• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,531 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,531

PreviousChapters Next
War never changes 03

Life went on at what was known as Vault 47, at least by the people that remembers what the world was like before the bombs fell. It was arduous job and never boring to tell the truth. Red Barn took in the fresh air -if slightly metallic on its taste- that was being pumped around the main hall of what they called home.

The tall blonde man knew that it was bizarre to call a hole in the ground home, but it was all they had. Work outside the vault was slow considering they were using materials from the now destroyed city of Canterlot. He also had to deal with men and women that never in their life have touched a hammer. If it weren’t because he had his family -minus his beloved Golden Apple; sometimes he missed that woman too much- with him alongside the family of his daughter’s friends to help. With Shining Armor and Big Mac taking care of patrolling and construction respectively, Red Barn was finally able to do what he had been planning to do.

Looking around the now once again colorful interior of the Vault, he began to walk in the direction of the science duo that had taken residence in the Infirmary. It was bizarre to understand the place and how well designed it was, considering what the plan for its denizens was. To think that they had all kind of ‘departments’ like Security, Infirmary, Maintenance; hell, even an Overseer Office that he had no intention of using. For some reason, folks in the Vault looked at him as if he were the Overseer but he was no politician and no way he could think of himself as a major or anything close to that; he was a retired army guy turned family guy then once again pulled into the front when it came to protecting his new people. He left that kind of job to Celestia, she was basically born for taking charge of a situation.

If there was someone he could trust in leading people or at least organize them it would be the redheaded girl that was sitting at a workbench with some kind of valve on her hands. Red Barn coughed calling her attention, making also the other young girl in the room to turn around to meet him. That girl was also a blessing for the newly formed town. With both Twilight and Sunset working on the different systems they not only had fresh air filters but electricity thanks to the both of them repairing the generators down in the vault.

“Hey Red, is something wrong?” It was hilarious how Sunset was more like him than Applejack; he loved his daughter but she was as stubborn as her mom. Sunset on the other hand was always on the move, always checking something out, and most importantly, she had something of a paranoiac bug on her, always thinking that something could go wrong and preparing for it.

“I won’t call it wrong but… well; we got some folks outside, saying that they are traders.”

“Wait, what? Traders? Are they by themselves or are they trying to make a route?” Sunset said forgetting what she had been working on.

“I have no idea and that’s why I came for you.”

“Okay, I'll bite; why me?”

“Do you think I trust my kids among traders? I know those three; they would probably get in a mess or be convinced to sell the Vault.” He loved his kids but sometimes honesty was not the best policy, especially in business. Sunset and Twilight both winced at the mental image.

“Alright, I’ll take care of it, Sparky, can you-”

“I’ll keep looking on these plasma cartridges but I am still not sure how long this will take.”

“Doesn’t matter, if we get those things going then we will have a lot of power in here.” Sunset said before leaving everything in the work station and accompanying Red Barn in the direction of the exit.

“So… Sparky?” Red Barn began before Sunset simply grumbled.

“Look, she is the only one in here that I can talk about my work or ideas; besides, she is the only one close to my age that doesn’t look at me as if they wanted me to drop dead.” At least Sunset was better from the whole accident Barn and she had not too long ago. The first week Red Barn had found Sunset in the Infirmary station working on something; turns out that she had been working in the new air pumps for more than a day without even sleeping. Seems that she was working like that because she didn’t want to have nightmares again.

Thankfully she started talking with others like Shining Armor -who had wanted to be a police officer, so guard was not too bad a job for him in the end- and also the resident sweetheart Cadence.

“It can’t be that bad.”

“Well, yesterday Applejack said hello to me without trying to punch me in the face so I have that going for me, which is nice.” Ouch.

“So, what’s the thing you were working on?”

“Oh, that? Is a little side project; if I get the right pieces together we will find ourselves the proud makers of our own Nuka Cola product… well, not really Nuka-Cola since we don’t have the formula but both Sugarcoat and Mystery Mint are working on their own formula, and for what it looks like is going to be pretty good.”

“And the thing with Miss Sparkles?”

“Oh, that… is something of a pet project between us. Apparently the guys that were guarding this place had some high quality tech. They basically had one of those high tech plasma weapons the army was testing at the beginning of the war.” Barn remembered those, they were very interesting in that they didn’t shoot those lasers, but instead pure energy that ‘gooified’ the enemy “we still cannot replicate the technology but we are getting closer and closer, maybe one day we will be able to mass produce it.”

“Sunset, you are starting to scare me.”

“Thank you.”

PreviousChapters Next