• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 6,419 Views, 974 Comments

Happiness and Tears - flaminkomage



Soarin Skies, adopted son of two rich and famous athletes, is forced to follow family traditions; his father's legacy. Following through all but one, he fails to stop himself from falling for an ordinary village mare; Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
19
 974
 6,419

Chapter 3: The Husband?

Happiness and Tears

RDcrystalheart

Chapter 3: The Husband?


Soarin wandered in the direction where Applejack had pointed out, and started hearing progressively louder music.

"What the..." he mumbled under his breath, coming through a clearing to a giant platform.

It looked like the entire town had come to celebrate this wedding. Ponies were eating, playing, dancing, and just having fun with one another.

He started to search for the mare he had originally come for, remembering her name. Rainbow Dash, she shouldn't be that hard to find. Just... look for rainbows, right?

This task proved much easier than he had first expected, because right there, in the middle of all the commotion, was a mare. A cyan blue mare, with a shock of rainbow resting on her forehead. Rainbow Dash. Soarin instantly knew.

She was dancing. Her mane swinging around behind her. Her movements so intense, anyone could see them from a mile away. Soarin stared at her, simply dumbfounded.

Any ordinary pony would look past this mare, concluding that she was just as crazy as the rest of the ponies in this town, but Soarin was different.

There was something drawing him towards her. Something making him want to pounce right into the spot next to her. Something that made him want to dance with her...

Something that made him want to be with her.

He cautiously approached the mare, her mane flicking in his face once, before quickly moving around. She faced him in surprise.

"Hello, I'm new here, and was looking for-" Soarin started, before being cut off.

"Applejack? Oh! You must be Key!" she exclaimed excitedly. Soarin raised an eyebrow.

"Key? Who's that?" he asks curiously. Dash grinned.

"Applejack told me you were supposed to be funny, I can see what she means! You two will be very happy together!" she said, beginning to trot out in front of him. "Come on, I'll show you to the shop."

Soarin, relieved that he was finally getting what he first wanted, sighed and quickly fluttered his way over to the cyan mare. She beamed, looking him over.

"Though, I do remember AJ telling me you were going to be an earth pony..." she said, quirking her eyebrows. Soarin, still not having a clue of what she was talking about, simply shrugged. Letting the matter slide into nothing.


"Scootaloo! Scootaloo!" Rainbow Dash called out, pushing the door open to the small pharmacy. Soarin followed closely behind, making sure to look around for Speedy too.

Scootaloo and Speedy were both sitting on the couch awkwardly. Like they had just flung on there last second as they heard the door open. Soarin spotted Speedy's angry face, and knew the two were having a fight.

"There you are," Dash said, trotting over to Scootaloo, and gesturing over to Soarin.

"This is Key, AJ's future husband," she introduced, oblivious to the truth. Scootaloo looked over to Soarin, and smirked, knowing well what was really happening.

"Oh, this is Key, is it?" she started, getting up and sticking out a hoof. "Nice to meet you... Key. I'm Scootaloo."

"Uh... pleasure?" Soarin said uncertainly. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, and dragged him over to the counter.

"So... what do you like to do in your free time?" she asked. Soarin raised an eyebrow.

"Er... I go flying a lot," he said. Dash perked up.

"Flying? Me too!" she exclaimed. "Favorite sport?"

"Air hoofball," Soarin instantly relied. Dash grinned.

"Sweet Celestia, same!" she said, just as the doorbell rung. "I'LL GET IT!"

Soarin watched after the quick mare as she scurried over to the front door of the shop. She really was something. A little crazy, she got a little too overexcited at times, but she definitely was a pony worth taking note of.

Rainbow Dash returned a few minutes later with a newspaper in her hooves. She was scanning the text with a bored expression. She quickly looked up, and into the eyes of Soarin.

Dash threw the paper in front of him, and shrugged.

"The paper just came in. I was just reading an article on the Wonderbolts," she said. Soarin tilted his head, and picked up the newspaper with a curious vibe. He had never gotten to read what the press thought of his team... so this was a first.

On the front page, there was a giant picture of Soarin's family. The captain team. His father, Spectrum, standing tall with his wings wide open. His mother, Cloudy, with her head resting on Spectrum's shoulder. Soarin was besides them, with a cheeky grin, and giving Speedy a rough noogie.

He closely examined the picture. The family really did look good. But one thing was standing out the most. Their pride. You could easily tell from Spectrum's facial expression that he was a stallion of great importance. That his team would one day lead Equestria to great victory. His legacy would never be broken.

Soarin then thought back to the time when he was given the legacy talk. Just like Speedy had. But since he was the eldest son of the family. Spectrum went far deeper into the topic than he had with his younger child.

There were so many things that Soarin had heard that day. Mostly about how disappointed Spectrum would be if he ever were to betray him. From then on, Soarin knew he couldn't do anything to let his father down.

Spectrum was a stallion of many words. Some wise, other's not so much. But at times, he could be quite stubborn. He had a tendency to act in the moment. Failing to process things in his mind before blurting them out loud.

It could be quite frustrating, to be frankly honest.

"Uh... hello?" a voice sliced through his thoughts. Soarin looked up to see Rainbow Dash with an impatient look plastered across her face. Soarin chuckled nervously, before sliding the newspaper away.

Dash quickly picked up the paper and looked at the picture of Soarin's family again. She tutted.

"The Skies family; big and rich," she started. Soarin looked up. She was starting to talk about his family. "Sure, they seem nice and all, but I'm positive they're actually all stuck up snobbish brutes, especially this guy," she said, pointing to Spectrum Skies; Soarin's father.

Soarin raised any eyebrow. "What's wrong with Da- I mean... Spectrum?" he asked, quickly fixing his mistake as he said it. Dash shrugged, and examined the picture.

"He seems... distant. I don't know, just a thought. Oh, and look at this dude, what's his name, Soarin Skies?" Dash guessed, looking at the portrait closely. "I bet he's the worst of the entire family."

Soarin snorted, and shook his head. If only she knew... he thought to himself with a small smile. Dash quirked her eyebrows, and looked up to him.

"Say, he looks exactly like- wait..." she started, trailing off at the end. Soarin only nodded, holding out a hoof.

"Name's Soarin. Soarin Skies," he said, staring at Dash's dumbfounded look. "Son of... the snobbish brute."

Dash gasped, as her face scrunched up. Her eyebrows lowered, and she plastered a whine face on.

"Eek..." she mumbled, before semi-crying loudly. Soarin's eyes widened, as he quickly jumped and held her.

"Oh! Oh! Sorry, sorry! Didn't mean to make you cry and all..." he said uncertainly. Dash sniffled.

She pointed to the paper, to the picture of Soarin, and then to the stallion standing in front of her. She had a pained expression on, as she repeatedly pointed back and forth, from the paper to Soarin.

Soarin kept nodding.

"Alas, sorry to disappoint. I knew you were expecting some other stallion, but got stuck with bad ol' me," he teased. Dash shook her head.

"Why are you here?" she said in a low voice. Soarin shrugged.

"Actually, I came with my little brother Speedy, are you going to call him names too?" he asked her with a raised eyebrow. Dash quickly shook her head. "Good. Anyway, I came with Speedy for a package of medicines. I heard you worked at a pharmacy, so your little sister Scootaloo led me here," he said.

Dash sighed. "What was it that you needed?" she asked, deciding to be polite and not risk upsetting him. Soarin shrugged.

"Just give me something like this," he said, pulling out a piece of paper Spectrum had given him. Dash looked it over, and nodded, disappearing into the heart of the shop.

She returned a few minutes later with a few bottles in her hooves, tossing them to Soarin.

"Great! Thanks. How much will that be?" he asked. Dash shook her head with a frustrated groan.

"Nothing, nothing. Just take it," she said. Obviously because of her little slip-up from before. Soarin shrugged, throwing a bag of bits to her.

"Keep the change," he said, beckoning Speedy over. The two nodded, and quietly left the shop without another word.

A few seconds later, the door opened again, welcoming a little orange stallion.

"Oi. I'm Key," he said, waving to Rainbow Dash, who had an angry expression on her face still from what had happened with Soarin. She looked over.

"And I'm Princess Celestia, great."

Author's Note:

Just wanted to make something clear- Scootaloo is Dash's real sister in this story. ;0

Also, sorry for the long-ish wait. School is kinda horrible to me. ;)))

Anyway, thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed! ^^