• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,048 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,048

PreviousChapters Next
A Midnight Conversation, Part One

Xarchellus leaned her feeble weight against Enix and another nightblooded warrior. Catching her breath, the elder looked up from the center of the massive water-stained platform along the exposed bowers of Bleak's Plummet. Hundreds of other sarosians gathered around the matriarch as she spoke to the silver-colored night.

"For nearly a thousand years... we have maintained a faithful station here... protecting the edge of the world from outside incursion." She swallowed and continued. "Our Vigil was a holy one—sanctioned by the Mother of Nightmares herself... or so we believed." Her wrinkled nostrils flared. "There was a great war between the Royal Sisters, and we chose to support the side of Endless Night... for we believed it was our duty."

Rainbow Dash and the Herald stood across from her, listening in silence. The Element of Loyalty shimmered with enchanted magic as the alicorns paid heed to Xarchellus' words across the great lengths of the plane. Standing off to the side, Echo and Nicole listened intently. Bard stood by his little sister's side while Ariel and Wildcard hovered overhead.

Xarchellus spoke on: "Now we know that the Mother of Nightmares is a mere shadow of the past... a shadow that has melted under persistent light. But instead of mourning defeat... we have every reason to rejoice... for the great Maiden of the Moon has returned in full glory... wielding power of both the Sun and the Moon... and having struck a pact of peace and harmony with her older sibling..."

Twilight Sparkle and the rest of Rainbow's marefriends gazed at Xarchellus, listening with baited spectral breaths.

"With the disappearance of Nightmare Moon, our vicious resolve has also vanished," Xarchellus said, "For we are no longer at war with anypony. Our Vigil now is the same as it was in the days of olde. We are to combat chaos in all of its nefarious forms, and to continue with our ways of piracy would necessitate combating ourselves—for we have become the very agents of chaos that we committed so long ago to eliminating."

The sarosians collectively hung their heads in somber recognition.

"As it so stands..." Xarchellus took a firm breath, gazing at the enchanted air above Rainbow Dash. Thunder rolled in the distance as she said, "We see ourselves belonging nowhere on this plane... nowhere, save for the righteous presence of the Maiden of the Moon herself. It is my decision as the current living Matriarch—in full support of the highest ranking warriors—that we make every attempt to reunite with the Goddess of Dreams—the same life-giver from which we all hail."

Twilight and Applejack exchanged glances.

Remna took a thoughtful breath, leaning against the edge of the bleakweed balcony.

Xarchellus gestured with a shaking hoof. "Of course... we would only commit to such a thing... by the grace of the Maiden of the Moon... and her regal superior." Silence, and then the Matriarch bowed her head. "Such is the decision of this loyal remnant of Saros."

Rainbow Dash gulped, then tilted her head towards the cloudy heavens. "Your Majesty...?"

Princess Luna took a few moments before responding: "I am honored by your pledge, as well as your commitment to Harmony. It fills my heart with immense joy to know that such a tenacious flock would wish to gather once again under my protective wings, in full rejection of the tools and trades of violence that brought them to such a remote niche to begin with."

"We have been misguided for so very long, Moon Maiden," Xarchellus said. "But as you have so humbly rejected Nightmare Moon, so must we follow your righteous charge and attempt—with full mind, body, and spirit—to bring things back to the way they once were. And the only way to do that would be to return home: a necessary exodus to salvage what is left of our culture."

"And I welcome such an honorable decision," Princess Luna said.

Princess Celestia's voice joined in: "And the Princess of the Sun likewise expresses joy and pride in the choice made by the esteemed Matriarch and her council."

"My older sister speaks the truth. We are both gladdened by this turn of events, and we encourage it."

"Indeed."

A pause, and then Luna spoke in a soft—albeit grave tone: "There is a concern that we do have, however..."

Xarchellus raised a wrinkly eyebrow.

Enix cleared her throat. "The elder is listening, Your Majesty."

"For several generations, you have lived exclusively among the tempestuous waves of that twilight waterscape," Luna said. "And regardless of the motivations—noble or otherwise—that have kept you situated in such a single, specific niche, it cannot change the fact that a great deal of things have changed since the initial plight that led you to the edge of the world."

Princess Celestia spoke: "Even if you possessed accurate maps of the realms your forebearers had traversed, a great deal has changed over the past millennium—geographically, politically, magically..."

"The continents residing between your location and Equestria are no longer the same. And even if you had a proper assessment of the dangers and threats you'd be facing, it stands to reason that the sheer distance is far greater than mere recollection can prepare you for."

"The journey has proven incredibly taxing for just a single pony to make. My younger sister's avatar—Rainbow Dash—can attest to this."

When Rainbow felt multiple slitted eyes blinking at her, she cleared her voice and said, "Celestia and Luna are right. I... uh... found no shortage of nasty-nasties wanting to eat, bury, or hang me alive." She glanced at Remna. "Some more successful than others."

The violet mare rolled her green eyes.

"You nevertheless prevailed," Enix said.

"Oh! Totally! But... like... I-I had help," Rainbow said, gesturing. "I've had the sweet luxury of speaking with Princess Luna every full moon. Not to mention the Noble Jury... Eljunbyro... Whitemane and Mortuana... heh... these dudes..." She gestured at the Herald. "And... uhm... I'm kinda sorta the Austraeoh." She gulped. "As awesome as I am—there's no way I can't chalk up a whole heck of a lot of it to the burning tug of Urohringr... or whatever it is that powers up this plane."

"We... do not understand..." Xarchellus blinked up at the heavens. "Surely, we have proven ourselves fierce, resilient, and more than capable of facing any adversity. Perhaps... it is your divine wish that we not return to the fertile land that lies in the shadow of the moon?"

Fluttershy and Twilight winced.

"Perish the thought!" Luna's voice boomed. "I would love nothing more than to be reunited with the blessed dream foals of Saros. I simply wish for you and your fellow kind to understand... to truly understand the challenges that lie ahead of you."

"My sister and I have discussed this situation at great length over the past twelve hours, matriarch," Princess Celestia's voice rang. "We anticipated the fact that you would wish to return to Equestria. In fact, we welcome the idea with happy hearts, and we've already begun drafting a plan for how we might most agreeably incorporate your population into the ranks of this glorious nation. I do believe that you will find the residents of Ponyville to be the most welcoming citizens in the entirety of this forsaken plane. However—it stands to reason that the distances you will need to cross between there and here are far... far less harmonious."

"Your concern for us is most respectable, Your Majesty," Enix said, nodding. "And we would be lying if we said that we expected a tranquil expedition to our place of origination."

Xarchellus spoke: "All of our ancestors have only known disgust and hatred at the hooves of our fellow neighbors. We expect no mercy from other civilizations on this plane." Her muzzle tightened. "With that in mind, we shall endeavor to avoid most kingdoms between here and the Moon Maiden's gracious throne."

"The capabilities of Bleak's Plummet shall assist mightily in this measure," Enix explained. "The entire submersible structure is capable of long-range mobility. So long as we stick to the oceans and keep to ourselves, we should be able to avoid detection from those who would pose a threat. The rest of our vessels shall provide defense as a last resort."

Before either Luna or Celestia could reply, Rainbow Dash rasped: "Don't you get it?! This is where you guys are already tripping over yourselves!" She trotted forward, waving a hoof. "I hate to break it to ya, but the ocean stops dead at the Grand Choke!"

"The... Grand... Choke...?" Xarchellus' wrinkled eyes blinked.

PreviousChapters Next