• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 6,416 Views, 974 Comments

Happiness and Tears - flaminkomage



Soarin Skies, adopted son of two rich and famous athletes, is forced to follow family traditions; his father's legacy. Following through all but one, he fails to stop himself from falling for an ordinary village mare; Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
19
 974
 6,416

Chapter 34: Long Time No See

Happiness and Tears

Ink Mage

Chapter 34: Long Time No See


"No. No. Absolutely not," Soarin said, shaking his head at his sister in-law. Scootaloo gaped at him, her eyebrows furrowing and her lips quirking downwards into a pleading pout.

"Oh please, Soarin!" she wailed, "it's only for a few weeks! He'll be gone before you know it!"

"Didn't you hear me the first time? I said no. And that's final," Soarin replied, running a hoof through his messy mane and sighing. Scootaloo huffed.

"It isn't like he's some kind of stranger!" she exclaimed. Soarin raised an eyebrow.

"Oh? Who is he then?" he asked.

Scootaloo was currently trying to persuade Soarin into letting Speedy stay with them for a while, and it was not working in the slightest. Of course, she had to get him to comply somehow, without telling him the pony who wanted to crash with them was in fact his brother that he hadn't seen in over ten years.

"He's Sweetie Belle's cousin! He's visiting for a few weeks and he has no place to stay!" she said, turning pointedly towards one of her best friends. Sweetie Belle was standing in the middle of the room looking at the scene in confusion. "Tell him, Sweetie Belle."

"What?" Sweetie Belle asked, tilting her head to the side. She quickly sobered up once she saw Scootaloo's expression. "Ohh... my cousin! Right, right... listen, Mr. Skies," she said, changing her voice into a seductive one. She started rolling her hoof on his shoulders. "I live in a mares only hostel with a few girlfriends... you understand, don't you?" she asked, biting her lip for extra effect.

This was proven useless when Soarin pushed her away, turning back to the orange-coated mare. He groaned, looking into her pleading eyes.

"I already told you, Scootaloo, my answer is no. And there is now way you are going to change that. I haven't even met the boy! I don't even know what his family's like! For all I know, they could be some goons with no sense of self-respect at all," Soarin continued.

"Hey!" Sweetie Belle yelled from her static location. Soarin shot her a look, telling her silently to stay out of the matter. Sweetie Belle silently left the room.

"My. Answer. Is. No." Soarin whipped around, walking further into the room.

"Ugh! You're so mean!" Scootaloo shouted, just as her older sister walked into the room with a bunch of old clothes needing to be washed. (Most belonged to Scootaloo, of course).

"What's this I hear about my husband being mean?" she asked, setting down the basket and looking at her sister and the irritated light blue stallion.

"Rainbow Dash! Soarin isn't letting my best friend's cousin stay with us for a few weeks! Tell him that he's acting irrational!" Scootaloo said, trotting up to her older sister.

Rainbow Dash tutted. "Now now, Scoo, you know how he can be... I say you should just leave the matter be for now."

Scootaloo gaped at her. "Are you serious? Who are you and what have you done with my sister?" she exclaimed, facehoofing and walking back to her brother in-law. Soarin deadpanned her a look.

"My opinion is not changing, Scootaloo," he said.

Scootaloo breathed heavily, something clicking in her mind. She slowly turned back to her sister, giving her a sickly sweet smile.

"Rainbow Dash... he's come from Cloudsdale."

Rainbow Dash's demeanor instantly changed. Her eyes widened and the clothes she was holding in her hooves immediately dropped to the floor. She gasped; she gaped at her younger sister.

"C-Cloudsdale...?" she asked softly.

"Mhmm," Scootaloo said, rolling her mouth for extra effect, "the same Cloudsdale where you loved going as a young mare... remember that? I hear he's also coming from Ponyville."

That was enough for Rainbow Dash. She quickly left her spot in the room and ran up to her husband. She grabbed his shoulders and pulled him down to her level.

"Soarin, he's definitely staying here," she said, "he's coming from both of our hometowns! How can we not let him live with us for a little while?"

"Stop that! Scootaloo's trying to buy your support!" Soarin wailed, "you can't actually be falling for this, Dashie! C'mon!"

"But he's from-"

"I don't care! You think we should go to Ponyville and yell to the crowd, 'Hey, you guys should all come and live with us! We have two mad-mares already here! Why not a few more?'" Soarin mocked. Lilian Fly, who had now entered the room, sniggered at the remark.

At this point, Scootaloo had stepped in front of him.

"You're being rude!!!" she shouted in his face.

"Well, I don't care! He's not staying here, and that is fina-"

"He is staying here! And that is final! In fact, I am going to go to the front door and invite him inside right this moment!" Scootaloo said, crossing her hooves and strutting to the door.

Soarin gasped. "Hey! You come right back here, Missy!"

"Don't care~!" Scootaloo sang back, opening the front door. "Come in..." she said softly, letting someone inside the living room and going to stand besides her older sister. This was going to be fun to watch.

At that moment, a newcomer stepped inside the house. Soarin turned to look at the stallion, his eyes widening as he laid eyes on him.

It was a young stallion... he couldn't be more than a few years older than Scootaloo. He had a light-gray coat, with a mane and tail consisting of three colors: blue, yellow, and green. His eyes were bright pink, but they had some sort of haze over them; they were big, with large eyelids. He had a bright yellow mustache growing above his lip, and his wings were specked with blue feathers.

Soarin couldn't help but be immediately drawn to him. There was... there was something almost familiar about him, but he couldn't put his hoof on what it was.

The stallion had tears in his eyes. He had two heavy saddlebags on him; he placed one down on the floor next to him. He quickly wiped his eyes, trying to rid himself of the tears he was shedding.

Soarin was confused. Why was he crying? Had something happened before he arrived?

Soarin's eyebrows furrowed as he remembered what had just happened between him and Scootaloo before this. He coughed, looking back at the stallion with a peculiar stare.

"What is your name?" Soarin asked quietly. He didn't want to admit it, but he had taken an instant mental liking to this young lad. The stallion gulped.

"Uh... it's... it's Spectrum," he said, "Spectrum. That's my name."

Soarin's ears perked up, recognizing the familiar name of his father. Tears sparked his eyes as memories came flowing back to him, but he quickly shook his head from these thoughts. He slowly turned to Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash, who were both looking at him hopefully. Soarin sighed.

"He'll... he'll stay with us," Soarin said quietly, quickly making his way to the door.

"Thank you!" the stallion said quickly, making Soarin stop. He didn't look back at him, but he gulped and nodded his head, before leaving the room. "Thank you so much..."

"Come with me," Scootaloo said with ease, taking his hoof, "I'll lead you to your room."

"Thank you..." Speedy whispered, rubbing his eyes and following his friend.

Once they were a safe distance away from Rainbow Dash and Lilian, Scootaloo turned to Speedy.

"You did great," she said, squeezing his arm. Speedy gave her a weak smile as they entered the large guest room of the house. Speedy gaped at the mare in front of him as she started showing him around.

"Uh..."

"And this is where you'll be staying!" Scootaloo exclaimed, "I took the liberty to get it ready for you earlier today before you arrived. I knew Soarin was going to be stubborn, but I wasn't counting on something like that." She laughed.

Speedy bit his lip. "Scoots... this is... are you sure about giving me this room? Don't you think it's a little too big? I wouldn't want to be a burden on you or your family."

"Uh uh uh," Scootaloo tutted, "this is your family too, Speedy."

Speedy grinned in her direction, before the two sat themselves down on the bed.

"Not so fast," a new voice chimed in. Scootaloo and Speedy both perked up upon hearing the familiar voice. They turned around, just in time to see Soarin standing in the doorway, looking at them with a raised eyebrow. He turned to Speedy. "If you're going to stay with us, in my house, you are going to have to abide by some rules."

"Of course, anything at all," Speedy said, gulping as he looked at the figure of his brother. He was getting close to tears again, but he didn't let him fall.

"One, you will join us for all meals," Soarin said, "two, you will only be allowed to send two letters per week, and three," Soarin stopped, gesturing to Scootaloo, "stay away."

"Of course, Soarin," Speedy said with a slight bow. Soarin twisted his lips and gave Scootaloo an unsure look, but he didn't press the matter.

"And can you please do something about your mustache?"

Scootaloo instantly bent over, howling in laughter. The color drained from Speedy's face; he shot Scootaloo a look, which Scootaloo only countered with a heavy smirk. She wiped tears of mirth from her eyes, pointing at her friend.

"Y-you... bahahaaha!" she burst into a fit of giggles once again, "I-I... I TOLD YOU!"

"I'm not really sure what just happened here," Soarin said, looking between the two of them, "and I'm sorry if that offended you, but the facial hair just makes you look too old. You can't be very old... how old are you, anyway?"

"Twenty-four. My birthday's next week," Speedy said quickly. Soarin nodded.

"Right, so the same age as Scootaloo... my third rule still applies, alright? Stay away," he said cautiously. Scootaloo and Speedy both blushed, but nodded. Soarin quickly looked at the two of them again, before spreading his wings and leaving the room.

"He hasn't changed one bit," Speedy said softly. Scootaloo smiled; she placed her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

"You haven't either."