• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 6,416 Views, 974 Comments

Happiness and Tears - flaminkomage



Soarin Skies, adopted son of two rich and famous athletes, is forced to follow family traditions; his father's legacy. Following through all but one, he fails to stop himself from falling for an ordinary village mare; Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
19
 974
 6,416

Chapter 29: Ten Years Later

Author's Note:

This has got to be one of my favorite chapters. :rainbowlaugh:

Happiness and Tears

Ink Mage

Chapter 29: Ten Years Later


"Equestria... the land I love... a land of harmony... our flag does wave... from high above... for pony kind to see..."

Rainbow Dash's voice filled the large cottage as a wake up alarm for everypony sleeping peacefully in their respective rooms. She smiled as she started preparing herself for the day, walking around the house in an attempt to awaken somepony.

"Equestria... a land of friends... where pony kind do roam... they say true friendship never ends... Equestria my-"

"MOOOOOOOOMMM!!!" two unmistakable voice cut her off. Rainbow Dash furrowed her eyebrows as two ponies emerged from the room in front of her.

Stronghold and Soarin rubbed their eyes as they took out their earplugs; which were undoubtedly used to cut out Rainbow Dash's voice. Stronghold trotted up to his mother, causing her to pout childishly.

"You really need to quit singing every morning," he said, "it's gotten a little annoying."

Rainbow Dash gasped, about to reply before her husband cut her off by placing his hoof on her lips. "Yeah, Mom," he shot her a wink, "it's sooo annoying."

"Shut it, you," Rainbow Dash said, crossing her hooves and walking downstairs with her son in front of her. Soarin laughed, following closely behind as they made their way to the breakfast table.

"Mornin', Rainbow Dash, Strongy," Lilian said, walking into the room.

"My my, Lilian, you're healing up nicely," Soarin commented, sticking a stale piece of toast into his mouth. Lilian smiled in his direction, making herself a bowl of cereal.

"Yeah, my leg's almost completely healed!" she said happily.

"Fun," Stronghold said, sitting down at the breakfast table. He turned to Rainbow Dash. "Say, where's Scootaloo?" he asked her.

"Come to think of it, I haven't seen her at all since yesterday morning when she left for that party," Lilian piped up, before shouting up the stairs, "SCOOTALOO!!"

Rainbow Dash scoffed. "Oh please, Lilian. We all know she doesn't answer to that name anymore."

"Oh yes, that's right, I keep forgetting about that new silly name she's brought up for herself," Lilian said, nodding, before both mare's cleared their throat.

"SCOO!!"

At that moment, a young mare waltzed into the room, flinging her furry pink scarf over her shoulder. Dark eyeliner and mascara coated her eyelids, and three ear piercings flaunted themselves on the edges of her right earlobe. A fake mole was drawn on at the edge of the corner of her mouth, and her hair was perfectly styled in a way that was neither short nor long, and messy but not too messy. She was wearing a long flowing midnight blue dress that showed way too much flank for anyone's liking.

Scootaloo had definitely changed the most in the ten years of living in Manehattan.

Soarin instantly gasped upon looking at her attire.

"What in the name of Equestria are you wearing?!" he bellowed, storming up to his sister-in-law. Scootaloo scoffed, flipping her mane in a way that it would spray all over Soarin's face.

"It's called an outfit. And if you had an ounce of sense in you, you'd go to work wearing something darling like me!" she said, flaunting her way to the breakfast table. Soarin gasped.

"Don't use that tone with me!" he said in a harsh whisper.

Rainbow Dash and Lilian couldn't hold back their laughs as they doubled over, clutching their sides. Stronghold smiled widely at Scootaloo as the took a piece of perfectly cooked toast from the toaster.

"Good morning, Aunty!" he said happily, biting into his muffin. Scootaloo snapped her head in her nephew's direction, shooting him a glare.

"Good morning to you too, Stronghold. I see you're keeping up that attitude and diet well. Oh and, don't call me Aunty," she reminded him for the thousandth time.

Stronghold shrugged, just as the doorbell rung.

"Oh!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "That'll be the mailpony!"

She quickly made her way to the door, but to her horror, somepony else was waiting there.

"Good evening Mrs. Skies!!" a painfully fake voice said.

"Lightning Dust," Rainbow Dash glared.

"Oh stop it, Rainbow. You'd think after being neighbors for ten years now, you'd have grown accustomed to my awesomeness, hmm?" Lightning Dust asked, placing her hooves on the filly in front of her.

Rainbow Dash scoffed. "As if," she said, "now what do you want?"

"Well, I'm running late to work, so I was just wondering if you could drop Sandy to school for me?" Lightning Dust asked with a fake smile. Rainbow Dash frowned, looking at the young turquoise colored filly in front of her. Sand Bolt looked back up into her magenta eyes.

"Agh, Lightning," she said with a roll of her eyes, taking Sand Bolt's hoof and leading her inside.

"Lovely. Simply lovely," Lightning Dust said, before spreading her wings and flying away.

Rainbow Dash stared after her figure with a glare. "Bloody liar..." she muttered under her breath, before walking back inside the house with Sand Bolt.

"Who was it, Dashie?" Soarin asked as they reentered the kitchen.

"Your future daughter-in-law," Rainbow Dash said simply, leading Sand Bolt down into the chair besides Stronghold's.

"My future... wait, my future what?" Soarin asked, turning to Sand Bolt and then looking back at Stronghold. Stronghold had a dreamy expression on and Sand Bolt looked bored. He clicked his tongue, before turning to the filly. "Ooh... you like Stronghold, Sandy?" he asked.

"Absolutely not," Sand Bolt said, crossing her hooves.

Stronghold turned to Soarin. "She'll like me one day, it's all a matter of time," he explained, earning a chuckle from Soarin.

"Right right. You're way too young to be thinking about this stuff, Strongy. Enjoy your childhood while it lasts," he said with a wink. Stronghold shrugged, turning back to Sand Bolt.

"Anyway, I'll be off," Scootaloo said, flinging her mane and stepping towards the main door. "Don't expect me tonight, I'll be late," she said, shooting them all a glance and exiting the house.

Rainbow Dash shook her head, sighing to herself as she watched her sister leave.

"I never understood what happened to her."