• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,066 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,066

PreviousChapters Next
In the Pale Moon Light

“Well, no...” A fat stallion stood by the Riverstem docks under a spread of glittery starlight. “I didn't get a good look at her mane. But that's probably because it was shaved.” He tapped his chin, smirking. “Yeah. You know what? It was shaved! I was too busy watching Steve get ruined at the time to pay much attention! But now that I think about it... totally shaved! Ha!”

Keris strolled past Seraphimus as they stood along the southern edge of the town. “Shaved... you say?” He raised an eyecrest while pacing around the citizen. “Did it look like a professional job?”

“Well, sure. Pffft.” He shrugged. “Lots of ponies in town will lop off your mane for a few bits. Or preen your feathers.” He smirked. “Come to think of it... she didn't have much in the way of tail-hairs either.”

“Did she say anything about where she was going?” Keris squinted. “Or give any indication whatsoever as to her purpose while in town?”

“I'm afraid not.” The stallion shook his head. “She just... strolled in on the game and cleaned house. Heh... whooped Steve's flank too, I'll tell ya what.”

Seraphimus asked, “Who is Steve?”

“Pfffft... only the most pathetic waste of spit ever to share oxygen here in Riverstem,” the pony grumbled. “It's just that... grnnghh... we had no clue that was the case until your elusive pegasus showed up to make him eat his own words.”

“What did she do?”

“Played him at his usual game of chance. Only—she caught him cheating. Turns out the bastard had been pulling a fast one on all of us in every game he played. Pffft... 'Lucky' Steve owed me hundreds of bits. And I'm not the only one. This... 'rainbow rogue' character exposed his scam to all of us, and she milked him for bits because of it.”

“Well...” Seraphimus exhaled. “Gambling is certainly its own terrible reward.”

The stallion raised a hoof. “Only—there are rules, ma'am, and Lucky Steve was robbing us the entire time! Totally dishonorable.” He leaned back, his nostrils flaring. “I dunno who this 'Rainbow Rogue' is... but bless Verlaxion that she showed up! Or else a whole bunch of us guys would be selling the mane hair off our necks just to get by!”

“Hmmmm...” Keris smiled calmly. “How quaint.” He narrowed his magenta hawkeyes. “And just how—may I ask—did she accomplish this?”

“You mean how did she catch Lucky Steve in the act?”

“Precisely.”

“Pffft... Hell if I know!” The fat stallion belched. “The mare just... magically knew that he was hiding the red pebble from his game inside his hat! She kicked the table, knocking over all the cups and revealing that they were empty! Whew! Never seen something so slick... so badflank.”

“'Magically knew,' you say?”

“That's right.” The stallion nodded. “Like... like she had a seventh sense or something!” He blinked. “Wait... she was no unicorn.” His plump muzzle scrunched. “So... uh... sixth sense? I dunno. It was a damn miracle, I tell you... but a lucky one. Hah! The best luck to get rid of the bad luck! 'Lucky Steve' is gone for good, and we're all better off for it! Maybe you griffons should be hunting him down instead!”

Keris turned to glance at Seraphimus.

Seraphimus sighed, then strolled forward. “Back to the Rainbow Rogue, dear sir.” She cocked her head aside. “Are you certain you don't know where she headed off to?”

“Well... me and the other boys overheard her say that she was from out of town. I mean... heck... odds are she came from the seven seas. Most strangers do. And—for that matter—most strangers who arrive in Riverstem are here for only one thing, and that's to make the long trek down the Silt Path.”

“So you think she headed east?” Seraphimus asked.

“It's the best way to go about doing it!” the stallion said. “The Silt Path, I mean. OH!” He jumped in place, smiling. “She totally took Lucky Steve's duds!”

Duds...?” Seraphimus blinked.

“His wardrobe, Commander.” Keris cleared his throat, then faced the pony again. “Might you, perhaps, describe these 'duds?'”

“Eheh... what's to describe?” The stallion shrugged. “Lucky Steve dressed like your average Osmanthus nopony. Green robes. Straw hat.” He squinted into the starlight, gesturing. “Come to think of it... she did have a very rich-looking satchel on her flank.”

“Midnight purple, I'm guessing,” Keris said.

“Why... yes!” The pony pointed. “A-a-and the most shiny looking pendant around her neck! Looked like... almost like a jagged red tooth or something.”

“A lightning bolt,” Keris said. “I'm aware.”

“Pffft! Then what are you guardians asking me for?”

“Trust me, sir,” Keris remarked. “You've been most helpful.”

“Heh... if you say so.” The pony smirked. “You ask me, that mare's fit to blend in with damn near anyone in Seed Prefecture. That's farming country! And she looks more like a rice farmer than Lucky Steve ever did! Although... the hat and robe were a bit big on her.”

“We'll be sure to make note of that,” Seraphimus said, gesturing aside at Keris. “Let's regroup.”

“Aye.”

As the two griffons lifted up, the stallion called up after them. “Say! Uh... since there's such a huge bounty on this 'Rainbow Rogue's' head, I don't suppose you guys can give me a slice of the pie once you catch her?!”

“I assure you, good sir,” Seraphimus droned. “The ponies who have created such a bounty have no affiliation with us.”

“Awwwwwwwwwwwww...” The fat stallion kicked at the ground. “Well shit.” He pouted, his forelimbs folded. “Then just who is responsible for it?!”


“Skiff!” A uniformed pony shouted from the deck of a steamship. He pointed at the ocean waves reflecting with moonlight. “Due west! Incoming!”

Every crew member on board broke into anxious commotion. They ran to their stations, pivoting the steamship in the harbor of a tiny island so that its broadside faced west.

A line of hired hooves stood cautiously along the port side, armed with cannons and crossbows. They squinted at the waves—more specifically at the motorized craft that was swiftly splitting the glittery waters. At last, the tiny vessel slowed down, arriving gracefully at the metal hull of the steamship in waiting.

“Who goes there?!” Shouted one mercenary. The sea air rattled from the sound of him and several other stallions cocking and aiming their crossbows at the lone figure on board. “We demand that you tell us where the Executive is located!”

“Calm down, boys,” droned a calm voice from down below. The ship's pilot lowered her hood, revealing a tight bun of blonde mane hair. “I've brought Mr. Chandler. Safe and sound.”

“Ms. Longaze...!” The mercenaries lowered their weapons, blinking. “But... b-but I don't understand! We were told that you'd both be escorted by a contingent of South Barge's dredgers!”

“And we were,” grumbled a voice from below deck. Longaze reached over and helped a jittery stallion as he limped out of hiding. Shivering from the cold, Chandler snarled past his chattering teeth. “And those damn double-crossers thought they could stall for time! Force bits out of my own work force!”

“Uhm...” Another crew member looked over. “Just where are they?”

“Longaze tossed them all into the drink—which is precisely where she'll toss you imbeciles if you don't get me some warm food and clothing!” Chandler stomped his hoof. “Now lower the damn platform already!”

The crew members nodded. They hollered commands to one another. In swift order, a wooden plank was lowered, suspended by metal chains. Longaze helped Chandler onto it, then joined him as the two were raised up onto the main deck of the steamship. Once on board, several servants rushed up and supplied Chandler with a thick cloak and a mug of steamy coffee to drink from.

“Mrmmmfff... for Goddess' sake...” Chandler took several sips while limping towards the cabin doors at the rear of the steamship. “Can anyone in the Seven Seas be trusted anymore?”

“If I may interject, sir,” Longaze droned.

“You may not.”

She spoke anyways: “The South Bargers who rode with us made no indication of a double-cross. If I recall, they simply requested that you try and get some sleep.”

“Yeah... so they could slit my throat while I was unconscious.” Chandler shuddered. “Better to be safe than sorry. You did the right thing as soon as I asked you to, my dear. Rest assured that you will be paid handsomely for it.”

Longaze exhaled. “Of that, I have no doubt...”

Chandler snapped at the crew gawking at him. “Will you stop staring at me like I'm some sort of goddess-damn freak show?! Get this ship on the move already! Head towards HQ! On the double!”

“Aye, Mr. Chandler, sir!” A pony saluted, then turned to shout at the others. “You heard the Executive! Fire up the engines! Steer us northeast! We're headed for the Shoreline!”

“Aye, sir!”

“Clear the steam pipes!”

“Move out!”

As the ship veered about, Chandler stepped into the luxurious cabin, shutting out the noise behind him. Two servants stood at the ready, bowing as soon as they saw the stallion.

“We have a warm bath and clean beddings prepared for you, sir.”

“Would you like to have a meal now or later?”

Later. For Goddess' sake—I have to catch up!” He sat himself in a desk, slapping the wood with his hoof. “Where're the profits and loss files from the last two days?”

“We have it here, s-sir.”

“Well bring it to me! Dammit... everything is sinking into the muck and I'm the only one who can salvage it anymore!”

The servants obediently rushed to provide the stallion with his request.

Longaze stood against a wall, sighing as she rested her muscles. “I could use a copy of the latest report as well.” She easily lifted a sheet from their hooves with telekinesis. “Much appreciated.”

Once the servants had slapped the material down on Chandler's desk, he took a lasting sip of his coffee and waved his hoof. “Mmmm... leave us. I'll call for more service when it's required.”

The two ponies nervously bowed, then galloped briskly out of the cabin, shutting the doors behind them.

Chandler rubbed his forehead, struggling to read in the dim candle-light while the whole ship teetered in its swift bend north. “Mrmmmfff...” He closed his eyes briefly. “Longaze, you're a faster reader than I am. Tell me... how bad does it look?

“That depends, sir,” Longaze droned. “Are you a faster or slower fainter than myself?”

“Rrrrgghh-gaaaah!” Chandler slapped the sheets onto the desktop and leaned back in his chair, forelimbs folded. “The chaos of this world baffles me at times. Like... how could something turn so completely to shit in the blink of an eye?!”

“It... does have the tendency to float in these waters, sir.”

“Yes, well, my ass floats too.” Chandler's nostrils flared. “That damn mare. If she thinks—even for a second—she can get away with humiliating me... with humiliating the Consortium.”

“She... h-has gotten quite a bit of a lead on us, sir,” Longaze said.

“Like Hell, she has!” Chandler stood up with a frown. “So long as the company still has a fresh supply of dredge coal to dish out during the Month of Thawing, we run the western Prefectures! I'll be damned if there isn't a single province between the Shoreline and Frostknife that hasn't seen the wanted posters by now!”

“Even still.” Longaze cleared her throat. “A griffon guardian survived the battle of Red Barge to witness most everything. We might find ourselves in close competition with government defense when it comes to apprehending the Rainbow Rogue.”

“You honestly think a flock of buzzards can beat out an entire continent full of desperate ponies who have been drooling over an enormous bounty for days?!”

Longaze squinted. “They're the Talon, sir.”

Chandler rolled his eyes, then face-hoofed. “Unnnghhhh...”

Longaze exhaled. “Perhaps—instead of heading to HQ—we can order this boat to stop by one of our trade lines. There, we might catch word of whether or not the Rogue has been caught. Because you do have a point, sir. With a bounty that high, odds are the entire continent will be looking for her. It just might give the Talon a run for the money.”

“Mrmmfff... no. You're the one with a clear head over this, my dear,” Chandler muttered. “The Talon shall always... always have an edge over a kingdom of idiots.”

“All the more reason, perhaps, for us to bring this ship further inland.”

“Darling, I have to go to HQ,” Chandler said with a frown. “The company's suffered so much loss that I have to make an appearance to maintain solidarity. Even if it's only a temporary gesture, it's the one thing keeping investors in line—what remains of them, that is. The Consortium's entire financial future relies on my becoming the Grand Magistrate. And that will only be possible with the capture of the Rainbow Rogue.”

“Then we are still headed north?”

“I will be heading north.” Chandler cleared across the cabin. “You, on the other hoof, will take a skiff and reach the mainland via the trade lines.”

Longaze raised an eyebrow. “Me, sir?”

“You're my one and only ace, Longaze,” Chandler said, pacing. “If there's any pony who can beat the Talon to the Rainbow Rogue, it's you.”

“I don't exactly have wings, sir.”

“No, but you will have every resource that's in the company's arsenal.” Chandler pointed. “And the home court advantage. Something is drawing that rainbow freak east, and you're going to cut her off.”

“Then... you have no intention of paying the bounty price to anyone?”

“Of course not,” Chandler grumbled. “The bounty is simply to stir the pot. To make the hunt harder for everypony but us.” His brow furrowed. “Which is why I'm going to double it as of tomorrow morning.”

Longaze did a double-take. “D-double it... sir?”

“You heard me.” Fuming, he spun to look out at the rippling waters beyond the window. “If there's anything the seven seas have taught me from this recent debacle... it's to never underestimate the power of greed. I swear on my life, it's more powerful than any love or any devotion to Verlaxion. And that is why we're going to beat the Talon to this bitch. They'll have to fight through the very morons they protect to get to their target. Meanwhile, you'll be there in the right place and time to catch her as soon as the Talon foolishly flushes the Rogue into our nets.”

“You make it sound so easy, sir.”

Simple, madame. If it was easy, I wouldn't be paying you so much.” He pivoted to glare at her. “Get some rest. Tomorrow... you become the sword of my company.”

Longaze exhaled. “I do suppose that is some upgrade from 'dagger.'”

“Call it what you want. Find the mare. Grab the mare. Spear the mare.” Chandler snorted, marching fitfully across the cabin. “I swear—I will not quit until she hangs from the highest rockface in Frostknife.”

“I... don't quite understand.” Longaze squinted. “Do you want her dead or alive?”

“Whichever's easier.” Chandler flung a lazy hoof at the moonlight. “Thrill me.”


“Okay...” Rainbow Dash took another deep breath, her hooves squirming in loose soil. “...do you see the Silt Path from here?”

Rarity floated high above, squinting south. “Yes. But barely!”

“Any ponies trotting east or west?”

“I... I can scarcely make them out!” Rarity looked down. “Fluttershy, darling?”

“There are a few, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy said above the sound of whipping winds. “But—honestly—they're too far away to see you... much less hear you.”

Rainbow took a deep breath. “Pinkie, keep your senses... erm... pink. The first moment you notice anything out of the ordinary—”

“Aye, Cap'n Dashie!” Pinkie saluted with a grin from where she floated. “You can count on me!”

Rainbow smirked, then turned towards Twilight. “I guess we're ready.”

“Yes.” Twilight nodded, ears twitching. “I guess we are.”

“Okay...” Rainbow took a deep breath, clenching her eyes shut. “Okay... okay okay okay...

“She's our Princess, Rainbow,” Fluttershy said calmly. “There's nothing you should be afraid of.”

Rainbow gulped. “This isn't fear.” Sniffling, she nevertheless lowered the collar of her robe, then raised a hoof to her exposed pendant. Giving the thing a few circular strokes, she tilted it until it caught the full moonlight.

The tall grass around her swayed with the wind—so that the fields pulsated with rivulets of silver bands.

At last, a bright glow emanated from the ruby lightning bolt.

Within seconds, the air rumbled—resonating with a regal voice.

“Rainbow? Rainbow Dash?” Princess Luna spoke loud and clear. “Is that you?”

Rainbow sucked in her breath. “Yes... yes, Your Highness. We're here.”

“Woohoo!” Pinkie cheered.

“Yes!” Twilight pumped a hoof.

Rarity giggle. Misty-eyed, she leaned in and hugged a smiling Fluttershy.

“It fills me with great joy to hear you yet again. How might you be faring, child?”

“Oh... you know m-me, Luna.” Rainbow sniffled again. She opened her eyes, tears trickling down towards a soft smile. “Whatever it t-takes to be awesome.”

PreviousChapters Next