• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,444 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,444

PreviousChapters Next
When the Light Goes Out

Th-Thunk!

Props gasped. It was intensely dark inside the Noble Jury's engine room. She spun around.

There was no lavender light coming from the black iron cage.

Muzzle quivering, the blonde engineer shuffled nervously towards the container. Gripping the bars, she pensively peered in.

The ancient tome lay on its side, completely dormant. Nothing was glowing—not a single rune.

The mare's eyes turned instantly glossy.


Up on the top deck of the Jury, Zaid lay limply against the railing, his eyes thin as he gazed at Roarke and the forest beyond.

Suddenly, there was a loud galloping of hooves.

He turned around just as Props skidded to a stop. He stood up straight, ears twitching at attention.

Props stared back, panting, her eyes wide as saucers.

Josho, Booster, and Floydien craned their necks to see. Once they witnessed her expression, they slowly exchanged confused glances.

Zaid shuffled towards her. His mouth hung open on the edge of an unspoken question.

That was when Props bit her lip. She shook her head, harder and harder. Tears welled up in her eyes as she collapsed right there, sobbing pitifully.

Zaid's ears folded back. Gulping a lump down his throat, he squatted alongside her and held the mare close. He peered nervously over the ship's edge, where he made eye contact with Bellesmith. He wished that he hadn't, so he instead buried his face into Props' neck.

Belle gasped, clasping a hoof over her mouth. Pilate tilted his head curiously towards her.

In the meantime, Kera gawked, her mouth agape. She shook, she fumed. With a growl, she galloped straight into the misty tree-line. Pilate and Belle were too late to stop her.

Roarke, however, only needed to fling one hoof aside. She caught Kera and lifted the foal up into her forelimbs. The filly shrieked and struggled and fought. Her horn glowed and the branches of the trees shook overhead. As the leaves fell and Roarke's grip tightened, Kera's body untensed, melting into a series of pent-up sobs. She clenched her eyes shut and let loose one long howl, surrendering to Roarke's embrace.

Ebon awoke with a start, glancing worriedly towards the treeline. Eagle held him close along the hangar's entrance, his body shaking with crying heaves as he clung to the changeling.

Belle and Pilate nuzzled each other, helplessly looking on... listening on while Kera's wails echoed against the trees ahead of them.

Roarke was silent. She weathered every sob that wracked through Kera's body. Only when it was time to nuzzle the child did she finally break eye contact with the foot of the mountain, her lenses devoid of glint or starlight. She caressed the filly's mane, murmuring a single word over and over again that even she couldn't be bothered to remember.

PreviousChapters Next