• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,531 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,531

PreviousChapters Next
The Pony of the Majesty 01

The peaceful days that Sunset Shimmer had enjoyed for a long time with her friends were over. She had used them all while trying to be happy and use the opportunity to understand friendship and magic in this world, but she knew that this would happen sooner or later. She couldn’t escape her sins or the fact that she was a creature from another dimension.

It had started with a tug on her heart, pointing somewhere deep into the east as if there was something calling for her, asking her to find it. Sunset could feel something inside her responding to the call and it scared her because she was feeding on it. Just last week she had seen proof of her theory when without even trying she had been able to avoid every single dodgeball thrown at her at gym. It was pretty obvious something had happened to her when she even disarmed a mugger before he could even react.

Sunset knew that it was a bad idea to keep the gun with her but something inside of her told her that it was better that the magic of friendship would not be enough in the next few days. The Sig Pro 2022 was a nice weapon and she had grown strangely attached to it once she knew how to correctly use it much to her surprise.

But a single weapon couldn’t save her or her friends now that Sunset knew what to look for. People walking around the city and the school was not an enough reason to feel worried, but the way they walked and kept looking at certain points just made her feel on edge. At first sight there was nothing bizarre on new people arriving to the city, but she hadn’t become one of the greatest unicorns in the history of Equestria just because she was good at academic topics, she was also a little paranoid and seeing all these people made bells go off in her brain.

At the end she had relented, knowing that all of this was because of her and like Tartarus she would let her friends be hurt. She knew what was going to happen and she texted each and every one of her friends, saying goodbye to them and that maybe one day she will see them again. She had already ‘forgotten’ the journal at Fluttershy’s house so there would be no way that magical object could fall in the wrong hands, now the only thing she could do was wait.

Then she heard the van stop in front of her apartment and Sunset knew what she had to do. Standing up and walking to the van Sunset presented her hands feeling then the cold metal of the handcuffs. None of the men were surprised to find Sunset waiting for them or if they did they were capable of hiding it.

Canterlot was left behind and even if Sunset couldn’t see where they were going she still heard the roar of the plane as they traveled across the ocean and into another continent, leaving behind everything she had known. She was now as lost as she was when she arrived at the human world but she wasn’t afraid, she just wanted to know what would happen to her. Would she be used for experiments? Would they kill her and dissect her like in those silly movies? Or worst yet, will they try to get all the information she had about Equestria? Whatever may come Sunset knew that not even Princess Twilight would be able to save her from this.

The moment she arrived at whatever place they landed she was immediately put into a van without knowing anything, seeing nothing from the back of the van as streets flew by. Next thing she knew she was on a laboratory and soon the experiments began; first her blood, her physical capacities but never questions about who she was or where she came from. No torture or pain beyond the discomfort of the needle that took her blood.

Whoever they were they seemed to have a lot of money and equipment so that could only mean one thing. What could the British government want with her? Not that the whole ‘being from another dimension’ wouldn’t be a great target on Sunset, but beyond that there was nothing of value on her, magic wasn’t something that could be used or weaponized so then what?

Her answers came once she was in her own little crystal clear prison cell. Sunset was not uncomfortable, she had been at worst places than that but it was the series of cameras and equipment that made Sunset raise an eyebrow in wonder, what was the reason to keep her contained and monitored all the time?

The woman walking closer to her cell was all she needed to know that she in serious problems without even knowing the reasons. The portly older woman radiated authority and no-nonsense so strongly that Sunset felt herself stood straight without even realizing it.

“Ten years ago a young girl and her parents found themselves in the middle of a terrorist attack. The three died there so imagine the surprise of the government when that same girl who should be dead was not only walking around but apparently acing every test and competition she was involved in” the woman said showing Sunset a couple of photographs and Sunset had to blush at how stupid it was of her to be appearing in those considering she was supposed to be hiding not putting neon signs over her head.

The woman didn’t even blink at Sunset’s facepalm and continued talking in a completely professional voice. The redhead was extremely impressed by the way the woman acted and talked, it was as if feelings were something optional when she was born.

“Then -as if by magic- sudden spikes of energy readings began to appear on the United States and lo and behold, you were not only present but were part of. Our experts were baffled by the amount of energy and the repercussions it had on the world. Apparently the whole reality began to tear apart with only you capable of fixing the damage to our world.” The woman then showed her several photos of Sunset’s transformed state and her fight with the nicknamed Midnight Sparkle. How much of a fool she was, apparently they all thought that nobody had known what had happened that day but it was obvious several governments were very interested in them.

“I suppose you want me to tell you what happened that day.”

“Oh indeed, but that is not why we brought you in Miss Shimmer -if that is your name- we want you here because there is a situation around the world that has to do with the energy that was shown that day. A week ago we, as well as the CIA, lost several of our agents in the middle of an investigation about another energy signature similar to yours.”

“What do you mean another energy signature? Is that what’s going on? You think I have anything to do with it?”

“What we think or not does not affect the end results. What we do know is that the energy signature seems to be planned to be used as a weapon by this man.” She said showing Sunset the photo of someone that reminded Sunset of a story Princess Twilight had told her about the Crystal Heart “his name is Sombra; he is an extremist who sells weapons to all kinds of groups. Whatever he found seems to have caught the attention of many groups that have little to no interest in peace and order. Sadly, four days ago the signature disappeared and our researchers theorize that he found a way to shield its emissions in such a way to avoid detection or any way for us to track him down. We were about to send one of our agents but with so little information it would be practically impossible to find Sombra, that is until one of our researchers found a certain similarity between you and the weapon.”

“So let me guess, you want to use me as a living radar”

“Indeed, because what could happen to the world if someone is capable of harnessing the same power that almost destroyed the world, well, I do not want to think that kind of power in the hands of a madman”

“I’m pretty sure you are not ‘asking’ me to help you”

“Sunset Shimmer, this is not a favor. You do not exist, you are a ghost and as one you technically have no rights in this world, we can keep you in here indefinitely but I’m giving you an alternative. Find Sombra alongside my agent, neutralize this menace and not only will you be released but also you will finally have an identity and legal papers as a British citizen.” The woman said with the same aplomb but Sunset saw the bait that was being dangled in front of her. They could keep her there in the laboratory and become their guinea pig for all eternity -or at least until Princess Twilight brought the place down- but they were scared of what could happen; it was obvious by the extremely good deal they gave her. The woman knew she already had her in her hand and Sunset was in no mood to reject it no matter how much it smelled like a trap.

“You got yourself a deal”

“Good, my men will return your things and also give you all you need for the mission. You obviously don't know this but in MI6 we tend to give our agents codenames, usually in the form of letter or numbers. The man you will be working with has the number of 007. You on the other hand, as an external agent would simply be called Phoenix… maybe one day you will be able to earn your number”

Author's Note:

Yeah, I watched a couple of Bond movies lately.

PreviousChapters Next