• Published 8th Jun 2015
  • 642 Views, 70 Comments

Legacy of Illumination - Metool Bard



An interactive memoir written by the founder of the Wonderbolts.

  • ...
0
 70
 642

Quests, Muffins, and Karma

Hmm, well played at the Bridge of Death Firefly. Very well played indeed. So what would your idea of an epic quest be?

First of all, thank you. I guess.

Secondly, I'm not sure I'm the right pony to ask about epic quests. Being a military pony, I've never had the time nor the inclination to go on grand adventures into the unknown. I wanted to be where ponies needed me most. That's not to say I don't enjoy reading about such adventures from time to time. After all, that's what the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant is all about.

I suppose if I were to go on a quest, it would be one of diplomacy. There are several nations that share a border with Equestria, but because of their isolationist attitudes and remote locations, we don't know all that much about them. I wouldn't mind heading out to the Neko Shogunate or Yakyakistan to learn more about their respective cultures.

However, I don't think that's going to happen in my lifetime. The nekos are still very protective of their borders, and Princess Celestia wishes to respect that. As for the yaks, well, there's no real way to get to their home. As I mentioned earlier, the weather up north is simply too unpredictable to fly in. Not only that, but the mountains leading up to Yakyakistan are legendarily treacherous. Few ponies have been brave enough to attempt the climb, but from what I understand, none of them have come back alive. It's a miracle we even know Yakyakistan exists at all.

...

Oh, sorry. I'm rambling again, aren't I? I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that I'm not the epic quest type. Sorry to disappoint, Mr. Book.

What is your favorite type of muffin? How about your least favorite?

I don't often eat muffins myself, but when I do, I prefer the sweet, alluring flavor of a lemon poppyseed muffin. Those who think lemons can't be sweet don't know what they're missing.

As for least favorite, well, I did have a sweet potato muffin once. I know, it sounds rather bizarre for a muffin flavor. That's actually why I picked it up in the first place; I was feeling a bit adventurous. It wasn't bad per se, but it tasted kinda bland. It certainly didn't taste like sweet potato, I can tell you that much. I dunno, maybe something was lost in the baking process or something. I wouldn't know; I'm not a baker.

Why do bad things happen to good ponies?

Believe me, Mr. Book. I've found myself asking that question every now and then; usually when I think about Thistle Whistle and Songbird. Of course, somewhere in the back of my mind, I already know the answer. I'm not happy with it, but from my perspective, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Any time you put your life on the line, karma is not a factor and it never will be. It doesn't matter how many good deeds you've done or how pure your heart is; none of that translates into a magic shield that protects you from everything life throws your way. Thistle ignored her own illness just to support me, but it's not like the virus was going to give her a free pass for her efforts. Life just doesn't work like that.

Now, I believe in doing unto others and whatnot. It wasn't easy for me to follow that philosophy due to my temper, but it will still get you far in life. Treating others with kindness and making sacrifices for the greater good are qualities that I admire in ponies. And it's true that treating a pony the same way you want to be treated will probably lead to that pony respecting you in return. You just have to realize that as beneficial as this mentality is, it doesn't automatically make you invincible. In fact, Thistle died because she sacrificed too much for the sake of others. Not that I think she planned it that way, mind you. It just, happened. A lot of things in life just happen. And they happen to us whether we are good or evil; virtuous or vile.

Being a good pony does not mean you're entitled to having a worry-free life, Mr. Book. It's merely a step in the right direction, nothing more. Then again, maybe I'm just jaded due to my military background. I'll leave that for you to decide. If you can decide anything at all, that is.

Also, why can't you go outside and fight an emu right now?

A few reasons. One, I don't know where I would find one. Two, I'm an old mare. As much as I miss pulling off death-defying maneuvers and such, I have to accept the fact that my body simply wouldn't be able to take it. I'm retired for a reason, after all. And three, I don't really want to. I only have so much time left in this world; I've got better things to do with it than pick a fight with some flightless bird just because a magic book told me to. For instance, I still have to finish these memoirs.

I apologize if I came off as rude, but you get the idea, Mr. Book. At least, I hope you do.