• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,438 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,438

PreviousChapters Next
Broad Side of an Eljunbyro

"Rainbow?" Bellesmith squinted into the morning sunlight from where she and Pilate stood on the Noble Jury's top deck. "What... what do you mean?"

"Just what it sounds like." Rainbow finished sliding the Sword of Solstice into her saddlebag. Fastening it tight, she turned to face her friends. "Tell Floydien to bring the ship close to the crater's southern edge. I want you guys to be ready to glide over the Sky Stabs at a moment's notice."

Belle gawked at Pilate, then leaned forward with an expression of disbelief. "Surely it isn't that dire of a situation!"

"I... I really don't know," Rainbow muttered. "Fawful's giving me plenty of good vibes, but most of these Gray Feather guys?" She shuddered. "They're so secretive, it's not even funny. Kind of gives me the willies, if you know what I mean."

"And because of that, you're expecting the worst?"

"I don't know what to expect, Belle," Rainbow said. "For all I know, maybe they'll all giggle with glee and demand that Sivrem and Kitsune fashion a whole bunch of Celestia plushies. I just... I just want you all to be safe, no matter what." Rainbow gulped. "It's the least I can do."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that... that I'm not exactly 'leader' material these days," Rainbow murmured. "I can't protect you guys so well anymore." She winced. "I can't even fly straight for too long before I just friggin' collapse. I found that out the hard way last night."

"Rainbow, all you've done for these Durandanans has been very noble," Pilate said. "But I'd hate to think that this entire time you've been neglecting your own health."

"Heh..." Rainbow smirked bitterly. "What's there to neglect, dude?" She inhaled softly. "We all know it was bound to get worse eventually. Might as well be now..." Her eyes scraped the orange mists above. "...in this place."

"Don't talk like that, Rainbow," Belle said. "I know your dizzy spells have been more frequent lately, but that's not to suggest that you're at the end of your rope!"

"Frankly, Ding Dong." Belle glanced up at her. "None of us know that for certain."

Belle chewed on the edge of her lips.

Rainbow sighed. She turned to face the east side of the ship... but stopped in her hooves. Her wings didn't even bother to flap.

Pilate tilted his head aside. "Is there something you're wishing to tell us, Rainbow?"

Belle craned her ears patiently.

Rainbow fidgeted. Ultimately, she muttered, "Last night... when I had my dizzy spell... I could have sworn that... that I saw her."

"Who, Rainbow?"

Rainbow clenched her teeth. "Axan."

"She's..." Belle blinked. "She's in Durandana?"

"Or above Durandana. Or outside Durandana. Pffft. Whatever. Goddess only knows how that freaky dragon queen manages to stalk me the way she does." Rainbow swiveled around. "I only caught a glimpse of her... and even then... mmmfff... g-guess it could have been my imagination."

"If she's actually flying overhead and watching you from afar in a place like this..." Pilate reached up and scratched his chin. "...I can only wonder what it means."

"Righto." Rainbow nodded. "That's why I asked her."

The pegasus' two friends froze in place.

"And..." Belle blinked. "Did she answer?"

Rainbow slowly, slowly shook her head.

Belle sighed. "Well, Rainbow, maybe she didn't have a reason to—"

"Doesn't she?" Rainbow squinted. "Hasn't she always?" She raised a forelimb, squinting at it while it trembled ever so slightly. "Why kill me... and then drop me off somewhere so I could come back?" She gulped. "Why take down Nevlamas when she was about to crush me to a pulp like Axan once did?"

"You told us yourself that she called you 'Austraeoh.'"

"Yeah, well, if she knows so flippin' much about who or what I am, she's not being that big of a help," Rainbow grumbled. "Unless, perhaps..."

"Perhaps what, Rainbow?" Belle asked.

Rainbow's eyes were thin, contemplative. "...she knows where I'm supposed to end, and how the next flame gets quenched." She gazed up at the platinum sky over the basin. "After all, the Divine's got a lotta years left. If another Austraeoh comes along, she could totally do the stalker thing with him or her in my place."

"I can't see how that's an actual strategy," Belle remarked.

"Why not?" Rainbow turned to look at the mare. "If Axan wanted me to get to the Midnight Armory, wouldn't she have just flown my flank to the world's edge on her bigass wings?"

"Then, it seems to me, that she expects you to do something else, Rainbow," Pilate said. "Something more than just reaching the dark side of the world."

Rainbow slowly shook her head, nostrils flaring. "There are times when I think I would have better off if she just left me dead back in Silvadel."

Belle sighed, ears folded. "Rainbow..."

"I... I-I don't mean that I'd rather not have met you guys," Rainbow said, gazing thoughtfully at them. "You and Kera and EE and the rest are the best things I could have asked for." She gulped. "And yet the worse. Because—some way or another—I'm going to have to leave you." She fidgeted. "I just... I just didn't think it would happen so soon. I sorta figured that I would have t-time to think it over."

Belle and Pilate leaned against each other. Pilate whispered something in a low breath. Clearing her throat, Belle the spoke up, "Rainbow, Pilate and I... well... we were talking..."

"Talking?" Rainbow smirked goofily, her eyes soft. "That's new."

"You've done so much for us," Belle said. "But, aside from saving our lives and giving us all a new future, you've taught us so much as well. And between what we've learned... and what the likes of Josho and Roarke have to lend..."

"Hmmm?" Rainbow blinked, curious. "What are you getting at?"

Belle bit her lip, so Pilate spoke up. "Whatever we encounter in Val Roa will inevitably involve a great deal of drama and conflict. It could be quite... stressful."

"Yeah? So?" Rainbow chuckled. "I'm used to stress. It's my bread and butter, next to cider and and a cracking voice."

"The Rainbow we met in Blue Shelf could undoubtedly handle it," Pilate said. "Same with the Rainbow who fought Nevlamas... and the mare I adventured with in Stratopolis..."

"But now..." Belle sighed. "Well... d-do we need to rub it in anymore?"

Rainbow's eyes darted between them. "... you don't think I have what it takes to make it to Val Roa."

"You could make it to Val Roa, Rainbow," Pilate said. "For all we know, you could even see the Grand Choke. But..." He clenched and unclenched his jaw. "Should you?"

Rainbow gulped. "Wh-what are you guys saying?" Rainbow asked in a raspy tone.

"You asked a question of Axan," Pilate said. "And she never answered you. But... for all of her guile and miraculous intervention, Axan is not your friend, Rainbow." His ears folded. "We are. We wish that we could somehow repay you for all of the things you've done for us, but all of us know that it isn't quite possible. The least we can do is make sure that... that your last days aren't fraught with pain and stress."

"And you think that not being around you guys is somehow gonna assure that?"

Pilate opened his mouth to reply, but he had no words. He hung his head.

Belle hiccuped on a sob.

Rainbow turned to look at her.

"We..." Belle covered her muzzle with a forelimb, shivering. "We j-just want you to be happy, Rainbow. And... and if we dr-drag you into another escapade... if you're finding yourself having to risk your already fragile neck for us wh-when you should just be at peace—"

"Hey... hey." Rainbow trotted up close, pressing her head against Belle's. "Shhhh... look at me, girl."

Belle quivered, her eyes clenched shut.

Rainbow tilted the mare's chin up. "Look at me."

Belle forced her teary eyes open.

Rainbow smiled warmly. "I am happy." A giggle. "I'm awesome." She leaned in and nuzzled the mare. "And so are you." She exhaled, staring painfully over the mare's shoulder. "Who needs peace, anyways?"

"You d-do, Rainbow Dash..."

"Yeah, well, I'm not alone." Rainbow leaned back, shaking the weight of the Sword of Solstice in her bag. "I gotta make sure these Durandanans get a healthy helping of it too."

"But Rainbow—"

"I brought Harmony to Darkstine, Silvadel, and Chrysalis's brood." Rainbow tossed her mane. "Heck, if you wanna get super technical about it, I guess you could say I brought Harmony to Luxmare as well.." A devilish smirk. "Now... I gotta bring it to these guys. Austraeoh or not, this is what I'm here to do. And I'm not gonna let any stupid dizzy spells stop me from doing what comes natural. And as for Val Roa..." Her smirk dissolved.

Pilate and Belle stared her way.

Rainbow exhaled. "Yeah, well, one wing flap at a time." She gulped. "That's how I've always looked at it. Guess it's not worth ditching now." That said, she turned around, spread her feathers, and glided off the Noble Jury's bow without another word.

Belle and Pilate leaned against each other, watching as their friend tore off for the Central Tower. The golden beam of First Light pierced the high mists, and Rainbow flew along it, heading east, against the wind.

PreviousChapters Next