were still being studied. In the end, nothing happened.

Letting out a long sigh, Sunset Shimmer waved a hand and all the books began to float, just for them to fly back to their correspondent place on the bookshelves. Sunset decided to do this quickly and used a version of a spell that she learned many years ago; she was surprised that it worked so smoothly. As she walked out of the library Sunset fought back a shiver at the glare that was send her way by the old, wrinkly and, frankly, very creepy librarians. Apparently the two were the evil step-sisters of a previous Cinderella and it was obvious why. They had the looks and the temper to be the perfect librarians, but Sunset didn’t want to know what happened on their recreation of the story. Maybe they were so ugly that the prince then went directly to the Cinderella successor.

As Sunset chuckled to herself at the mental image she didn’t saw where she was walking and soon crashed against someone, sending both students to the floor. Shaking her head, the gold and red girl could only gawk at the other party in the accident, not without wonder-land-ing at the irony of who she met.

Green emerald-like eyes glittered as the owner blinked several times before placing her sight on Sunset. In front of the Oz member was none other than the next Cinderella, Ashlynn Ella. With her strawberry blond long flowing hair and the beautiful green mint dress with roses embroidered on it, Ashlynn was a rather down to earth-kind of princess for what she had heard. Unlike the other ‘huge’ story heir, Ashlynn seemed so much more approachable than the ‘diabetically sweet’ Apple White and Miss ‘loud and a little annoying’ -but still entertaining-Blondie Locks.

“Sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going,” Sunset said helping the other blonde off the ground while this one simply smiled at her. It was probably thanks to all the Princessology classes that all of them could do those amazing smiles.

“Is okay, I wasn’t paying attention too, I just found out the most hexcellent pair of shoes on the mirror-net,” Oh right, the mirror-net, a weird fairy tale variation of the internet that they could access to with a combination of phone and tablet that they called Mirror-phones. Something else to study later on.

“Still, I feel bad about what happened, I’m Sunset Shimmer.”

“I know, after all, who haven’t heard of the new student? Apple, Blondie and Briar haven’t stopped talking about you. You made quite the impression on them since you beat the troll,” at the words of the princess Sunset began to grow more and more red. It felt so weird to receive that kind of sincere praising from people that were genuine royals and that literally came out of the most famous fairy tales in existence “sorry that I haven’t been able to get to know you. I’m Ashlynn Ella, is a pleasure to meet you,” there was something in that smile that just made Sunset relax; it was like a fresh mountain breeze on spring.

“Is okay, I’ve been busy too.”

“I suppose that’s normal, after all, you are not originally from the Fairy Tale Kingdoms.”

“Yeah, I guess you can call it something of a culture shock. I’m still not quite used to this place and the way magic works here,” the talk would have been longer if it weren’t because the PA system activated at that moment and the voice of Baba Yaga was heard.

“To all students, please gather at the courtyard, the first rehearsal of Legacy day is going to start.”

“Well, you heard her, guess we are finally going to start with this whole thing, right?” Looking at the slight hesitation on Ashlynn, Sunset arched an eyebrow, before a shiver went through her back. She had been feeling that all the week, as if her body was trying to warn her that something big was getting close.

PreviousChapters Next