• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 6,398 Views, 974 Comments

Happiness and Tears - flaminkomage



Soarin Skies, adopted son of two rich and famous athletes, is forced to follow family traditions; his father's legacy. Following through all but one, he fails to stop himself from falling for an ordinary village mare; Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
19
 974
 6,398

Chapter 23: Welcome to Manehattan

Happiness and Tears

RDcrystalheart

Chapter 23: Welcome to Manehattan


Scootaloo sat idly in the living room of the Ponyville cottage, waiting for her sister to arrive back from the Wonderbolt's mansion. She didn't know what to expect upon their arrival, but she could only hope for the best.

The door creaked open gently; Scootaloo got up out of her seat to greet Rainbow Dash and Soarin as they entered the house. Lilian followed close behind, and the three of them had pecks of tears pooling around their eyes. Scootaloo gasped softly, instantly knowing what had happened.

"Rainbow Dash...?" she called softly. Said rainbow-maned mare looked up and into the boring eyes of her younger sister. She shook her head, letting her know of the outcome of the visit. Soarin walked up to her, placing a hoof on her shoulder and sighing.

"We're moving away, Scoots," he said solemnly, "there really isn't any other option."

"But I thought you said everything was going to be okay!" Scootaloo exclaimed, close to tears by now. "I thought you guys had everything under control!"

"That's what we thought too," Rainbow Dash spoke, "but turns out Spectrum wasn't as understanding as we thought he would be."

"Well what did you expect?!" Scootaloo yelled, causing the entire room to go deadly silent. "What did you think? He didn't even want Soarin to marry you! Why would you think marrying each other behind his back would cause him any grief or consent!?"

"What in Equestria are you talking about, Scootaloo?" Rainbow Dash said, moving closer to the younger mare. Scootaloo's gaze only hardened further.

"I knew this was going to happen! I just knew it! Speedy had warned me ages ago of his suspicions... I guess I just thought that you two would understand too," she said. Soarin's eyes widened.

"It wasn't our choice," he started quietly, "how were we supposed to know he was going to be so bad?"

"Well of course you'd say that! Now that it's happened," Scootaloo exclaimed. "Look, I'm happy for you guys and everything, don't get me wrong. I've always wanted Rainbow Dash to be happy, and I know you are the only real pony who can do that, but you can't possibly think that everything will soon turn back to normal. If not now, it will take ages for any one of you to turn back around into what you initially thought."

"Woah there, Scoots," Rainbow Dash cut in, "speak English, please. I don't know where you learned those heavy words," she said, attempting to lighten the mood a bit. Scootaloo's glare hardened.

"Oh don't act like you don't understand me," she said harshly. Rainbow Dash gulped, taking a step back as with Soarin. Lilian looked at the young mare, her eyes twinkling as she realized what was going on. She stepped forward, hoping to talk some sense into her.

"This is about Speedy, isn't it," she said softly. Scootaloo sniffed, turning away and crossing her hooves against her chest tightly.

"I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," she said firmly. Lilian rolled her eyes, putting her hooves on her shoulders and attempting to turn her around.

"You're afraid," Lilian said softly; Scootaloo let out an inaudible gasp. "You're afraid that everything is going to change... you're afraid that you might not ever see Speedy again... you're afraid of change, Scoots. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that," she continued, "I'm afraid too, you know."

"You are..?" Scootaloo asked, now finally turned completely to face the light blue mare. Lilian smiled, and nodded.

"Of course I am," she said. Scootaloo bit her lip, before turning to Rainbow Dash and Soarin.

"I'm okay now," she said. Rainbow Dash let go of her hold on Soarin and walked up to her sister. The two embraced in a close hug, before Soarin spoke up.

"When do you guys want to leave?" he asked quietly. Rainbow Dash gulped, pulling away from her little sister. She turned to Soarin and gave him a firm nod.

"As soon as possible. Right now, if we must," she said. Soarin's eyes widened.

"Are you sure, Dashie?" he asked. Rainbow Dash nodded.

"Yes," she said. Lilian spoke up suddenly.

"I think that would be best as well. It seems only fitting to get out of here pronto," she said. Soarin nodded, turning to Scootaloo.

"What do you think, Scoots?" he asked, bending down to her level. Scootaloo shut her eyes tight, thinking it over to herself.

"I say we leave right now," she said. Soarin chuckled under his breath despite the situation.

"Then let's go," he said.

"Just one question," Scootaloo interrupted, "where are we going?"


"Welcome to Manehattan."

Soarin flew slightly ahead of the pack, eyeing the different directions of the large city. Rainbow Dash flew a little behind him, Scootaloo on her back as they made their way inside the town. Lilian flew to Soarin's left, glancing every now and then towards Scootaloo to make sure she was alright.

"You doing okay, Scootaloo?" Lilian called towards her. Rainbow Dash looked over to her little sister who was now clinging to her neck like her life depended on it.

"I'm fine," Scootaloo yelled back. Rainbow Dash smiled.

"Are you sure you don't want to fly yourself?" she asked. Scootaloo quickly shook her head.

"Rainbow Dash, you know how I feel about flying, especially going long distances. And we're so high up! How do you guys even survive all the way up here?" she asked.

"Easy!" Soarin replied, tilting his head back slightly as the four pegasi turned a sharp left into a more secluded part of the city. "Forget about your fears, and just go for it! Flying is... flying is my entire life!"

Scootaloo didn't look too convinced.

"Come on Scoots, don't tell me you've never wanted to fly freely over Equestria," Rainbow Dash said. Scootaloo shrugged and replied half-heartedly.

"Meh," was all she said. Rainbow Dash frowned.

"I'm gonna let gooo," she taunted. Scootaloo's eyes widened as her hold on her sister grew tighter.

"NO!" she yelled, but was too late.

Rainbow Dash smirked as she slipped away from Scootaloo, making sure the distance between them was still relatively short incase anything were to happen. Scootaloo screamed, flailing her hooves around wildly as she began to fall from the sky. Rainbow Dash stuck below her, laughing as she saw what was happening.

"YOU DO HAVE WINGS, YOU KNOW!" she yelled, causing Scootaloo to stop. Scootaloo grimaced as she opened her wings, flapping them hard in the air.

"THIS IS JUST DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS!" she yelled back, "IS THIS EVEN LEGAL?!"

"OH MY GOD RAINBOW DASH!!" Soarin suddenly yelled, looking at the scene in awe. "SHE'S YOUR SISTER FOR PONY'S SAKE!!"

"THIS IS PRICELESS!" Lilian jumped in. Scootaloo kept flapping, surprisingly holding up besides the three of them.

"YOU ALL ARE MAD! MAD I TELL YOU!" she yelled. Rainbow Dash, Soarin and Lilian chuckled whole-heartedly besides her, as the four of them made their way into the secluded town.

"Oh this is beautiful!" Lilian exclaimed as they landed softly on the grass below. (Scootaloo's landing a little more choppy than the others'). Soarin smiled.

"Yeah... I've always wanted to come here," he said.

"Where are we staying, though?" Rainbow Dash asked, trotting besides her husband.

"Well, we're now the proud owners of Estate Twelve!" Soarin said, sucking out his chest with pride. Rainbow Dash quirked her eyebrow, her expression turning curious.

"Estate Twelve?" she asked. Soarin grinned, before beckoning them all to follow him.

The four walked through the small town, smiling at all the happy school-ponies and the cheeriness of the rest. It really was quite cozy, this part of the city.

"This," Soarin started, "is Estate Twelve."

They were standing in front of a large cottage. A lot bigger than Dash and Scootaloo's old house in Ponyville, but smaller than the mansion in Cloudsdale. The roof was made of light-coated wood, and the top part was a dark tan color. The bottom half was red brick, and there was a single rainbow waterfall flowing from a window on the third floor. There were large plants covering the right side of the house, and left side was occupied by bird houses. A small garden was visible to the back of the cottage.

It was beautiful.

"Welcome home?" Scootaloo said softly.

"Welcome home..." Soarin breathed, wrapping a hoof around Rainbow Dash as she leaned on his shoulder.

Author's Note:

Heh...

Okay Soarin is literally the most adorable thing ever in that picture XDD *shows off my own almost-half-smoulder*

Now hang on tight, 'cause things are about to get bumpy for our favorite couple~