• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 6,416 Views, 974 Comments

Happiness and Tears - flaminkomage



Soarin Skies, adopted son of two rich and famous athletes, is forced to follow family traditions; his father's legacy. Following through all but one, he fails to stop himself from falling for an ordinary village mare; Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
19
 974
 6,416

Chapter 19: Don't Leave Me

Happiness and Tears

RDcrystalheart

Chapter 19: Don't Leave Me


"So I heard Speedy went to college yesterday," Rainbow Dash said as she and Scootaloo sat in their living room a few days later. Scootaloo only nodded sadly in reply.

"I know..." she mumbled. Dash gave her a sympathetic smile.

"You doing alright?" she asked. Scootaloo shrugged.

"Whatever." She got up and began walking away. Rainbow Dash groaned, leaning back in her seat as her father walked in. Blaze shot her a pained grin and took a seat besides her.

"Dad?! Are you okay?" Rainbow Dash asked, putting a hoof on his shoulder. Blaze bit his lip, seeming to fight something in his mind. He nodded.

"I'm fine, Cherie," he said softly. Rainbow Dash didn't look so certain.

"I can tell something's up. What's going on, Dad?" she asked, her voice dripping with concern. Blaze took a struggling breath, before looking at his daughter straight in her deep magenta eyes.

"My heart is failing, Rainbow Dash," he suddenly said. "I haven't got much time yet."

Rainbow Dash's eyes widened as she gaped at her father in shock.

"What?! But the doctors said you were getting better!" she exclaimed. Blaze only shook his head.

"Things got out of control, and we don't have enough money to pay for doctor services anymore," he explained. "Without the bits, I can't get an operation."

"But there has to be some other way! Dad... I can't lose you," Rainbow Dash said, burying her face in her hooves. Blaze smiled at her.

"Hey, honey... I may not have much time left... heck, I could go any day now... but please promise me something," he said, lifting Dash's chin up to look at him.

"What?" Rainbow Dash asked in a quiet voice.

"Promise me you'll find happiness," Blaze said in a voice just above a whisper. "Promise me you'll not only find a way to be free again, but your sister too."

Rainbow Dash looked up at him in shock.

"Scootaloo is just a filly, Rainy... she still doesn't know the many dangers of the world. I'm trusting that you'll keep her safe, and out of harms way," Blaze continued.

"Dad..."

"Please, Rainbow Dash... please fulfill a dying stallion's last wish..."

"DAD!" Dash suddenly cried, latching onto her father as if her life depended on it. Hers didn't... but his definitely did. Blaze gasped as she made contact with him, smiling weakly and pulling her closer.

"Don't you worry pretty little thing... you'll lose me... but you won't lose your mother, or your sister. You'll still have ponies to look out for you... you won't be alone... you won't be alone... I'll make sure of it."

"Dad... is it really time?" Dash asked softly. Blaze only nodded, pulling his oldest daughter closer to his heart. She gasped upon hearing it's extremely soft thud.

"I'm afraid so... you'll be alright, okay?" Blaze said, stroking her mane as Dash's sobs erupted.

Rainbow Dash cried and cried, and cried like she never had before, since she knew it was time. It was time to say goodbye to the stallion who had always supported her, who had been there all throughout her life... her father, who she loved to dearly and would never forget, no matter where life took her.

"Anyway, I'm going to go get some water, alright?" Blaze said, pushing her away gently. Rainbow Dash nodded, sitting back down on the small sofa as her father got up slowly and trotted into the kitchen.

Dash took this moment to think to herself.

What was going on with Soarin? He usually sent her letters almost every day, but she hadn't heard from him in a while. Was something wrong? Did Soarin's dad do anything?

Rainbow Dash knew very well that if she lost him, she wouldn't be able to live with herself anymore. Her father was already on the verge of dying, Scootaloo was isolating herself because of Speedy, her mother was never much of a help... and if she lost Soarin, she would be completely alone.

Rainbow Dash hated being alone.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a crash from the kitchen. The crinkling of glass followed, as Rainbow quickly heaved herself up and ran into the room.

She stood in the doorway, looking down on the ground in absolute shock.

Rainbow Blaze was lying there, and he wasn't breathing.


"No... no... no no no no no..." Rainbow Dash mumbled continuously as she leaned forward and knelt in front of her lifeless father. Tears began welling up in her eyes as she shouted endlessly. "No! NO! NOOOOOOOOO!"

She gulped, biting her lip as she threatened to explode in cries. No. She had to stay strong.

"MOM! MOOOOOOM! SCOOTALOO! SCOOTALOO! MOM! MOM! SCOOTALOO!" she kept yelling, her throat beginning to choke up. Firefly came rushing into the room, looking upon the scene.

Her eyes widened as her heart melted as she saw her husband dead on the floor.

"BLAZE! NO! NOOO!!!!!!" she wailed, collapsing and sobbing hard.

Scootaloo ran into the room, already with a pretty certain idea on what was going on. Once she laid eyes on her father on the ground and the shattered glass on the other side of the room, her heart stopped.

"DADDY?! DADDY?!!!" she screamed. She never called her father that unless of dire emergency. Rainbow Dash's jaw was still wide open as she began screaming and pushing her little sister away.

"QUICK YOU ROTTEN FOOL! CALL THE POLICE! AN AMBULANCE! SOMETHING! IDIOT!" Rainbow Dash was ranting now, and Scootaloo knew it. She didn't take her words to heart as she quickly nodded and left the room.

"Blaze... Blaze... no... no no no... no it isn't true... BLAZE DON'T LEAVE ME! PLEASE! I'LL KILL MYSELF PLEASE!!!" Firefly kept screaming as Dash began pacing around the room.

"WHERE IS THAT WRECKED SCOOTALOO? SCOOTALOO FIREFLY DASH!!! GET THE HELL IN HERE!!!"

Scootaloo came rushing back in with a nod. "I've got medical ponies on the line. They should be here any minute now," she said. Rainbow Dash collapsed at her sister's hooves and began wailing her eyes out.

"S-S-S-Sc-c-c-cootal-l-loo..." she stammered out. "SCOOTALOO PLEASE... PLEASE STAY WITH ME PLEASE."

"I'm not going anywhere, Rainbow Dash... I'm here, calm down..." Scootaloo tried rubbing circles on her sister's back, but nothing seemed to work on the restless cyan mare.

Three medical ponies barged into the room and observed the scene. Without a word, they picked up Blaze's lifeless body and carried him out onto a tram, where they laid him inside.

Rainbow Dash spread her wings wide, along with Firefly. Dash bent down, allowing a teary-eyed Scootaloo to climb onto her back, as the three took off towards the hospital.

"Don't leave us yet, Dad..."


Rainbow Dash walked through the hallways of the Ponyville hospital, mumbling things to herself. Scootaloo was sitting on a bench nearby, watching her sister's worried pace.

"Rainbow Dash, stop pacing and sit down for a bit. It's going to be alright," she assured. Rainbow Dash shot her an annoyed look, and shook her head.

"You know just as well as I do how far that is from the truth," she said, "Scoots, he stopped breathing."

"It was a heart attack, those can be cured," Scootaloo reasoned. Rainbow Dash closed her eyes as her knees gave out beneath her. She rubbed them with her front hooves before any more tears could escape.

"I... I don't think Dad is going to... going to... survive..." she said softly.

"Think happy thoughts, Sis," Scootaloo tried. Rainbow Dash shook her head, looking into the operation room.

"This thing is going to cost us a fortune..." she mumbled. Scootaloo's eyes widened.

"But don't the doctors give free operations for life-threatening infections if the family is not very well off financially?" she asked slowly. Dash gulped, shaking her head.

"We've already put off so many payments. We haven't even gotten rid of the loan yet, only paying half rent every month... this doesn't look too good," she said. Scootaloo's breath evened.

"I'm sure Mom will be able to do something, right?" she asked. Dash became visibly a little more relaxed as she nodded.

"Of course! We still haven't gotten tax interest back from the pharmacy! That itself should be able to cover a big chunk of it," she said. "Plus Mom's hobbyist job could help."

"I'm so glad we have Mom with us," Scootaloo said, sighing and pulling her sister in for a hug. Rainbow Dash nodded, tightening the embrace and holding onto her younger sister.

"Me too..."

"But Dash... what about Dad?" Scootaloo said. The mention of his name brought tears back into Rainbow Dash's eyes. She looked away, letting go of the hug and walking up to the door of the operation room.

"I need to be in there with him... my father is freaking dying," she said once, just as the door swung open to reveal a very disheveled looking doctor.

"Doctor?!" Scootaloo said, springing up from her seat. The mare looked between them, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

"I'm afraid... I only bring bad news," she said. Rainbow Dash crumbled to the floor, tears sweeping out of her eyes heavily. Scootaloo gaped silently, dropping besides her sister as the two hugged each other tightly.

"Say it, Doctor. I won't believe it until you've said it," Rainbow Dash said quietly with a shudder.

"I'm so sorry, Rainbow and Scootaloo Dash... but we weren't able to save him. Sorry for your loss," the mare said with a sigh, before retreating back into the lab.

Everything inside Rainbow Dash broke in that very moment.


Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo walked home together, both not in the mood for flying. Dash was an absolute mess; Scootaloo was as well. They bad both lost their only father figure in their life... the only stallion who they had ever fully trusted until recently.

Firefly had gone home early, leaving Dash and Scootaloo the long walk back to their cottage.

"I'm..."

"I just..." both started at once. They gave each other sad frowns, before continuing their journey.

"What are we going to do?" Scootaloo asked softly. Rainbow Dash only shook her head.

"I don't even know."

"How's Mom holding up?" Scootaloo asked.

"She didn't say anything," Rainbow Dash deadpanned again. Scootaloo sighed, looking away as she spotted a nearby father and daughter eating ice cream on a bench.

The sight made her shudder and want to cry again. She wondered if there were even any tears left to shed.

The two entered the house quietly, meeting absolute silence.

"Mom?" Rainbow Dash called out. "We're home!"

Scootaloo put her saddlebag on the kitchen table, but both didn't hear a response from their mother.

"Mom?!" Dash tried again. Scootaloo looked at her.

"She probably went to sleep," she offered. Rainbow Dash could only nod.

"I don't blame her..." she said softly. "I'll go up and check on her, okay?"

"Alright," Scootaloo said, sitting in silence on a sofa in the living room.

Rainbow Dash made her way upstairs, looking at the wide-open door of her parent's room with concern. Her mother never left her door open if she was sleeping.

She made her way inside, gasping in shock at the empty bed.

"Mom? MOM? Where are you?" she tried. Was Firefly somewhere else in the house?

She tried Scootaloo's room, and the small bathroom in the main hallway, but was unsuccessful every time. The only room left was her own room.

Rainbow Dash quirked her eyebrows as she entered her room, not seeing anypony inside. Was her mother not at home? Did she go out for a bit or something?

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sight of a small piece of paper on her bed. Dash looked at the cushions curiously, picking up the paper and seeing very familiar print. Her mother's hoofwriting.

Rainbow Dash,

I can't do this anymore. I couldn't stand living like this before your father died, and now that he has, it's time for me to move on. And so should you.

I'm sorry, I really am truly sorry for doing this to you and Scoots. But does it look like I have a choice? I don't. It's not my bloody fault that everything has been going wrong ever since Scootaloo was born. You even got in so much trouble after crashing that party. And don't say I warned you. Because I didn't. I was a stupid, selfish fool, and I made a stupid, selfish mistake.

And I'm making one again today.

Take care of yourself, alright? Find yourself a nice, decent colt, and help your sister with everything she needs. Now that you both are parentless.

I'm sorry it had to be this way. But you know I was never much for long-term relationships.

You're free to be mad at me. For I know I've been deserving enough for that.

Take care of yourself, Rainbow Dash. Don't let the Dash family down. I'm trusting you on this one, okay?

I've never been able to stand myself living with you and your father. I kept all my problems to myself, only telling them to my best friend, Lilian. You know her, she works at the counter on weekdays.

If you have any questions about this, ask Lilian. Don't bother me in places you'll never find out about. Just remember I loved you and your sister very dearly, but it's time for me to leave.

With all the love I can give you,

Your mother,

Firefly.


Cries could be heard all throughout Ponyville that night.

Author's Note:

wHY crYSTAL?! wHY?!!!!??

I'd also like to share this: http://sta.sh/216k2dqbtszr
Lil' bloopers Northern made while we were 'talking' (aka laughing our heads off over typos on kik) that fit in various parts of the story. XDD

And hey don't mind those beautiful magnets on the fridge :pinkiecrazy:

Anyway~

I think I just broke my feel record with this chapter.

Aw man... I feel so sorry for Dashie. :fluttercry: Her father died and her mother ran away, all in the same day? How cruel of an author am I?

*sigh* but we must do what it takes for SoarinDash, don't we?

And who is this Lilian? Don't worry, you'll be seeing a lot more of her soon.

Seriously though, Firefly. That was kinda a bi tch move. :facehoof:

See you all next week!