• Published 21st Jun 2017
  • 13,134 Views, 1,678 Comments

Blonde Moments - FamousLastWords



Spike has been volunteering time to entertain the fillies and colts at the local hospital. Everything changes, however, when his kind actions are noticed by a mare with much less fortunate circumstances.

  • ...
22
 1,678
 13,134

True Love

For the first time since he started this relationship with Derpy, Spike desperately wished everything could be just like a romance novel. If that were the case, he wouldn’t be searching all over town for Derpy.

He had already checked all the usual suspects where a heartbroken pony might be. The park where they bonded for the first time. The empty grass patch where he gave her the flower. The restaurant where they had their first actual date. She was in none of those places!

Spike was now in town square, looking around at the few ponies that were still about returning to their homes. It was late evening at this point so the streets weren’t exactly populated. And, of course, the blonde pegasus was nowhere to be found.

He took one last glance around the quickly emptying street. The whole situation seemed to fit right in with the recent chain of events he’d been going through.

However, on the other end of the street, he did notice one pony that still in the process of packing up her cart for the day. Maybe she could help? It was worth a shot if nothing else.

“Hey, Roseluck!” Spike shouted out, walking toward the flower pony.

She in turn responded with a weak, tired smile. “Oh, hello Spike. What’s up?”

“I know you’re trying to get home and everything, but real quick, have you seen Derpy around recently? I kinda messed something up and I really need to talk to her.”

Roseluck took a moment to examine him and chuckled. “Well, with a look like that on your face, it must be a matter of life and death, huh?”

“You have no idea,” Spike said, averting his eyes for a moment. “But, I can’t seem to find her anywhere.”

Roseluck shrugged. “I haven’t seen her since she dropped my mail off this morning. Where have you looked?”

Spike scratched his head. “Well, the park, our favorite restaurant, our dating spots— You know, all the emotional, romantic places I figured she’d be at.”

Roseluck tapped a hoof on the ground and raised an eyebrow. “Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but have you tried checking her house?”

It was at that moment he realized exactly how low he was on the evolutionary chain.

“Um… no, I totally didn’t think of that.” Spike blushed. “But I suppose that’d be a good place to start, huh?”

“It just might be,” she said with a grin.

The dragon was about to run away to find Derpy immediately but halted himself in his tracks. “Hey, uh, I don’t suppose you have any flowers left, do you?”

She shook her head. “Nope. Sold out. You’re on your own this time, unfortunately.”

“Figures,” Spike said with a shake of his head. “I guess I’ll just have to make things up to her with my social awkwardness and poorly timed jokes. That’s a recipe for success, right?”

She shrugged. “You’ll never know unless you try.”

“Good point. Thanks again. Roseluck!”

Spike immediately dashed off to Derpy’s residence as fast as his feet could carry him, cursing himself under his breath the entire time. Leave it to him to overthink and romanticize even the simplest details of his life. It was almost poetic irony that he was the one on the relationship who seemed to have blonde moments all the time. Well, if nothing else, he was using up his stupid quota for the day. If that was the case, he should have no problem with this conversation with Derpy. Or so he hoped.

After a minute or so of running and promptly heaving to catch his breath, he finally arrived at her home. He rapped on the door a few times, twiddling his thumbs as he waited for some response from the other side. Luckily, he was rewarded in haste as he heard the sounds of hooves shuffling around inside.

And then the door opened.

“Huuuh, Spike!”

He had not time to react as he was suddenly under siege from a blonde filly.

“Hey, Dinky!” Spike said.

Dinky for her part had firmly latched onto his leg, giving him the tightest hug she could muster. “Spike! I missed you so much! It’s been at least…” She bit her lip attempting to count as high as she could. “...forever since I got to see you last.”

She looked straight up at him with the widest eyes he’d ever seen.

“Well, hey, I’m here to see you guys, now, right?” Spike smiled and picked her up, holding her in his arms. Dinky immediately took the opportunity to nuzzle his cheek as he carried her inside. Upon entering, Spike set Dinky down onto the floor.

“Wait right here for justa teensy bit,” she said. “Ima go get my sister. She’s been all sad and stuff today. She’ll be way happier with you here!”

With that, Dinky raced down the hall, back to Derpy’s room more than likely. Meanwhile, Spike steeled himself for anything. If only Dinky knew that he was actually the reason she was so sad.

It was only a few seconds later, however, when Dinky poked out of the hallway again, dragging her sister with her by the hoof.

“C’mon, Derpy!” she squeaked. “He’s gonna leave if you don’t hurry and I don’t want him to leave!”

With a few more seconds of hard work from Dinky, Derpy finally made her first appearance from the depths of the darkened hallway. She looked up at Spike and it suddenly became apparent just how she was feeling about this whole situation.

She had deep, darkened bags hanging under her eyes. Her normally brushed and parted mane was in complete disarray. Her beautiful, golden eyes were practically bloodshot and swollen up.

This was, by far, the most guilt Spike had ever felt about anything.

“Oh, hey, Derpy,” he said with a weak smile. “How’re you doing?”

Spike mentally facepalmed. But, of course, being completely oblivious to the obvious had been a running theme so far, so it probably hadn’t run its course yet.

She tilted her head down, doing her best to hide her appearance behind her frazzled mane. “I’ve… been better.”

“I know the feel,” Spike replied. “I’m sorry I kind of came over without warning. I just really... really wanted to see you.”

Derpy perked up just a bit, looking at him directly for a moment. “It’s okay, Spike. I’m glad. I’ve been wanting to see you, too.”

“Me too!”

Both of them turned their heads to the filly standing between them. She was wagging her tail in excitement as she bounced her eyes back and forth between the two. Both adults couldn’t help but release a few chuckles at the sight of her. Nothing like adorable fillies to take the edge off of a situation.

“So,” Spike continued, “I don’t suppose there’s any chance you have some time to talk today, do you?”

Derpy slowly nodded. “Y-Yeah. Let’s talk.”

Spike knelt down and looked at Dinky. “So, me and your sister need to have a grown up conversation, okay? So, I need you to do me a big favor. Can you do me a favor?”

Dinky tilted her head to the side. “What kind of favor?”

“Well, I’m gonna talk to your sister outside, so I need you to be the boss of the house for a bit. You think you can handle that?”

“Hmmm,” Dinky thought for a moment before bobbing her head in a brisk nod. “Yeah, I can do it! I’ll make sure everything stays safe while you’re both gone.”

“‘Atta girl,” Spike said, giving her a quick hoof bump.

He rose back up to his feet and looked at his marefriend. “So, can we talk out front? I wouldn't mind getting some fresh air for a bit.”

Derpy glanced at her sister briefly before turning back to Spike. “Sure, that’s probably a good idea.”

Spike opened up the door, letting Derpy out first, while he followed right behind her, making sure to shut the door behind him. Spike was the first to make a move, sitting cross-legged on the soft grass in front of the home. Derpy sat down as well, a few inches from him.

For the first few moments, nothing was said. But, the awkward silence spoke volumes. They knew what was going on. They knew what they needed to talk about. But neither of them wanted to bring it up. But then again, why would anypony want to bring it up?

“It’s a really beautiful evening, huh?” Spike asked, looking towards the setting sun. “I’m glad it’s not too hot today. It’s warm enough having ignitable fluids running through my body as it is. You know, dragon problems and stuff.”

Derpy smiled. “Yeah. It’s really pretty.”

They looked at the sky together for a moment. The sun’s descent left behind a gorgeous trail of pink and orange streaks across the clouds. A light wind blew through the air, provide a calm coolness to the atmosphere.

Spike was about to try his claw at another ill-fated joke, but was silenced as Derpy spoke up again.

“Before I met you, I never really took the time to enjoy things like this.” She pointed a hoof at the sky. “The clouds, the sun, the wind…. I was always just so busy trying to make things work with Dinky or my family or myself, even. I never really…” She turned to Spike. “I never really got to see how beautiful the world was.”

Spike turned his eyes toward her. “I know what you mean. Well, about the world being a beautiful place and stuff.” He reached out a claw to which Derpy gratefully put a hoof onto. “My whole life, I’ve always been so preoccupied with trying to find my place with the other ponies. Trying to figure out what my purpose was. Trying to make sense of a world that, frankly, didn’t make a whole lot of sense. I mean, I’m a dragon, trying to live and grow up with ponies. I just, I always had such a hard time trying to figure things out.”

Derpy nodded and scooched a bit closer to him. She gently leaned over and rested her head on his shoulder.

Spike continued. “Like you said, I never took the time to see how good things were. See how awesome life could be. But with you… I think I finally figured out where I belong. And I guess I really hope you feel the same way.”

He didn’t bother looking, but he could her head nod as her soft fur brushed against him.

“Spike?”

“Yeah?” he responded.

“I, uhm…” She sniffled, trying to hold back a few tears. “I don’t want the world to turn ugly again. I want you to be here with me. You make the world so much prettier.”

Spike could feel his lip start to quiver and his throat get sore as he tried to hold back what would inevitably be an endless amount of sobs. For the sake of whatever self-confidence he had left after the nonsense known as the last few days, he did not want those tears to fall. Because at this point, they wouldn’t just fall, they’d crash around him. He was fortunately able to keep it under control, however, and wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close to him.

“Hey, Derpy, you don’t need me to see how awesome the world can be,” he said, gently stroking her fur. “It’s always been a beautiful place. We just helped each other to see it.”

He could feel her start to shiver within his embrace, so he decided to play it real smooth, and switch positions with his mare to where he was sitting behind her, one leg on either side. He wrapped both of his arms around her and held her close to his chest while resting his head on her shoulder.

“But…” She said weakly, eyes closed. “Then why does everything feel so cold when you’re gone?”

Spike smiled. “Probably because we’re meant to be together or some romantic jazz like that. But, as long as I have anything to say about it…” He used his claw to tilt her head to the side and looked into her eyes. “I’m not going anywhere.”

He pursed his lips together and pulled her into a deep kiss. For a moment, it was purely one-sided. He could even feel a few stray tears drip from her eyes and run onto his face. But quickly afterward, she turned her body around enough to wrap both of her forelegs around him and pulled herself farther into the kiss.

There was an old trope about kisses lasting only a few seconds but feeling like hours. It never made any sense to Spike. But now… it kind of did. As they held each other in that moment, time meant absolutely nothing. All that mattered was the fact they were together, holding each other, taking in the warm, inviting scent and taste they’ve grown accustomed to. Most importantly though, they were letting themselves be engulfed in the love they had for each other.

And if it was up to him, he wouldn’t just let it last for hours, He’d have it last a lifetime.

As they finally separated, Derpy looked up at him, trying to catch her breath. “I-I… I love you, Spike.”

Spike continued to look into her eyes. “I love you, too. More than anything.”

She grabbed onto one of his claws and held it close to her chest. “Spike… Please don’t leave me. I want you to be with me. I want you to keep helping me see how beautiful the world is… forever.”

Spike used his free claw to hold onto her other hoof. “Derpy, I promise, I’ll always be there for you. No matter what happens… You’ll never have to say goodbye. You trust me, right?”

She darted her eyes down, looking at the claws that held her so tightly. The arms that she wanted to be held by for the rest of her life. And eventually, her eyes travelled to the warm, welcoming face that she knew in her heart belonged to the her one and only love.

“I trust you.”

Author's Note:

Once again, thank you all for reading this story. It means the world to me. All that's left?

The ending.

I plan on releasing all three of the ending chapters at once so you don't have to wait on any cliffhangers for too long.

Guys, it's almost done.