• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,531 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,531

PreviousChapters Next
Who you gonna call? 03

“So let me get this straight… ghosts are real?” Were the only words from Starlight as the car parked outside of what could only be called a normal house, complete with a picket fence and Sunset had to admit it, the house was nice, it seemed too normal to be the kind of home in which Lyra could live in. She loved all of her friends; she even got along for the first time with Flash, but damn, weren’t her friends weird. It was true that Sunset was for all purposes an illegal alien from another universe, but she was basically normal in comparison with the other Canterlot High students; Pinkie Pie at the top of her long list.

“They are real enough that they are basically tearing down the barrier between two different dimensions. Things aren’t very clear and we definitely need to do more tests, but is not only our job now, but our duty to catch these apparitions before things get out of control and also… well, is for SCIENCE!” All the girls could swear they saw stars appear on Twilight’s eyes with how happy she sounded with those words.

“Yeah, yeah, egghead stuff later, we still have to catch this job before we can start thinking about those things. Not to mention we don’t even know how much we are going to charge them.” A slap on the back of her head was the only answer rainbow got as the car was parked and they were ready to start their new job.

“Like you said Rainbow, we do things one by one,” Sunset said as the four got out of the Cadillac rainbow had half a mind of calling it the ghost-mobile but it’ll probably never pass beyond an idea- and with one quick move she pulled open the back door presenting four packs, one for each member of the group “okay girls, gather up, I need to talk about these things.”

“Oh, come on, you just point and shoot, right?” Rainbow said as the Starlight began to check the strange machines.

“I wish rainbow, last time we were lucky that my backpack didn’t explode in a million atoms. Basically this is the proton pack, patent pending according to Twilight here,” The aforementioned girl blushed slightly at what she had done, putting a patent on their design “but it may be a good idea if this who job works out for us. It works like a backpack and it has a directional nozzle that will let out an especially atomized ray that will stick to any apparition in existence, think of it like a laser lasso and you will get close to what they can do,” Sunset said passing each girl one proton pack “just one thing, never under any circumstance cross the streams.”

“Why not?” Starlight asked still a little overwhelmed about what was going on, considering that this was only her first day at the job it wasn’t that strange. The poor girl was in need of money and it was just her luck that Sunburst had shown her the ad that had been found on the internet. Leave it to her best friend forever to find something about ghosts on the internet.

“Basically? Kaboom!” Sunset said mimicking an explosion with her hands making both Rainbow and Starlight gulp loudly at the simple explanations.”

“Sunset, everything goes to the extreme with you.”

“You either do it or don’t Rainbow, now let’s go, we have a client to save,” The redhead said as the four girls got to the front door, but before she could even touch the door, this one was pulled open and a mint green blur came out of the house and clinged to Sunset. After a couple of blinks the three students of Canterlot recognized the usually peppy and exuberant student known as Lyra Heartstrings, who right now was shaking worse than Pinkie when she took a gallon of coffee one study session a month ago.

“Sunset! Do something!” The mint girl said before pointing inside her house; it was not a situation Sunset found herself a lot; even though since her rehabilitation she had been the focus of a lot of hugs, never before she had found herself being the shield of another person. It was so surprising that they didn’t even ask about Bon-Bon before they all heard things crashing inside the house.

As one, the four girls -including Sunset dragging a still clinging girl with her- went into the house finding the two tone haired girl having a staring contest with the target of the day. Bon-Bon was using a skillet and the all the force of her caustic glare to keep a humanoid looking ghost at bay, but it was clear that even with those formidable weapons the girl was not going to be able to keep current situation like that.

“Are we interrupting anything?” Rainbow said finding the situation hilarious while Starlight was gawking at the ghost floating in front of them; for her part, Twilight had once again her trusted magical radar now repurposed into ectoplasm radar and was busy checking all the information that she was getting from being so close to the ghost.

“Oh, nothing much, except me fighting for our lives and dinner! Can you make this guy go! Is bad enough that this city is the epicenter of every crazy person, but now we have to deal with ghosts?!” Bon-Bon was usually as sweet as the candy decals on almost all her clothes, but even she had a limit in how much she could deal with.

“That’s why we are here! Now, please tell us, do you want secret recipe or extra crispy?” Rainbow said with all her usual boasting as she and Starlight prepared their own proton pack and turned them on, the sound of the machine working filled the small living room as the ghost howled making Lyra scream in fear. For her part Sunset tried to aim with the extra weight of Lyra on her back.

“Hit him girls!” as one three streams of yellow and orange energy hit the ghost dead center and only after a few seconds of fighting the ectoplasm apparition as if it were a tug-o-war contest, Twilight activated her own trap, sending the ghost right into its own containment device.

As the dust settled and every girl understood that the danger was gone there was only one who broke the silence.

“Oh my god, I love this job!” The scream of happiness and excitement from Starlight only made the girls laugh in relief and happiness; it was a job well done today.

PreviousChapters Next