• Published 21st Jun 2017
  • 13,149 Views, 1,678 Comments

Blonde Moments - FamousLastWords



Spike has been volunteering time to entertain the fillies and colts at the local hospital. Everything changes, however, when his kind actions are noticed by a mare with much less fortunate circumstances.

  • ...
22
 1,678
 13,149

Carousel

Author's Note:

Oh boy.


Another update long overdue in the coming. Well, only a couple weeks, but still.


Anyhow, this chapter is pretty important in Spike's personal growth with his friends. However, the whole serious thing is something I'm still refining as far as my writing skill goes.


Nevertheless, I really hope you enjoy it!

Spike sipped his coffee, being held by his shaking claws. He had stepped before the thrones of the most powerful ponies in the land, battled toe to toe against the most evil tyrants and heinous individuals imaginable. Yet, nothing has ever made him feel more nervous than the idea of seeing Derpy again, especially after the sour way their previous encounter ended.

Spike was leaning forward in the dining room chair, staring at the table before him. “Alright, Spike, it’s do or die today. Gotta suck up your pride and fear, and go apologize.”

On one side of the argument, he still had no idea why it felt so important to go fix things with Derpy. On the other, he really really wanted to be able to see her again… for whatever reason that might be.

He took another sip of his liquid energy and let out a breathy sigh. At least he had Rarity’s help to hopefully fall back on. She was an expert on all things mare-ish, so with any luck, she’d have a few tips and tricks she could provide. Again, hopefully.

Spike’s thoughts were soon interrupted by the clip-clop sound of hoofs trailing into the kitchen. He looked up to find a very tired looking Starlight entering the room.

“Hey, uh, morning Starlight.”

“Ugh.”

“Day already off to a splendid start, I see,” he said.

“Meh,” she replied, immediately traversing the dining area to the kitchen. She returned in quick fashion with a cup of coffee of her own. “You let me down, Spike. You let me down hard.”

“How so, exactly?”

Starlight took a seat across the table from Spike. “The good coffee. The stuff you keep in your room. It’s out. And now I have to subject myself to this stuff.”

Spike shrugged. “Sorry, Starlight. I used the last of it up this morning. You snooze, you lose.”

Starlight frowned. “You can be so cruel, sometimes.”

The dragon chuckled. “Says the ex-dictator. Anyhow, I needed it more, anyway. I’ve got a lot going on, today.”

The mare took a quick swig of her beverage. “Oh really? Are you gonna try to make reparations with Derpy today?”

“That’s the plan,” Spike stated. “Not sure how it’s gonna go, but hopefully I can at least get an apology in before she tells me to hit the road.”

“Eh, I’m sure you’ll do fine, Spike.” Starlight paused for a moment. “Besides, I gotta give you props for acting fast. I kinda expected you to take a few days to wallow in your pride and angst before doing anything.”

“Nah, I already wallowed enough yesterday.” Spike let his head fall into his palm. “Besides, for whatever reason, I really wanna be able to see her again. Like, soon. She’s really cool.”

“Ugh,” Starlight said with a shake of her head. “We talked about this yesterday. It’s obvious you like her, you just need to admit it to yourself instead of stewing in your emotional insecurity.”

Spike felt his cheeks burn ever so slightly into a pink tint. “Yeah, maybe, but I barely know her yet.”

“True, but it’s not like the heart has ever worked on a functional timetable before.” Starlight chuckled. “Besides, she’s cute. No shame in liking her.”

Spike grinned. “She is pretty cute, huh? I like her eyes. They’re kinda wonky, but it adds character. Oh, and her mane is nice, too. And her voice.”

Starlight smiled and rolled her eyes. “Yep, you’re smitten. Now, snap out of it and focus on the task at hoof.”

“Right, right… What was it again?”

“Apologizing?”

“Right, right.” Spike shook his head. “Okay, so my plan is to start by seeing Rarity first thing this morning. I figure the best way to approach this situation is talking to someone who has some experience with the whole dating scene. And no offense, you and Twilight are not exactly the best examples.”

Starlight growled under her breath. “Pfft, thanks for that.”

“No problem. Anyhow, I’m assuming Rarity will have some kind of idea of how to go about things. I wanna show her that I’m sorry and wanna still be friends, but I also don’t wanna come on too strong.”

Starlight rubbed her chin for a moment. “You do have a tendency to go overboard sometimes. Like the time you tried impressing Roseluck and ended up spending a night in Canterlot prison.”

“We don’t speak of such things.” Spike glared at her. “Besides, how was I supposed to know fireworks counted as explosives?”
“Well, despite your previous failures in all things dating, I have every confidence you’ll do great today and make things right.” Starlight smiled at him and gave him a quick wink.

“Are you saying that because you actually believe it, or just because that’s what you’re supposed to say to make me feel better?”

“Eh, a little of both. Kinda leaning toward the second, to be honest.”

Spike sighed. “Thank you, Starlight. Your support knows no ends.”

“I’m nothing if not honest,” she replied.

“Fair enough,” Spike said. “But at the same time, is it even worth trying to salvage?”

“Oh boy, here we go,” Starlight said. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, it’s not like we were actually dating or anything. She probably just thinks I’m an annoying little dragon at this point.”

“Oh, everyone already thinks that anyway,” Starlight said with a smirk. “Sorry, couldn’t resist. Anyway, dating or not, your friendship with her is at least something you want to hold onto. And, honestly, you get a really goofy smile on your face whenever you even mention her. If you ask me, that’s something worth saving. And if she just tells you to get lost, then you can at least walk home in rejection knowing you tried. That’s worth something, right?”

Spike groaned. “Oh, it'll be worth something alright. Worth an immediate barrage of unrelenting snark and jokes from you, I bet.”

Starlight shook her head. “I promise, if everything goes to Tartarus, I’ll wait at least forty-eight hours before giving you a hard time. Fair enough?”

“Well, it’s better than nothing. Deal.” Spike scooted back his chair and stood up. “Well, the only way we’re gonna find out how it goes is if I get going, I suppose.”

“Now you’re talking,” Starlight said. “Be a dragon of action, not just talk. You got this!”

Spike smiled and walked toward the door. “I hope so. I really do. But we’ll see.”

With that, Spike exited the room and made his way to the door of the castle. The first stop on his journey to redemption: Rarity’s house.



“...And that’s why I’m here, Rarity. I seek your guidance in my greatest time of need. So, be that as it may, I have but one question to ask of you. Will you help me?”

Rarity took a sip of her tea and curtly nodded before using her magical grip to set the cup back down on the counter. “Well, I have good news for you, my dear. Yes, I can.”

Spike breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed back into the sofa cushions. “Thanks, Rares. I owe you big time. So, given the evidence I’ve laid out in regards to my stupidity, what do you make of the situation?”

The mare lightly rubbed her chin and scrunched up her face, the gears appearing to turn in her head at a steady, yet fast-paced motion. “This is quite the predicament you’ve found yourself in, dear. Many a stallion have faced said challenge before and run away screaming, only to dwell in their misery for years to come.”

Spike gulped. “That doesn’t sound very reassuring, Rarity.”

Rarity shook her head and reached a hoof over to the dragon sitting next to her, lightly patting his head. “Have no fear, Spikey. For you are cut from different cloth than most males, are you not?”

Spike blinked a few times and shrugged. “Maybe. I seem to be just as inept at life’s basic expectations as most of the other guys I know. It’s rather sad, to be honest.”

“Pfft, don’t be so hard on yourself.” Rarity turned to face him, a fierce glint in her eye. “Yes, it is true you sent the poor mare flying out of the restaurant in tears on your first date—”

“Friend date.”

“Oh hush, dear. You’re not fooling me.” Rarity waved a hoof at the now grumbling dragon before continuing. “Yes, you managed to cause a scene of emotional angst that even the most prolific of romance writers could only hope to capture. But, instead of running away and hiding in your room, you’re back out on the field, ready to make your next move. And lucky for you, you have me on your side. Ponyville’s resident expert on all things feminine.”

Spike smiled a toothy grin. “Exactly! I knew you were the one to go to, Rarity. You’re always there when I need you.”

“Of course, dear,” Rarity stated with a warm smile. “But, the best advice I could give you is something you’ve already learned.”

Spike toned down his grin and replaced it with a more quizzical smirk. “Umm, what now?”

“Spike,” Rarity spoke up. “A mare’s heart is something very few can understand. You know this, yes?”

“You have no idea,” Spike said with a chuckle.

“Well, then you know that every case like this is unique and there’s no easy solution,” Rarity said. “But, the biggest mistake you could make, if you actually care about this mare, of course, is doing nothing. So, by even asking me for advice in the first place, you’re already doing the right thing.”

Spike let out yet another sigh and drooped his head. “I guess so. But why is doing the right thing so difficult? You’d think fixing a friendship should be easy. It should be something I already know how to do and have a plan for. Instead, it feels like I’m fighting blind.”

“Because if it wasn’t difficult, then it would signify that you didn’t care about rectifying things in the first place.” Rarity rested a hoof on his shoulder. “The fact this is so hard for you and that you’re still doing what you have to do speaks miles about your personality and how mature you are. And trust me, she will see it, too.”

Spike nodded and stood up from his seat. “I hope so, Rarity. But, that kinda leads me to something else I wanna ask. Something… I think you’re the best pony to answer for me.”

“What would that be, dear?”

“Well, I’m having a bit of a war with myself about this whole thing,” Spike said, pacing back and forth across the living room floor. “Like, I’ll admit it was a date, alright? That’s said and done. But… I’m really wondering if I actually like her or not.”

“I see,” Rarity said. “Why do you say that?”

“You see, back in the day when I was obsessed with you, it seemed so obvious. Like, I knew that I loved you. I knew that you were beautiful and wonderful and a billion other things. It was just so obvious. But this time, the feelings seem more… subtle. Like, I look at her and I smile. I feel good. She makes me laugh. She’s cute. But at the same time…”

“You’re not sure what you’re actually feeling.”

“Exactly!” Spike stopped his pacing to face Rarity directly. “It honestly feels like I like her, but I barely know her. We’ve had one date that barely qualified as anything romantic and other than that, I just don’t know what to feel. Logically, it doesn’t make any sense, but somewhere deep down, I feel right when I’m around her. Ugh, I just don’t get it.”

Rarity chuckled and nodded her head. “I understand what you’re going through perfectly, dear. But, you’re making a crucial error in your line of thinking.”

Spike scratched his head. “I would ask what that is, but at the risk of sounding even more stupid, I’ll just go ahead and let you tell me anyway.”

“Darling, when it comes to the mysteries of the heart, logic is not something that can properly define or measure it. It’s fleeting, it’s flowing… it’s unscripted. It’s difficult to tell exactly how things will turn out and it’s impossible to plan for it. So, the best thing I’ve learned in these situations is to not even try. Just see where things take you and do your best along the way. Do you understand?”

Spike’s mind did a few flips in his head as he heard Rarity’s provoking yet seemingly out of character speech. “I… I think I do get it. But, honestly, how do you know all of this deep stuff? When I came over here I was hoping you’d give me some basic advice you found in a novel, not a psychological pep talk.”

Rarity hummed with a smug grin. “Well, Spike, I’m no stranger to the feelings of romance. At least no more of a stranger than anyone else. Also, I did take two semesters of psychology in school. I thought it would help with rounding out my fashion business credentials.”

Spike smiled. “Well, you learn something new every day, I suppose.”

“Speaking of which,” Rarity said, standing to her hooves in front of Spike. “I hope you learned a little bit in your visit here. I’m sorry I couldn’t do more for you, but this is something you really need to do on your own.”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, I kinda knew it all along, but maybe I just needed someone to give me a boost. I really wanna fix this.”

“I’m sure you will, love.” Rarity motioned for Spike to follow her over to the door, which she promptly opened. “Now, as opposed to spending more time here, I think it’s time you get out there and go talk to this mare.”

Spike took a deep breath and stepped onto the porch. “Alright, I can do this. Thanks again, Rarity.” Spike was about to take his first steps toward the perilous journey ahead of him but quickly flipped around as one more question came to his mind. “Uhh, Rarity? Really quick.”

“Yes?”

“How did Starlight’s order go?”

Rarity shuddered. “It got done… But please inform her she’s blacklisted for the next two months.”

Without another word, Spike hopped off the porch and began his trek into the Ponyville town square. It was time to find Derpy and fulfill his destiny. Hopefully, he would come out victorious.