• Published 8th Jun 2015
  • 642 Views, 70 Comments

Legacy of Illumination - Metool Bard



An interactive memoir written by the founder of the Wonderbolts.

  • ...
0
 70
 642

Greetings, Parents, and Guilty Pleasures

Good morning, how are you today? Anything interesting happen so far?

Oh, um, good morning to you as well, Mr. Book. I'm doing alright, thank you for asking.

As for interesting things, well, my grandson Easyglider is coming over for a visit later today. That's always nice.

What were your parents like? Since they weren't in the military, in what other ways did they inspire you and shape your life?

At first glance, it doesn't seem like I took anything away from my parents. My father worked in the Weather Factory, and my mother was a professional painter. Now, like any good pegasus, I know the basics of weather manipulation and all that. However, that was never a driving force for me in my life. Neither was painting, even though that's what my mother wanted me to do.

However, my folks were actually very progressive for their time. They told me and Medley that no matter what we decide to do with our lives, they'll still love us. In fact, they actively encouraged Medley to become a singer and break away from the typical pegasus traditions. This upbringing greatly contributed to the founding principles of the Wonderbolts, and I'll always be thankful to them for that.

Sometimes, I wish Songbird's parents were more like my own. Parents are supposed to love their children unconditionally, not force them to live up to their expectations. That's why when Snapdragon was born, I promised to follow my own mother's example and let him pursue his own goals. And look at him now. He's married, he has a wonderful son, and he's living a nice, humble life as a gardener. Even though he's not following in my footsteps, I couldn't be more proud of him.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

...

Is this really an appropriate topic for a memoir? Wait, why am I asking you this? Apparently, you think flightless birds are an appropriate topic for a memoir.

Ugh, fine. Just, don't laugh, okay? My guilty pleasure is preening. I know it's something all pegasi do, but for me, it just feels so, good. And not the kind of good I felt when I got my Cutie Mark or formed the Wonderbolts; I mean more of the, naughty kind of good. I can't help it; my wings are very sensitive to physical contact. Oh, it's not like I can't flap them without getting stimulated or anything like that. That would be just silly. They just get all tingly whenever they're touched or, nibbled.

I suppose it makes sense if you think about it. After all, these wings are my livelihood. I always made it a point to take very good care of them; perhaps I went so overboard that it started feeling good. Heck, even now, I make sure to keep my wings in prime condition. And truth be told, it still feels just as pleasurable to preen them now as it did back when I was young.

I remember this one night, right after Dragonfly and I got married. For our honeymoon, he took us to this dragon's nest he had been researching when he met me. I know, weird place for a honeymoon. For the record, it was all his idea, not mine. All I said was he could choose the location as long as it made him happy. And of course, he wanted to make me happy, too.

During our first night in that nest, I told him my little secret about my wings. What happened next was something truly magical. We snuggled up together on the stone floor, the gemstones glistening all around us. The mere fact that we were sharing this space with large, fire-breathing dragons got my heart pumping a mile a minute. And the night only got more intense as I stretched out on my stomach, my wings fully outstretched as Dragonfly leaned in, pressed his hoof against the small of my back, and—

Whoa, whoa! Where did all that come from?! Uh, excuse me for a minute.

***

Okay, I'm back. I, just had to get a few things out of my system. No, I will not explain what those things were, and if you ask, I'm throwing you into the sun. I don't care if nopony has ever flown that high; I'll find a way, Celestia dammit. In fact, let us agree never to speak of this again, got it? Good.

Do you like trains?

I prefer flying, but when traveling through places like the Frozen North, I believe trains are preferable. Nopony wants to be flying in a blizzard, after all. Heck, even today, I still fly almost everywhere. Call me a stubborn old nag if you must, but for a pegasus, it's the best way to travel. But again, not during a blizzard. I'm not that stubborn.

Also,

...

Okay, now I'm thoroughly convinced that you're a remnant of Discord's reign. There's no other way you'd be capable of, well, that.