• Published 9th Apr 2014
  • 2,760 Views, 37 Comments

Sing It Out Loud - The Princess Rarity



A humanized OctaScratch romantic comedy in which Octavia tries to pay the bills by offering music lessons to those who are willing to learn how to play instruments. Vinyl Scratch just so happens to be one of her students.

  • ...
10
 37
 2,760

Singing - "Ha, ha, ha, I was born to be a rockstar!"

-- TEMPO --

The afternoon dragged on, with a few baking fiascos and tantrums from the customers, but when Octavia noticed the clock strike at exactly six, she threw off her apron and dashed out of the shop without even a goodbye. She couldn't risk being late, it would give such a bad first impression and word of mouth traveled around quite fast in the city.

Throughout her mad dash through the alleyways and cobblestone streets, Octavia was both worried and excited at the same time. There was the chance someone could be tricking her - she watched the news once in a while - but then again, this could be the beginning of something great.

She was out of breath by the time she had made it to the meeting spot.

Thankfully, the clock on City Hall read 6:20 - so she had time to spare.

Heaving out a tired sigh, Octavia made her way into the recreation center, and walked towards the back room, which as usual, had music spilling out of it. It was the only place in this dreary city that had true beauty to it...

She knocked on the door, and smiled when she noticed who exactly greeted her.

"It's about time you came around."

"Hello to you too, Frederic," Octavia laughed.

"Things were getting quite tedious without you," he pouted.

She rolled her eyes, and ruffled his hair as she entered the room, which was Heaven on land.

Instruments, of every and any kind, were everywhere. If someone could imagine it, anything could be played - and Octavia felt a rush course throughout her veins as she sat down on a bench, and watched as the other people in the room continued with their playing.

"Did they get tired of classical?" she asked.

Frederic shrugged as he sat next to her. "Harpo wanted to 'spice things up' and the Beauty was bored out of her skull," he explained.

As idiotic as it looked, Octavia couldn't help but laugh as she watched Harpo and Beauty Brass goof off as if they were part of a mariachi band. The sight before her was the opposite of what the four of them normally did - which was calming classical music. Then again, she realized, this was Harpo and Beauty Brass. Nothing stayed normal with those two.

"You call this tedious?" Octavia chuckled.

With one last loud "Ole!", the duo ceased with their music and bowed.

Frederic clapped, and smirked. "Encore!" he said.

"That was something else," Octavia added.

Beauty Brass placed her trumpet down back in it's case and she gave a playful wink. "We're here all week, folks!" she practically sang, giving jazz hands as a joke.

"I was clapping because it was over," Frederic pointed out.

"I hate you," Beauty Brass playfully shot back.

"Then dump me!" he laughed.

"I just might," she mused, with a smirk.

"Take your lovers' quarrel outside, you two," Harpo chirped as he got up from his seat.

Octavia bit her lip and prevent the urge to laugh out loud as she noticed how embarrassed her friends were from the little sniping comment from their usually quiet companion.

"Oh, shut up, Harpo," Beauty Brass snapped, as a crimson blush made it's way across her tan complexion. "Whatever you see me and Fred do is nothing compared to what I had to walk in on with you and that boyfriend of yours."

"You said you wouldn't bring that up!" Harpo argued, as he crossed his arms.

"Sorry?" she said, with a mischevious grin.

However, the petite woman let out a light shriek as her best friend began chasing her right out of the music room, their laughter and squeals echoing off of the walls of the rec center.

Frederic threw his hands up and let out a dramatic sigh. "What is my life?" he groaned.

"You have it so hard," Octavia said, trying not to laugh.

She had missed this - just hanging out with her close friends in the music room they had rented together ever since the four of them had moved to the city. Right after high school graduation, they had all made a pact to stay in touch in this big city, through their mutual love of instruments. This room would have been abandoned long ago, along with the equipment, if they hadn't saved it.

"So, explain to me why you haven't been around," Frederic said.

Octavia shrugged. "Simply put, life isn't fair," she replied.

He scowled. "I know how you feel," he sighed. "When we were younger, we were given such unrealistic expectations for life, weren't we? Getting into theatre is harder than I thought."

"No auditions yet?"

"I've gotten plenty," Frederic assured. "But I haven't made it to a single call back."

"You'll be on stage someday," Octavia smiled.

"That'll be the day when Beauty and Harpo finally grow up."

"We heard that!" was the collective response from the hallway.

Frederic rolled his eyes, and got up from his seat, shoving his hands in his pockets. "The three of us are off for a joyride and exploring downtown, want to come with us?" he offered.

Octavia gave a small smile. "I'd love to," she said. "But I'm meeting someone here."

"Whatever for?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm giving music lessons here," she replied hesitantly. "I sort of... need a way to make money."

Frederic nodded. "Beauty started doing the same thing in her apartment," he mused. "I can't blame you for trying that. Good luck."

She gave him a wave as he left, and let out a sigh.

This might be too risky, she said to herself. Maybe I could call that person and-

Voices in the hallway snapped her out of her train of thought.

They were murmurs, a few laughs and then, someone stumbled into the music room.

"Yo, thanks, man! Hey, are you Octavia?"

Letting in a deep breath, and putting on a confident smile, Octavia turned around to face her student. "Yes, I am," she said, about to continue when she saw who exactly was standing in the doorway. To put it simply, she was surprised.

"Hey... I know you. You're the lady from the bakery!"

"Apparently so."

Author's Note:

The ensemble is either portrayed as a bunch of snooty jerks or playful dorks.

..You can guess which one I prefer. :raritywink:

:yay: Don't you just love cliffhangers?!

Comments ( 12 )

The ensemble is either portrayed as a bunch of snooty jerks or playful dorks.

Hmm... I might have to write something where they're either snooty dorks or playful jerks, then. Possibly a combination of both.

Don't you just love cliffhangers?!

let my internal furious rage of 10,000 white hot suns be the answer to if I like cliffhangers to things im enjoying reading:twilightsheepish:

I want more. Have I mentioned I want more? Because I want so much more of this!:pinkiecrazy:

The ensemble is either portrayed as a bunch of snooty jerks or playful dorks.
..You can guess which one I prefer.

You have chosen...wisely

Everything here reminds me of josh. :-(

Josh...

Can't wait for the next update please let it be soon

To your question...
NO I MIGHT FALL OFF!

Why no update?!?!

WHAT?!?!?! CLIFFHANGER?!?!?!?! I'm more of the Leap of Faith type assassin:rainbowlaugh::raritywink:
please no rush but can you maybe update it just got good:fluttercry::fluttercry:

This fic is a lot of fun, there are no errors, the storyline is good. Don't let this die! Tier 3.

I'm guessing Octavia's offering singing lessons, then, or strings? Perhaps musical theory? "Music lesson" is pretty vague.

Considering that Octavia is otherwise used to the noises of the city but Vinyl's singing is described as "screaming", she might actually need some help with singing. If she's self-taught she might not have realized the difference between a voice that is full and a voice that is merely loud. That seems to be pretty common with people who learn to sing on their own.

But how successful a DJ is Vinyl? There are better options available for a popular musician than a no-name with an ad in the paper (although... if she's popular, that would be a way to get lessons without having to worry about it becoming a big deal, like she would if she went to some well-known, really good musician). Considering the timing, I imagine that she heard the last exchange between Lyra and Octavia. The question is whether she's playing a game, or taking advantage of an opportunity.

I hope you continue with this story.

4793643
Yeah! I wanna know what happens next.

Also: Hey, is that Chloe from Life is Strange in your profile pic? Nice choice. =)

Login or register to comment