• Published 18th May 2012
  • 2,191 Views, 44 Comments

What Went Wrong - Gremlin Grenade



A look into the mind of Ponyville's most "challenged" resident.

  • ...
6
 44
 2,191

My name is Twilight Sparkle

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned about something special, something that may be more than friendship. Today I learned about family.

A family, by definition, is two or more ponies who share genetic traits. When a unborn pony is conceived, they borrow genetic traits from their progenitors, causing them to exhibit similar physical and instinctual traits, even to the point of sharing habits or phobias. The term family is used to define this biological bond between ponies, and it is an instinctual desire for parents to wish to care for their child, thus carrying on their legacy by way of the concept of a family. However, today I learned that a family is something more than that.

I learned that even when everypony else abandons you, you will still have family. Family isn't something that can be traded for, forgotten or ignored. It's the bond that forms between ponies who love each other more than anything, and would be willing to make great sacrifices for each other. Family always protect each other, they always care for each other, and families stop at nothing to make sure the others in their family are happy.

I also learned that family isn't just something that is passed down by DNA. Family is a bond, formed in love rather than in conception, that is the only bond that remains unbreakable against any struggles. While nearly all ponies who are related to one another genetically are held together by this bond, sometimes it can be found in ponies completely unrelated to one another, a bond beyond friendship, formed of pure love. This is what family truly is, the form of unconditional love for another pony, that one would make any sacrifice to see the other's happiness.

Today, I saw that bond in a wonderful mare and her love for a young filly, and in a mother, treated unfairly by fate, who refuses to let her love for her family be diminished. This mother, through the nature of her circumstances, has been forced to separate from the one she loves the most.

Ditzy Doo Hooves is a mare who has struggled all her life, and through legal complications, she faces the loss of the most important thing she has left: her family. A reasonable, though technically improper, proposal has been made by a local pony who cares so much for the Hooves that I believe she is already part of their family.

In normal circumstances I would consider this an abuse of my relationship to you, but I ask that you please allow this family to bypass the legal technicalities so that they can remain together and happy. Just as I consider myself family with my dearest friends, I believe it is painful and unfair to see this family suffer simply because they are not all bound by genetics. Families are determined by love, and there are few places that I've seen so much.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle








P.S.Tell Mom, Dad, and Shining that I'm coming to visit soon.

Comments ( 15 )

1047151 hold up hold up first you say depry hooves is the mom and Ditzy's the Foster mom i get that but who the fuck is Ditzy Doo Hooves?

1048037
Derpy is Ditzy. Ditzy Doo Hooves is her legal name, Derpy is just a derogatory nickname given to her. She calls herself Derpy because she's not particularily offended by it, but since the ponies in the later chapters are trying to be formal in their letters they call her by her legal name.

1048027
That was kind of the point; these things happen in real life all the time, and yet no one is to blame because everyone has a valid reason for their opinion. Unfortunately, bureaucracy and technicalities tend to mix poorly with real human beings, and end with a result no one really wants to see happen.

Though I mostly did that because I didn't want to make anyone hate one of the background characters because of something I wrote. :twilightsheepish:
Cheerilee and Mayor Mare don't really deserve it.

1048068 OHH ohay so what now? i mean ditzy in foster care thats gotta be tuff

1048479
First of all, Dinky's the one going into foster care.

Except that the last chapter should explain that Twilight got Princess Celestia herself to intervene, so their whole family can stay together, and Dinky can stay with her mom so long as Sparkler acts as a sort of foster sister. I guess I'll add one more chapter if that doesn't seem clear to most of my readers, from Celestia's perspective. :unsuresweetie:

Once again, Twilight saves the day.

Nice story.^^
However, when you said it was inspired by Flower for Algernon, I expected Derpy to actually become more and more intelligent over the course of the story (The titles of the chapter even kinda fit: First we would have Dinky's reaction, then Derpy's lessons with Cherilee and later with Twilight... Damn. I want to write that story now,but I just don't have time for yet another fanfic idea xD)

1105122
I actually had that idea as a possibility when I was writing the story (especially when I decided to add chapters), but I decided against it because I wanted to write something original and not just an adaptation.

Still, if you go for it, I'm sure it'd be a good read! :twilightsmile:

1105533 Maybe I'll write it someday. But I already have to publish half a dozen of concepts I have xD
Anyway, the story was great, just not what I expected at first :p

1105540
Yeah man, I know that feel. :ajsleepy:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, anyways!

1366471
Well, that was pretty brutally honest. It's unfortunate that you're not going to finish it, because the rest of the story isn't much like the first chapter.

As far as the rape thing... I thought about making Dinky some form of deformed carrot, that could just get pulled out of the ground, but then I decided that I'd need to explain the whole mythos behind that. Because, you know, that's where pony babies come from.

(As far as the misspelling thing, though, I do plan to edit that out a bit, it's just tricky to be more subtle with that).

1366471
Let me clarify something here. This wasn't written with any harsh intentions, especially against Doctor Who (or doctor Whooves, as it were). I didn't intend to demonize any characters that people are fans of, but the doctor (in MLP) has exactly NO characterizations, so I'm not misinterpreting or vilifying a character that has already been established as good (or at least not evil). But the story IS tagged sad, which was there for you to see before you started reading, and that means that unfortunately some sad things have to happen in the story.

I deliberately wrote the doctor in a way that it was up to the reader whether or not it was THE doctor, but if you're honestly offended by my portrayal of him, know that I had it in mind that it's NOT the same doctor.

It's one thing if someone doesn't like my stories, but I'm bothered that people are being actively offended by it. :fluttershysad:

D'awwwwww...

JTG

I enjoyed this story's phonetically written start. The story was unique and conveyed the story clearly. I must say I really enjoyed this for how nonstandard it was. Thank you for a fun departure from a standard first or third person tale.

Login or register to comment