• Published 21st Jun 2017
  • 13,149 Views, 1,678 Comments

Blonde Moments - FamousLastWords



Spike has been volunteering time to entertain the fillies and colts at the local hospital. Everything changes, however, when his kind actions are noticed by a mare with much less fortunate circumstances.

  • ...
22
 1,678
 13,149

Some Origins of Fire

The sun was just beginning to set in the sky. Despite the heat from earlier in the day, the temperature had begun to subside, leading to a very pleasant trip from Derpy’s house to the Carousel Boutique. Derpy and Dinky followed closely behind Spike as the approached the porch.

Neither Spike nor Derpy did anything particularly special with his or her appearance as both were assured this was not to be a formal dinner. Dinky, however, had her mane done to the side, held in place by a small, sunflower hair clip.

Spike smiled at the pair. “Alright, guys, you ready for a great night?”

Derpy politely nodded. “Ready.”

Dinky, however, scratched at her ear and reluctantly bobbed her head. “I’m ready, but my hair clip thingy itches.”

“You’re the one who wanted to wear it,” Derpy said. “You can take it off if you want.”

“No,” she replied, shaking her head. “Rarity is really pretty and I wanna be pretty, too. Am I pretty?”

Derpy chuckled and rolled her eyes. “Yes, Dinky, you’re very—’

“Not you,” Dinky said, giving Derpy a stern but brief glare. “I was talking to Spike. You have to say yes ‘cuz you’re my sister. Spike doesn’t have to because he’s not my sister.”

“Well, you can’t argue with that logic,” Spike said with shrug. “So, you want my honest opinion Dinky?”

“Mhm!” She said, bouncing in the air.

Spike knelt down to her level. “Well, you gotta keep this just between you and me so you don’t make anypony feel bad. Promise?”

Dinky nodded. “I promise.”

“Well, I’m pretty sure when Rarity sees you tonight, she’s gonna have to design an entire line of dresses after you because you’re just that pretty.”

Dinky’s jaw hit the floor as a large gasp escaped her lips. However, it was quickly replaced with an ear to ear smile. “Wow! You hear that, Derpy?”

Derpy smiled at Spike and then at her sister. “Yes, Dinky, I heard. Now, you’ll need to calm down and be polite while we’re eating tonight, okay?”

“Yes, ma’am!” She gave her best Royal Guard salute and stood at attention right between the two adults.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Spike rapped a few times on the door. He normally could just walk in, given that Rarity’s home also doubled as a business, but the ‘Closed’ sign on the door required a bit more of a tactful approach.

“Just a moment!” Rarity’s voice rang out with its prototypical sing-song tone. As promised, it was but a moment later when the handle began to twist and the door swung open. The white unicorn was standing in its place. “Good evening, good evening. Do come in, won’t you?”

She stepped aside, allowing the three to enter. Spike, of course, was already quite familiar with the surroundings. He gave a quick wave at Rarity as they strolled in. The other two, however, were much more cautious as they entered. Derpy did her best to appear confident, but she had her head lightly dipped and her face partially covered by her mane. Dinky, however, lost all sense of shyness when she entered. Her eyes darted to every nook and cranny. She ooh’d and aww’d at the gorgeous furniture, beautiful carpets and interesting artwork that Rarity had on display.

“Hey, Rares,” Spike said, once all three were in. “We’re here on time, as promised.”

Rarity briefly smiled at Spike but immediately transitioned her attention to the two mares present. “Oh, you must be Derpy! I feel like we’ve met in passing but never had the chance to actually meet one another.”

“Yeah, that’s me,” Derpy replied with a warm smile. “And this is Dinky, my younger sister.”

Dinky paused her wonderment and beamed up Rarity. “Hi!” She made sure, of course, to position her mane clip where Rarity could see it.

“Oh, hello, darling,” Rarity said. “I’m Rarity.”

“I already know who you are,” Dinky said. “You’re Rarity and you’re super pretty. Spike used to tell us that at the hospital before he met my sister.”

“Oh boy…” Spike tried to shrink away from the conversation, but the quick glances from the trio of mares brought him back.

“Oh, did he now?” Rarity asked with a snicker. “Well, he is very sweet. But, you and your sister are quite lovely as well. You must tell me, where did you get that adorable manepin?”

“It was my momma’s,” Dinky said, showing it off with even more pride. “Derpy only lets me wear it sometimes, though.”

“Oh,” Rarity said, pulling back from the conversation. “Well, it’s quite lovely, sweetheart.”

“Thank you, Miss Rarity.”

“Well,” Spike said, clapping loud enough to break up the conversation. “I don’t know about you guys, but I’m hungry. I can’t wait to see what you cooked up for us, Rarity.”

“Me too!” Dinky shouted, hopping in the air. “I love food!”

“Well, I shan’t keep you two waiting, then,” Rarity stated. “If you three will kindly be seated at the dining table, I’ll bring dinner out immediately.”

Rarity exited to the kitchen as the other three sat around said table. Plates, silverware and cups were already laid out for them. After a short time, Rarity returned carrying two pans of food with her.

“Voila! Dinner is served!”

Rarity took the empty seat next to Spike while Dinky and Derpy were seated on the other side. Spike would’ve liked to sit next to Derpy, but she insisted on sitting with Dinky for the sake of possible chaos control. Her reasons were valid, so Spike couldn’t complain.

The food that Rarity had made looked absolutely scrumptious. It was a vegetable stir-fry on a bed of brown rice. Peapods, eggplant and various mild peppers were steaming and crispy, ready for the eating. There was a light seasoning of pepper and exotic spices that dusted the food. Enough to add just a dash of heat, but nothing too intense.

The smiles on their faces made it very clear that the meal was a success. Rarity had also made a peanut butter and banana sandwich, just in case Dinky preferred something a bit safer, but the filly was gobbling it down with more ferociousness than the rest of them.

“Rarity, this is really good,” Spike said after swallowing a bite.

“Yeah,” Derpy chimed in. “Thank you so much for making this.”

Dinky had her mouth full so she was content in expressing her satisfaction with a jovial nod.

“Well, I am so very glad you all enjoy it,” Rarity spoke up. “I haven’t had the opportunity to cook for anypony else in some time so I was worried what the results might be. But, as they say, if you don’t take the risks, you’ll never receive the rewards.”

“Gosh,” Spike said. “You should honestly come cook for us at the castle sometime. Starlight is good, but when she’s gone, all hope is lost.”

“Hehe, well, I’m glad you appreciate it, Spike.”

A bit of a lull hung in the air for the next minute or so as the four of them chowed down on their food. Spike was hoping to think of something to liven things up a bit, but as always, he could trust Dinky to break the ice for everypony.

Dinky had been staring off into space for a few seconds. However, she quickly snapped herself out of it and looked across the table. “Miss Rarity, do you think Spike is cool?”

Rarity set her fork down and smiled at her. “Why yes, I do think so. He’s cool and very sweet.”

“Oh, okay,” Dinky sighed and turned to her sister. “You better hurry up, Derpy, or Miss Rarity might marry Spike before you do.”

“PFFFT!”

All three adults nearly choked on the contents in their mouths at the same time. Blushes were had all around.

“Dinky!” Derpy whisper-shouted, wishing there were something to hide behind.

Spike was doing the exact same. “Well, uh, that’s not really… yeah.”

“Look, dear,” Rarity said, taking a moment to wipe her face off with her napkin. “You should have no fear of such a thing happening. What I had meant to say was that although I think Spike is very cool and sweet, I’ve also never seen him happier than when he’s with your sister.”

Dinky’s solemn face had now turned into a bright grin. “Yay! There’s still hope!”

Spike leaned over and whispered to Rarity. “Nice save.”

“You don’t grow up with a younger sister and not know how to handle these situations,” she whispered back.

Rarity and Spike shared a quick hoof bump under the table and things carried on as usual. This time, however, Spike wanted to initiate the conversation.

“So, Rarity, like I mentioned earlier, me and Derpy are really excited for the Couple’s Dance coming up.” Spike smiled at his marefriend briefly before turning back the white unicorn. “I only have one problem, though. I was looking through my closet before coming over here and I don’t really have any nice suits that fit anymore. I don’t suppose I could get my name thrown into the list for getting some clothes made?”

Rarity’s ear-piercing squeal was the only answer he needed.

“Of course, darling!” she exclaimed. “It’s been ages since I’ve gotten to create any customer clothing for you.” She immediately began sizing the dragon up and down. “Yes, yes… I’d have to throw your old measurements I have on file out. But, I could create something absolutely lovely, I’m sure.”

“Thanks, Rares,” Spike said. “Derpy is so pretty, so I’ll need something to make it look like I have business standing next to her.”

Derpy once again ducked her head a bit to hide behind her mane. “Oh, yeah, well you look pretty good, too, Spike. Besides, the dress I was going to wear isn’t anything spec—”

“Oh,” Rarity interjected, her eyes beelined toward Derpy. “Darling, I simply beg of you to let me create a gown for you. I can make coordinated outfits for you and Spike! It’ll be so much fun! Oh, and free of charge, of course. Some things are bit more important than bits.”

Derpy smiled. “Oh, well, if you insist. You don't’ have to, though.”

“Oh, but I do!” Rarity stated. “As a friend of Spike’s you’re a friend of mine and helping my friends is never a chore, but a way of life.”

“Careful, Rarity,” Spike said with a chuckle. “Your generosity is showing.”

The mare smirked at him before calming down once more and turning back to the rest of the room. “Well, the point of the matter is that I would love to assist you two. Before you leave, if you’d allow me to simply take a few measurements, I can get started immediately.”

“That sounds fair to me,” Spike said. “Is this alright with you, Derpy?”

She quickly nodded. “Yeah, definitely. Thank you very much, Rarity. I really appreciate it. Spike wasn’t lying about how kind you are.”

“Oh, well,” Rarity said with a wave of her hoof. “I do try, darling. But this is a case most important so it’s the least I could do.”

“What about me?” Dinky squeaked out. “Do I get to go to the Couple’s Dance, too?”

“Dinky,” Derpy stated. “You can when you’re older. Right now, you’re not old enough to be in a couple.”

“Aww,” she said, folding her hooves. “How old do you have to be?”

“At least old enough to remember to wipe your mouth off,” Derpy replied. She took a napkin and quickly wiped off her sister’s pouting face.

“Speaking of which,” Spike said. “If you approve, I do know a pony who’d be interested in watching Dinky while we’re gone.”

“You know a babysitter, Spike?” Derpy asked.

“Well, she’s not a professional,” Spike said. “But I can attest to her being a good and responsible pony. Do you know Sweetie Belle?”

Derpy had to think for a just a moment. “Oh, yes I do! She’s your younger sister, right Rarity?”

“That she is,” Rarity said with an eye roll. “She is sweet, I’ll give her that, but she’s a hooffull in her own right at times. But, in all seriousness, she’d be a great babysitter.”

Derpy looked at Dinky for a moment and then returned her attention back to the others. “Well, I’d like to meet her personally at some point, but that does sound like a good idea.”

“Awesome!” Spike said. “Sounds like we’ve got ourselves a plan of attack.”
The three of them finished up their meal: enjoying casual conversation and having a good time all around. It was nothing major, just a simply friendly dinner, but Spike found a lot of enjoyment in seeing his marefriend becoming friends with his long-time best friend. It was a small start, but things slowly seemed to be getting more and more real with he and Derpy as a couple. What started as just one on one time together had evolved into sharing social circles and group activities.

He was loving it.


It was later at night when Spike finally walked Derpy and Dinky home. Well, Derpy and Spike did the walking whilst Dinky had fallen fast asleep curled up on her sister’s back. But, neither of them could complain. She had been so well-behaved the entire night and eating as much food as she did would make anypony exhausted.

Spike was standing in the living room of Derpy’s house, waiting for her to return from putting Dinky in her bed. It gave him a few free seconds to think if nothing else.

It had been such a fantastic day. It started with a great day at the park and finished with his marefriend making the first steps of friendship with one of his oldest friends. Not only that, but they made concrete plans for the Couple’s Dance, which he was admittedly just as excited for as he was nervous.

Things just kept going his way. But, they weren’t really just his way anymore. Because for whatever reason, his way kept becoming more and more linked with things that were good for Derpy.

Oh great, he was falling prey to the ‘romance novel syndrome’ as Starlight liked to call it. At least he was self-aware about it, though.

His train of thought was cut short, however, as the echo of hoofsteps began to get closer. Derpy finally returned and trotted up to Spike.

“Thanks for being patient,” Derpy said. “I was hoping to get to say goodbye without a filly on my back.”

“Of course,” he replied. “I’m just thankful you guys were able to come out for dinner tonight. That, and I’m also pretty grateful I didn’t do anything stupid at dinner to embarrass myself.”

Derpy chuckled. “Well, I’m thankful for the same thing. I thought for sure I’d have tripped and knocked over something expensive. I’m not the most graceful of ponies as you’ve seen before.”

“Well, we both made it out alive and had a good time. I suppose that’s what counts in the grand scheme of things, right?”

“Right.”

Spike’s eyes darted to the hall for a split-second. “Did Dinky have a good time? It seemed like it, but you know her better than I do.”

“Oh, definitely,” Derpy said. “I don’t know how you did it, but she really loves you, Spike. Dinky has a hard time getting along with most other ponies, but you may as well be her best friend at this point.”

“Really?” Spike asked. “I imagine she’d have a hard time finding friends after being cooped up for so long, so I guess I just wanted to be someone she could trust. I dunno, I’m glad it’s working… whatever it is.”

“It’s definitely working.” Derpy sighed and looked up at the dragon. “But you’re not the only reason I know she had a good time, tonight. She also loves spicy foods. If it were up to her, she’d eat peppers by the pound.”

“I’d love to take credit for it,” Spike said, “but I legit had no idea what Rarity was cooking tonight. So I’m glad it worked out that way.”

“Yeah, me too,” Derpy said. “After all, she was never allowed to have anything remotely spicy while she was sick. Which makes sense I mean given the situation, but it was still kind of sad.”

“Situation?” Spike looked at her with a cocked eyebrow.

Derpy released a sigh. “Well, the reason she had to go to the hospital in the first place was she was having really bad stomach pains. Those turned out to lead to more complications, which resulted with her having stomach ulcers. And what’s worse, they were having issues healing, even with the medication. It took so many different medicines until they found one that worked.”

“Oh.” Spike rubbed the back of his head. “That does not sound fun at all. I mean, I get crabby if I have a cold, hehe.”

“Yeah, well, the important thing is that she’s better now,” Derpy said with a smile. “And I can’t help but think you helped with that. Reading her stories, playing games with her and stuff.”

Spike blushed and tried to wave it off. “Yeah, well, things at the castle were getting boring and I needed something to do in the afternoons.”

“Heh, whatever you say, Spike.” Derpy got a bit closer and kissed him. It was a softer kiss, as hers usually were, but she held it a bit longer than usual before finishing it off with a nuzzle to his cheek. Spike, for his part, wrapped his arms around her and hugged her close, burrowing his muzzle into her mane. After he released her he made his way to the door.

“Well, I guess it’s time to say goodnight, unfortunately.”

Derpy frowned and nodded. “Yeah.”

“Don’t worry,” Spike said with a smile. “I’ve got some things I have to do the next few days, but right after that I’ll be banging down your door to see you again.”

“You promise?”

“Yeah. You trust me, right?”

Derpy bobbed her head with more energy this time. “Of course. Have a good night, Spike.”

“Good night, Derpy.”

He opened the door and made his way out to the porch. He took a deep breath and started his way back to the castle. He wasn’t really sure what would come of the dance or anything like that, but at that moment, there was one thing he knew for absolute certain.

It was getting harder and harder to say goodbye to her.

Author's Note:

Hopefully, Rarity doesn't go hog-wild with the clothing designs and whatnot.

Anyhow, this was a fun chapter. I hope you guys liked it!