• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,066 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,066

PreviousChapters Next
What Madness Drove Them There?

“Rnnnng-gnnnkkkt!” Raptr yanked, pulled, and tugged at a loose crossbeam of wood. At last—with expert strength—the Sergeant lifted the chunk of debris and tossed it further down the sloping ravine. Sweating, he adjusted his helmet and peered beneath the pile of wreckage. His hawkeyes had to squint in the dimming light. After a thorough scan, he lifted his beak and shouted across the ravine. “Nothing over here! Even if she had been crushed to a pulp, I'd expect to have seen a hint of blood! Or bone!”

“I'm not finding anything over here either,” Starstorm muttered. She looked up at the overcast sky—which was growing dimmer and dimmer. “The sun will be setting soon. This is not good.” She turned towards the silver body searching the north end of the wreckage. “Commander! It will be sundown in less than two hours! We still haven't found any sign of the Rainbow Rogue!”

“I'm well aware of that, Sergeant,” Seraphimus said, combing the splintery debris. “It's quite possible that her body is somewhere that we can't access with just our meager strength.”

“Then what?!” Raptr wheezed. “Should we go fetch Windburst and the Lieutenant so we'll have the muscle power to lift more of this stuff?”

“... … ...no.” Seraphimus lifted her gaze.

“No?”

“Because it's also just as equally possible that she did not collapse with this building in the first place.”

“Then... then what was this?” Starstorm's brow furrowed. “A distraction?”

“Perhaps. Although I doubt she meant it to be what it was,” Seraphimus thought aloud.

“I... I still can't fathom how she could have gotten as far as the north ridge to begin with!” Raptr exclaimed. “I mean, sure, pegasi can ride clouds. But how would the Rogue have found her way on the mists we condensed?! She's half-winged right now, for Verlaxion's sake!”

“... … ...” Seraphimus stared up at the looming ridge.

“I'm telling you!” Raptr exclaimed, looking at Starstorm. “It's impossible!”

“Concern yourself with the search, Sergeant,” Seraphimus said. “I must conduct mine elsewhere.” She flapped her wings.

“Commander?” Starstorm blinked at her.

“Continue until sundown,” Seraphimus instructed. “If there's still no sign of the Rogue's body, head northeast to the entrance to Ivory Prefecture. Join up with Windburst and Lieutenant Keris.”

“But... but the search—”

“We'll sweep over the ravine again if we have to.” Seraphimus flew due north, ascending. “Besides, whatever calamity the mare may have survived, there's only one route she would have taken out of the Mist Cliffs to reach her eastward destination.”

Once the Commander had departed, both Sergeants looked at one another. They took deep, sighing breaths and resumed their close glide over the wreckage.


Fw-Fwoooosh!

Seraphimus scaled the south edge of the summit. There, she hovered, trained eyes scanning the former foundation to the fallen shack.

Several fractured crossbeams stood along the cliffside, splintered savagely at their ends. The ones that were still mostly intact bent southward—towards where the weight of the shack had fallen.

“... … ...” Seraphimus hovered over the ridge's summit. She looked at where a rectangular shadow marked the former resting place of the two-story building. Off to the right, a crooked path with a splintered hoof-rail rivered southeast—ending at a jagged cliff that had crumbled away countless decades ago.

Silent and studious, the griffon's gaze swept left again. The light above was growing dim, taking on an amber hue. In the last vestiges of the afternoon, she made out numerous strips of fallen wood—far lighter and less worn-out than the flimsy strips of debris that comprised the former building's foundation. Levitating closer, Seraphimus observed fallen roof shingles and sun-blotched strips of varnish.

She breathed in and out, eyes darting across every single speck of detail... debris... detritus. At last, her iron gaze traveled north—and that's when she spotted a length of wooden deckwork lingering, abandoned, intact.

Intact—that is—save for a single plank of wood that had shattered loose from the rest.

Seraphimus craned her bird neck at a sharp angle. The armored plates rattled. She caught sight of a series of savage scrapes across the sloping granite. It led down the north face of the ridge and into the southern edges of Ivory Prefecture below. Breathless, she glided down into the snowy valley beyond. To the northwest, a dense thicket of lightly frosted trees lingered. To the east, several ice-cold creeks and ponds glittered in the gray light of the dying day.

Seraphimus was far more concerned with a flimsy trail of wooden debris leading down... leading north towards a thickening layer of snow. She flew faster, cascading into a swift, silver glide.


Windburst stifled a yawn. Levitating in midair, he inspected his crossbow before throwing his voice over his shoulder. “Any sign, Lieutenant?”

Keris gazed south, his magenta eyes glazed. “Hmmm?” He clenched his beak. “Of the Rogue?”

“Of anything!” Windburst exclaimed, his voice echoing across the mountainous ridges north of the Mist Cliffs. “Who would have figured?” He smirked wryly. “It's the start of the Month of Thawing and the whole world's frozen on our watch!”

“I'm certain the Commander has good reason to be taking as long as she is, Sergeant,” Keris voiced back. He glanced west, his eyes scaling the sharp ridges and sloping granite foothills. “Our objective is to capture Rainbow Dash in one piece, after all. It takes patience and a delicate touch.”

“Maybe that's your objective, Keris.”

“Do you wish to say something, Sergeant?”

“Heh... do I have to?” Windburst smirked. “I'm sure the Commander wouldn't mind breaking a few of the Rogue's limbs if that's what it will take at this point to reel her in. Hell... I wouldn't mind doing a number on that other wing of hers with my crossbow, considering she nearly cooked my goose.”

“I presume this is going somewhere...”

“I just can't help but notice that you seem to have... an unhealthy respect for our target, Lieutenant... sir.”

Keris took a deep breath, his vision dragging northwest. “Do we not—deep down—secretly admire the game that our criminal prey gives us?”

“It's more than that and you know it.” Windburst smirked as he polished his crossbow. “Face it. Something happened to you back at Red Barge, and you haven't been the same griffon sense.”

“I've had my eyes open to the filth of this world, if that's what you need to know,” Keris murmured. “It is our job to capture the Rainbow Rogue, and I've committed myself whole-heartedly.” He gulped. “However... I know for a fact that there are worse evils out there. Rainbow Dash may not be sinless, but she's on a quest to achieve something far grander than herself. It is a uniquely selfless endeavor.” He sighed. “What villain do you know of who can claim to be obsessed with the same?”

“The same kind of villains who can brainwash the griffons I care about and look up to.” Windburst's eyes narrowed. “I'm worried about you, Lieutenant. While it's a good thing that you know so much about Rainbow Dash, I fear for what it's done to your psyche.”

“Uh huh...” Keris suddenly blinked, his eyes narrowing on the northern slopes of the ridges west of them.

“And I'd hate to see it draw a rift between you and the Right Talon of Verlaxion.”

“... … ...” Keris stared at a glinting, silver figure as it glided its way north into the snowy valley of Ivory Prefecture.

“... … ...Lieutenant?” Windburst blinked over at him. “Keris?

Keris took a deep breath. “Remain at your post, Sergeant.”

“But... but I am at my post—” He did a double-take, almost dropping his crossbow. “Wait. Are you leaving?

“I'm investigating, Sergeant,” Keris said, flying northwest. “There's a difference.”

“But... b-but...”

“Wait for word from the rest of the Talon.” Keris threw a look behind his shoulder. “And I wouldn't be worried about any 'rift' if I were you.” He smiled slightly beneath his beak. “You underestimate how much the Commander depends on me.” He flew off with a flap of his wings. “It goes beyond the Rogue... beyond blood.”

Windburst hovered in place, blinking.

“Hrmmmff...” He pouted beneath his beak. “Oh yeah? Well... can you kill a squirrel with a crossbow at three hundred meters?”

Silence.

“Meh.”


Seraphimus had just touched down in a fresh crater of snow by the time she heard flapping wings from behind.

“... … …?!” She spun about, claws raised. Schiiiing!

Keris held his good talon up, levitating in front of her. “At ease...” He gulped. “It's only me.”

Seraphimus' feathered brow furrowed. “Lieutenant?”

“Did you lose track of Rainbow Dash?”

“You're supposed to be minding the path between Stone and Ivory Prefectures.”

“I'm supposed to be helping you find our Rogue,” Keris said. His magenta eyes reflected cold charcoal. “With all due respect, Commander, let me help you.”

Seraphimus stared at him. After a few fuming breaths, she calmed. “It's getting dark...” She reached under her armor and pulled out a crystalline stick. “Here.”

Keris took the object. He slapped the jagged end of it against a nearby rock. As soon as the enchanted substance fractured, it produced a pale green glow.

“Hold it so I can see.” Seraphimus stepped forward, eyes sweeping left and right between loose chunks of wood. “Hmmmm... pieces of the deck from above.” She breathed through her beak. “Someone tried covering the debris up. See the hoofprints? Deep... sporadic. They galloped about the task... and it was a hasty job at best.”

“I don't understand.” Keris blinked. “What do you think ponies were trying to cover up?”

“There was a monumental collapse back in the Mist Cliffs.”

“Oh?” Keris gulped, holding the enchanted torch before her. “Are Sergeant Raptr and Starstorm okay?”

“They're perfectly fine,” Seraphimus droned, stepping through the snow. White flakes pelted their armor softly as they strolled along. “An old, abandoned shack fell down the northern ridge. At first, we assumed that the Rainbow Rogue was involved in the collapse. My theory is that she hitched a ride on the mists that we had cleared from the canyon when we attempted to ease our search.”

“I take it you've stopped underestimating her abilities.”

Seraphimus sighed. “This is still a matter of bizarre luck, Lieutenant.” She gestured south of them, up the slope. “I just followed the traces of an avalanche that led directly to here.”

“You think the Rainbow Rogue was caught up in the avalanche?”

“A chunk of wood had broken off from the foundation of the collapsed building,” Seraphimus said. “Assuming your friend from Red Barge narrowly avoided a perilous death, she may have found herself swept up in a new and different calamity.” Seraphimus glided faster. “It led her down here. The debris shattered... but her body? It ended up somewhere... somewhere...”

Keris' eyes swept the snowy plain. Something caught his vision, and he pointed at a circular array. “Commander—”

“I see it.” Seraphimus glided over. She hovered above the center of the ring, then reached down. Her talon dug through a rough pile of snow, then pulled loose a charred chunk of firewood. “This... this was a camp.” She brought the wood to her beak and sniffed... sniffed. “Embers are still fresh. This was stoked recently.”

“Six... seven... eight logs,” Keris counted. “Enough to seat two dozen ponies.”

“This far west?”

“Could be loggers,” Keris said. “Trappers.” He glanced west, eyes traversing the wooden thicket. “Only ponies that live that far into the wilderness are those who trade with the Wyverns...”

“Or Snow Bloods.”

“Not likely.” Keris shook his head. “Snow Bloods don't travel in such large numbers... at least not large enough to make a camp of this size.”

Seraphimus tapped her chin. She flew north of the ring of snow-covered logs.

“You... you think whoever it was—they took the Rainbow Rogue?”

“Shhhh!” She insisted, gesturing for him to come closer. Keris held the enchanted light over her figure in the falling snow. Seraphimus dug at the ground, sweeping her talon left and right. At last, she uncovered a series of deep impressions—far more frozen than the rest. “Wagon imprints. See?”

Keris nodded. “They were here for a while. It's not like loggers or trappers to stick to one spot for so long. Especially in the middle of the day.”

“What, then?” Seraphimus looked north. “Mercenaries?”

“Likely so,” Keris said. “We're between villages. And...” He looked firmly at the Commander. “...there is a very pricey bounty being issued in every town right now.”

Seraphimus glided slowly forward. The Lieutenant followed. Soon, they discovered a set of wagon trails leading northwest, towards a babbling brook that stretched before woods.

“Well, if they are mercenaries, they're not very good ones,” Seraphimus said. She pointed. “See how the hoofprints linger on the east edge of the river?”

Keris nodded. “They sought to mislead us into thinking they were headed west. It's too obvious an attempt at misdirection.” He waved the torch east. “I suspect they headed deeper into Ivory Prefecture instead.”

“Any ideas, Lieutenant?”

“Chiefly one.” Keris exhaled. “It takes a wealthy company to put out all of those bounties... and that company practically owns Steamfall.”

“They wouldn't have reached there by nightfall, though,” Seraphimus said.

“Then that leaves us with only one logical destination.”

Seraphimus nodded. “Braum.”

Keris handed her the torch. “I'll go fetch the rest of the Talon.”

“Thank you, Keris.” Seraphimus glided ahead. “I'll go ahead to scout.”

“Aye, Commander.”

“And Lieutenant?!”

Keris paused. He looked over her shoulder.

Seraphimus spoke without looking back. “Your patience and tenacity is much appreciated. Now more than ever.” She took a deep breath. “We'll have to approach this carefully, for now we have more than just the Rogue to contend with.”

Keris nodded back. “Never a dull moment.” And he darted south like a pale bullet.

PreviousChapters Next