• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,067 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,067

PreviousChapters Next
Welcome to the Party, Pal

“Is that him?” Whony asked.

Quint nodded, pausing in mid-mop. “Those are Monket's ships, alright.”

Several orphans stared as a pair of steamships cruised in from the northwest, adding smog and fumes to the already filthy air. They approached the northern edge of Red Barge, and the struts glided apart to afford space for the two vessels to dock.

Whony gulped. “Why am I suddenly a lot less jazzed at seeing them now than I was last time?”

Quint grumbled, returning back to his cleaning job. “Grow a pair, will ya?”

“Things are going nuts,” Whony remarked. “I mean... first we've got the slaver of waves showing up. Then we've bagged ourselves the rainbow monster. But now—on top of all that—we have a griffon guardian down in the brig? I mean, how deep is Skagra willing to scrape?”

“If he knows there's something to exploit, he's going full force,” Quint said. “Would you expect any less of the stallion?”

“Just...” Whony gulped. “I've never seen him balance this much bullcrap before!” He blinked. “You think he'd actually bluff now that he's got so much weight on his shoulders?”

“What do you mean 'bluff?'” Quint glared at Whony.

“I mean... what does Skagra actually expect to get out of the bastards in Rohbredden? They have enough resources to surround us on all sides and reduce Red Barge to sea junk!”

“It already is sea junk,” a nearby colt muttered.

Several foals chuckled.

“No, seriously!” Whony frowned. “At first, I was kinda thrilled to watch what was unfolding. But now—with two mega important prisoners instead of one... I'm starting to think that Skagra is going in over his head! And he only has half of one!”

“I'm sure Skagra has a backup plan for anything,” Quint said.

“Yeah.” Whony snorted. “But if his original plan fails, then that mean his backup plan is carried on our sorry carcasses.”

“Pretty much,” Quint replied.

Whony blinked at that. He hung his head with a sigh. “... ... ...has any top dredger lasted as long as Skagra?”

“Not that I know of,” Quint said.

“Why's that?”

“Isn't it obvious?” Quint muttered. “Nopony's turned the steam on him and roasted his ass.”

“So... like... what happens if Skagra goes all the way?” Whony looked up, eyes narrow. “What if he becomes the first top dredger to raise Red Barge to another level?”

“Yeah...” Another colt leaned in, breathing. “Could you imagine if Skagra owned the seas?”

“The Syndicate's gone!”

“It could happen!”

“Could you imagine?”

Silence hung over the laboring heads.

Quint dunked his mop into a bucket again and sighed. “Do any of us really... really expect to live long enough to see that happen?”

Whony winced. The other colts had nothing to say.

Beyond the central platform, the northern struts rattled into place. Loud metallic thunder echoed over the murky waters. From a distance, a yellow-coated stallion with green dreads descended from one steamship, flanked by slaves and servants. With a shifty trot, Monket made his way for the lofty office on the central platform.

“One thing's for sure,” a colt muttered. “The slaver of waves isn't going to be happy.”

“About what?”

“The griffon. Who else?”

“Nah... I think he'll be plenty happy.”

“Why's that?”

“Why else?” A colt smirked. “He's likely the stallion Skagra pays to murder the bloody sap.”

Around this point, Swab had strolled up with extra buckets of water. He scuffled to a stop, nearly spilling the containers' contents. “Huh?” The one-eared colt blinked. “Murder who?”

“Pffft... great...” Whony rolled his eyes. “...all the turds have risen to the surface today.”

“Who's getting murdered?” Swab stammered.

“Who else?” A colt looked over. “The prisoner.”

Swab gasped, dropping the buckets. “He's going to axe the Rainbow Rogue?!” he exclaimed, voice cracking.

“Pffft... what, have you been living under a rock or something?” Another foal cackled. “The griffon!”

“The member of the Right Talon of Verlaxion that went snooping below deck!”

Swab breathed a bit easier. Even still, his muzzle hung agape. He glanced south, shuddering. “...the griffon from Rohbredden...”

“Heh... if he's lucky, that monster in the brig will eat him alive before Monket gets ahold of him.”

“Yeah! Haha!”

“I'd give a day's worth of nibbles to see that.”

Swab bit his lip, squirming in place.

“Hey!” Whony barked. “Dipshit! Grab more buckets!”

“Erm... r-right...” His one ear folding back, Swab scampered off to do just that.

Quint watched with a surly squint. Nostrils flaring, he returned dutifully to his mopping duties.


A raspy voice drifted across the stuffy, pungent air of the brig.

“Alright. Alright. I believe you. So he doesn't look permanently damaged on the outside. But what about from the inside?”

Silence.

“Well, I dunno. You're all ghosty n'stuff. Can't you... like... dip your head halfway into his chest and take a look at his bones or something? Isn't that a trick you can pull off?”

More silence.

“Fluttershy, for crying out—” A groan. “You're a living spirit! You have no breakfast to throw up! So what if it grosses you out a little?”

Keris' magenta eyes fluttered open. The battered griffon lay crookedly against a wall, glancing out the metal bars of his cell. He blinked several times.

The voice continued—like a scratchy whisper: “Yeah. Okay. You got me there. No, I don't expect you to know as much about griffon body stuff as... say... bunny rabbit body stuff. But, still, I don't think it'd hurt to try and see. And it's not like any of the melon fudges here are going to do anything to help hi—” The voice cut off, then resumed with a sharp tone: “Well Twilight's not around to give advice with that stuffy egghead of hers, is she?!” More silence, than a groaning sigh. “Flutters. Darn it, Flutters. Don't... don't cry. I'm not mad at you, I'm just... huh...?”

Keris shifted—winced—and shifted again. A tiny groan escaped his beak as he stretched his aching muscles. To his frustration, he could only flex his limbs so far before the binding metal of his shackles forced him to stumble back onto his haunches.

“He is...?” Something shifted in the cell opposite the Lieutenant. A petite source of weight. “Since when?” A beat. “Now?”

“Grnnngh...” Keris tilted his head up to the ceiling. “Hello?”

Everything went dead quiet.

Keris' eyes darted to the left... then to the right.

At last, the voice cracked from beyond: “I think you perched in the wrong place, buddy.”

“I beg to differ...” Keris winced as he spoke. “I simply... mrmmff... chose an ambitious way to go about doing it.”

“Heh... if you say so. Can you move your limbs?”

“Scarcely.” Keris exhaled out his beak nostrils. “The miscreants who run this place have made a fine art out of fettering a griffon's limbs and wings.” His eyes traveled along the lengths of his cell, tracing each edge and corner. “It's quite alarming, actually.”

“Yeah, well, these miscreants mean business, buddy. If you can find a way to make a bargain and get out of here, then that's all for the best.”

“The Right Talon of Verlaxion does not negotiate with criminals,” Keris grunted.

“The Right Who?”

“Hrmmffff... your voice certainly doesn't carry a Continentalist accent,” Keris remarked. “I was here on official business from the Council. I discovered a little too much about what lies beneath this Goddess-forsaken place, and before I could carry the information back to my superiors... I was ambushed.”

“Seems like you bit off a bit more than you could chew.”

“I was headstrong,” Keris muttered, his eyes thin as he took in the shadows around him. “I pitied the poor ponies being enslaved by the wretched overseer here, and such sympathy—however noble—was my downfall.” He sighed. “I should have gone about this intelligently. Even more so...” His headcrest drooped. “...I should have obeyed my Commander's words.”

Silence.

“Well...” The raspy voice muttered. “...some of us belong here more than others.”

Keris raised an eyecrest to that. “And what might they want with a pony such as you?”

No response.

Keris pivoted his feathery head. “Hello...?”

More silence... then—

“Did you really come from the continent?”

“That I did,” Keris remarked. He tried to get up—only for his limbs to scream in pain. Stifling a groan, he slumped over to his side, resting against the bars of his cell. After a heavy sigh, he muttered on: “And now that I'm in this despicable hole, all communication with the mainland has been completely cut off.”

“Yeesh. That sucks.”

“I beg to differ.” Keris exhaled. “My comrades will know that something is amiss. Commander Seraphimus will surely send the rest of the Talon to retrace my past steps.”

“Commander Seraphimus?”

“That's right.”

“... ... ...now that's a goofy-ass name if I ever heard one.”

Keris frowned towards the bars. “Have you truly never heard of the Right Talon of Verlaxion?”

“No. But I know a thing or two about your Goddess.”

“Oh?” Keris blinked. “Care to elaborate, friend?”

Dreadful silence.

Keris listened to the sound of his own breath.

At last, the voice muttered: “Mrmmfff... what does it matter anymore? Friggin' beacon's a gazillion miles away... behind Celestia—knows how many traps.” A bout of silence. “Fluttershy, please, I really don't want to get into it.”

“Eh...?” Keris' beak parted. “Is... is there somepony else in there with—?”

“You know what? Just forget it. You're in here. I'm in here. It sucks. But there's not much we can do about it. And even if we could... heh... sounds like you've got friends who are willing to bail you out. That's... that's a good thing, y'know. I do hope they get you out of here, whoever they are.”

“I... have the utmost faith in them,” Keris murmured, squinting curiously between the bars. “Provided—of course—that the delightful Mr. Skagra doesn't attempt exterminating me beforehand.” He winced, shifting where he sat. “I can only hope to be so blissfully lucky.”

“Not in that shape you won't,” the voice muttered. “Here...” There was a loud scraping sound. “Have this.”

“Huh?” Keris glanced over his shoulder.

Through the bars, he caught the glint of a metal tray full of rice and meaty bits being slid his way across the brig's narrow corridor. A blue hoof was shoving the thing from the opposite cell. “The rice is... okay. But there's tons of meat in it. And I don't eat meat.”

“You don't eat—?” Keris blinked. “But... aren't you famished?

“There's a crazy scamp of a kid from above deck who loves smuggling me fruit. Don't ask... and don't breathe a word about it. They're liable to skin him alive.”

Keris gulped. “You have my word...”

“So here...” The blue hoof shoved the tray as far as she could reach through the bars. “Griffon it up.”

Keris winced, shifting about. He fumbled with his forelimbs, but found that the manacles made it impossible for him to properly reach through the bars. So—turning around—he resorted to fitting his lion's tail through the bars. The prehensile limb caught a corner of the tray. His muscles tightened, dragging the food dish towards him.

But before the aching griffon's beak could even begin to salivate, his magenta hawkeyes caught a sheen of light off the prisoner's mane hair, and it flickered with every color of the rainbow.

“... ... ...!” Keris jerked back. His tail inadvertently flipped the tray, tossing rice and scraps of fish across the brig's main corridor. “You.”

The pegasus said nothing. The blue skull and rainbow mane drifted back into shadow until all Keris could see was the tell-tale outline of a ruby pendant.

He stood up, muscles tightening in the face of excrutiating pain. “I should have known!” His beak tightened. “Skagra had you in his hold the entire time! Part of me knew, but I allowed myself to get distracted with the horrors below deck!”

“Well congratulations,” the voice muttered with a bob of the ruby lightning bolt. “You're awesome, but a moron.”

“Watch your tongue!” Keris frowned. He channeled the pain from his bruised limbs as he spat: “You're wanted across all of Rohbredden and the seven seas for the atrocities you've committed against Verlaxion and Her foals!”

“Jee, what a surprise.”

“And you would boast of desecrating the Goddess' glory with such a flippant tone?!”

“Dude, I'm not boasting—”

“Then what have you got to say for yourself?!”

“Look, I can tell you're pretty ticked, so I'm just gonna let you simmer do—”

No!” Keris hissed, pressing his beak up to the bars as he snarled in the direction of the opposite cell. “You do not get to rest easy with the sinful burden you've sown!”

The voice drifted back, icily this time: “Do not talk to me about burdens...”

“You've wrecked an entire culture... ruined lives... tore an entire civilized commune to ashes...”

“...ruined friendships...”

Keris cocked his head to the side. “Huh?”

“Tell me something I don't know...”

“Alright. I think I shall.” Keris fumed. “Those poor, homeless monks inside the Quade? Dozens of them are dead now because of you.”

Dead silence.

“The faithful... the penitent... the elderly...?!” Keris shook his head. “They did not last a single week in the wake of your carnage!”

More silence... until a shuddering voice breathed back: “K... K-Kyron the Elder...?”

“Deceased,” Keris said bluntly. “And those who are actually healthy continue to refuse supplies and medical attention. I mean... what did you expect, monster?! Those monks were secure in their tranquility and worship for hundreds of years. And then you went in and ripped their precious Reed to shreds? What else would you expect would happen from such blatant disregard for the livelihood of others?!”

There was the shuffling of circular hoofsteps in the other cell. Eventually, the pegasus' pacing scuffled to a stop. “... ... ...I take it you've been there?”

“Rainbow Dash... if that is your real name, and not some pathetic alias...” Keris nodded. “Yes, I most certainly did venture through the Quade. It was part of my investigation for the Council of Verlaxion—to capture you and bring you to justice before some avaricious group of deviants got to you first.” He shuddered, his manacles rattling. “Alas, it would appear I've failed on all fronts.”

“Tell me something, buddy...”

“Do not even pretend to call me—”

Tell me,” the raspy voice grew firm, sharp. “Did any of the ponies there testify about me actually killing anyone?”

Keris blinked. “Huh?”

“Did the monks have eyewitness testimony of me being some crazy, freaky monster? Ripping throats out? Eating ponies alive?”

Keris squinted. “No. They did not. But you—”

“They did it do themselves, didn't they?” the voice muttered, wilted and melancholic. “Those crazy monks whipped and scarred themselves into a bloody mess as soon as I left.”

Keris exhaled heavily. “Then you actually are capable of perceiving their plight.” He slumped back on his haunches. “You're not some mindless, demonic wraith out to destroy all things blessed by Verlaxion. You're... you're just a thug. A winged bully who stumbled upon an opportune congregation of innocent lives to ruin when the opportunity presented itself. Just what have you to gain from all this?”

“Dude, don't you get it? Those monks would be alive and well today if they weren't so backwards and crazy to hurt themselv—”

“To even think about putting the blame on anyone else but yourself is an insult to all things living!” Keris snapped. “Now I want to know, Rogue. Just what have you to gain from all this?!”

You wouldn't understand even if I told you!” the voice roared back with far greater ferocity than even Keris was expecting. He squinted to see a lightning-bolt shaped beam of ruby energy glowing, pulsating, then dissipating from beyond the bars. “Nopony understands! Not even—” The shouting breath cut off... sputtered... then limped on through a sigh. “Not even my friends.”

Keris raised an eyecrest, listening curiously.

“I... I guess I-I'm just fooling myself by calling them that anymore,” she muttered. A slight pause. “Well, of course I don't mean you, Flutters. And—yes, I can say that about them! Not like they're gonna be around to hear it! Or give a darn about anything! Or... or...”

Shuddering silence.

The voice cracked: “I'm not proud of what I did at the Quade. I'm not proud of a lot of things I do on my journey. But the journey must go on... at all costs. There's too much that depends on it. I'm not the only one who knows this. Verlax does too. And she's set things up... so many darn things. The monks were part of it. For all I know, this stinkin' place is as well. I... I don't know what she hopes to get out of me being here, but if the continent's already sending poor saps like you to lock me up, then I can already tell the whole mess has reached the Divine's lair by now. So... it must be part of her plan. It must be... be...”

Keris blinked in confusion.

Finally, the voice muttered: “My only regret about the Quade... is not doing what I did sooner.” A deep breath. “I should have been upfront about what I needed to do. I should have been honest... honest with Kyron... honest with Bard and Wildcard... honest with my friends. But it's too late for all of that now. It was too friggin' late from the beginning. Heck, an entire lifetime of honesty can't do crap to pierce a stubborn wall built out of thousands of years of lies. Perhaps... perhaps that's Verlax's latest test... the trap I'm now in. The whole continent. These seven seas. If that's so... then... th-then I think she's winning.”

The pegasus' voice ended with a sigh.

After a full minute of dull contemplation, Keris finally murmured: “You're insane.” He grimaced, beak twitching. “Perhaps you are from beyond the Blight. My goddess... such madness.” He slowly shook his head. “I no longer know whether I should despise you or pity you.”

Her response was swift enough to startle the lieutenant: “Welcome to the party, pal.”

PreviousChapters Next