• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,444 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,444

PreviousChapters Next
Love It or Leave It

Rainbow stood up as she felt blood rushing through her tingling limbs. Seething through her teeth, she stared at the carnage happening downhill to where she teetered.

More and more serpents were sailing down into the gorging feast from above. Splashes of emerald life juice and segmented shells flew through the haunting starlight. At one point—with a pained grunt—a bloodied changeling tumbled out of the main group, rolling painfully to its side. The poor thing's body flickered back and forth from Keebroo to Merigold. Seconds later, three serpents slithered free from the group and stalked its bleeding corpse.

Rainbow's muscles tightened. With a burst of strength, she rocketed towards the scene.

The three monsters were about to pounce. Rainbow streaked low, knocking two of them off balance. She swooped up the bloodied changeling survivor in one breath. The third monster pounced at her rear, but she bucked it in mid-air and flew uphill before any of the feasting creatures could sense her.

Breathless, Rainbow carried the shape-shifter up the mountainside for several meters. The battered thing twitched and sputtered in her grasp. She looked down and almost wretched to see that its lower legs were completely missing. At last, still fighting a cloud of dizziness, Rainbow touched down with the creature.

There, she squatted low and cradled its, brushing its blood-stained bangs aside to gaze into its face.

"Why...?!" She seethed. "Why did you give yourselves up like this?!"

"Not... all of us..." the changeling whimpered, sputtered. It stopped pulsing with green flame, hyperventilating with a rattle of its dark carapace. "S-some... brothers and sisters... st-still alive..." It coughed up slimy juices and wheezed, "I... I-I can feel them..." Its eyes darted left and right in sudden confusion. "And another... another..."

Rainbow gnashed her teeth. "Dang it, you could have fought them off!"

"Too... m-many of them..." The changeling's glossy eyes reflected Rainbow's grimace. "Had... to distract them fr-from you..."

"I'm dying anyways!" Rainbow grunted. "I'm dead as soon as I enter that mountain! It wasn't worth doing that!"

"Worth it...?" The changeling exhaled quietly. It raised a twitching hoof up. Rainbow clutched it, and it instantly turned brown and fuzzy. Pale blue eyes twinkled beneath scarlet braids. "Of c-course it was worth it..." A tear trickled down Roarke's bloody face. "You g-gave us freedom, Rainbow D-Dash..." A hiss, gargling. "You g-gave us love..."

Rainbow bit her lip.

The changeling smiled. It stared at her. Then it stared at something else. The smile trailed off, forming fangs as the glossy shell returned, dull and lifeless—just like the changeling's limb as it slipped limply out of Rainbow's hoof.

Rainbow's ears folded back. She clenched her eyes shut, leaning in and pressing her forehead to the shape-shifter's. Her next breaths came through flaring nostrils. At last, she gently laid the body down. When she stood up, the pegasus felt blood rushing through every limb, hot and strong and righteous. With a single flap of her wings, she bulleted skyward in a blue streak.

Flying backwards up the mountainside, Rainbow turned and yelled down at the horrendous feast happening below. "Hey!"

The abominations kept devouring what was left of the chitinous pile.

"Hey! Flankfaces!"

At last, several serpentine eyes flickered in Rainbow's direction. The mass of chaos paused in its ravenous bloodthirsting.

"Bet you're wanting dessert, aren't ya, ya motherless melon fudges?!" Rainbow motioned after her as she rocketed up hill. "Come and get me if ya friggin' can!"

With mindless shrieks, the legions of chaos lurched uphill, sailing after her with whipping scales. They weren't alone; the entire sky's worth of otherworldly summons surged as one. Soon, a pulsating ribbon of translucent bodies were tailing Rainbow closely.

Flapping her wings with iron-tight precision, Rainbow made a beeline for the north end of the mountain. The crisp air ahead of her was clear and the atmosphere behind her dribbled with blood and death. Unfazed, she led the murderous beasts to her final destination, her eyes locked on the eternal Yaerfaerda the entire time.

"Follow me to oblivion, ya dumbasses!" Rainbow smirked privately to herself. "Hurry up! I ain't got all night..."


"Ebon..." Eagle Eye sat just inches across from where the changeling violently shivered. "Ebon Mane, look at me!"

"How c-can you call me th-that?!" the creature stammered, face awash with tears. "How c-can anypony call me that?!" It looked around, wincing as the cabinets and counters of the tiny infirmary reflected the sheen of its natural green glow. "All th-this time! All this time!" It hugged itself tighter, curling up into a little ball. "Mrmmmfff... I've been leeching ponies! It makes so m-much sense! Oh Mother..." Its body jolted with a heavy gasp. The creature's eyes turned glossier as its fanged muzzle hung open. "Good heavens... Mother! She's..." A sob. "Sh-she's...!" A harder sob.

"Ebon! Please!" Eagle thrusted his forelimbs forward, grasping the shape-shifter's. "Look at me!"

"I c-can't! Eagle, I-I can't! Mmmmnnghh-Mother!" The thing tried to shake and wriggle its way out of Eagle Eye's grasp. "Mother, please... n-no! Oh Goddess, no!"

"I said look at me!" Eagle shouted.

The creature locked eyes with him. There was a brief flash of burgundy, but it was all-too-swiftly devoured by the black gloss. Nevertheless, the changeling froze in place with tiny, tiny twitches.

"You are Ebon Mane," Eagle Eye said quietly, firmly. "You're a kind and gentle earth pony. A handsome stallion."

"Ebon Mane... is a n-name..." The creature hissed, snarling now. "The name of a gentle earth pony who's dead!" It spat. "An earth pony who I killed!"

"Ebon—"

"I'm a monster, Eagle! A monster and a murderer—"

"You are a Jurist and a dang good cook—"

"I'm an imposter and a freak—"

"You are the stallion that I love!" Eagle shouted, yanking the metamorph onto his haunches so that the two stared eye-to-eye. "Ebon, I love you!" He panted, his tears mixing with sweat as he leaned forward. "I love you, Ebon." He gulped. "More than anything or anyone or anypony."

The changeling stared back, fangs trembling. A tear ran down its shell. "H-how do you know that, EE?"

Eagle bit his lip.

"You... you feel things... and I-I taste those feelings." A gulp. "And I feast..." A sneer. "And I starve!"

"Ebon..."

"I wish to Goddess that I knew sooner..." The thing sobbed, head bowing. "I w-would have fled! I would have rid every one of you of th-this danger!"

"I couldn't let that happen, Ebon!" Eagle said. He shook the creature's shoulders. "I promised myself I would not let you go harm's way!"

Just then, the creature's head jerked up. Its glossy eyes narrowed. "You knew?"

Eagle Eye held his tongue.

"You... knew, didn't you?" The changeling gulped. "For h-how long..."

"Ebon..."

"For how long, EE?!" its alien voice warbled.

Eagle took a deep breath. "...since Stratopolis, Ebon."

The creature slumped against the cabinet, shivering.

"Listen to me..." Eagle crawled closer, reaching a tender hoof towards the thing's shoulder. "I can't pretend to know what you're thinking, but trust me. You are the Ebon Mane of Gray Smoke. You are the Ebon Mane who made friends with Props. And you are the Ebon Mane who joined the jury and brought peace and contentment to my life. It is not a curse and it is not a magic spell, Ebon. I love you. I... I..." He winced. "I'm so sorry, Ebon. I'm s-so sorry that you had to find out this way. I should have told you, but I was scared. I was scared and I was selfish b-because I didn't want you punishing youself in a panic like this..." He gulped. "...and I didn't want you leaving me."

The creature hugged itself, rocking back and forth.

"Ebon..." Eagle sniffed, wiped his cheek dry and leaned forward. "Ebon, please, tell me what you are feeling..."

The changeling panted and panted. More tears trickled down its shell. "I'm sc-scared, EE..." Its eyes darted towards the ex-mercenary. "I'm so scared..." It whimpered and shook. "But how can I? What right do I have to be scared?" It gulped. "I'm not real..."

"Yes you are."

"Don't say that. You can't possibly know that!" It clenched its eyes shut. "If I open my eyes again... what will I be? Who will I be? Will I even be alive?! Mmmmff..." It curled its hollow forelimbs before its petite face. "Grhhhh... I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do. I don't know—"

"Ebon, listen to me, you are real."

"I'm not. I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm—"

"And was Elma any less real when she found out?!" Eagle blurted. "And was she poisoning us to love and care for her?!"

"Not the s-same. Not... it's n-not—"

"Ebon..." Eagle grabbed the creature's hooves and hoisted it up in a jerk. "Open your eyes!"

"Mmmm—!"

"Open them!"

The changeling squinted at Eagle, weak and feeble, trembling.

Eagle smiled. "I'm still here. And so are you." He sniffled, but fought to maintain his grin. "And I am never... ever leaving you. I promise with my whole heart. I will keep you safe. I will help you through this."

It blinked at the stallion. Its body trembled, and when it finally collapsed, it was with its face buried in Eagle's chest. Anguished, muffled sobs racked its carapace. Eagle folded his forelimbs around it, holding the creature close.

Nevertheless, the changeling whimpered and wailed, "Oh Eagle, it's n-no use! It won't work. It c-can't work!"

"Shhhh... We can make it work!"

"No we c-can't!" The thing hiccuped and whimpered, "I'm just a freak... a m-monster!"

"Ebon—"

"If you won't hurt me, they will!" It shivered. "Floydien... Josho... the Jury..."

"They'll understand..." Eagle fidgeted. "I... I-I'm almost certain of—"

"Roarke! If she finds out, then wh-what?!"

Eagle froze in place, his violet pupils shrinking.

"Nopony will have me! Not here! Not anywhere!"

"Ebon, just calm d-down. I..." Eagle grimaced, looking all over the infirmary. "I n-need to think. I..."

"EE, I'm so scared! Please..." It sobbed and shivered in the stallion's embrace, a tiny flutter of what the earth pony once was. "Help me. I beg of you. I d-don't know what to do... Mother... I-I don't... don't..." Its words melted into indecipherable cries.

Eagle teared up even more. He hugged the thing tight, nuzzling his head over the creature's head. He clenched his eyes shut, taking several deep breaths. Finally, with steely determination, he opened his eyes and frowned. "Come with me, Ebon."

"Mrmmmfff..." The shape-shifter shook, spasmed. "Wh... what?"

"I'm getting you out of here." Eagle was already levitating several supplies and shoving them into a floating bag.

The changeling looked up at the stallion, fangs trembling. "Getting... m-me out...?"

"Far away... as far as we have to..."

"But... but the Jury—"

"I made a promise..." Eagle hoisted the bag over his flank and tied it tight. "...a promise to you and you alone. I don't know how dangerous it will be with the secret out, and I don't want to risk it. All I want is to make sure you're safe. Do you understand?" At last, he levitated his shield over to himself. "I'm taking you away from here before anypony finds out."

"Where... wh-where will we go?"

"I don't know, and it doesn't matter." Eagle knelt down and cradled the creature's chin so that they stared face to face. "We'll be together. We'll start a new life—the life you always needed and the one I always wanted."

"But... b-but..."

"Please, Ebon..." Eagle stared firm, his eyes dry and determined. "Trust me. I will not let you down."

The changeling stared. Slowly, its trembles built back up. Without a word, it sniffled and leaned in to nuzzle the stallion back.

Eagle took the opportunity. He hoisted the weak creature over his flank and shuffled his weight until the changeling was comfortable. "Okay... okay okay okay..." He took a long, desperate breath. "... ... ..." He closed his eyes, paused, then reopened them. "Let's go."

The stallion dashed out, all the while the changeling clung tightly to his back, burrying his face into Eagle's mane.


As Eagle rushed into the mess hall, he slowed his gallop into a trot. Clenching his teeth, he eyed the couch where a tiny family huddled.

Pilate and Bellesmith were fast asleep. Kera dozed quietly between the two of them, her tattooed muzzle salty from dried tears.

Under bands of starlight twinkling through the portholes, Eagle Eye carefully crept past them. He paused once, staring at the two slumbering beloveds with their foals. His lips pursed, as if he was about to say something. His face teetered on the brink of an intense sob, but he swallowed it down with a frown.

Swiftly, he spun towards the kitchen and resumed his speedy canter.

The lounge fell in silence.

A few seconds later, one of Kera's green eyes squinted open. She blinked brightly. A breath later, she jumped up to her hooves and began shaking Belle's limbs.

"Belle... Belle!" Kera hissed. "Come on, wake up!"

"Mmmfnngh..." Belle stirred, wincing. "Pilate, beloved... Rainbow's... mmrff..."

"Wake up wake up wake up!" Kera's horn flashed as she tugged at the two ponies' manes.

This time, even Pilate began stirring. "Guhh... what in Spark's name...?"

"Kera?" Belle squinted at the foal.

"You never g-guessed what I just saw!" Kera squealed breathily.


Eagle bounded down the Noble Jury's stairwell until he was at the bottom floor. He paused to make sure the changeling was still clinging tight. With a deep breath, he made for the door to the rear hangar.

He bumped straight into Josho.

"Ooomf!" Eagle stumbled back, almost dropping the creature on his back.

"Can't sleep either, huh?" Josho grumbled from where he paced. "Yeesh, Princess, I'm telling ya. If I had a bit for every time we waited for the paint bucket to sacrifice her life in our absence..." He suddenly froze in place, squinting. "Uhhhhh... kiddo? What's with—"

Eagle Eye trotted briskly past him. "Josho, thanks for everything. I gotta go."

"Go?! Go where?!" Josho pointed. "And what in Ledo's name is that—"

"Hrrnngh!" Eagle spun with a glint of metal.

CLANG! The shield uppercutted Josho.

"Augh!" He fell back on his fat flank, sliding to a stop against the engine room's doorframe.

"Don't follow me, old stallion!" Eagle Eye snarled. He opened the door—but lingered slightly. A tiny whimper escaped his lips. Fidgeting, he spat out, "I-I'm sorry..." Then darted into the hangar, locking the door behind him.

"What... in the bl-blue bucking blazes?!" Josho struggled and struggled to get up.

The door to the engine room hissed open. Props and Zaid spilled out.

"JJ!" Props gasped.

"Whoah there, roly poly!" Zaid reached down with two hooves. "If you're gonna try pulling off that crap, try it in the shower!"

"This ain't no laughing matter, bozo!" Josho lurched up onto his hooves, wincing. "Eagle Eye's leaving!"

"He's leaving?!" Props gasped. "What for?!"

"I dunno, but he just went through me to do it!"

Hoofsteps echoed across the stairwell. Within a blink, Kera galloped to the bottom level, followed by a breathless Bellesmith and Pilate.

"Hey! Hey! Everypony!" Kera skidded to a stop. "Did you see Eagle Eye just now?!"

"No, but my chins did," Josho grumbled.

"Kera saw him rushing across the mess hall!" Belle said. "It looked like he had Ebon Mane on his back."

"He had something on his back alright," Josho grumbled. "But it sure as Hell wasn't Ebon."

"What on earth could you mean by that?" Pilate asked.

"Nnngh!" Props was shoving against the door to the infirmary. "Hey guys! Mr. Adoracutes locked us out!"

"He did not!" Zaid brushed Props aside and threw his shoulder into the door. "Nnnngh!" He leaned back, panting. "Holy hoofjobs, he did!"

Just then, the entire ship shook. Everypony could hear the metal rattle of hydraulic door parts moving through the bulkheads.

"What in heaven's name is going on here?!" Belle exclaimed.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say the hangar door was opening," Pilate stammered.

Everypony looked at one another.

"Blessed Spark," Belle gasped. "Top deck!"

Kera was the first to scamper up the stairs. Everypony swiftly followed suit.


"What in the spit is happening to Nancy Jane now?!" Floydien shouted from the cockpit.

"Feels like a release of pressure!" Booster Spice exclaimed. "Does this ship have opening compartments?"

"Yes yes yes! In the rear!"

"Then I think somepony's just opened it!" Booster exclaimed. His ears twitched to the sound of galloping hooves. He spun towards the stairwell.

The Jurists charged out, catching their breaths in the dim starlight.

"Anypony seen Eagle Eye?!" Kera asked.

"Who?!"

"The cute girl," Josho grumbled.

"You mean the blonde with the awesome goggles?"

"No, the cuter one!" Props chirped

Booster squinted. "The lavender unicorn?"

"That one!"

"I haven't seen anypony come up here until you guys just—"

"Don't be silly!" Belle shouted, rushing towards the starboard railing. "Look towards the ground! They'll have touched down by now!"

"They?!"

"Eagle Eye and Ebon!" Josho shouted, peering past the opened hangar doors at the stern. "They just jumped ship, and I'm willing to bet Princess used his magic!"

"Why in the spit would lover boomers jump ship?!"

"Just look for them, okay?! They can't have gone far!"

"Searching... searching..." Zaid squinted across the forest. "Reticulating splines..."

"Zaidy Waidy, less mouthing and more squinting."

"There!" Kera's voice cracked from the port side.

"Kera?" Pilate stammered as ponies galloped past him.

"Where?! Where?!" Props bounced.

"Down there! Look!" Kera pointed.

Every Jurist spotted two shapes galloping through the forest with a green glow.

"Wait..." Zaid blinked. "Doesn't EE's horn glow violet?"

"That's... n-not his horn," Josho murmured.

"Then if it's not his horn that's glowing, what's—?" Pilate began but didn't finish. His ears folded and he tilted his face across the Jury.

Bellesmith blinked at him. Ultimately, she realized he wasn't aiming his ears in her direction. She turned completely around.

Roarke was leaning over the starboard side. Her lenses extended all the way, locked on the fleeing figure. After a deep breath, she scowled heavily.

Belle blinked. "Roarke..."

Thw-Thwppp! The metal mare shot out a length of metal cables. They latched onto a tree's upper branches. Within the same breath, she leapt clear off the side of the Jury, swinging until she was at earth level. There, she landed with the grace of her metal-reinforced limbs, then broke into a swift gallop after the two.

Belle fell back on her haunches. "Oh Spark, no..."

"Dammit!" Josho grunted, making to leap over the railing. "Not my kid—!"

"Whoa whoah whoah!" Zaid and Booster Spice reached in, tugging the unicorn's heavy weight back. "Blondie! We gotta catch up with them before Roarke does!"

"Handsome!" Props was already hollering towards the cockpit. "You gotta land Nancy! This is a super hyper turbo ultra emergency!"

"Ungh! If you boomers wouldn't bleed yourselves out so quickly—"

"Mr. Floydien, please, you must lower the ship at once!" Pilate shouted.

"Yes yes yes! Glimmering in the doing!"

Everypony braced themselves as the ship rapidly descended.

Kera bit her lip, trembling. She didn't realize it, but she was side-stepping towards Belle, clinging to one of the adult mare's legs. Belle wrapped a hoof around the child, all the while her worried eyes stuck to the forest below as the trees came closer. Fresh tears glistened in the starlight.


Rainbow Dash didn't dare look behind her. Hearing the ear-shattering death roar of the pursuing creatures was real enough.

At last, the mountain peak came within reach. Rainbow spun a hard angle around it, piercing a layer of thick mist as she approached the opening. The dark chasm yawned before her like a purgatorial gate.

"Whelp..." She sucked her breath in, a taste of bitter cold winds. "...time for open house." She took her last glance of starlight, then dropped.

Just as the closest waves of serpents nipped at her hooves, Rainbow jerked hard to the right, twirled, and plunged deep into the mountainous abyss. A solid rope of ravenous serpents sailed after her, returning speedily to their vile lair, abandoning the country outside.

PreviousChapters Next