• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,438 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,438

PreviousChapters Next
Blind Will Lead the Blind

Pilate swiveled around on his hooves, his head jerking towards the outer wall of the structure beyond the balcony. His muzzle clenched tightly while his ears twitched on either side of the helm.

Roarke glanced at him. "What is it?"

"I just..." The stallion fidgeted. "I-I'm not sure..."

"Did you sense something from inside the structure?"

"Possibly? It's hard to say."

"The Oracular Array's primary function is to detect movement along the visual spectrum, but it's been known to highten other senses," Roarke explained. "You've been without sight for a long time. It stands to reason that your smell and hearing is greatly attuned to your surroundings. Now, buffered by the Oracular Array, however—"

"Yes, but can I actually sense through walls?"

"I wouldn't know."

Pilate turned towards her. "I thought you said this was Searonese technology."

"Yes. But it doesn't necessarily mean that I've utilized it myself."

His metal brow furrowed. "And yet you'd attach it to me?!"

"Affirmative."

"Roarke, just... j-just where did you get a spare manasphere to hook up to this device anyways?"

The metal mare squirmed slightly, her facial features wincing. "It's... best not to ask."

Pilate was silent.

"We've wasted enough time. I need to return to the Lounge's ship." She reached beneath her cloak and pulled out her mana rifle. "Here. I've slightly augmented this to respond to equine touch." She tossed it at the zebra. "Feel for impressions along the central length. A little squeeze is enough to fire a blast of electrical energy."

Pilate snatched it in mid-air.

Roarke continued. "The damage output has a wide spread. Accuracy isn't as important as versatility. And here..." She stripped of a satchel and tossed it to the zebra as well. "That should help you carry the amber skystone to its destination."

"Stratopolis' control room..."

"Right." Roarke nodded. She stretched her spine, protruding the twin manathrusters of her outfit and preparing to take off. "If I'm to believe Razzar's latest communications, then his group and the local survivors are heading towards the barricade that seals off the inner chamber. No doubt Rainbow Dash is acting as the key to this place as we speak."

"It all seems too easy to be true," Pilate muttered.

"I'm inclined to agree." Roarke nodded, then turned towards the edge of the balcony to take off. "If there's anything in the world I've refused to trust, it's whatever's easy."

"Which begs the question, Roarke." Pilate took a firm breath. "Even after you've given me sight... even after you've given me a weapon to defend myself..." He raised his front hooves and trained the glowing stick's end towards her back. "How do I know you're not just a changeling trying to send me on a suicide mission?"

Roarke slowly turned around, the rainwater cascading off her lenses.

Pilate gritted his teeth, keeping the weapon trained on her figure.

At last, Roarke uttered, "I could ask the same of you."

Pilate gulped.

"We and the Lounge have a common foe... a very dangerous and unpredictable foe. As of right now, I have no more assurance that you're you than you do that I'm me. But let me ask you this..." Her lenses retracted. "Do either of us really... truly want this city to keep flying?"

Pilate stood still. Eventually, he lowered the staff while a sigh escaped through his nostrils.

Roarke turned around, fired her thrusters, and zoomed out into the stormy mess. "Also, you're holding the staff backwards!"

Pilate blinked beneath his helm. He held the weapon up, winced, then spun it around. Frowning, he barked up at Roarke, "And this whole mission! It could be a ruse as well!"

"Then go bring the skystone to Rainbow Dash!" Roarke's voice hollered back through the winds. "Assuming you believe that she's herself!"

Pilate groaned. He fidgeted where he stood for a minute. At last, he stuffed the skystone bundle into the satchel, slung it around his figure, and galloped off with the aid of his helm and the staff.

"I don't know what I prefer more... being blind or being stupid."


"Rekkha threen siul..." Arcshod stopped the crowd with an outstretched hoof. His tattooed face paled as he stared up at the barricade before them. "Urohringr..."

The group of survivors formed a curved line facing the large stone wall. Carved circles and spheres stretched before them, slick with moisture and rainwater. Amber light from the Lounge's weapons illuminated the runic inscriptions that stretched between each ancient etching.

"Wow..." Props cooed, her ears drooping as her goggled eyes took in the sight. "It's even bigger than I imagined it, Dashie."

"It always is," the pegasus muttered, trotting forward until she stood within a sneeze's distance from the wall.

"So, what now?" Seclorum muttered.

"Time to make your magic, paint bucket," Josho said.

"Uhm... yeah... about that..." Rainbow Dash chuckled nervously, then hovered up on flapping wings. "When it comes to this sort of stuff—machine worlds, runic tomes, smexy blondes—I don't exactly have an art to practicing magic. The crud just sort of... sets itself off, y'know?"

"No, we don't know," Aatxe said, shaking his head. "But obviously the changelings do, because they've used your essence to move the temples around from the structure's top room!"

"Yeah, and I get that! But the temples are different!" Rainbow pointed at the wall. "I've been by here already, and I couldn't get anything to flicker or move or change then!"

"Did you make physical contact the last time?" Razzar asked, his pale mask tilted towards her. "It could very well be the game changer."

"Oh, please!" Rainbow rolled her eyes and leaned against the wall with a hoof. "As if it could be as simple as—"

FLASH! The centermost ring lit up.

Several Xonans and Ledomaritans leaned back, gasping. Several of the Lounge tilted their masked faces in curiosity.

"Xon!" Arcshod stammered, his eyes widening. "Her'lanna semiulen na'saadar Austraeoh threanna!"

"Hey, you set off the tattooed guy!" Props chirped. "That's a good sign, right, Dashie?"

"Uhm... but nothing's happening though," Rainbow Dash said, then squinted. "Wait a second." She traced the inner most ring. "Only the circle on the inside is lit up."

"Then perhaps the other two...?" Josho began.

"Working on it." Rainbow licked her lips, hovering across the miniature spheres that lined the twelve segments of the inner ring. One by one they lit up by her touch. At last, when they were all illuminated, they spread their glow to the spheres on the outer rings, until those segments also turned bright.

Soon, the entire barricade was afire with bright lavender energy. Just as it was starting to blind the ponies and lizards lined up, the granite floor around them shook violently. With a cascading cloud of dust, the wall slid straight down, retreating into the foundation of the structure. The survivors gawked in stunned silence while the Lounge trained their weapons forward.

"At last..." Razzar hissed, his masked face peering into the dim, dusty corridor beyond. "The path is set..."


"Unnngh!" Elma collapsed, falling limply on her chest.

Bellesmith slid across a puddle of moisture and spun around. "Elma!" She scampered back across the balcony and crouched at the changeling's side. "What is it?! What's the matter?" She scooted over and cradled the hyperventilating creature's body. "Please... t-talk to me! Do you feel weak? Do you need to feed again?"

"No..." Elma's green eyes fumed as she stared painfully into blank space. "Mother... pl-please... spare them..."

Belle blinked. "Spare them? Spare who?"

Elma gulped, panted, and stared nervously into Belle's face. "Your friends... th-they're in trouble..."

"From who?!" Belle's eyes narrowed. "Changelings?"

"No..." Elma gulped and shook her head. "Something worse..."

PreviousChapters Next