• Published 13th May 2014
  • 16,490 Views, 1,175 Comments

Because Ponies Are the Size of Cats and They Love to Cuddle - shortskirtsandexplosions



In the future, we'll colonize the solar system, cure cancer, clone the human genome, and build trans-dimensional hoodies that can summon tiny talking horses from an alternate universe. It's pretty snazzy.

  • ...
48
 1,175
 16,490

Couches

“So... uh...” Applejack lies on my chest with her legs folded. She squints aside at the projection. “Is that fella supposed to be handsome or somethin'?”

“Hmmm?” I pause in petting her mane. I'm lying lengthwise on the couch with my head propped up against the armrest “Who, Val Venis?”

“Yeah. The big oily guy.”

I giggle. “You'll need to be a little more specific.”

“The one who struts into the ring with the towel and has the yucky, gravelly voice.”

“Oh. That's Val Venis, alright.”

“Well, is he?”

“Is he what?”

“Handsome, ya silly nitwit!”

“You asking me personally or in general?”

“Both, I reckon.”

I shrug and resume stroking the back of her head. “Well, if he had dropped his porn star gimmick, then maybe I'd give a darn.”

“Dropped his what star gimmick?”

“Uhhhh...” I grimace, then clear my throat.. “Long story short, the idea was that he threw more than just his weight around at people.”

“But it was all fake, right?”

I smirk slyly. “I like to say it was all planned, but the athleticism and high risk was just as real as it gets.”

“So like gymnastics mixed with stage plays... only with more people wallopin' other people with chairs.”

“Yup. Pretty much.”

“Did people really act like that, back then?”

“I dunno. Maybe. If so, it must have been a really awesome time to have been around.”

“Even them tiny little fellas who kept hoppin' all over the place and tryin' to pin Mr. Val Venis down?”

“Oh, you mean Kai En Tai? Pffft. I'm pretty sure they're just stereotypes.”

“Stereotypes?” She turns from the projection to blink at me. “You mean when ponies—erm—people are made out to be somethin' they ain't?”

“Yup. Pretty much. I imagine the portrayal was pretty degrading, too.”

“What, ya mean y'all don't know?”

“Well, I've never met a Japanese person face to face.”

“Really? Why is that?”

“Well, there aren't very many left.” I shrug as I stroke her mane. “The Japanese Archipelago was obliterated off of the face of the Earth over two hundred years ago.”

“Awwwww... that's a darn shame. Was it all that World War Three nonsense?”

“Nah, it was much later. The year... 2120? 2130? Whatever. The same year that Minke Whales gained sentience and pyrokinesis.”

“Y'all don't say...”

“Yeah. Took about a quarter of a century to sign treaties and build the whales an ark so they could piss off to Rigel Kentaurus. As for the impact of the Pacific First Contact, well, right now, there's a cryolab in orbit of Neptune with an emergency stockpile of both Japanese and Norwegian stem cells. Human civilization is saving them for the rainy day when we need to clone people who can reboot the economy... or make a wicked sick bobsled team.”

Applejack giggles and lays her chin against me.

“What?” I smirk. “It's just history!”

“Yes, but it's the way ya say it...”

“Storytelling was never one of my strong suits. Believe me.”

“What makes you say that?”

I sigh out my nostrils and stare at the moving images of sweaty men making sweaty faces. “Because if it was, then I'd be making a much bigger salary than I am now. That's for darn sure.”

“I dun get it. Don't ya love yer job?”

“Well... it suits me fine, but—”

“But what, darlin'?”

I shrug again, staring up at the ceiling as I play with one fuzzy ear after another. She feels so tiny—yet so soft and warm against my sternum. It's hard to believe that something that small and precious could ever bother with... stuff that bothers me.

“You ever get so used to doing something that the motions of it become more important than the reward? Like, you exist to be part of a routine, and then that routine becomes you, and soon you realize that all you're doing is living in the present and your future really doesn't exist?”

“I... uh... I-I can't say that I've ever had to deal with somethin' like that, sugarcube.”

“Well, a lot of it's in my head, but it doesn't make it any less enjoyable.”

“Is this somethin' that most humans run into a lot?”

I snicker, chuckle, and snicker some more.

She squints at me. Her voice vibrates against my chest. “What?”

“Humans are about as predictable as ponies, AJ,” I say. “Ponies are always so happy and kind and pleasant. Humans, however, are always—”

“Plum miserable, I take it.”

I blink. I tilt my head up to look at her. “No.” I shake my head with a smile. “More like 'bored.' Misery? Pffft. That's just part of life. But we've done pretty well for ourselves these last few centuries. You want misery? Read one of my history files the next time you visit. Look up horrible stuff like the Black Plague, the Crusades, the Sudanese Genocides, the First Centauri Invasion, and New Jersey.”

“Already sounds to me like y'all humans have come a long way.”

“But we also have a long way to go. And we know that. You see... believe it or not, we're all about progress. It's just that—well—progress for some is slower than it is for others. Guess it all depends on when you were born. Me for instance?”

“Yeah?”

“What I wouldn't give to be born around the time of the Internet's invention.”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah. To see Net Neutrality when it was still around? Much less in its hayday? Girl, I'm telling you, things were pretty radical back then, and constantly and dynamically changing! After all, this was long before they had to invent crystalline bloodspace and use genetically altered fetuses to act as central telekinetic brain hubs for bypassing the corporate-owned system.”

“Uhhhhh...”

“And you could input information anonymously and create all sorts of riveting debate for the heck of it?” I sigh, feeling Applejack's body coasting down with my deflating ribcage. “Yes... I bet it was all really... r-really exciting.”

She pivots her head to the side, nuzzles my sternum, and stares peacefully at me. “Are ya bored, darlin'?”

I look at her. I lay silent for a while. Then, with a smile, I scratch under her warm chin and say, “Not anymore.”

She smiles. Her eyelids fall shut while she spreads her front forelimbs and drapes herself against me. “Hmmmmmmm...” A contented sigh. “You've got a comfy chest.”

I snicker and glance once more at the projection. “So I've been told.” A clearing of the throat. “Many times.”

“Y'all ever get this comfy with other humans from time to time?”

I feel my blood go cold. I start gnawing on my bottom lip.

She trembles a bit—a wince that runs straight through her body from spine to tail. “Oh, darlin', I'm sorry. That was a might personal question, wasn't it?”

“No. It's okay.” I rub the back of her neck through the hoodie. “I've... uh... I've had significant others from time to time. Just—y'know—not in a long while.”

“Uhm... didja... er...?”

I smirk. “It's okay, Applejack. You can ask.”

“Did y'all cuddle like this?”

“With a few of them,” I say. “Some of the later ones. It was...” I shrug. “...nice.”

“Just nice?”

“Nice enough. But I soon realized that there were things in my life that I had to get in order before I could commit to a legitimate relationship... be it long-term or whatever.”

“Well, reckon it helps to have all yer ducks in a row.”

“Right.”

“And what of the friends you've got now?”

“Hmmm? What about them?”

“Do they like to cuddle?”

I giggle. “No... noooo.”

“Not even that wacky neighbor of yers? The Andy Rice fella?”

“Sometimes I think Aynrandy wants to cuddle... probably do even more... but... heh... that's not happening.

“Well, I'm sorry I even brought it up.”

“Pfft. Don't be. I'm not sorry you asked.” I tilted my head towards her again. “What about you?”

“Hmmm?”

“Ever been the Applejack of another pony's eye?” I say with a wink.

“Heh... can't say that's ever come about.”

“You're kidding me...”

“Now why would I lie to you?”

“I mean—well—I certainly don't have a mental scale for pony attractiveness, but I must say—Applejack—you're one hell of a catch.”

She giggles, then rolls her eyes. “Yer just sassin' me now.”

“No! I mean it! You're honest, intelligent, hard-working, got thighs for days...”

“Pfffft-ha ha ha ha!” She guffaws, incidentally smacking a leg against my ribcage. As soon as I wheeze, she gasps and grimaces. “Whoops! Beg yer pardon!”

I wheeze and nod shakily. “S'all good...”

“Seriously, yer purdy funny.” She clears her throat. “Still, even if that all was true, I really ain't interested.”

“In what?”

“In... that... any of that...”

I giggle. “Any of wh-what?”

“My only passion is—okay... lemme start over.” She blows her bangs back and says in a firm tone. “I have two passions in life. One, for the farm. Two, for my friends and family. S'long as I got all of that in order, than everythang's gravy, y'hear?”

“I hear you. I'm not entirely sure I believe you.”

“Darlin', not every soul's gotta be betrothed to another!”

I nod. “I understand completely.”

“Yes. I figured you might.”

I raise an eyebrow at that.

She gulps, avoiding my gaze. After a few seconds, she says, “I find stallions plenty attractive from time to time. Since I was a little filly, I've fancied myself getting' married someday, settlin' down, poppin' out a few young'n's to share the bounties of the farm. Yer typical ideal country fantasy...”

“Heh... sure...”

“But, as the years go by, especially lately—I find that I just don't... feel the need to get hitched anytime soon. I certainly don't need a stallion in my life, much less a coltfriend.”

“Or a fillyfriend?

“Buh?” She blinks at me.

I snicker and wave my hand from side to side. “I-I just kinda figured... if not a 'coltfriend' then a—”

“Darlin', just because my barn door swings in and not out don't mean I want another door to match!”

“Heeheehee...” I gently pat Applejack's head. “Read you loud and clear.”

She rolls her eyes and sighs through a tired smirk. “I'm just... happy to be where I am in life. I'm sorry you ain't.”

I shrug. “Who says I wasn't?”

“Oh. Uhm.” She fidgets on my chest—her hooves like kneading paws, pensive and squirmy. “I-I thought... you done just said—”

“Bored doesn't mean 'depressed.'”

“Right... uhm... reckon not...”

“What changed?”

“Hmm?” She glances at me.

“You say that you've felt this way in your life 'especially lately.'”

“Well, I made a bunch of wonderful friends,” she says, her tail instantly flicking at the thought. “I meet with them everyday. We have lunch together. We go out on adventures. They make me feel so useful and dependable and—well—I just feel so content—yes, I reckon that's the word for it. Content.”

“Well, I'm glad to hear that, AJ.”

“And also... there's... that is... lately, I've...” Her words trail off.

I squint curiously at her.

“Well...” She sighs and leans her fuzzy cheek against my chest, breathing softly. “You knowww...”

I smile. I stroke her mane before draping an arm over her spine, holding her close.

All is silent—save for the random whacks of violent Monday Night chair shots.

“I... uh... I reckon I need to get back to Sweet Apple Acres soon...”

“Yeah...” I nod quietly, gazing at the projection. “The hoodie's likely out of juice too.”

“Right.”

“Mmmhmmm.”

Quiet.

“Maybe... after the next Goofdust match?”

I chuckle. “Sure thing, AJ.” I scratch her ears. “And it's Goldust.”

“Feh. I liked mine a lot better.”

“You know? So do I.”

“Heeheehee...”