• Published 13th May 2014
  • 16,491 Views, 1,175 Comments

Because Ponies Are the Size of Cats and They Love to Cuddle - shortskirtsandexplosions



In the future, we'll colonize the solar system, cure cancer, clone the human genome, and build trans-dimensional hoodies that can summon tiny talking horses from an alternate universe. It's pretty snazzy.

  • ...
48
 1,175
 16,491

Sighs

"Hmmmm..." Applejack lies against my chest with a drunken smile plastered across her freckles. Two empty plastic snack bags lie on the floor beneath the couch. "This really is a prettiful movie..."

I giggle, stroking a hand down her head, mane, and hoodie. I lay on my back, glancing aside at the holo projection. "'Prettiful,' huh? That's a new one."

"Mmmm... reckon I'm full of nuggets like that."

"You're full of Chex Mix is what you are."

"What's this here flicker called again?" she asks.

I glance aside at the image of a shirtless young man undergoing hard physical training. His sweat glistens in aged, faded colors. "'Drunken Master,'" I say. "And—to be perfectly frank—I've never used 'prettiful' as a means as describing it. Or 'pretty' for that matter."

"Wow..." Applejack coos, snuggling tighter against me. She rests a cheek against my sternum to see the movie better. "How's he kickin' them people's heinies so dancer-like?"

"It's because Jackie Chan's drunk," I say. Then, a smirk. "Like you."

"Pfffft-hah hah hah!" She guffaws, slapping my chest with a well-toned hoof. "I am not drunk!" She smiles and shuts her eyes. "Salt just makes me relaxed..."

I'm too busy resisting the urge to cry from the hard swat to my chest. "Yeah, well..." I wheeze. "You're certainly h-healthy!"

"Ahem... b-beg yer pardon, darlin'."

I clear my throat as well, drying my eyes with a blink. "It's quite alright."

"Yer super sensitive there, aren't ya?"

"Aren't we all?"

"Heheheheh..." She chuckles. I feel every vibration of her tiny lungs through my tummy. "Y'know, some of the thangs you say are just so plum weird..."

"Yeah, and?"

"I dunno..." She nuzzles tighter against me, her breath wafting across my shirt. "It's... it's fine... everythang is just fine when I'm spendin' time here..."

I gently stroke behind one of her ears. "And when you're on the farm?"

"Hmmmm... a d-different kind of fine," she murmurs, her breaths growing longer and longer apart.

I glance aside at the film. Our hero is fighting a stick-wielding bully with a giant wine jug. "So... uhm... the picnic...?"

"Hmmmm?" Applejack's eyes are closed and she is smiling.

"You down for that? I mean, my friend Aynrandy will be there, and he'll definitely be bringing Maud. That's Pinkie's sister, right?"

"Mmmmmhmmmm..." Warm, warm freckles.

"Three or four other people beta-testing articles will be showing up. I bet there'll be a hand—er... a hoof-full of ponies you're bound to know."

"Mmmmmhmmmm..." Her fuzzy ears twitch involuntarily.

So I rub them gently between two fingers, smiling up at her. "And it'll be in a big green park. The trees might be fake—but the grass is real as it gets. Plenty of room to gallop around. I bet you'll feel like you're right at home! Aside from the purple sky, of course."

"Hmmmmmm..." She trills one last time, and then her muzzle hangs open ever so slightly, allowing for slumbering breaths to filter in and out of her tiny body.

I stare at her, rubbing her ears, then stroking along her cheek. She stirs slightly, then leans her chin against my shirt. A golden smile hangs off her face.

"AJ..." Silence. "AJ...?" I chuckle slightly. "Think maybe now's a good time for me to send you home to bed?"

She says nothing. She does nothing. She just exists in my arms.

I realize that I've brought both hands up, enfolding her. It's a very gentle embrace, like clutching a cloud... a very warm cloud that expands and contracts with tiny fragile undulations against my chest. She's like a present, in a way, wrapped in a soft felt hoodie with nowhere to go but dreamland.

"If I had known that some things in this universe could be so tiny and yet so full of life all at once," I hear myself murmur. A lump forms in my chest, and I feel like I've stolen her Element for a brief minute. "I would have gone out searching for it much, much sooner." I feel my eyes watering. "You think I'm really alive...?"

She doesn't have a response to that. How could she?

I sniffle. These are good tears. I tilt my head up until my nose brushes against the top of her golden mane. Is it a kiss? A nuzzle? I can't tell anymore. I'm glad that I haven't the need to.

"Good night, Applejack." I'm already tugging at the drawstrings to her article's hood. "May you find dreams that are somehow as adorable as you are."

She murmurs something, or maybe it's just my imagination. Either way, before she has a chance to stir, she vanishes.

I hug the empty jacket to my chest. It's suddenly a lot colder. Perhaps it always has been, but somehow I'm no longer startled by this realization. A strange, lingering bliss clings to me. There's a ringing in my voice, and it sounds an awful lot like the twang in her voice. I turn towards the flickering holo-projection, and I let loose a sob and a laugh all at once.

"You're right." A fractured grin. "It is 'prettiful.'"

I'm wait until Jackie Chan is done kicking someone's ass. Then, plugging the article in, I trudge towards the kitchen—sighing—for a long night of cleaning.