• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,534 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,534

PreviousChapters Next
Dragon Ball Sol: Fire

It was the deadliest lightshow the princesses of Equestria had ever seen and it was a compliment considering how old some of those princesses were. It had even got beyond what an alicorn could do, not even one with the power of four alicorns could do something like that and it made Celestia feel like a fool.

This was not the first time she had ever felt like that, not by a long margin. Her life seemed to be full of those moments and from time to time, life and circumstances liked to mock Celestia by reminding her of those moments. So many mistakes made due to a mixture of arrogance, forgetfulness or simply because she thought that she knew better than anyone how to do things. That was one of the problems that came with age, sometimes you forget that you never stop learning, that you are not perfect and that you can make mistakes. One of those mistakes she had made was outside, protecting the planet the best way she could, and no, she wasn’t talking about Twilight.

She had been so foolish, using the same strategy that they used against Tirek just because it had worked back then. Why wouldn’t Celestia fight instead? She certainly had more experience in the art of combat than Twilight, who, even thought was a magic savant with arcane knowledge that rivaled any ancient unicorn of lore, never had any fighting education in her life. There was a very simple explanation; Celestia herself didn’t feel like she was capable of defending the kingdom, not after her meek attempt at defeating Chrysalis back at the wedding. That was the time when Celestia prepared everything for a new defender of Equestria by crowning Twilight. She had been so proud of her that day, but it was short lived because, like every time something good happened on Celestia’s life, life reminded her of her mistakes, this time in the form of Sunset Shimmer.

What happened with Sunset was probably one of the biggest mistakes she had ever made since she was a princess. She let herself be blinded by Sunset’s magical potential and didn’t pay attention to anything else, but worse than that, she had stolen her own heritage just so her ponies would be secure. What a joke, she only did that because she took Sunset’s arrival at Equestria as a sign that the now redheaded pony was the one destined to beat Nightmare Moon and return Luna to her side.

It went from bad to worse.

Sunset was proud, stubborn and with one of the worst tempers she had ever seen, not only that, but the way in which she ingested magical knowledge was unprecedented, so much that even when they found out Sunset’s cutie mark was not the one inscribed on the Tree of Harmony, she still went on and left hint after hint of Sunset’s destiny as an alicorn.

What a foolish pony she had been, but hindsight is not perfect and sometimes one can be blinded by their own pride. In the end, the one that had been hurt the most was Sunset and Celestia knew that she will have to be honest about how exactly Sunset Shimmer was found, that is of course, if they survived the night.

Looking from the balcony of Canterlot Castle’s highest tower let Celestia, Luna and Cadence observe the ongoing battle. At first they had been jubilant at Twilight’s powerful attacks at the monster known as Eizi, but the two older alicorns quickly understood the difference in power between the combatants and grew morose knowing that their ultimate weapon had failed. It was their last gamble and they had failed. That was until they saw a flying woman interrupt the duel and Celestia finally took a good look at who had been so dear to her heart once upon a time.

She felt old and foolish now, remembering that bringing the human elements of harmony was not a gamble, but an excuse to see those close to Twilight and also Sunset Shimmer to Equestria. It didn’t go as Celestia expected. Petitioners, closed door talks, strategy meetings and so many other things had come between Celestia and Sunset. Like many times before she had let her work come between her and her loved ones. She just hoped that Sunset would forgive this foolish old mare.

-----

The scream had made everyone on the battlefield stop for a second. It was dead silent as Sunset was basically shaking in middle air. She had problems with Princess Twilight Sparkle. Yes, she was jealous of her being made a princess, that Sunset herself had been left behind n the humanwo world and that maybe, just maybe, Princess Twilight didn’t trust Sunset as much as she said, but she never wanted to see her in pain.

“EIZIIIIIIIIIII!” Sunset’s scream made the earth shake with the amount of power coming from her energy filled aura. Applejack and the rest were now attacking with extra energy. Now this was personal! Looking directly at the blue alien, Sunset wanted to get right into his face and destroy him with her bare hands, but before she could get even close more soldiers created a living wall between the two “GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!” There was something burning and she wanted to make everyone feel the pain and rage she was feeling and thrusting her open palm in front of her she felt that same rage and heat be pushed out of her body. Like a firestorm, a red and yellow column of fire and energy traveled from Sunset’s hand into the soldiers sending flying those that were close. Sadly for those that were right in front of it didn’t even feel pain, they were simply disintegrated and turned into atoms by the powerful beam.

Eizi saw the attack getting closer and moved out of the way, but even getting away from the attack he felt the heat emanating from the beam. Looking at the destruction left behind by the combination of magic and energy, ponies, aliens and humans saw the smoldering remains of one of Canterlot’s mountains. Such destruction was so beautiful, or at least it was to Eizi who stood gawking at the way in which the top of the mountain had been basically vaporized by Sunset.

The one who did the attack stood looking at her hand, as if not comprehending how she was capable of doing such feat. Meanwhile, both Twilights saw the destruction that Sunset had created and while the human one was worried about Sunset and how she had lost control of her emotions, the princess recognized what Sunset had used.

“That was Flame Wind,” the princess said with equal amounts of amazement and terror at the magic attack released by their friend “but… it was like nothing I have ever seen before,” the purple pony wanted to take a closer look but even the tiniest twitch of her right wing made her want to scream. Thankfully for her, the injury had been cauterized by the attack, but it was too soon yet to know if she would fly again with that wing.

“You know what she did?” The visor wearing Twilight asked her pony counterpart.

“I have read about it; I have to admit fire based magic was never my forte, nor battle based spells. I think it is pretty obvious Sunset Shimmer holds a greater understanding on battle magic than me. It is a really advanced fire spell, but I’ve never seen such magic performed with those results.”

“Well, look at it, seems like you are not a mere Saiyajin. Seems I have done you a disservice by not introducing myself formally, which happens when one is more focused on conquering than diplomacy. I am Eizi of the Fourth Conquering Army, and you my dear?”

“I am Sunset Shimmer, and I guess I will call this attack Plasma Wind.”

“A good name for such destructive weapon, well, shall we start this fight?” Eizi said as both he and Sunset disappeared and in a blink two fists clashed, the movements of both combatants making them turn into blurs as the fight for the future of Equestria began to rage on.

PreviousChapters Next