• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,441 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,441

Chapters Next
A Time That Was Relevant

“Ledo’s Pride to Mountain Fall Tower!” a frazzled stallion shouted into a soundstone while the bulkheads of a zeppelin gondola rattled all around him. “Ledo’s Price to Mountain Fall Tower! We’re losing altitude rapidly!”

A console toward the starboard compartment caught flame. Another pony shrieked, flinching away as flames leapt at his coat. A tremor ran through the ship, finally causing the port side windows to buckle. They exploded with a shower of glass, raining shards all across the cockpit and filling the interior with the blistering rush of frigid winds.

“Ledo’s Pride to Mountain Fall Tower! Please, respond! We’re coming in too fast! You need to clear the loading docks right away! Do you copy?!” The soundstone in the stallion’s grip went dim. He grimaced and flung a sweaty look behind his shoulder. “There’s no response!”

A mare coughed from the billowing smoke inside. She leaned against a bulkhead while clutching her bloodied shoulder. “The communications array must be fried! Whatever caused that explosion, it crippled us!”

The stallion with the soundstone gazed down the smoke-filled corridor beyond the cockpit. As the entire gondola leaned more and more precariously towards starboard, entire clusters of equine passengers clambered over a series of sealed doors. Stallions grunted and strained with their hooves against the tight handles while mares watched on, holding their foals while shivering in abject terror.

“Can we get the lateral doors to the manacraft to open?!” he asked.

“Not with the central manacore of the ship offline!” the mare sputtered to respond. “All of the conduits have been dead since that first explosion rocked us!”

“Any idea how to get the doors open?”

“I’m sorry!” The mare grimaced as the ship buckled again. High altitude winds pelted her face as she shouted into the bedlam, “Red Bolt was the engineer, and we lost her in the blast!”

“How many other ponies are dead?!”

“I-I haven’t had a chance to keep count!”

The stallion gritted his teeth and shouted across the compartment. “Does anypony still alive have any engineering skills whatsoever?!”

Several citizens shivered in fright. Two ponies tending to a wounded mare merely glanced up. At last, a zebra galloped into view, panting frantically.

“I know a thing or two!” he shouted, then gulped. “This is my sixth month serving on board Ledo’s Pride!”

“What’s your name?!” the stallion asked.

“Pilate.”

“Aren’t you in charge of Navigations?”

Another window shattered, causing several ponies to flinch and a few more to shriek. Pilate gritted his teeth, leaning against a bulkhead while his blue eyes glared across the compartment. “You couldn’t have picked a less fortuitous time to push the issue! I’ve witnessed many a pony at work in more zeppelins than you can count! So tell me what you need me to do!”

“We’re descending fast!” the stallion exclaimed. Behind him, the windows showed nothing but mountains and forest canopies. “There are entire families on board this ship, and the doors to the escape manacraft are jammed shut! If you can restore energy to the manaconduits, we might be able to get most of the ponies out of here!”

Pilate braced himself as another tremor rattled through the gondola. “If what caused the explosion is what I think it is, then there’ll be barely enough mana left in the core to allow access to one of the ships!”

“Good enough!”

“But I can’t promise there’ll be any energy left to even us out! Even if I recalibrated it from the start!”

“I know,” the stallion said.

Pilate blinked. He clenched his jaw, and after a deep breath uttered, “I’m going to need help!”

“I’m with you!” the stallion said, shoving the sound stone into the mare’s grasp. “Keep trying to contact the Tower at Mountain Fall! If we can get through to them, they might just be able to spare a manaship in time to save us!”

“Right…”

“When those doors open, make sure as many ponies get off this zeppelin as possible!” The stallion followed Pilate as they both rushed towards a series of vertical crawl spaces leading down to the lower decks. “Wait for the doors, not for us, do you hear me?!”

“Loud and clear!”

The panicked voices of the ponies up above dwindled, devoured by the noise of hissing steam and rattling bulkheads as the two stallions rapidly descended into the heart of the ship. Pilate was several ladder rungs below the other equine, moving at a brisk pace. He was a deck away from his destination when the entire ship shook. The ladder bent down its middle, and both ponies felt their bodies swaying as the zeppelin’s center of gravity shifted.

“Nnngh!” The stallion above grimaced, his hooves slipping. “Whoah-Aaaaugh!” He plummeted towards a mesh of metal pipes below.

A strong hoof clasped over his. Pilate dangled from one forelimb as he shot his other out, saving the stallion at the last second. The two swung like pendulums from a single ladder rung. Pilate sweated, glancing out the corner of his eye as sweat ran down his muzzle. Through a tiny porthole, he could see the horizon pivoting about forty-five degrees. The faint blur of buildings and mountains spun in and out of view.

“Just swing me! I can latch on--”

Pilate was way ahead of him. “Hnnnngh!” With tight muscles, the zebra tossed the stallion’s weight towards the lower ladder. The pony caught on, took a deep breath, and shimmied down the last length. “I owe you one!”

“Nopony owes me anything yet…” Pilate hopped down beside him. Steambolts popped loose from a console beside him and the air in the chamber heated up. “Move! Move!

Both stallions galloped down a crooked passageway while backup steam tanks buckled behind them. Once they made it past a compartment door, they brushed aside the half-burnt corpse of a crew member and both worked together to slam a thick metal door shut. They succeeded in sealing it on their end before the tanks on the other side ruptured, filling the chamber with scalding hot steam.

“We can’t have much time,” the stallion said. “We could be hitting the ground at any moment.”

“Fortunately I know where to go.”

“Good, because I’m lost down here.”

“Follow me.” Pilate galloped down the cramped passageway.

After a few paces, it opened up into a wide chamber lit with hazy blue light. Pilate immediately galloped up to a wall lined with five translucent compartments. He squinted, staring into the multiple furnaces. “This isn’t good.”

“Lay it on me.”

“Only two of the compartments contain manaflame. We’ve loss too much energy. I’m not sure we have enough to reignite the manaconduits to the upper gondola’s doors.”

“Can you think of something?” the stallion stammered. “Anything?!”

Pilate rubbed his chin, his blue eyes darting left and right in thought. He stood calmly while the ship groaned metallically around him. At last, the zebra gritted his teeth and muttered, “It would require opening the lateral vents to the combustible particulates…”

“Come again?”

Pilate pointed to black tanks located on either side of the five furnaces. “Each Class Three Ledomaritan Engine is equipped with pressurized supplies of arcane powder that is used to ignite the core for acceleration. Typically, the material is channeled into the furnace in tiny bursts. But, with the manaflame in such short supply, we could dump all of the particulates into the remaining lit cores and ignite a spark large enough to--”

“You don’t have to go all encyclopedia on me!” the stallion shouted. “Will it work?”

“It will work more than it will not work!” Pilate said, wincing.

“Good enough! Tell me what to do!”

“You see that lever over there? Beneath the black tank?”

“Yes…”

“Go and grab it in both hooves! Don’t pull until I tell you to!”

The stallion odded and ran to his position.

In the meantime, Pilate rushed forward, turned three dials, spun a pair of valves, and then galloped over to a lever at the black tank on the other side. He gripped it and looked to where his colleague was standing. “We pull at the same time. Keep an eye on the furnaces. If this works, the flame in the two chambers will spread to all five. Once they’re uniformly lit up, we have to push the two levers in the middle, and it’ll send a brief but functional mana burst throughout the ship’s manaconduits. You got that?”

“Yeah! Sure thing!”

“Okay!” Pilate nodded. “With me!” He took a deep breath. “Three… two… one… pull!”

Both ponies pulled the levers as one. A low hiss emanated from the engine, and then--no less than twenty seconds later--all five furnaces lit up with bright blue light.

“Whoah!” The stallion jolted, then smirk. “Hey! Just like you said!” He panted and glanced over with a sweaty smile. “Fine work!”

Pilate could barely make out his words from a loud groaning sound filling the room. The zebra’s ears twitched, and he turned left to see a massive dent rupturing across the bulkheads of the room. He shouted, “Grab onto something--”

CRACK! The portside wall tore completely off from the rest of the hull. Bright sunlight flooded the compartment, and a gust of cold wind fountained through the exposed interior. The ship reeled from the decompression, tilting hard to port. Pilate was already grasping a metal bar. The other stallion…

“Nnngh--Guh!” He somersaulted, toppled, and slid across the floor towards the gaping hole. His limbs fumbled vainly for a hoofhold. Only when his body flew backwards did he begin to shriek, but even that was cut savagely short when his skull made contact with a dangling bulkhead. There was a spray of red mist, and then his body darted away, disappearing into the yawning countryside below.

Pilate hissed in strain, clutching desperately to the metal bar. He wrenched his eyes away from the sight of the Ledomaritan landscape below.

All five furnaces were churning brightly with vibrant blue energy.

He felt the ship tearing apart above and around him. As the wind pelted his face and mane, he saw the countryside looming closer and closer beyond the ruptured hull. With a determined breath, he swung his body back, planted his lower legs against the nearest wall, and bucked with all his might.

“Hnnngh!”

Pilate slid across the careening floor. His body shifted towards the gaping hole along the portside, but his forelimbs flew forward just in time to grasp the twin levers beneath the centermost mana furnace. Dangling loosely, he swung his lower body forward, braced himself against the engine wall, and pulled his lower body down.

Both levers swung with him. Not long after, the lights of the damaged engine room flickered briefly to life.

Pilate tilted his head up, mouth agape as he listened to the hum of mana being distributed throughout the whole zeppelin.

Just then, there was another shake. A console somewhere a deck above must have exploded. Flames erupted just outside the hole, and the ship was thrown so that it tilted the opposite way and towards starboard.

“Haaaugh!” Pilate felt himself thrown against a wall of sparking instruments. He winced, sprawling about as he struggled to find balance. Dazedly, he looked up.

Blue sky loomed beyond the gaping hole. After two streams of black smoke wafted by, he saw the glint of light off a manaship’s hull as it unclamped from the zeppelin’s gondola. The escape craft evened out, and Pilate’s quivering eyes could see no less than two dozen pony shapes seated safely on the outer deck.

A breath escaped him, and the zebra smiled. “Blessed Spark,” he murmured with quivering lips.

There was a groaning sound in front of him.

Pilate turned to see.

The five furnaces were burning brighter than the sun. Their glass encasements had begun to fracture.

The zebra’s ears folded atop his head. He flinched--as if to turn away.

Kapow! The centermost furnace exploded, and vaporous streams of manaflame flew across the chamber. All at once, he saw a spectacular flash of blue.

And then he saw nothing.

”Aaaaaugh!” Pilate curled up against wet grass in the drizzle of cold rain. Her clamped a pair of hooves over his eyes as he shivered, hyperventilated. “Nnnngh… mmmm… Bellesmith… beloved…?” He lowered his hooves and peered across the darkness. “Bellesmith… where are you?”

There was a hushed roar in the distance, like thunder. It was rushing towards him quickly.

“Beloved?” He tried standing up, but his legs felt weak… numb. Nervously, he furrowed his metal brow and fired a pulse of mana into O.A.S.I.S. The sphere around his neck did a scan of his immediate area.

Hard vertical lines coalesced, showing waving grass and the streaking facsimile of rain drops. In the center of the ebony void, a soft muzzle formed, along with flowing, velvety soft bangs and a stubby horn.

Pilate gulped. “Belle… what’s going on? Is everything alright?”

Line by line, her face faded into blackness. So, in desperation, Pilate activated O.A.S.I.S. again. Her face drifted back into existence, only it was different now. The lines were jagged, portraying a haggard face, a single surviving eye, and a long horn broken down the middle. The thunder had arrived in all its clarity now, full of screams and the anguished death rattles of ponies. The streaking rain gave way to the monochromatic tongues of flame as a savage hoof reached across the blackness and strangled Pilate’s throat.

“Snkkkkt--Grkkk!”

”You may not be able to see what she does, zebra,” he sneered, smelling of blood and ashes. ”But I’ll make sure you hear the child’s every scream.” There was a metallic scraping sound, punctuated by Kera’s shrill shrieks.


Pilate sat straight up, drenched in cold sweat.

Darkness.

He gritted his teeth and felt all around. The Noble Jury’s infirmary bed was a mess of tangled sheets and loose bandages. A bitter chill hung in the air of the room, and the bulkheads of the place hummed with the grace of puttering engines.

Darkness.

It took a full five minutes for Pilate’s heartbeat to slow to a steady pace. He sat on the edge of his bed, feeling as the blood rushed back to his limbs. Nervously, he twitched his about. The silence was nauseating.

“H-hello…?”

Nothing.

“Hello?!”

No reply.

Taking a deep breath, he reached forward, feeling around with bruised forelimbs. His weight shifted forward, and he landed on the floor. The stallion winced in pain, but he swiftly pushed himself up into a standing position. This was no easy task; he had been bedridden for as long as he could remember. Days… weeks… months--he wasn’t sure any longer. Feeling his way across the miniscule compartment, he reveled in the sensory information: rivets and bolts brushing across his hooves.

He could at least assume he was no longer dreaming. It was at least cold enough to be reality.

“Hello?” This time, his voice echoed, for he had shuffled out into the long slender hallway of the ship’s middle floor. He tilted his head to the left, facing what he knew to be the direction that the mess hall was in. “Ebon?”

Silence.

He gulped and tilted his head to the right, facing down the corridor where the six sleeping quarters lay across from one another. “Eagle Eye? Miss Props?” He hesitated slightly. “Belle?”

More silence. The hum of the ship had a haunting quality to it.

Pilate bit his lip. He stood straight up, wincing from the ache of his stiff muscles. He brought a hoof up to the metal plate along his forehead--now a dull plank of useless runes. Stifling a sigh, he nonetheless trotted forward, towards what he judged to be the bow of the ship. As he shuffled along, his hooves felt the seams in the floor which denoted the three sets of parallel doors lying across from one another. He lingered at the second set of doorframes, tilting his head towards the ship’s port side.

He heard nothing--certainly not the chipper voice of a young filly.

In a melancholic gait, he shuffled along. At last, he came upon the vertical crawlspace located towards the front of the ship. He was instantly pelted with a rush of cold air. Tilting his head up, he winced against the bitter chill and murmured, “Mr. Floydien? Rainbow Dash? Is… is anypony there?”

Silence.

With a daunting breath, he stretched his hooves out, feeling around the portside. He finally made contact with the rung of a metal ladder. With relief, he slumped towards it… and his lower body gave way.

“Gaah!” Pilate clung to the ladder, dangling suddenly. He had misjudged how close the gap in the floor was. Now, an entire lower deck loomed below him. Regaining his balance, he gripped the ladder rungs with all four limbs and began a slow climb. His body shivered the more he ascended. Once he reached the cockpit at the very top, he understood why.

It was cold. It was beyond cold. The air hissed with a bone-chilling wind, as if it was flurrying in from all directions. With chattering teeth, Pilate pulled himself onto the floor and rolled aside. Once his flank bumped into an instrument panel, he realized that the cockpit was empty.

“Mr. Floydien…?” He gasped. “But… where… where could…?”

At last, he heard something--voices from the top deck. He turned towards them with twitching ears.

“...been out for too long. We should go search for her.”

“How? None of us have wings. Maybe Roarke could have cooked up something with jet fuel but… well… we all know how that ended up.”

“Uhhh… actually, no we don’t.”

“Well, most of us, Ebon.”

“You and Floydien saw what went down, EE. Didn’t you?”

“All I know is what Rainbow Dash told us.”

“Heh… like that’s really been much to stand by lately.”

“Ebon…”

“I mean it! Ever since we crossed the frozen waters, she’s been a regular Rainbow Dull!”

“Does the sailboat boomer ever known when to shut his teeth sheathe? Floydien’s trying to keep an eye out!”

“And I’m telling you, she’s been gone for too long! Something’s not right!”

“Just let her do her thing. You heard what Props said the other day. This is the only way we can restore the ship’s dormant heating system without sacrificing a chunk of skystone!”

“Well, I’d be down for that. Wouldn’t mind cooking you guys up something warm for a change. It’ll keep Josho off my flank, that’s for sure.”

“Fat boomer was never on board the sailboat to begin with.”

“Oh, go ride a bike, you oversized space elk. It was just a figure of speech. Shouldn’t be an alien concept to the likes of you.”

“Can we all just hush up and keep scanning the horizon, please?”

“What’s going on?” Pilate asked, shivering against the wind. “Where’s Rainbow Dash?”

Hooves shuffled against the top deck.

“Whoah! Look at those stripes! They’re practically blue!”

“Pilate! For Spark’s sake, pal…” A soft set of hooves scampered over. Eagle Eye rubbed the zebra’s shoulders. Pilate could feel long, woolie sleeves dangling around the ends of the young stallion’s fetlocks. “You totally shouldn’t be up here! Not until I’ve stitched you something too!”

“But… but…”

“I’m getting to you, I promise! It’s just that… well… Rainbow’s took a heck of a lot longer. After all, she’s flying right into the elements for what Props asked for and--”

“EE! For the love of apricots! He’s in no condition to be up here!”

“Sailboater is right. Lavender, make with the whisk-whisk. Striped boomer has no business being blue boomer, yes yes?”

“But…” Pilate stammered, “Is everything alright? At least tell me why we’re stalled like this.”

Eagle Eye was already ushering Pilate back into the cockpit. “You can tell that we’re stalled?”

Pilate sighed. “There’s nopony piloting the ship, Eagle Eye. And unless Mr. Floydien’s Nancy Jane has acquired sentience--” He suddenly gasped, levitating.

Eagle Eye grunted a bit with the effort of floating the zebra down the crawlspace as he climbed the ladder after him. “It’s… nngh… simple. Rainbow Dash is trying to get something for Props to use in heating the ship back up. After all, it’s been super cold, and it’s only going to get colder as we cross the Frozen Sea!”

“Eagle Eye…”

“And Spark knows how far the thermometer is going to drop once we get to that nasty Strip of Flurries place.” Eagle Eye and Pilate touched down upon the middle deck again. “Erm… can you call the ‘Strip of Flurries’ a place, really?”

“Eagle Eye, I’ve been in extreme situations before. I don’t need--where are you taking me?”

“Some of your bandages fell off. But no matter.” Eagle Eye led the weak zebra back to the infirmary. Gently, he pushed the stallion back onto the bed and started reapplying strips of gauze to Pilate’s exposed limbs. “You’ll be better in no time. Well, mostly better.”

“I can’t stay in here forever, Eagle Eye.”

“Pffft. Well of course not, silly zebra. But we want you to get healed, y’know? You’ve still got a lot of nasty bruises and--”

“At least let me go back to the navigation room below. Rainbow Dash shouldn’t feel like she doesn’t have a guide.”

Silence. And then: “Until Belle whips up a second O.A.S.I.S., Pilate, I really don’t th-think you should be straining yourself.”

The zebra bit his lip.

“It’s all gonna be okay. R-really! Rainbow will be back soon and Ebon will make us all a congratulatory meal! Even th-though he’s having to ration things… pr-pretty paper thin.” A gulping sound. “And I’m at least certain Rainbow Dash will make it back… pr-probably…”

Pilate winced. “What… what is it that’s gotten her in so much peril?”

“Hey, your guess is as good as mine.” Shuffling hooves. Eagle’s voice drew away. “With half the stuff Props has been cracking up lately, I’m scared to ask. But… hey! She’s Rainbow! And… we c-can totally count on her, right?”

Silence.

“Right. Uhm… I gotta go. They need my eyes. Erm… not that… my eyes are all that spectacular. I mean… they’re just eyes... and… uhmm… ennnnghhh… yeah. See ya later… or hear ya later…”

“Eagle Eye, it’s not that I’m worried, it’s just…” Pilate stopped in mid speech.

The silence in the room was permeating. He was alone.

He bit his lip. With a sigh, he deflated like a flower and curled up into the bedsheets. “I j-just want to be useful…” He took a deep breath. In the deep vestiges of darkness, he thought he could make out waving lines… like dancing flames. There was nothing to close his eyes to, so he instead concentrated on steady breaths, stroking the mattress beneath him with a hoof, imagining it was a warm cheek instead.

Chapters Next