• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 1,761 Views, 61 Comments

Pen Pals - Shaded Changeling



Young Spinnekop is a member of the forbidden Artist class of Changelings, but when Chrysalis has need of her, Spinnekop learns there is more to life than just the Hive.

  • ...
5
 61
 1,761

Royal Pains

Chrysalis was feeling rather good, all things considered. Sure her invasion to grow more powerful and become one of the first Changeling Queens to dominate their food source failed and her army scattered across Equestria, but now she had their locations, and already had squadrons ready to get them out. So if all went well, she would have her military back in no time.

Now she just had to overlook the recovery and development of her military. Luckily the attack wasn’t a complete waste of time, she had gotten quite a few Royal Guards captured, so once they became less violent, they should be perfect little wells of information for her.

It was a day before her squadrons were supposed to go and rescue the others, and Chrysalis was looking over reports from the few that made it back on their own. A few of them were casualty lists, another was a list of assets one Infiltrator found, the other was the list of Captured Changelings, given to her by Cloak.

She continued to look over these sheets, flipping through them and the newest batch of soldiers, ready to serve, when a voice went through her Hive Mind.

“My Queen, there is a visitor outside the Hive, they wish to speak with you…”

Chrysalis sighed. “Who?”

“She… Doesn’t want to tell you…”

She groaned. “Fine. Let them through.” She let out a little hiss. “Who in Tartarus could possibly be trying to get into my Hive, I moved it since last time… It can’t be one of the Queens.” Chrysalis shook her head. “General!”

Mimic walked over to her, giving a bow in front of her. “Yes, my Queen?”

“Have any of the Distraction team returned yet?” She asked. “It should not be taking them this long to return from the Griffon Kingdom.”

“No, your Majesty, we have not heard anything from them after Luna was distracted.”

Chrysalis clicked her tongue. “Send another message to them, I want their exact position in relation to the Hive.”

Mimic nodded before taking off from the ground and flying out from a side chamber.

Minutes passed in silence as Chrysalis overlooked the papers. If we go to Appleloosa… Then we can liberate them, maybe hide out with the Buffalo… Maybe recharge a bit off of…

“CHRYSALIS!!!!!”

The shout caused what felt like the entire Hive to vibrate, Chyrsalis’ eyes widened as she recognized the voice. “Oh Morphi…”

There were a few slams from outside the door, followed by shouting. The door was then shot open as Chrysalis felt weightless before getting pulled quickly towards the door, stopping only a few inches away from the face of a fellow Changeling Queen, her golden bird-like eyes drilling a pure hatred into Chrysalis’ mind.

Chrysalis looked to the sides of the door, seeing her guards pinned by large Griffons, the shafts of their Halberds pressing against the Guard’s necks as the two glared at each other.

“What in the name of Apath were you thinking?” The Queen hissed through clenched teeth, her fangs bared.

Chrysalis swallowed. “H-Hi Aurum…”

The Queen’s eyes narrowed at her as her snarl grew. “Tell. Me. Your. Plan.”

“W-Well I uh…”

One of the Griffons turned to look at Aurum. “My Queen, I recommend that you speak with Chrysalis in private.”

Chrysalis’ eyes widened in fear as Aurum stepped into the room and slammed the doors shut, before turning to Chrysalis and dropping her magical field. “Tell me now!” She shouted. “What were you doing in the Griffon Kingdom?”

Chrysalis cursed before giving a nervous smile. “I’m not sure what you mean…”

Aurum turned and glared. Screwing her eyes shut and taking a deep breath. “I am trying… so hard. By the rules of the Oligarchy, I should challenge you to a duel.”

Chrysalis swallowed loudly, backing away from the Queen.

“But since I don’t want the ponies up my flank, I won’t.” She snarled. “I ask again: What. Were. You. Doing?”

“N-nothing I…”

The doors opened as a cage was carried in by a couple Griffons, inside was a blue eyed Changeling, trying to look away from his queen. “This little… Bug was found by my scouts after a slaughter of Griffons and Ponies by the border.”

Her eyes widened as she looked at the Changeling. “Where are the others? I sent twenty of you.”

The Changeling just slunk further back, putting his hooves over his face. Aurum motioned for her Changelings to leave. “Did you honestly think starting a war was a smart move here? Well?”

Chrysalis looked around the room. “Aurum, I know that I broke the…”

“Broke? No… That implies we can fix it. You Shattered it!” Chrysalis backed away a little. “Do you have any idea how long it took for my family to build up a relationship with the Kings and Queens of the Griffon Kingdom? Go on, guess.”

“I don’t…”

“Four generations!” Aurum shouted. “We’ve been itching to get a post on the King’s personal Court for four generations. And in my life it’s taken me six lives to finally get a King that ratified the idea of female Lords to exist in his court. You couldn’t have picked a worse time for me either!”

Chrysalis slowly moved towards a corner in the hopes of putting up a shield to block out Aurum in case she charged. It was well known that Aurum was less cuddly than a Dragon at times, she made a habit of collecting skulls from those who tried to kill her or the Changelings that attempted to stir rebellion against her, how much she would love to have a Queen’s head was something Chrysalis was trying to keep out of her mind right now…

“The first meeting of me in the court was about the Border guards. I was declined the position on the grounds that ‘I’m not experienced enough’” She said in a mocking voice, spitting on the ground. “I have more combat experience than any of those light weights, yet they have the king around their talons. Then of course the one Griffon I publically cannot stand has his own troops guarding the borders and what happens? You slaughter his troops!”

Chrysalis lit her horn and put a shield between the two of them.

“Now while I would normally be thanking you for putting that little sniveling Kreesh in his place. I can’t! Because he turned the whole thing against me!” Aurum’s horn slowly began lighting up as a Griffon walked in with a large steel cylinder on his back; he placed it down next to Aurum and moved to the side.

“He used the fact that I hate him to say that I’m the one who killed them! My troops! Be used in a wasted effort to smear mud on that Kreesh-al reputation!” She raised her hoof, which was covered in yellow fire and replaced with talons, each one glowing bright yellow as she brought the claw down of the metallic cylinder, carving three red-hot marks through the metal. “PULL!” The cylinder fired a wooden bust of a griffon, which Aurum blasted to bits. “I have such a desire to challenge him to a duel. We’ll see how smug he is with his beak shoved in his eye socket!” Her other hoof was covered in flames as she began clawing at the metal cylinder, after what felt like a few hours, but was probably only about thirty seconds, the Cylinder was covered in melted-on Claw marks.

“Well…” Chrysalis squeaked before clearing her throat nervously. “I don’t see why you…”

Aurum glared at her. “I’m not done yet. And put that shield down! If I were going to kill you, you would be dead already!” Chrysalis swallowed and lowered the shield, sending a silent prayer to all of the past Queens that might be listening.

“The real kicker is, the King Believed him.” Aurum huffed. “He made up some Keeek about a lost journal from one of them, and that it said that my soldiers were the ones that attacked both the Griffons and the Ponies.” She glared at Chrysalis. “So congratulations! You successfully sabotaged my relationship with the King! PULL!”

A stone bust flew out of the cylinder; Aurum aimed her horn at it and gripped it as it began heating up, before it slammed into the ground where the burning pieces scattered around the room. Aurum took a few deep breaths.

“Aurum… W-well I uh…” Chrysalis said weakly. “Why not just have him replaced…”

Aurum scoffed. “Sure… It’s so easy for you, Chrysalis. You don’t have to worry about getting something wrong. What happens here if you get caught? You get locked up? We get out heads cut off! It’s a little more difficult to match a Griffon Lord, they aren’t like your pony nobles, they are completely different beasts in their home life. I can’t just replace them.”

“Then uh… If you don’t mind me asking… Why did you come here?” Chrysalis asked.

“I came here to tell you personally how displeased I am at your actions. And I understand the reason why you did it. An Alicorn showing up on the King’s doorstep doesn’t go unnoticed. It caused quite the stir, and caused quite the interesting entertainment when the King was talking with her, and then I heard about… You.” She hissed. “Now, I don’t give a damn what you do with your food. Play with them, invade them, do what you want.” Aurum began to walk towards Chrysalis.

“Now, one of the few reasons I haven’t cut off your head for all the trouble you caused is because I want to watch you dig yourself a grave. And the High Queen warned me she would not take me slaughtering you kindly. So here is what is going to happen.”

She grabbed Chrysalis by her hoof and pulled her off the ground. “If you do anything aggressive towards the Griffon Kingdom, I will kill you, and take your Changelings as my own. A few of my Recon Drones will be watching you from Griffon Stone, they will report to me. If you do anything I don’t like, it will be just like when the two of us were Nymphs. Got it?”

Chrysalis nodded. “Is there anything I could help you with than, Aurum?” She said, recomposing herself.

“Stay away from Griffon Stone, and don’t piss me off again, Chrysie.” Aurum replied. “I’m one-hundred years older than you. Keep that in mind.” Aurum’s horn lit up as the Cage holding the Changeling opened.

“Aurum, wait!” Chrysalis said. “How did you find me? I moved since last time.”

Aurum pointed at the Changeling. “He led me here. Now do yourself a favor, I expect a formal letter of admission of the murders of the Border Guard, say you are War chief Silver Plume, that little bastard’s been a thorn in my side, I want his head.”

“You’ll have it by the weeks end.” Chrysalis said, watching as Aurum opened the door and walked out of the room, the Griffon guard carrying out the cylinder. Aurum motioned to the two guards who both pulled their Halberds from the Guard’s throats and moved to follow their Queen.

Mimic passed them in the hall and walked into the throne room. “Were we expecting Queen Aurum?” He asked confused.

Chrysalis let out a deep breath as her magic winked on and she pulled over the papers. “A surprise visit, just to say hello while she is handling a situation. She asked us for assistance with an important matter, I would like for you to assemble a team to find the War chief Silver Plume.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, your Majesty, why are we targeting him?”

Chrysalis looked back at Mimic. “We are tracking him down as a favor to Queen Aurum, Silver Plume has been harassing her for quite some time. He has been attacking her caravans, and her troops, but he is just outside of the Griffon Kingdom, making it illegal for them to attack, she requires a confession that would allow her to take action. We need his signature. Now get the team together, I don’t care who is on it.”

Mimic bowed. “At once, My Queen. Would you like me to get some Caretakers to clean up the Throne Room?”

“That would be fine, tell them to do it quickly, I have much to plan.”

“Of course, Chrysalis.” Mimic walked from the room as Chrysalis walked back over to her throne, sitting back down in it and beginning to look over the papers again, shuffling them around to make sure they were in the correct order. Trying her best to block out the hints of nervousness and fear she had left from the visit. Now, if we go to Appleloosa…

Author's Note:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sorry... :fluttercry:

This chapter was supposed to be longer..... But then I realized how little I focused on Spinnekop.... But I didn't want to leave you guys on that cliffhanger... So... Here it is... The payoff from the wait... :ajsleepy: I am very sorry for how short this section is.... I didn't even call it a CHAPTER!
I'm sorry guys.... :applecry: I promise the next one will be longer...

Comments ( 11 )
JK
JK #1 · May 26th, 2016 · · ·

I won't lie... put this on my to-read list because of Spinnekops name being "spider" in Afrikaans/Dutch.
Just the idea of a changeling running around in my hometown of Cape Town, South Africa tickles my fancy. XD

Also, sounds like an interesting story too. :P

7249310 Aha! So you found the secret of the name, eh? Just wait till I get around to writing the events of the Discord incident :pinkiecrazy:

7249317 A short chapter is only a problem if it's a bad chapter, this was a good chapter.

Poor Chryssie. At least she's alright.

With as good as he is at manipulating fire (like that color-shifting ball of flame as one example), I wonder if Burn has ever tried manipluating the plasma formed in a flame to modulate it in a manner similar to a "singing arc" plasma speaker? Could be an interesting trick... :twilightsmile:

Great Story. I really hope it is not death. Would be a shame. :twilightsmile:

so is this story dead?

8768907
Nope, just having a hard time with writing right now.

It's cool, a nice bit of world building always goes along way

I hope this eventually continues

I still miss this story when I spot it in my hiatus shelf :ajsleepy:

Login or register to comment