• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,533 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,533

PreviousChapters Next
War never changes 04

Every time Sunset went out of the Vault it was the same grim landscape that said hello to her. For someone that had grown up in a world were green and pretty colors were everywhere it was slightly depressing the way the world was so rusted, destroyed and grim in some ways. Strangely, it was also refreshing in a weird way considering this world had become a place of wonder too. So many new things were out there and so many things to explore and know, but Sunset was wiser now; there was no way she would go out there like last time.

The redhead watched the wood and steel walls being erected in a wide area but she knew that they were simply provisional and were there until they decided it was time to begin construction on the surface. For most of the residents in Vault 47 it was hard to live underground with metal walls and small hallways. It also was a shame that the Vault was designed for a small number of actual living space considering the purpose of the building. There was no space for all of them, point; so now they had to think about expanding outside and say hello to the world outside.

Sunset had spent hours reading every single file that they could find in terminals around the Vault. Most of them talking about how Vault-Tec prepared the area for mass stasis in which they would put the subjects -which being the people that signed for the Vault- for a determined time; basically only 2 years. In the end it was the stupid Overseer who had other ideas and being a paranoid asshole, he forbade every single employee from even trying to make contact outside. The Vault only had so much food and there was no hydroponic room like the one in other Vaults.

In the end it didn’t even matter since every single Vault Tec employee was dead, either by bullets or the unforgivable time that ate every single human that had lived at the time of the bombs. Sunset knew that she should count herself lucky that she was still alive and kicking thanks to the whole experiment, but there was something inside of her that told her she had been robbed of something important, something irreplaceable. It didn’t matter in the end as Sunset simply waved at the young people walking away from their small settlement, the two headed weird cows along with them serving as beasts of burden.

Sunset finally let a sigh out relaxing after what was a tense negotiation. In the end it was accorded that Vault 47 would help the trading company be their main business. In exchange of fresh water and fruit –not to mention that Sunset was planning to introduce their brand new Nuka Cola flavor to them if everything went right- in exchange of raw materials and equipment so needed for them. They had a limited number of bullets and Sparky’s project of plasma cartridges was still in its infancy.

The redhead finally stopped smiling -it was hurting her cheeks being so cheery- and went back to her usual scowl. She didn’t understand how Princess Celestia could stay so happy all the time, it wasn’t even worthy in her opinion. If what just happened was even an ounce of what was needed of her, she didn’t want to be a Princess anymore. Just thinking about all the work that came with politics or power n general was not for the redhead anymore. The nightmares she got from killing one person were enough to keep her humbled, but cheery? She will gladly shove a plasma grenade inside someone’s… backdoor before she had to smile so much.

She was ready to go back to the Infirmary Station -although by now everyone called it Research Center, considering all the work she and Twilight did in there- before she groaned watching who exactly was walking her way.

The hair was a dead giveaway and Sunset was preparing herself for being screamed at since Rainbow Dash was one of the most fervent Anti-Sunset members back when the world made sense and didn’t lay destroyed everywhere.

“So, how did things go?” A voice interrupted Rainbow before this one could even open her mouth. It was none other than the brother of what was probably the only friend Sunset had, like ever. Shining Armor was a nice guy, no wonder why Cadence had her eyes on him; and while there was a slight age difference the world was so screwed that no one even batted an eye at something like that.

“I think they are honest; they will also start making trips back and forth bringing things like weapons, ammo, things we definitely need. They were very interested in making deals with a Vault since apparently the other two closest ones are unusable.”

“Did they say why?”

“One is now caved in, which I have no idea why, so don’t ask me; and the other is filled with bandits and raiders, something about becoming a gambling and fighting arena.”

“I thought Vaults were made so they wouldn’t have accidents like a cave in.”

“Hey, your guess is as good as mine, and unless you want to check it by yourself I suggest we forget about it.”

“Yeah, you are right; as we are now we have no manpower to start scouting the surrounding area. I hope you and Twily help us in that regard.” Shining said with his brand new -or at least looking like new- Assault Rifle on its holster, wearing the Vault Security armor that they had found out in the Armory. It was quite the miracle that they had all those things still under lock just for emergencies.

“Do you even believe what she is saying?”

“Rainbow, you-” Shining tried to say something but Rainbow was on a roll and she was not going to stop this time; she needed to say everything she knew about the redhead.

“I don’t care what you think; do you even know what she is? She is nothing but a bully and a liar!”

“Yes, I was that, and you know what am I now? I’m Head of Research, so if you excuse me I have a lot of work to do.”

“Oh, isn’t that rich? Head of Research? Who was so fucking stupid to name you that?” Rainbow said screaming at Sunset as this one tried to control herself. She knew it would be wrong to throw a haymaker in Rainbow’s direction but she was so tempted.

“I did, is there a problem with my judgment Miss Dash?” The voice of what was the unofficial ‘Overseer’ of Vault 47 said. Her colorful hair that looked like the sky at different times always made Sunset feel nostalgic and sad at the same time. Every time she watched this Celestia she could do nothing but remember she had thrown away.

“Why would you do that?”

“Because her technological expertise would be invaluable if we truly want to settle on the surface. We cannot depend on the Vault forever if we want to expand and recover at least a minimum of what our lives were before Miss Dash.”

“But how can you trust her? Don’t you know what she did to us all the time in school?”

“I was petty and a brute, I know.” Sunset said looking directly at Rainbow who couldn’t believe what she had heard “I was a bully and so many other things, but you know what? The people that we were died the moment those stupid bombs did. Do you want me to say I’m sorry? Yes, I’m sorry; it was foolish and childish, but most of all, it was useless. I wanted all the power I could because I deserved it.

You wanna know what happened? FUCKING BOMBS HAPPENED! Who fucking cares about power when you can die the next day? All I know now is that we are living on borrowed time until we get everything ready to start our settlement so excuse me if I have more important things than being part of a childish grudge match. Like I said, I have a lot of work to do so I’ll give you my report later on Principal Celestia.”

“I’m not a Principal anymore, and yes, you can give me your report later on.” Sunset only nodded before briskly walking away. For her part, Rainbow could only watch Sunset’s back, still reeling from being chewed out.

Applejack had been right, there was something going on with Sunset. She didn’t feel very proud of what she had done; basically irk Sunset until she exploded. It had worked when they were back in High School, but what she had said. This was a new world and they had new obligations and responsibilities; they needed to be together and she had to be sincere, she was getting worried about Sunset.

“Whatever you are planning Applejack, it better help Sunset… and if I needed something to make me believe the world is screwed up it was that sentence.”

Author's Note:

What do you think is happening to Sunset? She seems really bad.

PreviousChapters Next