• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,443 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,443

PreviousChapters Next
Rainbow Dash Flies In Circles

The stars broke out overhead. Even through the misty haze of the Durandanan Basin, Rainbow Dash could see them—not for very long, though, for she was frequently closing her eyes.

Rainbow glided at a perpetual curve, angling her left wings along the bend in the basin. As the crater ran in a circle, so did she, pivoting at a snail's pace while otherwise majestically soaring over the dense jungle and foliage below. When the wind blew at her feathers, she didn't fight it, allowing herself to drift up and down with whatever whim the weather exhibited. She relished in the chorus of countless crickets alone, in the rustle and dance of trees.

It had been a long time since Rainbow Dash had flown in a circle. In a lot of ways, it almost felt like flying in a straight line. The beginning of the flight mattered little, and there was seemingly no end. So long as she maintained a consistent pace and mastered the wind currents, then she could seemingly fly on forever.

However, Rainbow Dash knew that she couldn't. At any given moment, the flight would end. It could have been in her next breath. It could have been several months later. Ultimately, it mattered little. Despite the immortal strength of her will, the elements would hold sway when all was said and done.

She had always imagined a glorious death. In fact, she had earned herself one. But that wasn't enough, and destiny evidently wouldn't settle for what Rainbow Dash deemed "acceptable." For a moment, Rainbow contemplated that she had never been flying in a straight line at all, but instead several spiraling circles that just got smaller and smaller over time, dragging in various innocent lives into the cyclone until the revolutions eventually ended. Would it culminate in a gentle release or a calamitous implosion? Rainbow couldn't even pretend to guess.

When Rainbow Dash began her journey, she received the blessings of Luna and Celestia. She never expected to experience such grace when her flight ended. But here—in Durandana—Fawful and the other pegasi were extending a blessing of their own. What was the need to fight anymore? She had lost friends and gained some more. She had lived more than one life in a single gust. Despite all of the pain and fighting and struggle, Rainbow began to wonder—perhaps she had a lot to be thankful for? Perhaps she had everything to be thankful for—

The world inexplicably spun.

Rainbow's eyes flashed open, red on yellow. She hissed in pain, clutching her skull as she flew straight towards spiraling trees. "Nnnngh—L-Luna!" A sea of branches hurled towards her from beyond the mist. "Guhh... f-for buck's sake!" Gritting her teeth, Rainbow reached through the numbness and flapped her wings hard. She couldn't feel it, but her eyes told her that she was evening out. She angled her feathers in such a way to pull her vision up and over the rustling tree canopy. There was a flash of stars, then scattering leeves.

Rainbow's body impacted off a tree branch.

"Augh!" She spun twice. She couldn't register enough pain to tell how much damage had been done. She could trust her body to be tough enough, even if she couldn't trust gravity at the moment.

Her head turned to the side. She saw another branch slicing its way towards her.

"Hrghhh!" Rainbow hooked a hoof out, catching the branch with her forelimb. The resulting jolt broke through the dizziness, sending her blood surging through her petite frame. She awakened to enough senses to toss herself upwards. Leaping from the branch, she spread her wings again, slowing her descent with enough grace to come gliding lazily towards a pair of outstretched tree limbs. Once above them, she coiled her feathers, and fell down hard. "Ooomf!"

The tree branches caught her. She nestled her weight against them, relishing in the cold touch of the bark as her body slowly, slowly spun to a stop. She clutched her head, her pained eyes returning to their vibrant ruby hue.

"Mmmnngh... just... pull yourself together..." Rainbow clenched her teeth and squeezed her eyes tight. "You've got m-more left in you than this! Focus... focus, Rainbow! For the love of all that's awesome, focus!"

She wasn't aware of it at first, but her breaths were growing more and more evenly spaced. A slick curtain of sweat ran down her neck and chin. Her eyes were shut so tight that tiny lines of color started playing tricks against her retinae. As she felt the blood pumping in her ears, she thought—however fleetingly—that all of the lines morphed together, coalescing to become something. A face? A name? A word?

Rainbow didn't have any chance to concentrate on anything, for a loud rustling sound broke through the numbness, awaking her. Her eyes flashed open, seeing sparks melting against the misty canvas all around. Once more, she heard the sound... the beating sound... like leather wings against the darkness.

"H-huh?!" She tilted her head up, reeling slightly.

The stars broke continuously in a straight line, then shone unimpeded. The beating grew more and more distant.

Rainbow blinked. Rainbow frowned. Rainbow fumed. With a single flap of her wings, she shot skyward like a bullet, piercing the night's sky. Dizziness still clung to her wings, but she fought against the fainting trails of her spell, ascending as rapidly as she could. Her eyes darted everywhere. Out of the corner of her vision, she thougth she made out a black shape against the stars, and she rocketed straight towards it.

Rainbow climbed and climbed and climbed through the air. She ascended so high that she flew beyond the reach of Durandana's weather currents. Here, the air was a turbulent, tempestuous mess, blowing at her with wild winds that rivaled the blizzard gusts of the Wastes.

Nevertheless, Rainbow hovered firmly against the gales, sneering into the howling winds. "Nnnnngh—What is it?!" she hollered, she screamed. "What do you want from me?!" She flung her forelimbs out. "Come back and spill it out, you scaley creep!"

Nothing but darkness and noise.

Rainbow snarled at it all. "Why are you still watching me?! I have n-nothing left for you!" She panted and panted between loud outbursts. "I have nothing left for anypony! So just what in the buck did you see in me, huh?!" She wheezed and yelled, "What does Urohringr want from me?!"

The world grew hazier and hazier. Rainbow's vision was fogging.

"Gnnnghhh!" Rainbow pulled at her hair. "What?! Do I need to kill another one of your sisters to get you to talk to me?! I'm at the end of my rope! Where do I go?!" Shivering. Hyperventilating. "Why am I going th-there?!"

There was no answer. There was never an answer.

Rainbow seethed and seethed. Moisture formed along the edges of her eyes, all too quickly blown away by the slicing wind currents. She hung her head as her wings flapped with looser and looser motions. Her hooves grasped the pendant rattling around her neck.

"So much..." She gulped, her voice wavering. "It j-just... weighs so m-much. It always has. I'm tired. I'm just... s-so tired..."

There was a sniffling sound that was deaffened by the wind, and Rainbow slowly, slowly drifted back down into the welcoming heart of the lost basin.


Eagle Eye lay curled up in his cot, the same fetal position he had been in for hours. There was no sleeping; his moist eyes stared intently into the nearest bulkhead while his lavender ears occasionally flickered. Every so often, a sad breath would escape his nostrils, and his eyes would grow wetter.

Sniffling, the stallion buried his face into his pillow. A tiny whimpering noise escaped his throat, silenced by the shadows around him.

So it was with a curious stirring that Eagle Eye ultimately lifted his head to the repeated sound of a hoof knocking at his cabin door. His eyes blinked blearily across the darkness.

The knocking persisted, louder and more earnest this time.

With stiff legs, Eagle Eye rolled out of bed, stood up, and shuffled towards the door, sighing the whole way. At last, he grabbed the hatch and opened it with a squeaky turn. As soon as he opened the thing to the hallway, his breath left him.

"... ... ...Ebon?!"

The stallion avoided Eagle's gaze, staring down at the floor with folded ears. He was dead silent, though his trembles were more than noticeable.

"I... uhm..." Eagle gulped. "I-I don't know... what..."

"May I step inside, Eagle, please?" It was the gentlest of whispers.

Eagle gawked. He nod-nod-nodded and stepped aside, giving Ebon room to shuffle on in. He very slowly, very gently closed the door behind them both.

Ebon stared dead at the wall, his tail hanging limply behind him. With a slight turn of the head, he murmured over his shoulder, "I was t-told that you would be here."

"Uhm..." Eagle Eye gulped the biggest lump ever down his throat. "Yeah. I mean... sure. I guess..."

"I... I was also told that you've been absolutely miserable." Ebon's dry throat cleared. "And from the way he described it, I... st-started to get concerned..."

"Huh?" Eagle blinked. "Who?"

"I know how dramatic you c-can sometimes be, Eagle." Ebon twirled, eyes glossy as they finally found their mark, shaking Eagle to his core. "The l-last thing I'd ever want for you is to hurt yourself!"

"But... b-but I wouldn't! I mean..." Eagle's muzzle scrunched. "Who gave you that idea—?!"

"He loves you very much, you know," Ebon says. "I... I don't blame him."

Eagle blinked. At last, he rolled his eyes and groaned inwardly. "You dirty, dirty old stallion..."

"Eagle Eye, please hear me out—"

"Look." Eagle sighed, trotting forward and waving a forelimb. "Whatever Josho said, I'm sure it's just him trying to—"

"No." Ebon's bergundy hooves gently clasped either side of Eagle's leg and squeezed tight. He gazed up into the other stallion's eyes. "This is about me and you." He gulped. "It's always about me and you."

"Ebon...?"

Ebon sniffled, his eyes tearing up. "You've been so good to me... so loving... so... adoring." Ebon gritted his teeth. "Everything in my being is telling me not to do this. But... b-but I can't help it, Eagle. I have to tell you..."

Eagle took a deep, deep breath. "Tell me what, Ebon?"

"The tr-truth, Eagle," Ebon whimpered, his lips quivering. "The truth about me."

Eagle Eye nodded. He smiled gently, a tear running down his muzzle. He raised his other hoof and clasped it with Ebon's. "I'm all ears..."

PreviousChapters Next