• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 6,419 Views, 974 Comments

Happiness and Tears - flaminkomage



Soarin Skies, adopted son of two rich and famous athletes, is forced to follow family traditions; his father's legacy. Following through all but one, he fails to stop himself from falling for an ordinary village mare; Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
19
 974
 6,419

Chapter 2: An Ordinary Mare

Happiness and Tears

RDcrystalheart

Chapter 2: An Ordinary Mare


"But Soarin, I don't want to go to boarding school!" Speedy whined to his older brother as they boarded the flying taxi. Soarin shrugged, as he gestured for the drivers to take off.

"Honestly Speedy, it doesn't matter. If you're Skies' blood, you gotta go, whether you like it or not," he said with a wink. Speedy groaned, and shook his head.

"Now's not really the time for jokes, Soarin," he said. Soarin chuckled, and nodded.

"You're right, you're right. I'll stop, even though I won't like it," he said. Speedy glared ahead of him, and crossed his hooves in annoyance.

"Soarin, why do I have to go?" he asked. Soarin sighed, and draped a hoof around the younger colt. "Do Mom and Dad not love me? Is that why they're sending me away?"

"Now Speedy, you know how true that is- HEY!" Soarin started, before being interrupted by a hard punch in his left shoulder. Speedy growled at his brother, before slumping back down in his seat.

"SOARIN!" he whined again.

"Alright, alright. I'll stop, even though I won't like it," Soarin repeated again. Speedy sighed, before slumping back down in his seat.

"Do Mom and Dad think I'm a disgrace to the family? That I shouldn't even be living in their house?" he asked. Soarin lightly tutted, and wrapped a hoof around the colt.

"Speedy, you know that's true- HEY!" he started, before being interrupted again by his brother, who punched his shoulder. "Well, ouch," Soarin said sarcastically. "You know I'm just teasing you."

"Yeah, but still. It's not fair. Can't you go for me?" Speedy asked. Soarin simply shook his head no. The younger colt groaned, just as the carriage landed with a thump on the ground.

"Oh look! We're here!" Soarin said cheerfully, trying to lighten the mood. Speedy looked up at him, and shook his head.

"Agh..." he moaned. Soarin frowned.

"We'll talk more about this later, okay?" he said, as he helped his brother out of his seat. Speedy shrugged.

"Whatever... why are we here again?"

"To pick up supplies for Grandma," Soarin replied. Speedy nodded.

"Where do we need to go to get them, then?" he asked. Soarin quirked his eyebrows.

"I'm... not really sure. Maybe we can ask one of the locals if they know," he said, waving the drivers of their ride goodbye.

"That mare seems friendly, why don't we ask her?" Speedy asked, pointing to a random orange pegasus filly. Soarin looked down at the colt, and nodded, as the two began fluttered over to the stranger.

"Uh... excuse me?" Soarin started, making the mare turn around. She eyed him closely, before turning to Speedy. By the looks of it, she was around the same age as him.

"Come looking for trouble?" she suddenly asked, walking a few inches closer to the colt. Speedy gulped.

"What?" he asked nervously.

"I'll have you know that there is no way you're going to be messing with this wedding," she continued. Speedy looked over to Soarin with a terrified look.

"What wedding?" Soarin suddenly spoke up. The mare turned to him with a smug smile.

"The wedding of my big sister's best friend, of course," she said like it was obvious. Soarin opened his mouth to speak, but decided against it.

"Who's your sister?" Speedy asked. The mare laughed.

"You must be new around here," she said. Soarin and Speedy both nodded. "Thought so," she finished, sticking out a hoof. "The name's Scootaloo," she said, blowing back her short purple mane.

"Oh! Well, nice to meet you, Scootaloo. I was wondering where the nearest... uh... hospital, was?" Soarin asked uncertainly. Scootaloo raised her eyebrow.

"Hospital? Why would you need a hospital? You don't look very sick to me," she said. Soarin nodded.

"Not for me, for a family member," he said. Scootaloo shrugged.

"What are you looking for, though?" she asked.

"A few medicines," Soarin said.

"Well why didn't you just say so? My sister works at a local pharmacy. She might be able to help you get a few things on a discount," Scootaloo said, beginning to trot ahead. "Come on, I'll lead you there!"

Once she was a safe enough distance away, Speedy turned to Soarin.

"I don't like her."


"Honestly, Applejack. I don't see the reason why you're so worked up about this," a cyan mare said to an orange mare as she put a few boxes in a package. "I mean, all you have to do is go and marry that dude."

"Yeah, a dude who I've never even met before!" her friend replied. "Rainbow Dash, how would you feel if your parents had set up an arranged marriage for you before they passed away?"

"I dunno, probably not very good," Rainbow Dash replied with a slight smile. Applejack frowned.

"Exactly! Dash, I don't want to do this! And-" she started, before being cut off.

"AJ! The ceremony's beginning!" Dash said suddenly, as faint music was heard from outside the shop. Applejack snapped her head towards the door, before her hoof was grasped tightly and she was led outside.

"Rainbow Dash! Let go of me right this instance!" she yelled as Dash spun her and started dancing.

"No way! This is the best part about any wedding! Come on! Dance with me!" she yelled over the progressively louder music. Applejack just shook her head, and started trotting away. "Suit yourself," Dash said, shrugging and continuing her motive.


"Here we are!" Scootaloo said, pointing her hoof towards a small corner shop. Soarin looked around him in awe. It was such a quiet, peaceful town. A few breaks between every couple of straw houses. Nothing like Cloudsdale.

Scootaloo walked into the building, just as loud music began to play around the three ponies. Soarin and Speedy raised an eyebrow at each other, and turned to the young orange mare.

"What's that?" they both asked together. Scootaloo rolled her eyes.

"Honestly, haven't you guys ever been to a wedding before?" she asked, walking into the shop. Soarin and Speedy both shook their head no, as Scootaloo sighed and started calling a name.

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!" she cried, but received no answer. She quickly put two and two together, and nervously turned back around. "They're probably outside, the ceremony's starting. My sister's big on dancing and all," she explained.

"Well, then we should go outside, right? I need to get back home before sunset," Soarin said.

"Say, where do do you live exactly?" Scootaloo asked.

"We live in Cloudsdale," Speedy jumped in. Scootaloo's eyes widened.

"Cloudsdale? But that's where all the big important pegasi ponies live! Who are you?" she asked suspiciously. Soarin nervously laughed, and shrugged.

"That's not important. I need to talk to your sister. Speedy and I are really running tight on schedule right now," he said. Scootaloo turned to the younger stallion.

"Speedy? Is that your name?" she asked. Speedy nodded.

"Uh... yes?" he said. Scootaloo groaned.

"Such a cliché name..." she muttered under her breath.


Soarin roamed through the streets of Ponyville curiously, trying to remember what Scootaloo had told him. The grounds were just a few blocks away, and he could use the music to guide him through the town.

An orange mare with a dirty-blonde mane suddenly jumped at him out of nowhere, as the two of them screamed.

"Ah!" Soarin yelped. Applejack looked at him in surprise, before dusting herself off and helping him up.

"Sweet Celestia, mighty sorry," she apologized. Soarin nodded.

"That's alright, but, I had a quick question," he said. Applejack nodded.

"I'm looking for a mare named Rainbow Dash, do you know where I could find her?" he asked. The mare's eyes widened, as she nodded.

"Yeah, why're you looking for her?" she asked.

"Her sister told me she works at a medical store. I needed to buy a few things," Soarin explained.

"If Scootaloo trusts you, then you're probably okay," she said. "The name's Applejack. My wedding's in a few days, Rainbow Dash is just around the corner over there."

"Oh... okay, thank you. Any chance you could tell me what she looks like? I don't want to stumble into the wrong pony," Soarin said with an embarrassed smile.

"Oh trust me, you'll know when you see her," Applejack said, before trotting away with a smile.

Author's Note:

I'm so sorry for the super short chapter- but I wanted the rest of this part of the story to be done in a separate chapter. X3 You'll have to wait a few more days to get to read it...

Anywho, we're just starting to get introduced to Dash's side of the family. Trust me, there's a lot more you need to know before making any assumptions. XD

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed the chapter! (Even if it was, like, super short.)