• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,067 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,067

PreviousChapters Next
A Perfect Time to Vent

“Let me ask you just one question, Skagra,” Chandler said.

“Well, you already took the physical challenge by coming here,” Skagra slurred, trotting backwards up the ramp. “Shoot.”

Chandler's green eyes narrowed. “What exactly was it that won Monket's favor?” His nostrils flared. “That made him give up his loyalty to me so that he could serve a muckbag like you?”

“Aside from my good looks and your all-around douchemuzzledness?”

“Please, Skagra. You can stretch my patience... but not my intelligence.”

“Very well.” Skagra shook his glossy bangs to the side and cocked his head with a squint. “I gave him kinship.”

Chandler snorted. “You're kidding me, right?”

“Mmmm... our blood may be filthy, muck-riddled, spawned by bastards and bedsores at best... but...” He reached the door to his office at last. “We are all bloated before birth. It's just that ponies like Monket and myself have the strength to smell it. Morons like you?” He shook his head. “Tch... you're having to catch up to your bloat. And when your nose so much as starts to tickle, you shove lots of money in the way—like pillows—hoping to guard you against the inevitable filth.”

“Are you really that deluded?”

“I like to think of it as endarkened.” Skagra smiled crookedly. “It's like being enlightened... only upside-down with your senses above you. And that makes Monket and I more like brothers than you and him ever will be.”

“Forgive me if I don't pretend to be envious.”

“But you're so good at envy, fat cat.” Skagra pointed. “You've got the eyes for it. Now... let's make 'em rosy, shall we?” He turned towards the open office. “Dredgers! Fetch some dirty... dirty whiskey for—” He froze, blinking. “...what in the blue shit are you mucktards doing?”

Three... four... five dredgers were rummaging all over the office, turning all of the furniture, trophies, and trinkets over. Upon hearing Skagra's voice, one of the stallions jumped a full three feet. He spun about—jittering—and rushed towards the doorway. Sliding on his knees, he bowed low, stammering: “I'm sorry, boss! I tried to fetch what you told me to! I've looked everywhere! I've even called in these guys to help! But we can't... c-can't find it!”

“Can't. Find. What?” Skagra's eyes glazed over with deathly frost.

The stallion gulped. “The p-pendant,” his voice cracked. “It's... it's n-nowhere to be found!”

“... ... ...” Skagra gazed into the office, dead silent.

“Not on your hoofrest! Not on any of the shelves! Not beneath your cot!”

“Something the matter, Skagra?” Chandler asked, blinking curiously.

“Just one moment, Chandler—”

“Because you've taken enough of my time as it is.” The would-be Magistrate frowned. “Now will you tell me what the delay is or—?”

“Grnnngh!” Skagra spun, eyes flaring. “Will you make like a true fat cat and puss yourself inside out for once?! I need time to think!

“But you never do!” Chandler frowned. “Do you, Skagra?!”

Skagra shook... shivered... snarled.

Chandler didn't hold back. “You think that you do, but you really don't! You float out here in the middle of the lonesome seas like the god of fecal brine and yet you're still as brainless as the slave whore who foaled you.” He gnashed his teeth. “Well I've entertained it for as far as my money and the blood of the servants you've slain can carry! But no more!” He stomped his hoof. “I want my damned Rainbow and I want her now! So where is she, you half-headed moron?!”

“She's in the brig...” Skagra hissed. He pointed a shaking, angry hoof. “I have it... under control.”

“Just like your steam?” Longaze droned from the back.

Every stallion spun to face her, blinking.

“Buh?” Skagra burped.

Longaze pointed south.

Chandler and Skagra trotted up to the balcony's edge, squinting. The top dredger's scarred jaw dropped.

A thick white mist was spreading swiftly across the bulkheads of the southern strut. Along the edges, stallions scampered, panicked and breathless. Something blurred in and out of the clouds, tripping a few of the dredgers along the way. They fell with muffled shrieks, clambering wildly before being dragged back into the mists—silenced altogether. From the sidelines, other dredgers and Red Barge families looked on with nervous expressions. They gradually backtrotted away from the spreading steam—ultimately fleeing to the furthest edges of the platforms.

“That...” Chandler pointed, fidgeting. “That's not right. Is it?” He looked at Skagra and the others. “Is that supposed to be doing that?”

“Looks like the platform's venting steam to me,” Longaze said.

“You mean—like there was a rupture?”

“Not like any I've ever witnessed.” Longaze shook her head. “We would have heard the explosion—at least felt it if that was the case.”

“Skagra?” Chandler glanced aside. “Have you got an explanation for this?”

Skagra clenched his teeth. He looked into his office—at the glaring absence of a ruby pendant. “... ... ...” Glaring, he turned to face the southern struts again. “Nixkit, you sad... sad bastard.”

“Huh?”

CHIIING!

Chandler flinched as Skagra unsheathed a dagger.

“Stay right here, fat cat.”

“But—”

Red Barge business!” He hissed, perching up on the edge of the balcony. “Bleed on the rust of your own home!” He turned and shouted at his fellow dredgers. “Grab every available stallion! Even the non-dredgers! We're going in!” And he plunged completely over the side, agilely shimmying his way down via various lattices and bits of pipework.

“Skagra—!” Chandler barked, but it was far too late.

Skagra nimbly reached the bottom of the platform before Chandler had finished breathing. Meanwhile, every dredger within earshot had galloped down the structure to join him. Skagra whistled to the sidelines, summoning more and more strong hooves as they collectively galloped for the southern struts. Very soon, a veritable army of Red Barge finest was charging the source of the billowing steam.

Chandler shuddered, stepping back from the balcony. “Maybe... maybe it's nothing.” He gulped, shivering. “Maybe it's... yes... maybe it's something other than the Rainbow Rogue.” He looked aside at his bodyguard, smiling crookedly. “What do you think, Longaze?”

She spoke while her cool eyes remained locked on the steamy scene below. “I think you've inhaled too much of the muck's fumes, sir...”


Panting, Swab ran towards another valve. Kicking over a tool box, he stood his little body atop the thing for extra leverage. His tiny hooves reached up, grabbed the valve, and began turning.

“Nnnngrh... grhhh...” Swab gritted his teeth, sweating. His right ear twitched several times, and—

Hisssssssss! The valves all around him began venting steam.

He hopped off the toolbox and backtrotted, watching with an exhausted smile as the new wave of mist merged with the cloud that had already been conjured around the brig. All in all, the vaporous veil grew larger... denser... spreading across the Barge one hull at a time.

And then Swab backed up into a body.

“Gaaah!” He spun around, flinching. “I-I was just... just—!” He blinked, gasping. “Whony?”

Whony panted and panted. He wiped the sweat from his brow and squinted at the smaller colt. “What the Hell, Swab?” A few other colts snuck out of hiding, grasping bent clubs, wrenches, and bludgeons. “I thought you went down below with the Rainbow Rogue!”

“And I-I did...” Swab pointed at the mist. “But now we've—”

“What's the big idea with all of the steam?!” Whony pointed at the valves behind Swab. “Are you trying to sabotage Red Barge or what?”

Swab took a deep breath, frowning. “Enough is enough, Whony. Skagra's gotta go.”

“Huh?!”

“I m-mean it's time to take him down!”

The colts murmured at one another.

“You friggin' serious?” Whony glanced back at the other foals with a grimace, then turned to gawk at Swab again. “Like... for serious serious?”

“What, you don't hate Skagra too?”

“Pfft! Of course I do! We all do! But how in the heck is this helping?”

“It's making cover for the Rainbow Rogue,” Swab said. He shivered, pointing into the mist. “Right now, she and the Lieutenant are kicking the flanks of—”

“Wait a second.” Whony placed both hooves on Swab's shoulders. “Did... did you just say that the Rainbow Rogue is in on bringing Skagra down?”

“Uhhhh...” Swab gulped. “Yeah.” He nodded. “She is.”

Whony blinked once. He spun and barked at the other colts. “Everypony! Run to the furthest ends of the strut! Turn every valve and vent every pipe that you run across!” He shook his hoof, snarling. “I mean it, ya little shits! I want this place covered in pea soup!”

“Yes, Whony!”

“Sure thing, boss!”

“We're on it!”

The foals ran in separate directions, moving as fast as their legs—and breaths—could carry them. Swab gawked at them all, muzzle agape. At last, he turned towards Whony, breathless. “You're... you're on board with this?”

“Of course I friggin' am.” Whony was already marching towards a valve. He stood on his hind quarters and gripped the thing, struggling against the rust to turn it. “I just didn't realize it was worth it until you mentioned the Rainbow Rogue.” He licked his lips. “'Cuz if this whole thing was spearheaded by you... we'd be friggin' bloat.”

Swab blinked... then smiled. He rushed over, hopped up, then grabbed the edge of the valve. The tiny addition of weight did the trick, and soon the thing spun—squeaking—in Whony's grip.

Whony turned the valve. He smirked aside at Whony. “Y'know... you're not so lame... once you've chosen the right pony to hang with.”

“Yeah... she is awesome.”

“You think the monster's awesome enough to save us?”

“With a little bit of help, sure.”

The air filled with loud hissing as the nearest pipes vented steam hotly into the air. Swab and Whony backed up, watching breathlessly. Three ears twitched to the sound of more high-pitched whistles spread across the Barge. To the left and right of them, the whole of the southern struts gained a new ceiling in the form of impenetrable mists.


Croche poked her head out from beneath the bulkhead where she hid. She stared—muzzle agape—as a dense cloud rippled across the southern decks.

Suddenly, the air filled with heavy thunder.

Croche winced, squatting low and out of sight. On either side of her, dozens upon dozens of dredgers galloped, charging south with Skagra leading them.

“Move! Move!” Skagra hollered. “Don't let me catch you dragging your tails—or I'll shove them into the nearest shelf harvester! I mean it! Instant ocean lasagna! Now go!” He perched briefly on a guard tower and waved his dagger, hollering: “And bag her alive! Carve her up if you have to, but the fat cat needs his product alive!” Then he too dove into the mists...

Stallion after stallion...

Everypony went stumbling blindly into the mists.

Croche saw it. She smiled. The little filly slinked back into the shadows... and waited.

PreviousChapters Next