• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 6,419 Views, 974 Comments

Happiness and Tears - flaminkomage



Soarin Skies, adopted son of two rich and famous athletes, is forced to follow family traditions; his father's legacy. Following through all but one, he fails to stop himself from falling for an ordinary village mare; Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
19
 974
 6,419

Chapter 37: Shops and Slaps

Happiness and Tears

Ink Mage

Chapter 37: Shops and Slaps


"I still don't understand why I have to be here," Soarin groaned, walking around the outdoor mall besides his wife and son. The three of them, along with Scootaloo and Speedy, had come out to enjoy a peaceful day of shopping at the new center in the middle of town. "I mean, I have no business in a place like this!"

Stronghold nodded, tugging at his mother's saddlebag. "Yeah, Mom! And since when did you like shopping, anyway? You're Rainbow Dash for ponies' sake!" he exclaimed. Rainbow Dash frowned, crossing her hooves and glaring at her husband.

"Now you've done it, Soar. Stronghold had nothing against coming today, and now you've gone and put all these disgusting fantasies in his mind. You should feel guilty," she said, scoffing. "Besides, this wasn't exactly my idea. You know how Scootaloo can be, her craze for shopping had gotten a little out of control if you ask me."

"Scootaloo herself has gotten a little out of control," Soarin muttered under his breath. Rainbow Dash shrugged, pointing to a sports equipment store.

"Didn't you need some new shoes for hoofball tryouts next week, Strongy? Come now, I'll help you pick out the coolest looking ones," she said, leading her son into the store. Soarin glared after the figure of his wife, but followed after her nevertheless, still not changing his expression.

Stronghold nodded in satisfaction when his mother pulled out some bright green shoes from the wrack. She carefully lowered his hooves and slipped them on, smiling as Stronghold flaunted his new look.

"Dad! Dad! Look!" he exclaimed, running to where his father was sitting. "Mom picked out these new shoes for me! Aren't they great?"

Soarin frowned. "Aren't you a little old for neon?" he said, scrunching his eyebrows. Stronghold opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, Rainbow Dash had come up besides him.

"Are you disagreeing with my choice, Soarin Skies?" she asked in a low voice. A few onlookers had cast wary glances at them, knowing a fight between a married couple when they saw one. Soarin, not wanting to attract attention, shook his head.

"Um... of course not, Dearest," he said. "Stronghold, they're great! Let's get them to the counter and pay. How much were they again, Rainbow?"

Rainbow Dash shrugged. "Three-hundred-fifty bits plus tax. No sale."

Soarin was sure today was going to be one of the worst in his life.

After paying, the three of them left the shop. Soarin turned to his wife expectantly.

"So... where would you like to go next?" he asked, biting his lip nervously. He was in absolutely no mood to piss off his beloved today. He knew how that would end up.

"Oh I just have to return a few things. It'll only take a few hours at most," Rainbow Dash said absentmindedly. Soarin blanched. Without a word, he quickly followed after her.

"What I don't understand," Soarin said, "is why somepony would buy something if they end up returning it in the end."

Rainbow Dash shot him a look. "Are you mocking me?" she asked, leaning closer to him. Soarin quickly shook his head.

"N-no! Of course not. I was just wondering," he managed to squeak out. Rainbow Dash nodded.

"Right. Well, sometimes ponies don't know whether they'll end up using what they're purchasing," she explained, "and then after buying it, they second-doubt themselves and end up returning it the next day."

"But then why not just return it right after buying it?" Soarin asked.

"Because most ponies have a reputation to keep up! Obviously!" Rainbow Dash screeched. "Honestly, Soar. This is amateur level stuff, you should know this."

Soarin could only nod.

Suddenly, Scootaloo appeared in front of them, wearing a skimpy outfit with her mane tied up. She looked aghast, looking around before spotting her sister.

"Rainbow Dash! Thank Celestia I found you! I have no idea what to wear! Please help me!" she exclaimed, grabbing Dash's hoof.

Soarin's eyes widened as he eyed her clothing. His mouth dropped. "What do you think you're wearing, young lady?"

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo ignored him. Stronghold was busy looking at Sand Bolt, Lightning Dust's daughter and his neighbor.

"For the Fall Dance? Or just for casual wear?" Rainbow Dash asked. "My sister needs to look the best out of everyone, so I need to know."

Soarin gasped. "Change out of that right this instant!" he kept saying to Scootaloo. She ignored him again.

"Both!" she exclaimed, leading Rainbow Dash into the large boutique.

"Come on, Soarin!" Rainbow Dash said, gesturing for him to follow. Soarin still looked at Scootaloo.

"Scootaloo! Wear something else right now!" he yelled.

"OH GROW UP!!" Scootaloo shouted back to him, entering the store.

Soarin sighed, trailing behind the two of them with a frown.

Stronghold, however, decided to go up to his neighbor, who was sitting on a bench, eating her ice cream. He sat down, looking at her longingly. Well, looking at her ice cream longingly.

"Sandy, can I have a bite?" he asked hopefully, leaning closer to her. Sand Bolt looked at him in disgust.

"Absolutely not. And do not call me Sandy," she replied, going back to licking the sweet treat. Stronghold bit his lip, pouting at her.

"Pleaaassseee?" he whined. "Only a tiny bite! I promise!"

Sand Bolt shook her head. "Nope. I refuse."

Stronghold sighed, deciding to approach the matter in a different way. He yawned, stretching his arms and slinging his hoof around Sand Bolt's figure. She narrowed her eyes at him.

"Stop flirting."

Stronghold feigned innocence. "What? I'm not flirting," he said casually.

Sand Bolt, who had had enough of this, swiftly got up and swung her hoof at Stronghold's face, slapping him softly. She quickly ran away after doing so.

Stronghold frowned, leaning back in the middle of the bench, thinking about what had just happened.

"But I didn't even get my ice cream..."


Scootaloo looked at herself in the mirror, running her hooves down her figure. Her lips moved into a thoughtful expression as she thought about what could make the dress look even better. She grinned as an idea dawned upon her, reaching out and grabbing a silver purse from the racks. She nodded at herself in approval.

"Perfect..." she said in a breathy voice.

Suddenly, strong hooves wrapped around her from behind. Scootaloo gasped as she looked into the mirror again, trying to find the culprit. She gasped as she saw Speedy standing above her.

Scootaloo smirked. "How do I look?" she asked, jutting out herself to show off. Speedy eyed her closely, thinking over his answer. His bottom lip jutted out as he leaned in close to her ear.

"In whatever you wear," he whispered sensually, "you look stupid."

Speedy laughed as he let go of her, twirling her around and attempting to walk away. Scootaloo's eyes widened as his teasing words sunk in. She fumed, turning him and slapping him right across the cheek.

She huffed, turning and walking away.


Rainbow Dash looked over the beautiful long black dress in front of her. She hastily took it off the rack, eyeing it before nodding in approval. It was beautiful, not that she'd ever admit it out loud.

She quickly checked around to make sure nopony was watching her, and turned towards the mirror.

'Thank Celestia Scootaloo finished whatever she wanted my help with,' she thought to herself, holding the dress in front of her figure in an attempt to see how it looked on her.

Rainbow Dash squealed in delight once she saw how she looked. It would be a good fit on her, that's for sure. Plus, Soarin would be more than pleased to see her in this outfit.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash, I just- Holy crap what?" a new voice said, making Rainbow Dash jump. She quickly turned around to face her husband, throwing the dress to the ground.

"Oh! Soarin... I was just... I was just..."

Soarin's eyes widened as he looked at the flattering dress on the floor. His cheeks puffed out as he realized what was going on.

"Were you seriously just trying that on?!" he exclaimed, his face becoming redder and redder by the second. Rainbow Dash nervously shook her head.

"Uh... no! That was for Scootaloo, obviously," she said, watching Soarin carefully.

The stallion suddenly burst out laughing.

"A-are y-you... you're k-kidding me r-right!" he said, holding his burning cheeks. This was too good. "Y-you'll look like a buffoon in th-that thing! I-if you won't have mercy on yourself... have mercy on the ponies around you! The ponies who'll have to see you in... in that thing!"

Rainbow Dash scoffed, trotting close to her husband's face.

"N-now Rainbows... if you wanted that, you could have just said so-" Soarin started, but was cut off by Dash's hoof connecting with his face. She slapped him, hard.

Rainbow Dash tutted, before galloping away, out of sight.

Soarin chuckled.

"Eh... she loves me."


Speedy walked through the outdoor mall setting, instantly spotting Stronghold alone on the bench, rubbing his cheek. He looked like... like he had been slapped. Speedy was willing to bet anything it was by their neighbor. She never did like him much, anyway. And, Speedy was sure he had spotted her with Lightning Dust somewhere in the mall.

Speedy quickly walked up to him, noticing Soarin was doing the same.

"Were you just slapped by a filly?" Soarin said, taking a seat on the bench besides his son. Speedy did the same, sitting to the left of Stronghold while Soarin was on the right.

He laughed. "He's such a kid!" he said nervously, thinking back to Scootaloo.

Soarin did the same with Rainbow Dash.

Stronghold thought about Sand Bolt.

"Girls..." the three of them said simultaneously, running their hooves down their cheeks.

Comments ( 53 )

Deh ships are real

7803429 your comment made me laugh XD

So the name of Sandy returns. Man I miss Twin Troubles.

"But I didn't even get my ice cream..."

LOL!!!!!!:rainbowlaugh:
And this one

"Were you just slapped by a filly?" Soarin said, taking a seat on the bench besides his son. Speedy did the same, sitting to the left of Stronghold while Soarin was on the right.
He laughed. "He's such a kid!" he said nervously, thinking back to Scootaloo.
Soarin did the same with Rainbow Dash.
Stronghold thought about Sand Bolt.
"Girls..." the three of them said simultaneously, running their hooves down their cheeks.

I LOST IT!!!:rainbowlaugh: SLAP FEST BITCHES!!!!:rainbowlaugh: whops my language:twilightblush: and judgeing by the way Dash's acting she's preggy isnt she:ajbemused:
and

"Girls..." the three of them said simultaneously, running their hooves down their cheeks.

Can't live without them, can't live with them! And that coming from a girl:raritywink: and also dash is acting so OOC in this... I'm fearing Manehatten has gotten to her:fluttershysad:

Ugggghhh I can't wait another weeeeek

I love this chapter! It's so funny! :rainbowlaugh:

7804422 Really? She's acting OOC? Would you mind telling me where? I actually was working extra hard to keep her in character for this chapter specifically, so seeing your comment was a bit of a surprise, that's all. XD (Oh, and, if you're referring to when she looked at the dress, we all know she has a soft spot for those kinds of things, even if she doesn't show it). And yes, absolutely, Manehattan has really gotten to our little Dashie, hasn't it. :rainbowlaugh:

Phhhht, that ending made me laugh so hard I cried XD I'm being serious :rainbowlaugh:

And Dashie be like "Soarin, shut up and put up with it" I have a feeling that Dash would do amazing in my house XD

7805605 ok I'll tell u
#1: she was acting a lot like she was pregnant that's why I suspect another member of the family
#2:SINCE WHEN DOSE SHE CARE ABOUT LOOKS!!
#3:Too asertive even for Dash
but if Manhatten has gotten into her then #2 dosen't count

7804121 What happened to the story? Did she delete it?:rainbowhuh:

7806146 Dude, she is completely in character. My goodness, it is exactly like the show!
1.That's her personality IN THE SHOW NOT FANFICS! Get to watching the show. She is happy one minute and mad the next, like the show, and favors anger.
2.*Cough* She always has. Have you seen that episode in Season 6 where Applejack fixes the Spa with Rarity, and they catch Rainbow getting a hooficure, saying 'A lady needs to pamper herself' implying she cares if she looks nice.
3. Actually, Dash challenges everything and is assertive to EVERYTHING so honesty, you need to research before you critisize stories.

7805605 She is completely in character.

7808245 yes I see where you going with this but fyi I WATCHED EVERY GODDAMN EPISODE!!!!OK!!!! And I don't see her having mood swings THIS terribally (mind my spelling my phone suks)!! As if she was pregnant I don't remember her having mood swings this bad! And yes I remember that episode... It's just... Well I told you #2 is alredy out of the window!!! Cuz I said MANEHATTEN HAS EFFECTED HER!!:twilightangry2: and still I don't feel like she cares abiut looks that much OK!!! IT'S MY GODDAMN OPINION SO SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BITHCH!!!!:flutterrage:

7808382 Don't curse at me. You were reported. Hope you get banned for a day :)

7808382 Chill. Seriously. No need to get so worked up over something so silly.

7808382 and learn how to spell before you call me a [spoiler] bitch

THE PICTURE!!!! :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh: *wheze* god that was good :rainbowlaugh: nice attachment:raritywink:

:rainbowlaugh:Always with the boys making the girls pissed

The picture made me laughed so much!:rainbowlaugh: It is a great attachment.

7808382 you do know that this is only a fan fic, and it's not your story, besides, this story is great so why did u have a big problem over it??:rainbowhuh:

7816032 GEZZ STOP MAKING SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT IT'S MY OPINION SO WHY CARE INKMAGE CAN DISSMISS IT IF SHE WANTS BUT MY OPINION IS MY OPINION I SAW WHAT YOU SAID IN BOTH MY PAGE AND MY STORY!!! I'S MY OPINION SO WHY GIVE A DAMN!!

7816277 okay if u say so:applejackunsure:

Ahahahahaha oh how I missed this.

Merry christmas by the way, flamingo. (Why do you have to love flamingos so much, everytime I see something with a flamingo I get sad :C )

7823241 yea I have anger issues cuz I keep on getting picked onin school I'm an introvert and this site is my escape

7823244 SKSJDNDNDNDN ahhhh merry christmas wolfybane!! >.< arghh i miss you so much..

Why no updates yet???:fluttershysad::fluttershysad::fluttershysad:

7832282 Lack of motivation and writers block :twilightblush:

7835735 oh....
I do hope that you'll get over to that writers block though, so that you may continue this wonderful story of yours. It is after all, one of your best story, yet:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Please update!.....please

NOOOOOOO WHY IS IT CANCELLED!!!!! it was my favorite story yet.......i want an explanation!!! :raritycry::fluttercry::applecry::raritydespair:

7885148 all I know that she's fed up, had a block and decided to f it all and quit writing for the fandom.

7885148
7885363

That's not exactly true. XD Don't worry, I'll soon make a blog post about it and explain everything.

I loved this story… :fluttercry: Sorry it didn't for out for you...:applecry:

7885363 ehhh??? Really?? Someone did that??

lol, "i didn't get my ice cream" funny XD

Hahahahahahhaaaaaa well they sure had it coming. And then to say something rude or not nice about a mares looks and snakes, there both bad at It, (Men :ajbemused:). Good job wonder what will happen next. :raritywink::rainbowdetermined2::pinkiehappy::twilightsmile::raritywink:

THIS STORY MADE ME CRY:fluttercry:

I know i already commented before and yes i know I'm late ....again but i just wanna say that i really miss this story :fluttershysad:
also that I know what movie this is from.....:trollestia:

Aré you going to continue With this story?

Chapter 21 was really good - you set out the contrast between the wedding and the planned wedding perfectly.

my dude these comments lmao

8573935
oh my god EW you're looking back at this kewjfndwk

8587613
it's almost been a year wow

please update

8588685 its dead why or moved it to onther profile?

Login or register to comment