• Published 8th Jun 2015
  • 642 Views, 70 Comments

Legacy of Illumination - Metool Bard



An interactive memoir written by the founder of the Wonderbolts.

  • ...
0
 70
 642

Heroes, Stories, and the Future

How high does the sycamore grow?

You'll have to ask Snapdragon that question. He's the gardener, not me.

What's your favorite weapon?

My bare hooves. I never had much need for any fancy toys when it came to combat, except for the occasional thundercloud. And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Have you ever met a pony that somehow could know and do things that defied all logic, and yet was just accepted for what he or she was?

That's, oddly specific, Mr. Book. I'm afraid I don't really know anypony like that. Kinda wish I did, now that you mention it. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

Who was your bigger hero when you were a filly and why?

As I said in the beginning, my biggest heroes growing up were Commander Hurricane, Private Pansy, and my grandfather Aquilinus. They all inspired me to join the military, and their actions helped shape the pony I am today.

Who are your heroes of today's day and age?

Well, I can't speak for myself, but these days, ponies have a lot of heroes to look up to. For pegasi, there are the Wonderbolts, of course. The unicorns have the great wizards and magi such as Starswirl the Bearded and Meadowbrook. The Earth Ponies have the pioneers of the deep south, such as the Apple Family. And of course, we all look up to Princess Celestia for her amazing leadership and benevolence.

Do you consider yourself a hero?

Indeed I do, Mr. Book. Indeed I do.

Also, For the love of all that is good and right, tell me an emu story! I'm begging you, lives are on the line! Just make up something, anything. The fate of the world depends on it!

...

You really are desperate, aren't you? Well, seeing as this may very well be the last time we speak like this, I guess I could indulge you just this once.

Once upon a time, there was a book who was obsessed with emus. It constantly pestered the pegasus writing in it to talk about how epic and badass they were, even though they had nothing to do with her life. Finally, she gave in and told the book this story. Afterwards, she gave the book to an emu so they could marry each other. The end.

If given the chance, is there anything you wish to do over again?

I would really love nothing more than to go back and save Songbird. I know, her death wasn't really my fault. But the reason I formed the Wonderbolts is because I wanted to break away from the militaristic pegasi traditions of old. I really should've taken a stand and let Songbird drop out of the EUP. Military life just wasn't for her, and she paid the price for being thrust into it against her will. Out of all of my regrets in life, that one will continue to sting me the most.

What do you want to happen more than anything in the world?

I'm not really sure. I mean, I couldn't really ask for anything more at this point. The Wonderbolts continue to achieve what we've set out to do, and Equestria continues to bask in an era of peace. There's nothing else I really want. Well, except maybe the return of Princess Luna, but I recognize that if she does come back, it won't be in my lifetime.

Based on your experiences, what do you hope for future generations to learn, do and become?

Future generations should never lose sight of what the Wonderbolts stand for. We work together to protect the peace and inspire pegasi of all stripes to strive for greatness. For any aspiring Wonderbolt, that means a lot of things.

For instance, being the best does not mean you're perfect. At the same time, however, don't become discouraged when your life becomes turbulent. Know your limits, but don't be afraid to push yourself if the situation calls for it. Teamwork is just as important as being great on your own. Hold nothing back against your foes, but try not to lash out at your friends if you can help it. Be mindful of how you conduct yourself in front of others.

But most importantly, know that you are but one pony. Even if you're making a difference that'll shape the very course of history, you're doing so for the sake of future generations, and you're not doing it alone. We all have our egos, but the Wonderbolts keep them in check for the sake of everypony else. Never, ever become blinded by selfish pride. Instead, be proud that you are showing other ponies how great they can be, and that you're contributing to this wonderful legacy that started with an ambitious young general and her squadron wanting to give young ponies something to aspire to, even if they had no interest in the military. As long as future Wonderbolt COs continue to take these concepts to heart, I believe the Wonderbolts will endure for many generations to come.

And that, I believe, is that. Once again, thank you for everything, Mr. Book. We've had some good times and some, weird times. But all in all, I've enjoyed answering your questions and getting my memoirs in order. Now, if you'll excuse me, I still have to find an emu for you to marry.

...

Just kidding!

The (Official) End

Author's Note:

((OOC: Like I said last chapter, I might end up directly replying to all future questions in the Comment Section of this story as Firefly if anyone is still interested in this. However, if you do still have questions, try to make them short and easy to answer. No one wants to read a chapter-long comment.))

Comments ( 4 )

Well thank Bard for putting this out there and going along with some of our rather strange tangents (though that was half of the fun). It was an honor being a part of it.

8146964

What is Easy Gliders baby sisters name, and how does she look? (Please let it be Rainbow Dash)

It certainly has been a while, Mr. Book. Though I must say, you're just as strange as ever. What makes you think I can control the names of my grandchildren?

Anyway, Easyglider's sister's name is Wind Whistler. Snapdragon wanted to name her after my old colleague, Thistle Whistle. She's a fine-looking filly. Really has her mother's eyes.

How old are you?

I think a better question is why you're asking me that now? Anyway, I've got about ninety-three years under my belt.

Which bird do you do you like best?

I know you think I'm gonna say emu, but really, it has to be the chickadee. That's Medley's favorite, too.

Why don't fish die when lightning hits the sea?

Because the whole ocean isn't electrocuted? I dunno.

I'm really interested in historical lore. Either through your own experiences or through what your grandfather told you, can you tell a little bit about the pre-unification times?

...dear firefly
I wanna ask you something personal
I dont know if you're alive now or not but if you arent? Well at least i tried
Anyways i want to let you know there's a prophecy of Luna returning one day...but it will be long after you're gone
Ahem
on the longest day of the thousandth night she shall be aided in her escape by the stars and threaten to bring night eternal
but 6 mares will discover a special connection between them and unite the Elements of harmony and bring about the Moon's true self through the Magic Of Friendship and set about a brand new generation of friendship
If you do read this i do hope you understand Firefly
Also I know this sounds weird in a book but
you are the best pony from your generation

Login or register to comment