• Published 8th Jun 2015
  • 642 Views, 70 Comments

Legacy of Illumination - Metool Bard



An interactive memoir written by the founder of the Wonderbolts.

  • ...
0
 70
 642

Nightmare Moon, Epitaphs, and Curiosity

You mentioned the Royal Pony Sisters earlier. Who are the ponies in this group and how do they relate to the current rulers like Princess Celestia? What do they do?

Um, the Royal Pony Sisters are Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Everypony calls them that, or at least they did before Princess Luna became Nightmare Moon. I don't know where you got the impression that they were completely different ponies, Mr. Book.

What was it like learning of Nightmare Moon’s rise and subsequent banishment?

Y'know, it's funny. Nightmare Moon had such an impact on Equestria, yet most ponies nowadays don't believe that she even exists. She's just this scary story parents tell their children on Nightmare Night. But I know she's much more than that, as do most ponies my age.

When Princess Celestia decided to form the EUP, she didn't hide anything about the ordeal from us. I still remember how sad she looked, as if she was trying to hold her tears back during the entire meeting. That couldn't have been an easy thing for her to do. Actually, I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up a little myself.

See, when I heard about Princess Luna turning into Nightmare Moon and being banished, I tried to picture myself in Princess Celestia's position. What if Medley suddenly went mad and became a threat to Equestria? Could I do what Princess Celestia did? Would I be able to do the right thing, even if it meant hurting my sister? I'd like to think that I would, but without being in that situation myself, I can't say that in full confidence. Of course, Medley is no Nightmare Moon. She was never jealous of me growing up, mainly because the military life wasn't for her. Again, we're on opposite ends of the spectrum. But it didn't prevent me from thinking about such things.

I hid these thoughts the best I could during the meeting, and I accepted my position as the new leader of the EUP Pegasus Division with honor and pride. But once we were all dismissed, I sought out Medley and gave her a big hug. That's just how much Princess Celestia's story affected me. I suppose in a way, it taught me not to take my own sibling for granted.

Which is why I really don't like it when young ponies today just write off Nightmare Moon as being this spooky fairytale. I was around when Princess Luna ruled alongside her sister. I saw her in my dreams, and she never looked that unhappy. Whatever happened to her, it must've taken Princess Celestia by surprise. Granted, I didn't bear witness to Princess Luna's fall from grace. The most I saw was the moon being shoved back into the sky when it was supposed to be dawn, followed by a light show that could be seen from every corner of Equestria.

But once Princess Celestia gave us the context for what happened, I never doubted her words for a second. After all, she wouldn't just make up a story like that on a whim. Plus, you can't really fake the kind of pain Princess Celestia was going through at that moment. Even though she tries her hardest to put on a brave face for her subject, I think everypony in that meeting saw how broken up she was about the whole thing.

Doing the right thing hurts sometimes, Mr. Book. But when your nation depends on you, your own personal comfort has to come second.

What do you want your tombstone to say?

Whoa now, Mr. Book. We're jumping the gun a bit, aren't we? Trust me, I may be old, but I'm not on my deathbed just yet.

Anyway, I guess if I were to choose, it'd have to be something nice and poetic. Something that really reflects my life, y'know? As long as it conveys that message, I'm not that picky about the details. I'm sure my family or my former squadron can come up with something fitting.

Actually, Medley once joked saying that it should say "Danger Was Her Life." It was clearly a jab at my military status, but I don't think she'd go so far as to actually put that on my tombstone. She knows full well that there's more to my life than just danger. Though truth be told, danger did play a very significant part. Such is the life of a soldier/stunt flyer.

Have you heard of the great emu war?

Uh, no. I have not. Why, should I have?

And most importantly, how do you defeat a mini Minotaur?

In my experience, the size of the minotaur never really mattered. Then again, I've never fought a minotaur in direct combat. True, the minotaur country did get a bit uppity during the days before the EUP, but us pegasi only had to contend with their airship battalions. That's actually part of the reason why Equestria's assembly line churned out so many warships after the banishment of Nightmare Moon. They knew the power of the minotaur country's aerial navy, and they didn't want to be caught off-guard lest they take advantage of the power struggle and strike.

Though like I said, such fears were for the most part unfounded. Over the years, the minotaurs have become quite amiable; just like the griffons. Unlike the griffons, however, I couldn't really tell you why that is. Minotaurs aren't a common sight in Equestria, and those that live here try to put their past behind them. At least, that's what I gathered from what few minotaurs I've talked to. My best guess is that it has to do with Equestria's cow population intervening on our behalf or something, but that gets into a lot of inter-species politics that I could not even begin to wrap my head around.

...

Where was I going with this? Oh, right. Point is that if you want to know how to deal with a small minotaur in direct combat, you're better off asking a member of the EUP who's an Earth Pony. They'd have a lot more to say on the subject than I.